It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:56 pm 

Yawn

Post subject: Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:51 pm 

I'm more concerned than bored. A lot of people were counting their chickens regarding this one and how great a window it would be if we signed him. Still time to go of course but seeing as City have identified a need for a defender and agreed a deal for Laporte makes me wish we could be as prompt - and yes, I know I have no idea what happens behind the scenes but it's making me think of Higuain a little.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 pm 

It's typical Arsenal, wanting to haggle over every penny. Just pay the bloody money. The whole thing stinks of the Suarez fiasco. Just get it done! If we don't, someone will nick him from under our noses. Bloody shambles. No whisper of a centre back that we're desperate for either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:04 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
manuhater wrote:
It's typical Arsenal, wanting to haggle over every penny. Just pay the bloody money. The whole thing stinks of the Suarez fiasco. Just get it done! If we don't, someone will nick him from under our noses. Bloody shambles. No whisper of a centre back that we're desperate for either.

Plenty of time left to complete the deal. Rumour has it that he has to make a court appearance on Monday hence the delay of the deal. I'm pretty sure it will get done as there also seems to be no going back for him as things stand. Also we are being HEAVILY linked with Jonny Evans, I think West Brom just need to finalise a replacement before they sanction the deal for him to leave but things are also looking positiive on that front too. Don't worry Manuhater we'll be fine. :lol: :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:00 am 
Acclaimed member

Let's get one thing out of the way. We didn't go in there with 45m or whatever, they tell us they want 50m instead, and we say "no we would never pay 5m extra". This idea that Arsenal routinely miss out on players because they want to "penny pinch" a "couple million" is a fantasy.

The real question is whether, for instance, this guy is worth 70m transfer fees + wages and bonuses. Or 80m. Or 60m. I can well imagine that our current bids are lower than that, and I can imagine us upping the bid incrementally. Fine. Standard negotiation. But for negotiations to actually fail, it would imply that what Dortmund wanted was substantially above what we could afford or what we'd want to pay.

So what is this guy worth?

If you told me Arsenal may sign Aubameyang last summer, I'd have told you that if we can afford it in any way, we must, no question. Now, it's a little more complicated. He is a bloody great player. He's also 28, going on 29 - he could have 3-4 great seasons left, it could be 1-2. Given how annoying and damaging it's been for the club to shoulder the incumbent wages of even a Theo Walcott in the past, if we fuck up this transfer it will probably cripple our transfers for years.

He's also coming into a team now that does need more firepower (so we don't have to hope Welbeck scores a goal), but already has spent on Lacazette, and seems to really have even more urgent needs in CM and maybe CB. Can we spend 70m on Aubameyang without it crippling our finances for other areas now or in the summer? Now, surely, we must have *some* money after our recent transfer activities. That's not in question. What is in question is whether we can spend 50m on Lacazette, 70m on Aubameyang, resign Ozil, and then have money for quality signings in CM and/or CB next summer. I don't know.

Nobody penny-pinches "Just because", that's as stupid as thinking Wenger is deliberately sabotaging the club to pick up a paycheck. And nobody abandons a deal like this one because of a "couple of million". The question is really how much Dortmund actually want (could be 50m, could be, 60, 70...) and how much money we actually have.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be over the moon if we got him, and I think we should. God knows it would be a ray of sunshine in this dreary season. But if he ends up our top earner with a transfer fee of, say, 60m, it will also be true that this is a big gamble we're playing with a huge chunk of our annual budget.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 pm 

Looks like this is actually gonna happen. From what looked like a terrible window could actually end up being a great one. On a side note I'd hate to see Giroud leave though, he really still has a lot to offer. Seems like Arsenal have to balance the kroanke books though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:49 pm 
Acclaimed member

I think in Giroud's case, Wenger has always wanted to keep him, and it's more about Giroud himself wanting to leave. Not really a money-recoup deal. I love Giroud, but I can understand why he feels the time is right. (If only we'd find a way to flog Welbeck instead...)

The mooted fees of ~50-55m? seem a decent ballpark, a club record for us but a good price for a top striker in today's market.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:04 pm 

Signed and sealed. Welcome to Arsenal :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm 

Will this January's record signing mean that last summer's record signing will be benched from now on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm 

Good luck to Aubameyang- hope he settles well and scores lots of goals.

One thing that bugs me - he is at an age where he should be at his peak... and a player of his calibre is walking into a team that looks likely not see Champions League football for as long as Wenger is in charge (until 2020 I think) by which time he could be in physical decline. What is his motivation for coming to us? What is the motivation for Ozil apparently re-signing for us?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30 pm 
Acclaimed member

Interesting what this will mean for Lacazette but why the hell didn't we go for Aubameyang last summer instead of Lacazette?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 pm 
Trialist

Just hope he settles and scores goals quickly, as Sanchez did. It’s important we did this deal to show intent most of all for the team and fans that includes Ozil resigning, good stuff!! We need to keep these players! Shame we’ve lost Giroud to Chelsea though....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:08 pm 
Acclaimed member

Tubzinho wrote:
Interesting what this will mean for Lacazette but why the hell didn't we go for Aubameyang last summer instead of Lacazette?

Because he would likely have cost at least 80m, if Dortmund even entertained an offer at all?

Until very recently Aubameyang was well recognised by many as "pie in the sky" signing for Arsenal: wonderful, but just unrealistic in terms of how much he would cost to pry him away from BVB who know they have a world class asset. It is only after he really made the situation untenable and got older by another 6 months that we got him for what is still a club record offer.

*shrug* This is also why we didn't sign Lacazette in previous seasons; we knew he is good but we wanted to hold out for someone better. Now that we finally pull the trigger, this happens. :lol:

I'm very excited to see him, because regardless of other circumstances he is a player I never expected we'd be able to snag. Now, whether this will actually improve our performances as a team or our fortunes is a different question...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:27 pm 
Acclaimed member

arcaliea wrote:
Tubzinho wrote:

Because he would likely have cost at least 80m, if Dortmund even entertained an offer at all?

Well we won't know about his availability but it feels to me a bit like buying the cheaper option out of two things, realising its not quite what you wanted and then having to go out and buy the more expensive thing anyway. I think Lacazette is a good player but Arsenal do not play to his strengths at all, preferring to continue to play like Giroud is up front. I understand that at the start of the season as he is a new player but we are in January and I haven't seen much progression with that.

I really hope that this isn't an effort to appease the fans with a massive signing after losing our best player and we have a real plan as to how this will work and targetting Aubameyang is part of an overall strategy and solution. I like Aubameyang, I think he is a exceptional player, a better striker than Lacazette and he is the calibre of player we should be targetting and purchasing. I really hope as well we learn how to play to his strengths because he is the type of striker who can elevate us back into the Champions League with the right service.

I don't understand why we would spend what we did on Aubameyang AND Lacazette and then play a formation with one up top, meaning that one of them will be out of their best and preferred position or even benched. Arsenal have struggled for the last two seasons with their style of play after the 4-2-3-1 seemed to hit a brick wall last season and it could be that Wenger has a master plan to change the way we play. It could also be that we are just signing names and chaos will continue to reign. I really don't know what to think anymore. We'll just have to wait and see and see how this all pans out really. But it is encouraging that there are some good players there to work with for the right manager and that we haven't seen the complete decimation of the squad that I feared would happen if both Ozil and Sanchez left.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 pm 
Acclaimed member

There's always a narrative.

When we sought world class strikers, and decided to bide our time (precisely so we don't buy a 'cheaper option' and then get stuck with him), people argued that this is senile Wenger being stubborn and refusing to look at the realities of the market. If we were to say, 'we have Lacazette, we will not sign Aubameyang who is available for 55m', this would have created massive uproar - softhearted Wenger again, not ruthless enough, not signing quality because it would 'kill' the internal option.

And now that we do go out and get a class striker, you want to suggest... what? That Aubameyang was available for the same 55m and we bought Lacazette that we never really wanted just to be skinflint about 5 or 10 million?

I'm so tired of the various implications or impressions that we purchase club record signings primarily to "appease" the fans, or that we regularly make all of our decisions precisely to "save" two or five million pounds. It's baseless and not a rational assessment of the facts as we know them.

What is actually important is the clear, concrete signs of incompetence and mismanagement. Questions like - why can't we get more out of Lacazette? Will we be able to get him to work together with Aubameyang? Why weren't we able to improve our worst areas, CM/Defence, in any way? Why is our defending so much worse than what it should be on paper, anyway?

There's really two possibilities - Wenger has some plan (however good or bad) to use these new players he has, or - and sadly, I'd say this is more likely - he saw the team was so bad, and so malfunctioning, that he had to change something, and he simply focused on buying the most quality players that were available on the market. Well, he succeeded in getting pretty quality players at that, but now he will have to come up with some way to make it work...