It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stevan Jovetic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm 
Managing Editor

Viola deny Jovetic-Arsenal deal
By Football Italia staff

http://www.football-italia.net/32415/vi ... senal-deal?

A FIFA agent claims Stevan Jovetic “has already given the go-ahead to move to Arsenal,” but Fiorentina assured “there has been no offer.”

The Montenegro international has praised the Gunners in several recent interviews and could be due a transfer worth around €30m. “Jovetic was among the possible options for Juventus, but my information is that the boy has already given the go ahead to move to Arsenal,” FIFA agent Guido Di Domenico told IlSussidiario.

“He seems intrigued by their project and really could fly out to England.” However, Fiorentina sources hit back at the rumours and told the same Italian website that “there has been no offer for Stevan. “We are absolutely not thinking about or discussing his future with anyone. All that counts right now is the final battle in Serie A.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 am 

30m? Not as long as we have Arsene Wenger as our manager...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 pm 

Dannyg, you have a bit of the "muckygooners" about you these days. I'm guessing you've had enough?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm 

garthgooner wrote:
Dannyg, you have a bit of the "muckygooners" about you these days. I'm guessing you've had enough?

You could say that :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:23 pm 
Managing Editor

Arsenal Agree £24m Fee and Personal Terms Ahead of Move to Sign Fiorentina Striker Stevan Jovetic
by Christian Bailey April 24th, 2013

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/04/24 ... n-jovetic/

Arsenal have reportedly moved a massive step closer to securing a deal to sign long term target Stevan Jovetic. Arsene Wenger has been in negotiations to complete a move to capture the in-form 23 year old dubbed the ‘New Robin Van Persie’ after agreeing personal terms with the Fiorentina striker.

The Gunners boss has successfully moved to secure funds to offer the Montenegro international a four year deal worth an estimated £100k a week and have reached a tacit agreement with the Stadio Artemio Franchi side over a fee for the young attacker.

Fiorentina had been angling for a fee of as much as €35m (£29m) but appear ready to accept an offer of £24m, which will see the North London side smash their club transfer record. Vincenzo Montella has apparently insisted that any completed move would not be made public as he doesn’t want to disrupt his side’s push for to secure a Champions League berth.

Montella’s side currently sit in fourth spot just a point off a top three finish that would help Fiorentina return to Europe’s premier cup competition for the first time in four seasons. The young Viola manager may fear that news of a confirmed deal could lead to a backlash from the club’s supporters at a key stage of the season.

Indeed the Serie A manager may recall that Lukas Podolski was unable to prevent his Koln side from relegation from the Bundesliga in his last season at the club, with his future move to Arsenal having been all but agreed some months earlier and perhaps having a knock on effect in the club’s battle to beat the drop.

Montella has already brought in a long term replacement for Jovetic in the form of former Man United and Villarreal forward Giuseppe Rossi, who Fiorentina were happy to sign in January despite the 26 year old still being sidelined with a long term knee injury.

Arsene Wenger has been keen to supplement his Arsenal attack and has been monitoring Jovetic for the best part of a year and has been pleased with his consistent Serie A form. The Fiorentina forward has scored an impressive 26 goals in his last 53 top tier starts.

Wenger will not look to offload Olivier Giroud to make room for Jovetic, despite the French international’s average, if not spectacular, first season with the club. Rather the Arsenal boss will look to make room for the Fiorentina man by offloading a myriad of strikers in his squad that are seemingly very much surplus to requirements.

The likes of Nicklas Bendtner, Marouane Chamakh and Park Chu-Young will all be permanently moved on this summer whilst a number of other peripheral members of Arsenal’s playing staff will be sold to help ease the wage burden on the club’s balance sheet.

Jovetic is said to be a target of a number of sides but has set his sights on a Premier League switch over apparent interest from other Serie A sides. Fiorentina purchased the talented forward from Partizan Belgrade in May 2008 for a fee in the region of £8m and Jovetic has gone on to become something of a cult hero with the club’s supporters. After initially struggling for consistent form and then suffering a lengthy absence with a cruciate ligament injury Stevan Jovetic has grown to become one of the club’s top performers over the past two years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:12 am 

"Average, if not spectacular" isn't that the same thing? :roll:

I'm not getting my hopes up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

He's a quality player, but I think the fact that no other media outlets have picked up on this shows that it's not exactly a confirmed deal let alone close to being one.

I'd still love him at Arsenal though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:52 am 
Acclaimed member

Despite his obvious quality, I still remained concerned about the state of his knee's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:56 am 

I've never seen him play. What type of striker/player is he? Is he left-footed? Can he play in the lone striker role?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

jasafc_88 wrote:
I've never seen him play. What type of striker/player is he? Is he left-footed? Can he play in the lone striker role?

From what I have seen of him he is a strong skilful player, capable going either way, with a good shot on him. He is more of a second striker type but can be used along the front line. He is a very good player and when on form he can be fantastic. He certainly would be a quality acquisition if brought in.

My concern though is that I think he has had two ACL injuries already in his career and I don't know how strong his knee's are, particularly with the pace of the Premier League.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:04 pm 

Tubzinho wrote:
jasafc_88 wrote:

From what I have seen of him he is a strong skilful player, capable going either way, with a good shot on him. He is more of a second striker type but can be used along the front line. He is a very good player and when on form he can be fantastic. He certainly would be a quality acquisition if brought in.

My concern though is that I think he has had two ACL injuries already in his career and I don't know how strong his knee's are, particularly with the pace of the Premier League.

Thanks Tubzinho.

Having gone through an ACL rupture and reconstruction myself, knowing that he's had 2 ACL injuries is indeed a big concern. Some players never reach the same level post-ACL injury, like Essien/Owen. However if those injuries were quite a while ago, and he has hit his top level since coming back from the injuries, his knees should be ok. Generally speaking, they are stronger once the person has returned from an ACL reconstruction. Obviously if there were additional injuries like cartilage damage, etc, then it's not that simple.

I guess my point is that as long as he's performing well now, and successfully passes a full medical, you'd hope he would be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:25 pm 
Acclaimed member

Technically, Jovetic is everything you would want in an Arsenal forward. He has a really good touch and ability to dribble. As Tubz said, he can take defenders either side, although as he is predominantly right-footed his preference is to cut inside. He has quite a good physicality, being over 6ft and handles the presence of defenders well. Not sure about his aerial ability, that is not something I have ever noticed.

I've always seen Jovetic as more of an advanced wide left player than a line-leading forward, or alternatively someone who can play deeper. Certainly, he plays deeper for Montenegro, with Vucinic the point forward.

However, glancing at his stats, he has bagged 26 goals in Serie A from 53 appearances in the last two seasons, suggesting they may be using him in a role different to the inside left position he held previously.

Re: injury, he missed the 2010-2011 season with the cruciate injury, but returned with 27 league apps in 2011 and has seemingly featured in 26 of Fiorentina's 33 games this season, so he seems somewhat durable. Assuming no longterm issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:49 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

I wouldn't see him as the focal point of our attack, rather as the left side of the front 3 as LG says.He would certainly be an improvement on any of the current options we have there.

Although saying that, he wouldn't be my first choice signing this summer by a long way.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:13 am 
Acclaimed member

Arsenal in advanced talks to land Jovetic as they target two marquee striker signings
By Wayne Veysey May 7, 2013 7:32:00
http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusi ... wo?ICID=OP

Arsenal are in advanced talks with Fiorentina to sign Stevan Jovetic and are also eyeing up a second marquee striker signing this summer. Manager Arsene Wenger is targeting some of Europe's stellar forwards, with Robert Lewandowski and Edin Dzeko among those on his shortlist. The Premier League club opened preliminary negotiations with Fiorentina about Jovetic a number of weeks ago and have now intensified their interest after being given encouragement that the Serie A club are willing to sell their prize asset this summer. Fiorentina’s public stance is that they value Jovetic between €30-€35 million but Arsenal are confident of agreeing a fee for less than €23m. The Gunners are likely to start the bidding at around the €20m mark soon after the Premier League transfer window opens on May 20.

It is understood that the north Londoners are also eyeing up a second big-name centre-forward signing this summer as Wenger harbours doubts over the ability of wide forwards Lukas Podolski and Theo Walcott to lead the front line. Arsenal are in contact with the representatives of Borussia Dortmund’s in-demand spearhead Lewandowski and are also keeping close tabs on Manchester City striker Dzeko. As reported by Goal last month, Bayern Munich remain in pole position to capture Lewandowski, either this summer or in 12 months’ time when his Dortmund contract expires, ahead of a number of English suitors, including Manchester United and City. The Gunners have been linked with QPR’s Loic Remy, who has a relegation clause in his contract and will leave Loftus Road this summer, but it is understood that Arsenal are not interested in the Frenchman and have higher profile targets lined up.

Goal revealed last month that Arsenal know their hopes of landing Jovetic are dependent upon them securing a top-four Premier League place, an increasingly likely possibility given the club’s strong finish to the season. Early talks with the 23-year-old’s camp had revealed that the Montenegro international is keen on moving to Emirates Stadium but one of his prime concerns is to play in next season's Champions League. The Gunners do not believe they will be able to sign the forward without the carrot of Europe's biggest stage, something that City, another of the clubs pursuing the player, will almost certainly be able to offer. Arsenal’s early push for Jovetic and plans to move for another forward is indicative of Wenger’s desire to spend big in this summer’s transfer market, with a new goalkeeper, centre-back, midfield anchorman and right-back to replace the outgoing Bacary Sagna also on his wanted list. As revealed by Goal, Sochaux’s Sebastien Corchia has been lined up as a €5.1m replacement for Sagna.

FA Cup finalists City negotiated first option on Jovetic when they bought his former team-mate Matija Nastasic on deadline day last August for €14m. But the Montenegrin is likely to be a fall-back option only if City fail to secure the signing of one of their A-list striker targets, headed by Napoli's Edinson Cavani. City pursued Jovetic as part of a double swoop last summer but Fiorentina held on to the 23-year-old fans’ favourite amid fears of a huge backlash from supporters if they sold him. It is understood that Jovetic agreed to remain in Florence for another season on the proviso that he can leave in the forthcoming window.

And also...

'Jovetic feels unloved at Fiorentina' - Toni
By Frank Tigani May 10, 2013 8:44:00
http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/20 ... ni?ICID=OP

Luca Toni has fuelled speculation Stevan Jovetic could leave Fiorentina after revealing the forward feels "unloved" at the club. Jovetic is the Viola's leading goalscorer this season but has struggled for form of late - failing to find the back of the net since March. But that has not stopped growing rumours linking him with a move to Arsenal and it now appears the Montenegrin striker could well be on his way after Toni made a telling revelation. "Stevan feels the Fiorentina fans treat him without love," Toni told a press conference. Everybody says that the player's struggles will end when he starts scoring again. The way I see it in this difficult period is that Jovetic is only supported when he is making a difference on the field. At the moment, there is no enthusiasm towards him - he does not feel loved." Jovetic has scored 12 times in 29 appearances this season, with the Viola sat in fourth spot and doing battle with third-placed AC Milan for the final Champions League slot.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:45 pm 
Managing Editor

I sense this one is done and maybe its one of two attackers. Quite a lot of noise about Jevotic plus Higuain or Lewondowski which would be a massive sep forward.