It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Julian Draxler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 pm 
Managing Editor

Arsene Wenger to splash the cash on Julian Draxler
By: John RichardsonPublished: Sun, April 21, 2013

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... an-Draxler

ARSENAL are closing in on Schalke’s £15million-rated teenager Julian Draxler as manager Arsene Wenger prepares to start spending. Wenger, who has now gone eight years without winning a trophy, is sitting on a £70m transfer kitty – and with orders to spend it to help keep some of his critics at bay.

Draxler, 19, who already has four Germany caps, has been watched regularly by Gunners scouts and has also attracted the interest of other top sides including Real Madrid. But this summer Wenger is anxious not to miss out on his targets even if it means paying inflated fees – something he has been loath to sanction in the past. Schalke will allow their influential midfielder to leave in the summer for the right price – and that would be around £15m.

Post subject: Re: Julian Draxler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 am 

What's this player like Jules is he rated in Germany, is he ready for the PL, would he fit in or suit Arsenal.

Feel's like we're going after the poormans Goetze/and or Reus. I could be wrong, but since we have no chance of signing either of those two we're making do with Draxler that's even if we are interested in him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 am 

Barksdale wrote:
What's this player like Jules is he rated in Germany, is he ready for the PL, would he fit in or suit Arsenal.

Feel's like we're going after the poormans Goetze/and or Reus. I could be wrong, but since we have no chance of signing either of those two we're making do with Draxler that's even if we are interested in him.

True, but then we identified Reus and Goetze when they were Draxler's age and missed the boat when we could afford them, so that's no bad thing if Draxler is of similar quality.

Would appreciate someone telling me more about him though.. over to you Jules or LoneGunner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:57 pm 

I love the bit about Wenger being 'ordered' to spend some money :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:05 pm 

He has stated a preference for playing in Spain on more than one occasion. His contract runs through 2016 and I think Schalke will be desperate to hold on as he has taken the role Holtby held as a number 10 and is probably the whole reason they felt comfortable letting Holtby depart. What I do know is he is good with both feet and has a good outside shot, but have not seen enough to offer much more. Would be a possible Rosicky replacement to alternate with Cazorla. Definitely worth looking at, but will Wenger spend what is required to get him, not according to his track record.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:28 pm 
Acclaimed member

Personally I don't think he bears comparison to Gotze or Reus, as a 'poor man's choice'. He is a very good footballer in his own right, one I would be delighted to see playing for Arsenal. He reminds me strongly of Cristiano Ronaldo in his early Manchester Utd years, in the sense that he is a very rangy wideman at 6"1 or 6"2, yet combines that height with rapid pace and outstanding dribbling ability for his age, and the potential to bemuse defenders with genuine two-footed ability.

He is not the most natural finisher yet, one element of his game which should improve over time, although he has still scored 11-12 goals this season. He missed a few weeks of the campaign with a broken wrist but has otherwise proven quite durable so far in his career, and only missed something like a handful of Bundesliga game for Schalke last season.

Mario Gotze is the darling of the media. I see him as an advanced central midfielder more than anything, Cazorla's role, and as such would prefer to see Draxler at Arsenal. That is high praise indeed (and I expect to be in the minority), but I think Draxler's pace and ability to beat players makes him a genuine counterattacking proposal. He is only 19 years old - roughly 18 months younger than Gotze - and already has two and a half seasons of Bundesliga action behind him. Positionally he would compete (take) Podolski's role in the side, advanced left wing/left attack. That is his position.

He will be some player.

Last edited by LoneGunner on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 pm 

Thanks LG for putting me straight, and as such I am genuinely more leen to see some development on this potential signing.

My poorman's comment was borne out of frustration as we have continually identified players (according to hear-say) and then ended up signing the lesser player, ala Gervinho instead of Hazard. So that's where that comes from.

But your analysis of Draxler has definitely piqued my interest, I'm hoping that there is some firm interest behinf this rumour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 am 

I can see Dortmund being very interested in this chap after losing Götze.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:01 am 

Was thinking exactly the same thing Jules.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm 
Managing Editor

Jules wrote:
I can see Dortmund being very interested in this chap after losing Götze.

No surprise - Bayern preyed upon Dortmund and Dortmund look to do the same to rivals Schalke.

Borussia Dortmund join Arsenal in race for Schalke midfielder

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... z2RV6q3Hji

Borussia Dortmund could be ready to spend big to prize Arsenal target Julian Draxler away from Schalke this summer. The Bundesliga champions are flush with cash after agreeing to sell midfielder Mario Gotze to Bayern Munich for £32m and look set to invest at the end of the season.

And there could be more money on its way with Robert Lewandowski, who hit four past Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-final first leg, being linked with a move away. And now reports in Germany have suggested that Dortmund could spend some of their funds on teenage sensation Draxler to replace Gotze in the heart of their midfield.

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch the 19-year-old this season and Arsene Wenger is a big fan of the Germany international, who became the youngest Schalke player to make 100 appearances for the club last month.
But now Dortmund have joined the race and will have no problem shelling out £15m to meet Schalke's reported asking price.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 pm 

Bild-interview with Schalke's manager Horst Heldt. They don't want to sell Draxler, want to keep him as long as possible... the usual stuff. He knows nothing about Dortmund's interest in the player but emphasized that he is a "Schalker".

Nothing too interesting, however, Heldt also said: You cannot hold it against Draxler that he wants to play at his dream club in Spain one day. "If Barcelona or Real approach us and offer 100 million, the situation is different."

Anything can happen, but the fact that the player dreams about Spain doesn't make me optimistic.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

Just been announced that Draxler has signed a contract extension until 2018.

Great news for Schalke.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:09 pm 

-Jk- wrote:
Just been announced that Draxler has signed a contract extension until 2018.

Great news for Schalke.

Schalke's manager Horst Heldt has just denied this, saying that nothing is finalised yet and that no update will be announced during today either.

A move to Dortmund seems to be pretty much off the cards due to the players' affiliations with Schalke, by the way. At least that's what the managers from both clubs and Draxler himself have said.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

Damn Twitter and it's mischievousness.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:36 am 

Strange, hours after their manager denied that Draxler's contract has been extended, they announced that the player's contract has been extended until 2018. Buyout clause of £38m, the highest in German football, salary of £2,5m per year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next