It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Riyad Mahrez
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:53 am 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... in-france/

The sun came up with some breaking news regarding Mahrez joining arsenal :D
If this is true it will be an amazing signing! Hopefully it will be the end for Walcott and not for Chamberlain as The Ox can still develop and has more to offer than Theo.

Post subject: Re: Riyad Mahrez
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:40 am 
Acclaimed member

In terms of what he offered Leicester last year he'd be great for us, but the question is how he can find his role when he's not surrounded by a midfield that looks to him as the creative outlet, and whether a frontline of Alexis-Giroud-Mahrez actually lets the latter get into the spaces that works for him.

We've had a frenzy of entirely stupid, unsubstantiated rumours as journos troll fans with one name then another, so let's wait and see if any of it is real.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:42 pm 

Heard him described as "a winger" on Sky news this morning. I had him down as more of a midfield playmaker, if he's earmarked as a replacement for Walcott then fair enough, but surely the out and out striker has to be the number 1 priority. If this were instead of a striker then I'd be very much against it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:13 pm 
Acclaimed member

Of course this may be utter rubbish. But a wide man that regularly chips in with goals is always welcome and we have Sanchez in that role on the left but no one consistent on the other side. Given his ability to beat players as well, Mahrez in my opinion would be an upgrade on the right side of our attack over the likes of Walcott, Chamberlain and potentially Ramsey. And I think he would be able to link up no problems with the likes of Ozil and Giroud.

I can't see Wenger paying £40 million though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:00 pm 

Leicester have announced that he has signed a new deal. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:36 am 
Acclaimed member

I doubt we ever actually bid for him. And I'm fine with that - in any other context, people would have been crying "yet another slim and tricky winger-cum-playmaker? Wenger out".

Just... get the signings we actually need. For once.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:11 am 

Whilst I agree with the "yet another small tricky winger come playmaker" comment, what I would say is there is nothing wrong with getting rid of one or two of the non performing "small tricky winger come playmakers" we have and upgrading to a Mahrez. But as you say highly unlike we were ever in for him just newspaper tittle tattle. And yes just get the people in where we're short. Perhaps upgrading another time. We can always hope.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:24 am 

Far, far superior to any RWF options we have. An attainable player, with no other big clubs in for him, that we could have had a free run at.

Why aren't we actively trying to ship out those that clearly aren't good/consistent enough to make space for a player like Mahrez to take us up another level?

Helps lessen the goal burden on Sanchez/Giroud, and the creativity burden on Ozil. We are terrible at creating chances if Ozil isn't around. Mahrez isn't just a tricky small winger - he's proven goals and assists. Genuine ball quality from a wide position which we know Wenger craves.

This has annoyed me more than the striker situation. At least with the striker it's clear there's extremely limited options available that are better than Giroud. A "Mahrez-type" signing was a no brainer this summer. I'm gutted at the lack of ambition, as I really thought Wenger would go all out for his final season*.

* Yes, I know it's probably not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:42 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
jasafc_88 wrote:
Far, far superior to any RWF options we have. An attainable player, with no other big clubs in for him, that we could have had a free run at.

Why aren't we actively trying to ship out those that clearly aren't good/consistent enough to make space for a player like Mahrez to take us up another level?

Helps lessen the goal burden on Sanchez/Giroud, and the creativity burden on Ozil. We are terrible at creating chances if Ozil isn't around. Mahrez isn't just a tricky small winger - he's proven goals and assists. Genuine ball quality from a wide position which we know Wenger craves.

This has annoyed me more than the striker situation. At least with the striker it's clear there's extremely limited options available that are better than Giroud. A "Mahrez-type" signing was a no brainer this summer. I'm gutted at the lack of ambition, as I really thought Wenger would go all out for his final season*.

* Yes, I know it's probably not.

Mahrez I agree is a decent player but like Block132 said can he do it consistently? Nobody even considered Mahrez when Leicester were on the brink of relegation and now all of a sudden he is te answer!!??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:01 pm 
Acclaimed member

Team South East wrote:
can he do it consistently?

Winning the player of the year award is a fair suggestion that he is consistent.

In Arsenal's position - unable to compete for the truly world class players (except the ones that are underappreciated by their club; Cech, Ozil, Sanchez), we don't have the luxury of waiting for a player to have two or three years at a top class/world class level; by that point, we are in a position where we will certainly be outgunned by the financially doped clubs, or can't afford the player irrespective.

We need to move decisively for players that are:

a) attainable
b) look ready to become top-level players.

Everything about Mahrez's performance last season (and, actually, in the final third of 2014-15 too) fits the second criteria. He is a difference-maker par excellence and offers a range of attributes that we would find very useful indeed.

On that note, I found a recent quote by Luis Enrique rather interesting. On Barcelona's squad: "Any player that can improve the squad, which is not easy, the club will be open to the possibility of bringing him in." Contrast that to Arsenal, where the common denominator is always along the lines of; 'it is not easy to find the player', and so very rarely the latter.

Therein lies the current difference in mentality; we will happily mooch along with underperforming players and pass up reasonable opportunities to upgrade our situation, even ones that are certainly financially viable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:44 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
Team South East wrote:
can he do it consistently?

Winning the player of the year award is a fair suggestion that he is consistent.

In Arsenal's position - unable to compete for the truly world class players (except the ones that are underappreciated by their club; Cech, Ozil, Sanchez), we don't have the luxury of waiting for a player to have two or three years at a top class/world class level; by that point, we are in a position where we will certainly be outgunned by the financially doped clubs, or can't afford the player irrespective.

We need to move decisively for players that are:

a) attainable
b) look ready to become top-level players.

Everything about Mahrez's performance last season (and, actually, in the final third of 2014-15 too) fits the second criteria. He is a difference-maker par excellence and offers a range of attributes that we would find very useful indeed.

On that note, I found a recent quote by Luis Enrique rather interesting. On Barcelona's squad: "Any player that can improve the squad, which is not easy, the club will be open to the possibility of bringing him in." Contrast that to Arsenal, where the common denominator is always along the lines of; 'it is not easy to find the player', and so very rarely the latter.

Therein lies the current difference in mentality; we will happily mooch along with underperforming players and pass up reasonable opportunities to upgrade our situation, even ones that are certainly financially viable.

Don't you find it odd that no one else has tried to buy him? Player of the season and all, and at Leicester, no disrespect. Either he's not rated or everyone knew he was happy enough at Leicester and was just after a pay rise. The latter I'd say.

Re your Luis Enrique quote, sorry, I don't see the difference. Both are saying it's not easy and we too are always open to the possibility of improving our squad, if we can afford them, Wenger has said that numerous times.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:15 pm 
Acclaimed member

block132 wrote:
Re your Luis Enrique quote, sorry, I don't see the difference.

The difference is that we pay lip-service to the possibility of improving, but demonstrate precious little motivation to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:08 am 

block132 wrote:
Don't you find it odd that no one else has tried to buy him? Player of the season and all, and at Leicester, no disrespect. Either he's not rated or everyone knew he was happy enough at Leicester and was just after a pay rise. The latter I'd say.

To be completely honest, no. It doesn't make one bit of difference to me if a player is wanted by other clubs or not. From what I've seen, he is a drastic (and consistent) improvement to our attacking first team and we should have sacrificed an under-performer for him.

City, Chelsea, Utd, Barca, Madrid and Bayern all have excellent and mostly world-class RW options in their squad. We do not.

Kante went to Chelsea without any bids from anyone else. Does that mean he's not that good? We were relatively unopposed to signing Ozil weren't we...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:55 am 

OK, I will always hold my hand up when I am wrong. Nothing we can do now so let's see how his season pans out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:50 pm 

http://www.sportbible.com/football/tran ... k-20170702

It seems like the Mahrez deal is in again after failing in with a bid for Lemar.
Both are really good players, but both are little bit similar to Ozil. So will it also be the end for Ozil? I truely believe Ozil is staying, but if we are playing the 3-4-3 system then our front three will be Ozil-Lacazette-Sanchez?
I don't see Mahrez as a direct replacement for Sanchez as they are so different. We need more a striker ala Mbappe or Martial who are both more direct.

Ultimate dream... Sanchez, Ozil both staying. Mahrez a replacement for Walcott whon I would like us to sell as I don't see any place for him in our new formation.