It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Szczesny
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:26 am 

There are rumours today that Juve will sign Szczesny for 14m. Madness.

We will be desperately looking for a keeper in 1-2 years, when Cech is gone. Good luck finding someone in Szczesny's range for under 30m. That fag in the shower must really have pissed Wenger off.

Post subject: Re: Szczesny
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

Confirmed he has gone. The two years on loan to Roma made sense, sometimes a change of setting can help and he was stagnating here, for his career and his long term development he needed to go away. So he went to Italy, seems to made a good name for himself and presumably rebuilt his confidence, got his head right, developed as a player so worked perfectly for us.

Then we sell him. Our options are Ospina who may want to leave and is a good but not top class keeper and an ageing Cech who has perhaps not quite lived up to hopes when we signed him. Surely we could have given Szczesny a chance to take the shirt here?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:26 pm 

Don't get this either. We had all the costs of developing him as a player, and then sell him for a low fee so someone else can reap the benefits. On a personal level, he clearly loves Arsenal. A real shame to see him go.

Wenger's explanation was that "we have so many top-class goalkeepers" at the club. I don't see them. :puzzled:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:59 pm 
Acclaimed member

I don't understand it either. I wonder if Szcz himself also decided it was time to move? He may have felt that there's a strong chance to be Juve's #1 (I don't know if Buffon's retiring this year or next year), he may have felt Italy really suited him personally and footballistically, he may have felt that coming back to Arsenal would put him back in a difficult environment, that is if he could even get as many games as he wants.

Honestly, I would have promised him the first ten matches, to see if he can take the top spot from Cech, and consider that more important than keeping the other keepers happy. Perhaps there were no suitors for Ospina, and Wenger had to make a decision with so many players needing to be sold. Still, it is very upsetting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:15 pm 
Acclaimed member

Two years ago he was irritating me with his performances, but I had a lot of affection for Szczesny nonetheless. We've loaned him out for two seasons to sharpen up, which he has done - arguably the keeper of Serie A last season - and then we sell him for a price less than some mediocre Championship players?! Whilst having a 36 year old GK who is very replaceable, I would be inclined to argue.

Yes he had 12 months remaining, but his press conference yesterday didn't smack of a player happy to leave Arsenal. He is a good six years off his prime, could still have been a longterm Arsenal keeper.

Poor business and, without knowing all the facts, what looks like a poor decision.