It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oxlade-Chamberlain
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:24 am 
Acclaimed member

...is off to Chelsea for ~35m, all reports seem pretty certain.

In other circumstances, I think a lot of folks might have been OK with this. Guy just won't seem to break through and really show his quality, clearly doesn't want to play on the wing, won't sign his contract, goes for a good fee and isn't certain to improve our rivals (just as likely to warm some benches).

Of course, right now, probably nothing is good news except for selling Debuchy or buying Messi.

You wonder, once again, just what our transfer plan was back in May, and whether Wenger ever expected to have to sell Ox with just five days to go in the market. I guess at least one positive is that Bellerin and Kolasinac can actually start a game in their real positions..

Post subject: Re: Oxlade-Chamberlain
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:17 am 

Even though we're deep in crisis (which is a comparative position many fans would love their club to be in, e.g. Sunderland but screw them, this is a bad time for us) I have no problem with this move. Some rumours that he would rather go to Liverpool but either way, get rid. Another Van Persie without the decent last season. Injury prone, gives the ball away in vital areas and a slightly better version of Walcott, which isn't an accolade.

As in the analysis thread, if he goes to Liverpool his body won't cope with the gegenpress and at Chelsea, he will be under a new manager in 2 years tops who may decide that Roman's roubles can improve on him.

He's getting praise from ex pros (Soccer Saturday panel) for making it clear it's a football thing and not a money thing - he's loaded and set for life so he isn't making a sacrifice. What they haven't said is, that by leaving (allegedly) because he isn't happy with playing wing back, he is basically saying, "I am not prepared to play anywhere for this team."

Really? Tell that to James Milner if you end up at Liverpool who has played everywhere apart from in goal; tell that to Abou Diaby if you ever bump into him, who ended up on the left wing, when fit, despite being a right footed centre midfielder; tell that to Kolo Toure and (Ralph) Lauren who started as left and right wingers before ending up as centre back and right back respectively. While you're at it, tell it to Santi who would give everything to be able to play right now and hell, do we miss him :(

£35 million if that's the fee will do nicely. I know it won't be reinvested, I know it theoretically strengthens a rival but it's a player we do not need. Fuck him. Get rid and give Reiss Nelson his number. Stop the 3 at the back, it isn't working and don't worry if the door hits his arse on the way out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 pm 
Acclaimed member

My concern is he is our best wing-back and we are down to one right-wing back now. I think there is a player somewhere in Oxlade that we saw last season and at all too infrequent passages during his time here, maybe under another manager like Conte the good side will emerge and for his own career to push on he probably needed to leave. However he was a frustrating player till last season for us and then moaned about being in the one position where he looked good, that suited his ability to surge forward and whip balls in from deep.

However one has to wonder is Conte really going to use him in central midfield and will Oxlade then want out again? He either needs to accept a role he doesn't like for his own career or Conte is going to have do a lot of work on his weak points to turn him into a central midfielder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 pm 

Emperor wrote:
Another Van Persie without the decent last season.

Went to Utd. Scored 20 odd goals. Won the league? :puzzled:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:36 pm 

:lol:

I don't think Ox has scored 20 goals in 6 years let alone 1. Just meant after the club stuck by him through injury and indifferent displays. Feeling a bit sore about this so probably just me being overly bitter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 am 
Acclaimed member

Turned down Chelsea, seemingly because he doesn't want to play wingback.

If that is correct - and I can understand any player wanting to forge their career as they see fit - the Ox has rocks in his head. He is not a central midfielder. Even if he moved to Liverpool, and even if they sell Coutinho, he's a squad player in attacking midfield at best.

For a player who has offered next to fuck all for seven years as an advanced attacker, there should be some realism as to what his strengths are and how best to deploy them. The recent surge in teams playing a wingback system should be manna from heaven for this guy.

Of course, the positional talk could be fake news, but that the story has run for a while suggests there is more than a grain of truth to it. If he doesn't want to commit to Arsenal, good riddance; he as much as anyone is symptomatic of the inconsistent, half-arsed attitude that pervades our club. I do not bemoan his impending departure, although the fact we are willing to let him go two days before the close of the window is equally symptomatic of how ill-run this club is. Not to mention how a player who the club seemingly wasn't that bothered about retaining is now suddenly a player amongst whom the club's future should be built around. :roll:

Last edited by LoneGunner on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:56 am 

'Sources' on Sky Sports and the Beeb are saying he's turned down a £40 million move to Chelsea, with the BBC site saying he thinks Chelsea want him to be a wingback. He appears to prefer Liverpool, so it could hinge on what they thought of his audition on Sunday.

Sorry LG :thumbup:
Jules feel free to delete mine as I have nothing new to offer. Tonight, Matthew, I am going to be Michael Owen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:02 am 
Acclaimed member

On the subject of wingbacks, I wonder if Chamberlain's departure might also signify an intention from Wenger to move away from the 3412, whether recent events may see a loss of faith.

Bellerin, an ace rightback, has been a very rudimentary wingback to date. We have no natural backup; Chambers is more suited to a flat rightback than wingback, and we don't seem to want to keep him anyway. The potential replacement could be Reiss Nelson, who from pre-season I though looked easily the most gifted U21 player we've had since Fabregas. But he's also clearly a makeshift, Chamberlain-style wingback at the present time.

Short of signing someone at the eleventh hour, we don't have a realistic backup option to Bellerin. Unless Wenger felt Nelson could be thrown in, but that has to be suicide in a game where we are outmatched.

Early pre-season we had made a great start; two very capable players in, time to tie down contracts and strengthen further. Two days to go and we have question marks over our formation, question marks at centreback, question marks at wingback, a farce of a central midfield, question marks over Sanchez, zero structure to incoming players in evidence. And what the hell is going on with Mustafi? Why is his possible departure even a thing? Top-to-bottom, scandalous.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:20 am 

I've never worked a day in football (not a dig at Arsene just acknowledgement that I have no clue about tactics etc) but I have never seen the problem with a starting 4-4-2. 4 defenders who can defend, 2 wingers who can run, dribble and cross, with 1 midfielder who will stay back a bit while the other marauds and then 2 decent strikers, 1 of whom may be a 15 goals a season goalmaker while the other scores 20.

To have so many question marks with time rapidly dwindling is depressingly familiar but as you say, top to bottom, it's just awful. Not only do we not have a strong spine to our team, but we don't even have a spine within our infrastructure. We're getting like a southern version of Newcastle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:42 am 

I think the OX deserves a chance in central midfield. When he played there at the start of last season he was impressive. We are still searching for the right central midfield combination. Xhaka-Ramsey worked well at the end of last season, but in the game against Liverpool both were aweful (just like all others)
I would like that we are going back to our 4-3-3. But then different. Usual when we played 4-3-3 we are playing with 2 central midfielders and a number 10 (Ozil). We were often killed in the counter attacks and were poor defensively. I would like us to see playing 1 defensive midfielder and 2 dynamic central midfielders to give more balance in midfield.
Defensive midfield: Xhaka-Coquelin
Central midfielders: Chamberlain, Ramsey and Wilshere.

I think this system could give us more balance and give Chamberlain the role he wants. We are not in balance when Ozil is playing.
Some will say are we not going to miss the assists of Ozil? I saw last season some passes and assists of Chamberlain that I think he can take over but then in a different role.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:15 am 

Reports this morning coming in that Ox turned down Chelsea as he wants to move to Liverpool and Liverpool haven't even contacted Arsenal yet let alone put in a bid.

This could seriously come back to bite him on the arse (no pun intended), his girlfriend is already being trolled on social media by some sections of our fanbase calling him a snake, can you imagine the backlash he will get if he doesn't sign for anyone by Midnight tomorrow and ends up playing for us again in any capacity?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm 
Acclaimed member

I am convinced that vs Bournemouth it will be the 4-2-3-1 that so famously stopped working back end of last season. Therefore Chamberlain will probably find himself redundant here anyway but watch Wenger pick him in central midfield if he is still here...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:07 pm 

Fee agreed with Liverpool according to SSN. They must have been impressed on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:25 pm 
Acclaimed member

Hope we asked for £40m and £1.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:27 pm 

Will be earning 55k a week less than our offer according to Sky... and he's seen as the LT replacement for Milner :lol: :lol: :lol: