It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:10 am 
Acclaimed member

I think very lowly of Benitez. Perhaps, should things turn out that way, he will have a chance to prove me very, very wrong. :wave:

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to feel about any of the names at the moment. It seems very likely that we won't get someone that everybody will feel reassured about. And don't get me wrong, the idea of giving the job to Arteta now fills me with dread, especially since the board would probably do it out of complacency than bravery.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:09 am 

It's going to be Arteta, isn't it? He and Nagelsmann are the favourites now, but as feared, it will end up being a cheap option of whom the board can utilise their best Pontius Pilate impressions.

"New manager not doing well? Well you all wanted change."
"New manager not doing well? Now you realise what a great job Arsene was doing. Be careful what you wish for."
"New manager doing well? We said it would be a catalyst for change."

Picking Arteta would not be the bold move promised, it would be cowardly. Let's pick a novice to manage the 3rd most successful club in football history, just after its most legendary manager has departed. How is it bold?

Bold would be picking someone who said they needed money and would have the nuts to laugh in the face of anyone who said Iwobi, Mustafi and Xhaka should be retained and that they understood how Bendtner and Sanogo once represented Arsenal in the Champions League.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:51 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Emperor wrote:
It's going to be Arteta, isn't it? He and Nagelsmann are the favourites now, but as feared, it will end up being a cheap option of whom the board can utilise their best Pontius Pilate impressions.

"New manager not doing well? Now you realise what a great job Arsene was doing. Be careful what you wish for."

Picking Arteta would not be the bold move promised, it would be cowardly. Let's pick a novice to manage the 3rd most successful club in football history, just after its most legendary manager has departed. How is it bold?

Bold would be picking someone who said they needed money and would have the nuts to laugh in the face of anyone who said Iwobi, Mustafi and Xhaka should be retained and that they understood how Bendtner and Sanogo once represented Arsenal in the Champions League.

Unfair take on things Emperor. Who's to say Arteta, if appointed, wants to keep the players you mentioned? What if he brings the best out of them as he has done with the likes of Sterling this season? The changes started with Wenger in charge with the appointment of mislintat and Sanllehi. What makes you think the likes of allegri and Enrique would work under those conditions? People wanted Gazidis to 'pull his finger out'. We'll isn't he doing this with his 'order 66' style changes being currently made?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:06 am 

arcaliea wrote:
I'd prefer even the high-risk possible trainwreck of Arteta to a Benitez. If we're going to go for Benitez we might as well have kept Wenger.

Allegri has just declared his intentions to stay at Juve. If we should ultimately go for Arteta, I wonder what happened behind the scenes; I'm sure we spoke to Enrique and Allegri at least, even if Simeone or Tuchel might have been no-gos from the start. My money would be that we couldn't attract them, rather than us turning them down.

I could coach the talent they have at City and be successful, organising the shower of shite left behind by Wenger is a different thing entirely. They are only going for him because they don't want to pay out for an experienced leader to dismantle and rebuild. The likes of Cech, Ospina, Chambers, Mustafi, Koscielny, Xhaka, ,Elneny, Iwobi, Welbeck need shipping out and replacing, Ozil needs a size 12 up the arse, I really can't see this happening, but if the club still harbours any credible ambition to actually get back in the Champions League let alone mount a title challenge it needs to. The squad is littered with mediocrity. I'll say it now, if they go for Arteta we'll finish mid table next season!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm 
Acclaimed member

If it is Arteta then it is underwhelming and risky. Not just from the perspective of he has no experience as a manager, which is a massive issue in itself, but also that unless he hits the ground running, this appointment could further divide the fanbase and possibly even internally at the club. But this time it won't be Arteta / the manager who will bear the brunt of it but those at the top. Regardless of how Gazidis and co feel about Arteta, is this the time where we should be taking a risk?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:50 pm 

Emperor wrote:
Picking Arteta would not be the bold move promised, it would be cowardly.

Arteta is sold as a bold and progressive move. Well, let's see whether the board still feels bold and progressive when it comes to making funds available for the much needed overhaul of the squad. A failure to make funds available would prove that Arteta was not a bold, but a cheap move.

I hope I am wrong. I really like Arteta, it's just that I don't trust Gazidis or the Kroenkes.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jules wrote:
Arteta is sold as a bold and progressive move. Well, let's see whether the board still feels bold and progressive when it comes to making funds available for the much needed overhaul of the squad. A failure to make funds available would prove that Arteta was not a bold, but a cheap move.

I hope I am wrong. I really like Arteta, it's just that I don't trust Gazidis or the Kroenkes.

There are two ways of looking at it.

The first is that Gazidis has put in place a team to support Arteta so Arteta essentially focuses on coaching the team. We have a head of recruitment who will look to use the finances of the club in the right way (unlike most coaches now who are free spending) and other jobs outside the coaching sphere Arteta should be focusing on are delegated accordingly to the contracts team, the head of football relaations and others as required. In theory, it makes sense and actually we have bemoaned Wengers absolute power in the past so splitting that power amongst a team is a good thing. Also rather than giving a rookie manager wads of cash to spend we are actually delegating that to a man who has proven elsewhere he can get good value for money in the transfer market. It's a safer option for the club when looking at what Mourinho is doing at United, or Conte wants to do at Chelsea, or what Enrique potentially wanted to come here and manage.

The second more cynical view is that the strategy, to have a team in place, is so blame can be appropriately handed out if it fails. If we fail in the transfer market then the head of recruitment is to blame, if the fans start then the head of football relations is to blame, if the team fail on the pitch then the manager is to blame. With Arteta we are appointing someone who lacks experience of taking on a board for a big club and someone who does not carry the influence a proven name does and also someone who, if it goes wrong, can be gotten rid of on the cheap without too much issue a suggested. It's an easy out for the club and offers protection to those at the very top, who just simply have to hide behind the head of whatever department has failed and say "well they didn't do their job".

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm 

Team South East wrote:
Emperor wrote:

Unfair take on things Emperor. Who's to say Arteta, if appointed, wants to keep the players you mentioned? What if he brings the best out of them as he has done with the likes of Sterling this season? The changes started with Wenger in charge with the appointment of mislintat and Sanllehi. What makes you think the likes of allegri and Enrique would work under those conditions? People wanted Gazidis to 'pull his finger out'. We'll isn't he doing this with his 'order 66' style changes being currently made?

Unfair? Just an opinion. Who's to say Arteta doesn't want to keep those players? Who's to say he will have a choice, given that no one knows the funds available?

You're crediting Arteta with bringing the best out of Sterling? Not Guardiola or a combination, merely Arteta? Wow.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm 

With the strong rumours of Arteta being lined up as Wengers replacement, I wonder what the season ticket renewals situation will be like. With such an underwhelming appointment I can imagine plenty of empty seats at the Emirates next season.

Those who are rooting for Arteta... why not give the job to Pat Rice?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Emperor wrote:
Team South East wrote:
Emperor wrote:

Unfair? Just an opinion. Who's to say Arteta doesn't want to keep those players? Who's to say he will have a choice, given that no one knows the funds available?

You're crediting Arteta with bringing the best out of Sterling? Not Guardiola or a combination, merely Arteta? Wow.

It was Guardiola who personally credited Arteta. This was widely reported a few months back I believe. I'll get behind Arteta as I personally believe he is an intriguing appointment. Although Allegri has credibility and more experience, I can't help but keep thinking to myself 'what if', if we passed up on the option of giving Arteta a go. There MUST be something that the likes of Gazidis/Arsenal Board, Guardiola see in him for him to be lauded as much as he is. With this new setup I just cannot see Allegri being told who is being signed by Mislintat/Sanllehi etc. That would be a step down for him IMO so it makes perfect sense for us to go for a young vibrant manager with fresh ideas.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:39 pm 

muckygooner wrote:
With the strong rumours of Arteta being lined up as Wengers replacement, I wonder what the season ticket renewals situation will be like. With such an underwhelming appointment I can imagine plenty of empty seats at the Emirates next season.

Those who are rooting for Arteta... why not give the job to Pat Rice?

Most fans fell in love with the exciting football we played during the Wenger era. If we can find the defensive balance to add to our flair and technically able players, then why not give Arteta a chance if his ideas match that blueprint. I really don't want us to have another Mourinho on our hands. Utd fans are constantly moaning about the calibre of football they are playing even though they are winning silverware in the process.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:46 pm 

Well people call Arsenal fans entitled, but for Utd to moan when they're doing as they are doing speaks volumes about them. I wouldn't want Mourinho himself but not for boring football but because the guy is a tosser. As for the style of football, I don't think we're about to copy Allardyce or Pulis; we were supposed to be boring under George Graham yet we won the League in '89 because we outscored Liverpool and won it again in '91 with a goal difference of +56.

I know Pep said Arteta was working with Sterling and improving his final product or something, but it isn't as if Sterling was Walcott Mk 2. Rodgers had already got a tune out of him at Anfield and he was a £50 million player on going to City.

I think you're right about Allegri and what he would want to be in charge of, but I wouldn't want to manage a team filled with players I never asked for either.

According to Sky, we have made 'contact' with Vieira but sources suggest he views it as a token gesture and is disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 am 

Tubzinho wrote:
There are two ways of looking at it.

The first is that Gazidis has put in place a team to support Arteta so Arteta essentially focuses on coaching the team. We have a head of recruitment who will look to use the finances of the club in the right way (unlike most coaches now who are free spending) and other jobs outside the coaching sphere Arteta should be focusing on are delegated accordingly to the contracts team, the head of football relaations and others as required. In theory, it makes sense and actually we have bemoaned Wengers absolute power in the past so splitting that power amongst a team is a good thing. Also rather than giving a rookie manager wads of cash to spend we are actually delegating that to a man who has proven elsewhere he can get good value for money in the transfer market. It's a safer option for the club when looking at what Mourinho is doing at United, or Conte wants to do at Chelsea, or what Enrique potentially wanted to come here and manage.

The second more cynical view is that the strategy, to have a team in place, is so blame can be appropriately handed out if it fails. If we fail in the transfer market then the head of recruitment is to blame, if the fans start then the head of football relations is to blame, if the team fail on the pitch then the manager is to blame. With Arteta we are appointing someone who lacks experience of taking on a board for a big club and someone who does not carry the influence a proven name does and also someone who, if it goes wrong, can be gotten rid of on the cheap without too much issue a suggested. It's an easy out for the club and offers protection to those at the very top, who just simply have to hide behind the head of whatever department has failed and say "well they didn't do their job".

I admit that I am leaning towards the cynical viewpoint right now. I fear that this is a power grab by Gazidis. (Note that Arteta is said to be his choice, apparently Raul Sanllehi and Sven Mislintat would have favoured other candidates.)

That being said, I can see where the more balanced view is coming from. Although, even from this more balanced perspective, it's not a necessity to appoint such an inexperienced coach. I mean, we tried to get very experienced people for recruitment and contracts, why didn't we go for an established coach as well? If we accept that it needs experience for recruitment and contracts, why become adventurous when it comes to the coach?

It's interesting that Gazidis is sacking so many people, from Primorac over Banfield and Peyton to Colin Lewin. You would think that it would make sense to keep some inside knowledge at the club if a rookie is coming in, but what do I know.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 am 
Acclaimed member

One thing that is interesting is how Arteta's name has been leaked. It was leaked early on with this shortlist, it was then once again leaked when the news was broke of Wenger leaving, when Gazidis gave that statement it felt like he was talking about Arteta coming in and this rumour has never subsided. Again, the cynical view is that Arteta has been the choice all along but not a popular appointment with the fans so the board have to give the appearance that they have spoken to other candidates but for whatever reason they didn't want to come before stating Arteta is the right man for the job, look how committed he is and then rolling out press interview after press interview to the fans to show how Arteta is the right man.

Was Allegri ever going to leave Juventus this year given that the board there are going to back him this summer? Has Enrique genuinely asked for 200 million in wages and transfer kitty to come here or is this a press leak to deter fans away from Enrique? Vieira has come out and said Arsenal's "interest" in him has been nothing more than a token gesture.

The only way we will know is what time will tell us. I have no faith in Gazidis though to manage this effectively and no faith in the owner to do anything about it.

Personally the way it is going, my only genuine target next season is that we don't get relegated and the board and Arteta are competent enough to stop that from happening. I can't see us being anywhere near the top 5 next season though and I think we will fall into the pile behind us. Anything above that is a bonus.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 am 

Pretty much agree with you Tubz regarding the leaking of Arteta and the ‘illusion’ the club are giving that they are looking all over for a top manager when all along they have the ‘puppet on a string’ Arteta lined up. They have done this with player transfer speculation (usually at season ticket renewal time). I’m struggling to understand why the board can’t see a better option - like him or not but Benítez is a proven manager that can work miracles. Or even Vieira who has proven in the USA that he can cut it as a stand-alone manager and not as another managers dogs-body. I’d even take Conte ahead of Arteta!

This f&@king board couldn’t spot a great manager even if he fell into their lap! They stuck with Wenger giving him shit loads of money to see the team decline, they passed up on managers like Klopp and Guardiola, and they are now considering someone that has never managed a team to take charge of Arsenal? You couldn’t make it up!

We saw a LOT of empty seats at the Emirates... if there is any hint of a rookie like Arteta taking the massive role at Arsenal then I reckon the Emirates is going to be a very quiet place next season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next