It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Theo Walcott… Potential Enigma or Reincarnation of Reyes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:21 pm 
Acclaimed member

Gordon Bennit wrote:
If he's going to be up front, and he's struggling on the wing, I'm not sure how conducive to his development that will be. He may have done 'ok' on the pre season games, but in one of the tournaments (I think Amsterdam) so did Song! I'm not comparing them in terms of ability, just asking whether doing 'ok' as opposed to doing well is enough now?
I don't have a downer on the kid; he wears the red and white, but I still have doubts, and am concerned about his body language and overall confidence when he's running into blind alleys and losing the ball in his own feet on the wing.

He didn't struggle in the early days and ok was a bit of an understatement, he looked to have a really good link up with Van Persie and Ade, again from what I have heard and clips I have seen, during the early pre season games but they were the early ones so didn't want to overdo it given the weak nature of the opposition so merely said alright.

As for playing on the wing, he will get more games that way, learn to take a defender one when there is only one, learn what wingers will do so he can make helpful runs and improve his all round game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:37 pm 
I'm not all that bothered about the early days, merely that to me he looks like he is struggling a little now. He may have linked up well with Robin van Persie and Ade, but I didn't see those games, so won't comment, especially as Ade only played 3 pre season games (may be wrong on that). Maybe playing on the wing may help him become a better all round player, I wouldn't know; of course the inverse may also apply. While Flamini hasn't got worse for example, playing at left back didn't make him a better centre midfield player in my opinion, and playing Diaby on the left wing won't either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:47 pm 
Acclaimed member

He has had had early pre season games and one sub appearance once he returned from his shoulder injury? Not enough to say he doesn't look good, let him build any fitness he failed to gain due to injury in pre season, let him have a few games and then judge him. I just think the early games last season show his potential and why he is so highly rated.

As cm has little to do with left back unless learning when they overlap and Diaby's version of left wing is vanish from the game till he gets inside, I also doubt it helped them.

Last edited by Magic Hat on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Still cant believe we didn't beat westham... in April... of 2007
I was critical when he was signed that he is too much of an gamble based on the transfer fee. He had good patch about a year ago but since early last season he has been on a bad form. If it continues it may have bad effects on his developement. Against Fulham he did little good and that backing out from a great goal scoring chance is something i haven't seen in Arsenal shirt since the departure of Reyes.

In short he has shown promise but is currently on the wrong track. Most importantly he still has plenty of time to change the course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:51 pm 
Magic Hat wrote:
He has had had early pre season games and one sub appearance once he returned from his shoulder injury? Not enough to say he doesn't look good, let him build any fitness he failed to gain due to injury in pre season, let him have a few games and then judge him. I just think the early games last season show his potential and why he is so highly rated.

I haven't judged him based on this year. I didn't rate him that highly last season, despite the first day assist for Gilberto. As I said, I really really hope I'm wrong, and I will root for the boy every time he plays.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:10 pm 
Acclaimed member

The game against Bolton was good, he gave his marker a horrible day, but most of last season, he played injured so maybe it would be harsh to judge him based on that? Good to know your rooting for him. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:17 pm 
Acclaimed member

I never saw Walcott play for Southampton, so my judgement is based upon the abilities he has shown for Arsenal. It is way to early to be writing him off as a 'miss', given his limited game time and injured status for a proportion of last season.

He is an impact player, that much is certain. Although I was critical of his efforts v Fulham, he has proven - especially in his opening few performances for Arsenal last season - that he can come from the bench, offer us a different threat, and change the dynamic of a game. His pace is a fillip, and his ability to run at players can neutralise defenders in the same manner as Aaron Lennon does more frequently.

Is he 'out of position'? Well, I do not know. However, I have few qualms Wenger utilising Walcott as a right winger, for various reasons. Firstly, it is forcing Walcott to use elements of his game that are less of a concern upfront, and that in-turn should help him develop into a more rounded footballer. There is also the obvious fact that we have 3 strikers who are absolutely ahead of Walcott in the heirarchy of Arsenal strikers. Whereas, on the right of midfield, we have a Hleb who doesn't impress many fans, and an Eboue who has proven nothing. In terms of actual time on the pitch, Walcott appearing on the right of midfield is opening avenues that do not yet exist elsehwere within the squad.

My gut feeling is that Walcott will eventually move further forward to challenge for a position upfront.

In terms of criticisms; well I don't care to hear of Fabregas, Rooney, Messi or Ronaldo. These are exceptional talents, and judging a young player to that standard is false economy. But nor do I believe it necessary to molly-coddle Walcott. If he has the maturity to be worthy of starting for Arsenal, he is in a position where criticism is inevitable, as all players receive at some point.

So far, I see a one-dimensional player. If Walcott cannot burst past defenders with his pace then he is a little at a loss how to beat his fullback. He doesn't possess the Hleb-like ball skills and turns to outfox players, yet. I also think he is decidedly lacking a killer instinct; he doesn't know exactly the moment to pass and release, and he does not appear confident enough to take on defenders at times. Case in point is that breakaway against Fulham, where he checked and stopped before blasting the ball well over the bar, rather than cutting out an already-beaten Konchesky and squaring for Hleb. Sometimes, against teams packing a 2x4 defence, Walcott looks like he doesn't know how to combat opposing players. And his passing isn't up to scratch to allow him to pick teams apart.

Some of these technical inhibitions will improve with experience and hard training - some may never improve - and I am fairly certain Walcott will become a very good professional footballer. I'm less certain he'll develop into a world class footballer, but, again, that is rather a high standard to achieve anyway...

Last edited by LoneGunner on Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:41 pm 
Acclaimed member

Quote:
stopped before blasting the ball well over the ball

You have to admit, that is impressive!

I can see the points about Walcott's passing, he seems to be able to cross from out wide but I don't think we see that enough either while I can't recall a good normal pass, but also think the dribbling problem may be due to confidence. In the Carling Cup and when fully fit early on, he seemed to have tricks but in the Carling Cup it wouldn't come off, just a fraction off rather then horrible attempts, maybe it has made him a little worried about running at people again?

Gordon, if only every fan had your attitude.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:44 pm 

I think Theo has potential but at the moment he is a long way off the finished article. I think Wenger will start to blood him upfront in the Carling cup this year with Bendtner. Lets not forget that Theo is a striker and is presumably on the wing atm in order to learn to drift out wide like Henry to pick up the ball and join the play.

Also the fans at the Emirates seem to think he is going to set the world alight as soon as he steps onto the pitch. Give the kid a bit of breathing space and we might see something special. At the end of the day he is still learning the game and is obv gonna make mistakes.

Rant over. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:00 pm 

I think we were all a little to exited by the hype surrouning his signing, "the ENGLISH Henry" £15 mil teenage supersrar etc etc. At his present physicall and reading of the game development he is not strong enough to play the strike role. It might be his age, though Bendtner definatly looks able and he is about the same age. Physically he tends to remind me of Alialdere, who in my opinion could have made a winger, though as we all know he never made it as a stiker for us. Trust Wengar, he will adjust his development as his physche develops.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:06 pm 

I think many over here have misunderstood the point I'm trying to convey. I am not denying that he has a good chance in the future to become a good pro. He will most certainly go on to be that and may be more. But as many expected that 'brilliance' in him that we saw in Rooney during his younger days and the prediction of Walcott becoming a sensational player is under question. If we need to find out, we need to take a few proactive decisions and keep criteria such as age out of our perspective. And I'm of that sort where you certainly do some moulding but you do that in the same line of that particular player's instinctive forte. That is much easier that having to mould him to something in the opposite direction which I don't believe in. Yes moulding works, but only to a certain extent. If you have a line which pictures the growth of expertise in an individual (in any field), the first quarter and the last quarter signifies the amount of talent already present in that individual inherently without any external influence. I for certain believe that these two quarters hugely inflluence what moulding he undergoes and to what effect successfully. If as someone says here that moulding can be done and can be proven effective in any direction, everyone (including you and I) could have been moulded to suit the requirements. But that does not happen in reality. This is the sole reason why I believe that the talent curve of a particular individual and the moulding should always be in a direction which do not contradict each other and thus help attain the most effective coalesce. And according to me, this decision of how to mould is the responsibility of the mentor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:14 pm 

walcott is in my eyes not ready for the striker role and perhaps not ready for a regular role in the side YET. Could you imagine Walcott being marked the way Duberry marked Rooney? He would have been savaged and the Premiership is a harsh place for palyers like Theo. Theo is not able to handle this side of the game like Rooney. Rooney has a great physique which gives him a great chance of dealing with experienced defenders. While Messi has the ball glued to his feet he frustrates defenders.

Theo needs more time to learn how to develop his dribbling and his all - round play. This is clearly what Wenger is trying to accomplish by playing him out on the wing. This will give him the chance to understand how to time his runs once he gets up top because no defence is gonna play a high line with Theo around (remember England u - 21 vs Germany when Germany were chasing the game?) I actually feel sorry for Theo sometimes because he doesnt look confident at the mo but he is on a steep learning curve and once he can pick up the ball and run with it through the middle at a centre - back while keeping close - control, we will know he has come a long way.

He isnt any use to us only being able to dart behind the defence because experienced defenders will snuff it out and he wont see the ball. He will start to show improvement soon, he just needs some time to show it but like someobody said in a post earlier he is definitely an impact player.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:46 pm 

I know it's not just me but the pressure and expectations of this young man frustrate the hell out of me. I'm only 22 and remember the days when a player would be given until 25 to realise his potential and most didn't break into the team until their 20's but now this 18 year old is "not going to make the grade". Theo has pace and enthusiasm in abundance he just needs to control these more effectively.

We have truely been blessed with some incredible somewhat mercurial talents in recent years with fearless youngsters tearing up the world scene the likes of Owen, Rooney, and Messi. Yet look at one of the players regarded as the best in the world Kaka, he has been at Milan for 4 years and now at 25 is realising his true potential, 25 not 18. I'm not going to say he wasn't a quality player before-hand but it has taken him 7 years and 3 of those at one of the best clubs in the world to reach the point that some lad plucked from the Championship and thrust into the spotlight is expected to be when he is only just old enough to vote. Athletes develop at different rates in both physique and ability, Tyson peaked in his 20's and was a has-been by the time he met Lewis in his prime when he was in his late 30's yet this doesn't make Lewis a lesser man or boxer because he developed into a world class performer at a different stage in his life.

Theo's mental state is one which I am fairly sure Wenger is acutely aware of and he will not be the only player to feel the pressure of expectation and indeed failure he has dealt with, see on Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira plucked from Serie A failure yet given the belief and confidence to be two of the greatest players to grace a premiership pitch. I'm fairly sure that Theo is in the best hands available.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and realise that Theo still needs time to develop and instead of insisting that his second full season is make or break need to support him and realise that more often than not the finished article doesn't simply arrive when he orders his first legal drink!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:55 am 
Acclaimed member

alls well Wrighty......and that is if things go according to plan. However does Theo have a winning mentality, the good old English virtue of putting his hand up and being counted? If he does he will become a very good professional, as he does have something special in him to achieve big things on big stages. Time is the essence. how many good young players have lost their way in international sports, because they didnot have the correct mentor at a particular stage of their career.....i can assure you there are many. Wengers presence is essential for theo to achieve his full potential, and i donot have any doubt about him and his potential.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:14 am 

Theo is developing well IMO. He started to look very promising last season despite being cursed with the shoulder injury that they were trying to put off until the end of the season. He is another player that needs match experience to progress any further and the more matches he plays the more confident he will get. People have been patient enough with Hleb's frustrating performances for the last 2 seasons so I think we can be abit patient with Theo and let time tell whether he will turn into a class act for the club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next