It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Theo Walcott… Potential Enigma or Reincarnation of Reyes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:08 am 

Wenger already explanined last season why he is playing Theo on the wing. It is to get him used to dribbling past players and to learn how to do that. To get him used to taking players on and beating them with skill, or pace, or trickery. Theo needs time to develop his game and hone his skills before even more pressure is heaped upon him by playing him upfront.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:17 am 
Acclaimed member

Spot on Jay, even if he was good enough mentally to play upfront, i dont think he is good enough to do so yet, and besides with our current squad we need him on the wing, he adds much more to our play when he comes on (providing he is on form) and we need that, He wont play up front on any sort of regular basis for at least another 2 years, thats if he does end up playing there at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:29 am 
Let me ask a straight forward question. Who would you rather have for the money?

Walcott or Tevez?

And before you guys start saying they are not comparable at present. That's not the issue. The issue is we need a proven player now. to compete now. to win things now. Not in some distant future.

When we bought Walcott most fans on the forum stated he could walk on water. Some of us questioned his potential ability as being the next Henry.

He's old enough to play in the Premiership. Fowler, Owen, Rooney and possibly more have done it and proved themselves. Let Walcott prove himself by playing constantly and getting hard knocks and then he might be the player we're hoping for.

We've not a kindergarten!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:35 am 

Realistically if he were to be played up front, who would you play him instead of given that most of us would consider Robin van Persie, Da Silva, Ade and Bendtner as being ahead of him in the pecking order, so his chances will be pretty much restricted to playing there in the crap cup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:46 am 
Acclaimed member

A young up and coming Walcott who could play for decades, add pace to the attack or work on the wings where we need cover while only paying one club? Or Tevez, who while skilful, would involve a very messy and dubious transfer to add yet another striker to our roster? I would go for Walcott

Some players take time before they become big players, Walcott has had a season pretty much written off by injury and yes, he should be improving but he is only 17, he may never be in the class of Messi but not everyone can but he could be a player who does good work at Arsenal. Henry was what, 25 before he turned into a world class player? Why must Walcott be the same? Yes some have started off brilliantly like Owen, Fowler and faded while remaining one dimensional, Rooney will suffer foot injuries and struggle when he loses his strength while never being world class.

Quote:

We aren't Man U who put themselves in finiancial danger but buying £50 million worth of players while having an absurd debt, we don't utterly neglect our youth system and have power games like Chelsea, we don't spend on players we don't need like Spurs, we do things our way. We keep within our means, we should realise that football glory goes in cycles and that Arsene is on the cusp of something great due to his long term planning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:56 am 
Point taken manuhater. But Theo is suppose to be lightning fast? surely we could do with one of those players up front.

I would put him in front of Ade at least and the truth is we know very little about Dudu.

I'm asking for Theo to be played in the first team to really see whether he can cope and flourish in that environment.

He's not a wall flower. He's a fit young talented footballer. Give him a majority of games and let him take the hard knocks.

After all it's only football!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:08 am 
Magic Hat wrote:
A young up and coming Walcott who could play for decades, add pace to the attack or work on the wings where we need cover while only paying one club? Or Tevez, who while skilful, would involve a very messy and dubious transfer to add yet another striker to our roster? I would go for Walcott

Some players take time before they become big players, Walcott has had a season pretty much written off by injury and yes, he should be improving but he is only 17, he may never be in the class of Messi but not everyone can but he could be a player who does good work at Arsenal. Henry was what, 25 before he turned into a world class player? Why must Walcott be the same? Yes some have started off brilliantly like Owen, Fowler and faded while remaining one dimensional, Rooney will suffer foot injuries and struggle when he loses his strength while never being world class.

Quote:

We aren't Man U who put themselves in finical danger but buying £50 million worth of players while having an absurd debt, we don't utterly neglect our youth system and have power games like Chelsea, we don't spend on players we don't need like Spurs, we do things our way. We keep within our means, we should realise that football glory goes in cycles and that Arsene is on the cusp of something great due to his long term planning.

What are talking about? You have no idea Walcott will be playing for decades! And if he does you have no idea if he will want to stay with us! And it's strange how Man U can handle a tricky situation like the Tevez deal but we for some reason can't?

Man U are the league Champions or hadn't you notice? Do you really think a Club like Man U which is a world brand will fall down like a house of cards because the top business men they have, have for some reason thrown their brains out of the window when they bought Man U and gave over transfer money to Fergie?

Still we do have lots of potential which will come good sometime in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:24 am 
Acclaimed member

Quote:
Point taken manuhater. But Theo is suppose to be lightning fast? surely we could do with one of those players up front.

Once he can dribble a bit better, might not be a bad idea for some games but Dudu is a clever fox in the box, we have a target man in the big dane, I personally think Ade is a good forward and we do play one striker at times so Walcott will get far more chances on the wings even if we switched our forwards around which meant none of them would get into a rythem or understanding.

Quote:
What are talking about? You have no idea Walcott will be playing for decades

I meant to put a decade and probably a bit more. Unless he can turn into a play maker forward, which I doubt, I don't see him to 37 either, my bad.

Quote:
And if he does you have no idea if he will want to stay with us! And it's strange how Man U can handle a tricky situation like the Tevez deal but we for some reason can't?

While he might like to play in Spain or Italy, as long as we are winning things over the next ten years then he will have few reasons to leave. As for the Tevez deal, the EPL buried their head in the sand for them, West Ham only getting 2 million was a ridiculous cop out and still leaves him under third party influence I believe? Rather Arsenal did not deal with that kind of thing

Quote:
Man U are the league Champions or hadn't you notice? Do you really think a Club like Man U which is a world brand will fall down like a house of cards because the top business men they have, have for some reason thrown their brains out of the window when they bought Man U and gave over transfer money to Fergie?

I have noticed that they are a very good team and won the league yes. They also have a crushing debt, an old manager who can try to be too clever and a defence that if hit by injury will not win them the title. Short term, the future is quite exciting if the defenders stay fit but the debt is a huge problem the longer it doesn't get repaid. Ours at least went towards a new stadium which should last a long time, increase profit and the debt should be manageable unless we do something silly. Who made them a world brand? The past board which got taken over by somebody who thought they would pile huge debt on the club for the privilege of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 am 

After watching Theo last season I saw small snippets of what he was capable of. Very explosive, with lightning fast acceleration and pace but I am not confident enough to have him in my first team yet. He stays very stationary out wide when he is played, not a lot of movement off the ball.
He seems stuck in limbo at the moment IMO, he is too good for reserve football but I don't yet feel comfortable having him starting games. I am all for seeing him improve at Arsenal under Wenger's wing but for the moment I would only want him starting CC games and making some apperances as a sub until he shows some more improvement.

I have no doubt he has the potential to be a very good player but it won't come for a few more seasons yet. We will have to wait to see if he is a hit or miss.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:03 am 
Look Magic Hat no offence but can we stick to the present rather than go off into the unknown.

You don't know Walcott will want to play for us in the future.

You don't know Man U will get bad injuries that will ruin they defence and therefore lose them the league.

You don't know how well Man U is handling its debt.

You don't know whether Arsenal have had to deal in complicated transfers in the past. Therefore you can't say we are above that sort of thing.

I'm not asking Walcott to go to war or get married or give up his life for a friend!

I simply want him to play football. Seems reasonable to me unless fans feel he will be morally or socially damaged by kicking a ball around!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:40 am 

13013 wrote:
I simply want him to play football. Seems reasonable to me unless fans feel he will be morally or socially damaged by kicking a ball around!!

Then why the complaints if you just want him to play football? The problem is you want him to play consistently at a level he just hasn't reached yet, I understand what you want and expect from him but need to realise it is not himself that is holding him back but Arsene Wenger is holding him back from a striking role for reasons that Arsene Wenger knows and I'm guessing in the long run it is going to be best for Theo.

Maybe I'm wrong but hell it's just a guess.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:42 pm 
Acclaimed member

It is an educated guess personally but a manager has to try and see into the future, not just the now and sometimes make short term sacrifices for long term good of team because if he doesn't, the team will lose out on something great. Walcott will get games this season out on the right but as Wrighty said, your asking too much of him just yet, let him grow into whatever he might become.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:21 pm 
Am I really asking to much by wanting our most talented eighteen year old player to play consistently over this season.

Would someone explain to me what it is that he needs to be protected from. Or why he isn't capable of playing in the first team? When a number of young players play in the first teams of other clubs without suffering ill effects.

Fabregas played for us at 18 and I don't see him suffering with anything. And if I’m not mistaken didn't Denilson play for us in the first team at 18.

I'm not knocking Theo quite the opposite. I think he should start getting involved in first team football.

If we don't give him the chance then what right do we have to knock him!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:29 pm 

He is getting first team football, as a sub. Once Wenger thinks his confidence and form is up to par, he will start him. But is there any reason to rush it? He obviously doesn't have the skill set of a Denilson or a Fabregas, who come from academies where individual skill and creativity is a priority.

I might get flamed for this but, you might think of this as what is wrong with the English academy system overall, since young English footballers, as a whole, do not have nearly the same skillset as their equals from Holland, Brazil, France, etc. So Theo's raw talent needs to be developed by Wenger in order for him to be at the point of a Denilson, Fabs, Messi, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:40 pm 
Acclaimed member

Up front we have four better options, on the right, Hleb is a first teamer and Walcott must battle it out with Eboue for second place. His training will be a little behind others since he came from a non Arsenal and English academy so like Denilson, Diaby and our tall dane, he must wait patiently for his chance to make a first team spot his own. He will get games, Arsene will ensure of that but I don't think he is ready to be a regular start just yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 44  Next