It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Theo Walcott… Potential Enigma or Reincarnation of Reyes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 pm 

Certain things i've seen of theo make me positive that he will be a great arsenal player in the future. He needs confidence though as he's young and he's not a battling type of player so Arsene Wenger must pick and choose his games carefully in order to nurture him in the correct way...but Arsene Wenger will do this as he always does. Also, theo's a striker in the long run, he can't physically handle the close attention he gets on the wing...he needs to be free to find positions up front and until Arsene Wenger finishes his RW to CF transformation I don't feel we'll see the best of him. He will be top quality in the long run I'm sure!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:49 pm 
Acclaimed member

13013 wrote:
Am I really asking to much by wanting our most talented eighteen year old player to play consistently over this season.

Would someone explain to me what it is that he needs to be protected from. Or why he isn't capable of playing in the first team? When a number of young players play in the first teams of other clubs without suffering ill effects.

To protect him from burning out like Fowler, Owen, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one), Gascoigne, possibly even add Beckham and even Rooney, etc etc and not having a career blighted by injuries..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:43 pm 

Every one has to bear in mind his u21 record i think its something like 6 goals in 8 games, this shows how good he is, i just wonder why he doesn't perform at Arenal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:20 pm 

I am one of the guys who think he wont make it. But just look at him he looks a little light weight doesnt seem to have an air of aggression about him, lacking a bit of fire like Robin van Persie or Fab. But thats just him. I feel being played out of position and not getting enough time there as well he is begining to doubt himself. But we have seen flashes of what he is capeble of and i think this lack of self confidence has not gone unnoticed by the squad as well remember Robin van Persie tipping him to be awesome.

Arsene has a huge problem him. He is experimenting with Eboue as a winger. Robin van Persie Eduardo Adebayor Bendtner ahead of him and whats worse is now Hleb takes the hole spot. So starting or even getting too many cameo's as a forward isnt going to happen. So .... where to build him some confidence and let him maybe lead the forward line ? Carling Cup. Thats where i think Arsene will test if Walcott is good enough to play for us upfront. He will be someday certainly he has all the qualities and a good record at U21 level. He just needs some games and to get them in the back of the net.

This season we might not see too much of Walcott, Robin van Persie Adebayor Bendtner Fabregas Clichy Denilson will grow even more this season Rosicky and Hleb and Gallas will prove to be important contributers. Sadly even if he is ready in his own way there are a few ahead of him.

thats why i think Bendtner and Walcott will be our carling cup forward pair. And its a mouth watering prospect. Bendtner holding off people to get walcott space to use his pace etc one big powerful forward and one pacy tricky runner. Both can shoot.

So go easy on the kid he will play a bit part role considering the size of our squad and he will have a role to play in the carling cup. He is only 18 another year at least and probably 2 before we see him gain some strength physically and some confidence maybe even some agression. Wenger has a plan for him its isnt time yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:28 am 
Managing Editor

a lot of people have said this can be Walcott's breakthrough year including Wenger but I have my doubts. he seems light on confidence, I would suggest the carling cup can be the making of him. If we play Bendtner and Walcott together Theo can chase knock downs and play in his preferred position it that is against weaker opposition we may see Walcott start to show what he has and that'll allow him to gain confidence and try those things more often.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:54 am 
Acclaimed member

Afinho wrote:
Every one has to bear in mind his u21 record i think its something like 6 goals in 8 games, this shows how good he is, i just wonder why he doesn't perform at Arenal.

He has when fit, example against Aston Villa, against Bolton, in pre season. With the U21's, he hasn't been too good when starting against big teams (which is why I don't think he is ready to go upfront) but was superb as an impact sub against Germany, scoring twice against one of the best young keepers I have seen.

I think Walcott will get games at right wing, Carling Cup will provide a fair few but I can see him starting games in Prem and Fa Cup matches sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 pm 
Acclaimed member

I dont think he can make it as a winger. Arsene Wenger needs the courage to play him through the centre - both in Cup games and bringing him on whenever a game is already won. He is only a kid so he will need another two years before he is ready.

As a central player he can change direction at high speed similar to TH14 in his prime - his vs Chelsea shows what he can do. On the wings I think the defender knows how to contain him by running him to the line - as vs Fulham.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

Personally i think there is more chance of Walcott spending the majority of his career on the wing, Im not sure why i get this feeling as he would make a great forward too, i just will that with his pace and ability to create so much down the wing, on his day, as he has done for us Wenger will eventually bring him through to be our first choice on the right side.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:07 pm 
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1766_2670329,00.html

Wenger: Walcott has matured

Arsene Wenger feels Theo Walcott is more relaxed out of the spotlight - but expects the Arsenal winger to soon be the talk of England again.

The teenager found himself thrust into the public eye following a potential £12million move from Southampton in January 2006 - and was a controversial inclusion in Sven-Goran Eriksson's World Cup squad when he had yet to make his debut for Arsenal. Walcott, now 18, has since chalked up more than 30 first-team appearances, and netted his first senior goal in the Carling Cup final against Chelsea. Having recovered from a shoulder injury which required surgery during the summer and kept him out of the European Under-21 championships, Walcott has looked sharp during the build-up to the new campaign. Wenger expects the talented youngster to have an increased impact this season for the Gunners, which he believes can only lead to further progress within the international set-up and a call from current England head coach Steve McClaren.

"It never looked to me that it really bothered him, but I am sure it was too much. Before he was in the spotlight there was a lot of expectation on him," said the Arsenal boss. "The learning process was quick but I believe he is ready now to really have a go and he is more mature." Wenger added: "I was surprised last week when people were talking about a striking crisis in England and nobody mentioned Walcott. That is the first time I saw that."

The Gunners boss, though, admits just where to play the talented attack-minded teenager is something of a quandary. "I am not completely sure what his best position is," Wenger reflected. "At the moment I feel he is a bit more of a wide player, but because he makes good runs he would be good in the centre as well. However, you then have to find the right partnership. Theo is a runner so you need someone who keeps the ball next to him. It is difficult for him and that is why I am using him more wide."

Wenger accepts Walcott would need a substantial amount of recovery time following an operation to hopefully cure a problem which had hampered his development last season. "I had the same experience with Philippe Senderos when he had an operation on his shoulder. It takes you much longer than you expected," said Wenger. "When you fall down and your shoulder pops out, you cannot be the same player. Even when they are back for four or five weeks, when you test them on speed in normal training they have not recovered their speed. It is because of your co-ordination and it is unbelievable."

Wenger added: "You don't realise how much a player needs his arms and shoulders to play football. It takes a long time, but this is the first week I can see he is really coming back."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:22 am 
Acclaimed member

It just didnt transpire for him today. It was very obvious, he looked a boy among the men today. I'll rather have him goal than on the wing, it just isn't his position. A few games upfront where he's told to be selfish would do his confidence some good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:56 am 
Acclaimed member

You are marked much tighter in the centre though; there isn't time to turn and think about what's ahead of you, as he likes to do on the wing. He has good dribble technique and a great lob technique; if his pacey dribbling actually got past people (as opposed to tripping to the last few centimetres of foot), then even his one-dimensional play right now would be fine. But right now he lacks confidence to go full on, awareness to lay good passes, and... I do'nt even know why he doesn't track back so much. In his position I woudl be so frustrated, I'd be running everywhere to try and see some ball.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:41 am 
Acclaimed member

Afinho wrote:
Chelsea fans said the same thing about SWP, he is a lot like Walcott now look at how good SWP is playing.

An interesting parallel. SWP is a confidence player, one that needs a sustained run of games to get momentum and form. Walcott for me is similar in that respect. At Blackburn he showed glimpses of what he can do with his pace and direct running but just lacked the finished product and the "get stuck in" mentality that was necessary for that game. Perhaps the bruising encounter that was Blackburn came a little too soon for him, maybe his shoulder still preys on his mind a little? Perhaps, like SWP, he needs to get that run of games to build himself up and them maybe we might see a little more of the player who impressed me at the beginning of last season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:55 am 
Acclaimed member

arcaliea wrote:
You are marked much tighter in the centre though; there isn't time to turn and think about what's ahead of you, as he likes to do on the wing. He has good dribble technique and a great lob technique; if his pacey dribbling actually got past people (as opposed to tripping to the last few centimetres of foot), then even his one-dimensional play right now would be fine. But right now he lacks confidence to go full on, awareness to lay good passes, and... I do'nt even know why he doesn't track back so much. In his position I woudl be so frustrated, I'd be running everywhere to try and see some ball.

...and thats exactly Walcott's strength. He has very quick thinking and can execute it just as fast. He also has pace and any mistake from a defence will result in danger because there will be no way back to catch him. On the wing, when he gets past the winger, he still has one or two more men to beat in the centre-backs and covering players and most times he fails to do this. Upfront, he beats one man and he's away, one thing I know he can do is finish like against Cech. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:25 pm 

Personally I thought theo played quite well yesterday...ok he wasn't excepyional but he definitely stood up to the physical side of the game pretty well. This is key for me as i'm sure as he matures he will naturally get better in the decision making areas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:42 pm 
Acclaimed member

Quote:
..and thats exactly Walcott's strength. He has very quick thinking and can execute it just as fast.

He does show that sometimes, but other times he also seems lost and doesn't know what to do. Do you think that's just because he's on the wing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 44  Next