It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
 Post subject: Re: Theo Walcott Debate
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:26 am 

block132 wrote:
Jules wrote:
I find it baffling that Wenger has utilized Walcott as a winger for 10 years and now insists that he's a striker.

I wouldn't believe a word of what he says to the press. Where did he play against Man City...? The wing ! Great run and goal by the way.

I agree that what Wenger says to the press and what he does are two different things. But his current statements pretty much put an end to Walcott's career on the wing:

"He is not a great defender. On the flank, today there is much defensive work asked from the players that you lose a lot of his qualities when you put him there. [...] I believe that he has all the ingredients to be a great striker, because of the quality of his runs. He is an intelligent player, a good finisher. I believe that to use his runs in the final third for us could be very efficient."

For someone who doesn't criticize his players publicly, that's a clear statement on where he sees Walcott in the future - up front. That's not where he played him in the last ten years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:40 am 

Maybe he said it to re-motivate Walcott to become a better winger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:18 pm 

Jules wrote:
block132 wrote:
Jules wrote:
I find it baffling that Wenger has utilized Walcott as a winger for 10 years and now insists that he's a striker.

I wouldn't believe a word of what he says to the press. Where did he play against Man City...? The wing ! Great run and goal by the way.

I agree that what Wenger says to the press and what he does are two different things. But his current statements pretty much put an end to Walcott's career on the wing:

"He is not a great defender. On the flank, today there is much defensive work asked from the players that you lose a lot of his qualities when you put him there. [...] I believe that he has all the ingredients to be a great striker, because of the quality of his runs. He is an intelligent player, a good finisher. I believe that to use his runs in the final third for us could be very efficient."

For someone who doesn't criticize his players publicly, that's a clear statement on where he sees Walcott in the future - up front. That's not where he played him in the last ten years.

Just Arsene giving Walcott a taste of his own medicine if he can go public to state he now wants to be a winger Arsene can go public to state he can't defend properly. All a bit silly really. As I've said many times just do your talking on the pitch. Walcott's probably only got a handful of games to make himself undroppable wherever he's played. Over to you Theo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:07 am 
Acclaimed member

Touching on Walcott, he has started the season like he is trying to make a point but then he usually does this after he has been left out of an England squad. I fully expect that by Christmas this form will level out and he will return to his anonymous self.

Why can't he motivate himself to do it over the course of a season though? Or does he need a stronger manager to keep on him?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

Tubzinho wrote:
Why can't he motivate himself to do it over the course of a season though? Or does he need a stronger manager to keep on him?

Maybe just a full season playing? He's not started more than 15 league games in a season since 2012/2013 when he scored 14 goals in 32 appearances. In fact he's only started 28 league games in the last 3 seasons.

If he can get a full season, with a proper pre-season and no international tournament then perhaps we may just see a fully effective and consistent player.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

Walcott usually needs a few games back from injury then hits a consistent spell until he gets injured again. Bar last season where moving him up front seemed to make him forget how to be a winger for some bizarre reason

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 am 

Looks like Theo will be leaving the club. I'm actually quite sad to see him go be it the right time. Yes he was Mr inconsistent but he always carried himself the right way and had some good times along the way. I really hope he rediscovers himself at Everton. Good luck Theo!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 am 
Acclaimed member

I couldn't really care about a large proportion of this current squad, probably Koscielny aside and any of them leaving invokes little emotion with me.

The best football Walcott played for Arsenal was a couple of 3-4 month bursts when he wanted a new contract. It's sad but true, each time he would raise his game and as soon as that contract was signed he would fall back to the level he has been at, which is a good player but a player that could have potentially been better than he is. He is a player that should have left the club 2-3 years ago for the sake of his own career and has ended up staying at the club and in his comfort zone for too long.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm 

Done and dusted for £20 million the reported fee. Over 100 goals, nearly 400 appearances but I never rated him. I don't know why but other than a few moments of inspiration, I just didn't get him. He'll probably score against us in a week or two but I doubt he will do little else of note, especially once his pace goes.

Still, nice lad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44