It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Bringing through Wilshere
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:14 pm 

He's on the final 2 years of his contract. I think this move is for Wilshere to prove his fitness before Arsenal negotiate a new contract.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:44 pm 

He'll don Bournemouth injuries forbidden.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:07 am 
Trialist

I think it's a good move for him. he's way down the pecking order, he needs to get games under his belt however, until he shows he can stay fit, i don't trust him.. let him play a year injury free,then bring him back in the mix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:24 pm 
Acclaimed member

block132 wrote:
I can't see what he is going to do differently at another club to stop him getting injured. He's going so he can play regularly. That's when he is most likely to get injured.

The point is he is finally fit now. Why can't he fight for his chance to play regularly here?

Is he pushing for this move, does he not fancy his chances of breaking back into the side, has Arsene told him he's not in his plans...? It's always a guessing game for us.

I'm a little annoyed about this to be honest. I don't particularly want to see him tearing it up for someone else for a season, having waited patiently for him to get fit for us.

Whatever it is other clubs do that we don't which prevents them having the same ludicrous injury list we have each and every season? One thing he may have sought the loan is how much is he injury prone, how much of it is Arsenal? A season with few injuries and it isn't "Wilshire the injury prone", it is "what the hell is wrong with Arsenal"

He may also, as you say, look at the additions and numbers in midfield and worry he will find it hard to break in, particularly if he keeps getting injured.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:11 pm 

Magic Hat wrote:
block132 wrote:
I can't see what he is going to do differently at another club to stop him getting injured. He's going so he can play regularly. That's when he is most likely to get injured.

The point is he is finally fit now. Why can't he fight for his chance to play regularly here?

Is he pushing for this move, does he not fancy his chances of breaking back into the side, has Arsene told him he's not in his plans...? It's always a guessing game for us.

I'm a little annoyed about this to be honest. I don't particularly want to see him tearing it up for someone else for a season, having waited patiently for him to get fit for us.

Whatever it is other clubs do that we don't which prevents them having the same ludicrous injury list we have each and every season? One thing he may have sought the loan is how much is he injury prone, how much of it is Arsenal? A season with few injuries and it isn't "Wilshire the injury prone", it is "what the hell is wrong with Arsenal"

He may also, as you say, look at the additions and numbers in midfield and worry he will find it hard to break in, particularly if he keeps getting injured.

I'm not convinced, all the coaches go to the same seminars, through the same bagdes, ditto the physios I imagine, I'm sure they all compare methods, they all seem to visit several clubs before they pass their badges and finally end up at a club. I just think we've just been incredibly unlucky.

but we shall see.

I would have just liked him to knuckle down and fight for it a bit more. As I said before if he was pushed out I will take it all back. The media make a big thing about him lacking game time, being dropped from England but we are only 3 games into the season and I'm only interested in Arsenal not national sides.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:11 am 

As a professional footballer if the environment you were working in was causing injuries to you and colleagues do you not think the players would ask questions?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:39 pm 
Acclaimed member

block132 wrote:

I'm not convinced, all the coaches go to the same seminars, through the same bagdes, ditto the physios I imagine, I'm sure they all compare methods, they all seem to visit several clubs before they pass their badges and finally end up at a club. I just think we've just been incredibly unlucky.

but we shall see.

When does a pattern stop being bad luck for you? Five? Because we may have hit that mark already. :wink: A one off event is bad luck, something happening time and and time again and in our case, every single year is a pattern. That is not bad luck, when it is a pattern, it is something fundamental.

In fairness to Wenger, he knows it. Managers will happily complain about bad luck but the managers that are any good, like Wenger, use that as a sound bite, keep the squad happy and then work to fix the problems. Keep hitting the woodwork? Complain about bad luck, work on the finishing. Keeping conceding on setplays? Coaching time! Keep getting injuries, complain about bad luck but look at everything your doing. Wenger has tried, changed the turf even I believe but for some reason (and as much as I bemoan him on the redzone, that would only be a part of the problem), things haven't worked.

If going to seminar's was enough, though very important, there wouldn't be such variety in outcomes in so many walks of life. Football injury records, health care, business. We won't select a manager or a member of staff based on keeping up to date in seminar's (we might refuse to hire someone who doesn't though), we will hire for other grounds (including ability to impliment what they learnt) and rightly so.

Quote:
I would have just liked him to knuckle down and fight for it a bit more. As I said before if he was pushed out I will take it all back. The media make a big thing about him lacking game time, being dropped from England but we are only 3 games into the season and I'm only interested in Arsenal not national sides.

Fair enough but I suspect Wilshire cares about his international chances, his career and his reputation more then he does Arsenal. Which I don't mean as a criticism of him.

Balboa wrote:
As a professional footballer if the environment you were working in was causing injuries to you and colleagues do you not think the players would ask questions?

Probably? That it is medical and so involves doctors might make it more difficult for them to raise the issue though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:59 am 
Acclaimed member

What do we do with this man now? He must be signed to a new contract as soon as, he has given enough to warrant it. He has been excellent in recent performances and shows a drive and determination on the pitch we seldom see throughout the squad. In this form for me he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

The problem is, can we build around him given his injury record?

For me personally in that central role, we need another alongside him who is a Kante dynamic ball winner type to really help Wilshere and add solidity to the team. I don't think any of our current options really do that. Elneny is probably the one out of the current crop who is closest to it and possibly Maitland-Niles if Wenger backs up what he has said about him. But Elneny is a good solid pro and not really going to push the team on to a higher level and Maitland-Niles in untested in that role.

Also, I think it is a case of Wilshere or Ramsey in that central role rather than both and I think it is Wilshere's position to lose at the moment. When Ramsey is back I can see him being deployed further forward in this current team rather than Wilshere and being dropped back when we are chasing games. I don't want to slate Ramsey or turn it into an anti-Ramsey thing, Ramsey is an important part of the squad and a great option to play from that central position in certain games or scenarios but overall, I prefer what Wilshere brings in that position in preference to what Ramsey brings in this team.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:53 pm 

I've completely changed my mind on Jack, I was all for getting rid but feel totally different now. He's played well and has been a bright spark in an otherwise grey season thus far. I know a lot of the contract details could be paper talk but if he's having a wage cut related to proof of fitness etc I'd be interested to know what Welbeck is on whose fitness, let alone his performances, has been an issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10