It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bringing through Wilshere
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:50 pm 

To be honest I'd prefer to see him playing a bit further back what with his ability to spray passes around and get stuck into tackles, I think playing as a withdrawn striker he'd have his back to goal a lot and may have less options for his passes.

I see him as either a traditional centre mid or perhaps even as a sweeper type thing behind a midfield 4.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:14 pm 
Acclaimed member

Gregor Samsa wrote:
So Wenger keeps the pressure of Wilshere by comparing him to Dennis Bergkamp. :tut:

To be fair it's a more accurate comparisson that DB10 and Bendtner although I do share AP's sentiments that he would be a more effective player from a deeper lying position. Given his raw talent though I reckon given the training he could operate anywhere in midfield and be a huge asset, same as Ramsey.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:51 pm 
Honorary member

I see Wilshire more as the type of player Joe Cole could have been before Chelsea turned him into a runner. Bergkamp was unique. Many players have and will play in his position, but it doesn't mean they're going to be an exact copy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:39 pm 

Le Gaffer's not perfect but if there's one aspect of management that I have almost absolute faith with him in, it's developing youth talent.

Where the player's ability is concerned, without wishing to roll out the hype machine, I was surprised at how good this kid actually is. The name's been mentioned among Arsenal fans for a while now and I knew of Wilshere's name and supposed talent long ago but no matter how good a player seems to be at youth level, it's not until they take the step up that you can see what they are made of. I had Wilshere down as a good prospect, someone who clearly would be knocking about in the Premier League one day but I wasn't so optimistic that he'd make it at Arsenal, such is the required quality and of course based on past evidence of good Premier League standard talents leaving in a bid to find first team football. Mathew Upson and David Bentley for instance, both now England internationals, were fine products of an ever improving Arsenal accademy and while at this point in time both might command a valuable squad role within the team, they ultimately failed to break into the Arsenal set up as soon as they might have liked and so sought pastures anew. That's the kind of future I saw for Wilshere when I first heard and saw him but no longer do I live by that train of thought.

Jack Wilshere is a rare talent, with exceptional ability, though still shy of his 17th birthday. Here we have an accademy youngster with the ability to make it one day as an Arsenal player and by that I don't just mean a bit part player but an actual first team regular, of that I have no doubt. His composure on the ball, his technique, his passing ability - all qualities of his game that are already at a high and will improve considerably with increased experience and natural progression. He is by no means a finished article and I'm not calling for him to endure regular first team action anytime soon but the potential is there and I think we are all very excited about him.

Which position he will end up in I don't know but it would seem Wenger is training him up to be a versatile individual and he seems comfortable on the flank or in the center of the park. Recent hints from Arsene suggest he is being groomed to play a role off the striker, not so dissimilar to Dennis Bergkamp's position - not that he's comparing the two, Dennis is his own player and Wilshere's qualities are for the most part different but Wenger knows his stuff when it comes to choosing where a player should play. He has changed a player's position to great effect on many an occasion (Eboue maybe the exception) and seems to have an eye for where a player's attributed are best suited on the field.

Wenger has already spoken about Wilshere's development, suggesting that like Theo Walcott, he will for the most part be protected to begin with and I'm happy with that course of action. I've seen calls on this forum for him to be started on many an occasion, even suggestions that he should be thrown in against Liverpool and Chelsea. Able or not, Wenger most certainly wont take that sort of action with young Jack. He's clear to point out that as a player 'who goes at you and dribbles, these players are exposed to be kicked,' he needs to be protected a little more, also highlighting the importance of not recieving a major injury before he is 18.

Strength wise, as Corny has already mentioned, there's no immediate need for him to bulk up. I would say he's at the right level physically for his age and he will of course improve physically naturally. He seems to be a tough lad too which helps and Wenger's mentioned on a number of occasions how he believes Wilshere will come to be very strong in the future.

So no, I don't think as some have suggested that he should be thrown in at the deep end. The way in which Wenger is bringing him through will draw the best result long term and I'm happy to see him play a minimal part in first team affairs for the moment. It wont be long before he displaces the likes of Denilson, Eboue and Diaby in the pecking order but for the moment protection is key.

Anyone know what sort of contract he's on and when it runs out? Presumably sooner rather than later the club will try to tie him to a long term deal, which I look forward to seeing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:56 am 

Although Jack had a good game against Tottenham in the second half, I think his past performances for Reserves and u18's (FAYC) show that he isn't quite ready to start or even come off the bench for the first team when we need an impact. I know we all want him to because of his performances in the Carling Cup and his impact from the bench virtually everytime he comes on, but in the reserve games and FAYC games I've seen him in this season, he doesn't have a constant say on the game and his brilliance comes in flashes.

We saw in the first half he was quite frustrated and annoyed that it wasn't going his way, we saw flashes of brilliance but nothing sustained, and that's probably why Wenger isn't playing him so often.

Obviously at 17 this is 100% expected and this isn't a criticism, more of an observation why I think Wenger's been right to keep him out of the light. He'll be a lot stronger next season and I expect his constant training with the first team will have a big effect on him, but in the next few weeks I think it's vital we stick to the first team and not worry about who's coming through, or blooding the young guns.

He's for the tomorrow, not today, and I think his performances for the Reserves shows this. It's rare you see a 16/17 year old a regular member of reserve teams, so we should just be happy he's away ahead of schedule already.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:15 pm 

The worry with playing him is he invites challenges. He deliberately shows a bit of the ball to commit defenders. A bit like Diaby inviting challenges. Even with diabys superhuman size and strength he got destroyed by vindictive challenges that he still arguably hasn't fully recovered from. The same could happen Wilshere if due care isn't taken.
At this stage bishoff seems to offer similar passing and decent shooting to a level that removes the need to play wilshere and allows wilshere to develop at his own natural rate.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:33 am 

Arsenal Legend Liam Brady Backs Jack Wilshere For First Team Spot
http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/ ... first-team
26 May 2009 23:36:26

Former Arsenal midfielder turned youth coach Liam Brady has backed Gunners youngster Jack Wilshere to feature in the first team next season. "He is a special kid. He has got great awareness with his passing ability and he can run with the ball," Brady told Setanta Sports. "He just needs to keep on learning but he is the kind of kid who’ll want to learn and do better. "I think he has a tremendous career in football ahead of him." After an impressive campaign in the youth ranks, Brady believes that if Wilshere makes a good start to the pre-season, he will have a greater chance of first team action. "Jack is going to have a rest now and he’ll be stronger when he comes back," added Brady. "What he does in pre-season will dictate whether the manager feels he is ready to be in his team from the start, but I think it won’t be long before he will be."

How does everyone feel we should use his talent next season?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 am 

I guess how often Wilshere will be featuring next season will depend on the fitness of our first team squad. If guys like Nasri, Walcott, Arshavin, Vela and Rosicky (although unlikely, yet again) stay fit throughout most of the season, we might get to see him in CC games only, just like this year. He probably feature in most reserves games and occasional substitute in our FA cup run.

But i guess with Wilshere, we never know if he is too young to be thrown into the deep end. He could turn out to be like Cesc or Rooney, who will excel once given the chances and all he need is that one break to showcase himself. But again with such young players, even if he played well in one game, we'll never know if he can perform again the next.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:33 am 
Managing Editor

I think he'll probably end up centrally high up the pitch, almost a second striker. Right now Arshavin is the man for the job there and you could say Vela and Van Persie I suppose. Best chance for now is on the wing, he'll probably start all of the Carling cup games some FA cup appearances as well and depending on how well pre-season goes some Premiership action form the bench initially. He would need to have an outstanding season and play maybe 15-20 times before we could even consider him as potential first choice material. Same story as last season but more exposure.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:20 pm 
Trialist

I watched bits of the youth cup match last night. Even though the game was pretty much already settled in the first leg, there was still a job to be done. Whenever I tuned in, Jack Wilshere was the player that everything was going through. Some players looked a bit shakey at times and they found it hard to keep the ball. Jack Wilshere was just skipping through challenges and his passing ability was there for all to see. It seems as though this level is too easy for him haha.

I think that he will feature in this up coming pre season quite heavily again and I can see him being on the bench of quite a few Premier League games. It wouldn't surprise me if he was gradually bled into the team around Christmas time (Not big games obviously) Then hopefully towards the end of the season he might start a couple of games. Then I think the season after that he will become a major part of first team action.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
I think he should be brought in as backup for Walcott this season. I feel he could be really useful for us this year. I hope he plays a more important role for the first team this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:38 pm 

How is Wilshere doing so far this pre-season?
Can he play a bigger part this season in the first team than last season?
WIth now playing 4-3-3 there can be more chances for him.

Walcott------RVP------Arshavin
Arshavin----Eduardo----Vela
Wilshere----Bendtner----Eduardo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:22 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

I still think he needs quite a bit of growing up yet, carling cup and perhaps a few fa cup games for him.

He reminds me of Walcott in the way he plays, very quick, low centre of gravity but has a habit of just running into players and losing the ball too often.

Perhaps even a loan deal to a top championship team may be a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

There are some similarities between Theo and Jack but I think that the differences are striking as well. Jack looks more composed on the pitch, Theo at times is like a confused chicken. I doubt we will see Jack outside of the Carling Cup and early FA cup games. Although I do think that he will play an important role in the Carling Cup,more than likely starting.Perhaps at the end of the season,or when the inevitable injuries happen,perhaps a sub in the odd Prem game. He is still ridiculously young, and has lots of time

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:34 am 

I've heard some people comparing Jack to Messi at 17, and it simply isn't the case. Messi was the same player he was today at 17, direct runner, ball stuck to his toes, darting in and out, he didn't develop his style with age, he developed his potential. We're never going to see Wilshere running at defenders full pace with the ball stuck on the end of his toe, simply because it's not the way he plays. [Here is Messi @ the u20 World Cup @ 17]

I'd like to see how Wenger deals with Wilshere this season, obviously he's shown that he's good enough, but is he consistent enough? I think starting in the Carling Cup is a cert, and I think he'll get some game time when possible too, much like Le Boss did with Walcott when he first arrived, off the bench for 20 minutes most weeks to exploit tired defences, I don't think too many tired full backs who've had Walcott running at them for 70 minutes will be able to handle Jack dropping a shoulder and pulling them inside out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next