It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: Has Wenger's tenure run its course ?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:18 pm 

Jase wrote:
Personally, I lean toward the not very good at his job position. If he was offering any type of coaching it seems players would at least not be making basic defensive mistakes. Only one way to find out though, highly doubt I would be comfortable with him as any sort of interim guy though. I'd rather a complete break.

Remember when we were hoping for defensive improvement when Bould replaced Pat Rice? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jules wrote:
Jase wrote:
Personally, I lean toward the not very good at his job position. If he was offering any type of coaching it seems players would at least not be making basic defensive mistakes. Only one way to find out though, highly doubt I would be comfortable with him as any sort of interim guy though. I'd rather a complete break.

Remember when we were hoping for defensive improvement when Bould replaced Pat Rice? :lol:

In fairness for the start of the 2013/2014 season we got a lot better defensively and it was allegedly down to Bould having more input in training. Which was OK until Wenger started getting the hump thinking we were too defensive (despite us being top of the league, losing 1 game in something like 19 and looking as solid as we ever had defensively - it was the Aaron Ramsey show at that point also when he went on that really good run of form alongside Arteta) and then we shipped 6 away at Man City and allegedly Bould was not allowed to continue what he was doing.

That said, in the limited occasions Bould has led the team he has not shown anything to me that he could do a job for us. I remember one game when Wenger was banned where he appeared to be looking at the stands in a "what do I do" motion when we were losing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:56 pm 
Acclaimed member

Yeah, I'm not sure about that narrative, it sounded very retroactive puzzle-fitting from the outside, at the time. We appoint Bould, get a few clean sheets, everyone raved - then we don't, and it's all Wenger's fault. Just like how the narrative about us being shit at set pieces kept holding strong long after we stopped being shit, and at one point was even one of the league's best at not conceding from set pieces!

I suspect it will be important to get the next manager to bring in their own coaches and flush out that side of the club, too. Not because the coaches are horrible per se, but just to get things going.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 am 

Tuchel has turned down an offer from Bayern because he will go to "a big European [i.e., non-German] club". Now Kicker, a very reliable source, says that he will go to Arsenal in summer. Mislintat has apparently assured Arsenal he is dedicated to his work and is ok working under Tuchel again. Wow. This would be a stellar appointment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:16 am 

Official, on Sky Sports News, he will step down at the end of the season. It's time, more than time really, but thank you Arsene for everything you did for my club and the memories you gave me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:25 am 

Wow. It was to be expected, but it still came out of nothing.

I am relieved and at the same time very sad knowing it's over now.

Huge respect for the man.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:59 am 

Best Arsenal news for years! Feels like hope has returned.

Announcing this before we play Atlético is a very smart move, players will be more fired up, even the players who know their futures are now in doubt will raise their levels, the stadium will be full, everyone has a clear vision, get back in the CL and let the new man rebuild.

Huge respect for the man for what he did up till moving to the new stadium. It’s unfortunate that he has left a team in worse condition than when he inherited it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:30 pm 

On Tue Apr 06, 2010 this thread was initiated. It is now Fri Apr 20, 2018 and 147 pages long.
Jay wrote:
As much as it pains me to say it, I feel that Arsene Wenger's tenure as manager of Arsenal Football Club has run it's course.

Amazing on a lot of levels. Good to see there is some goodwill remaining for everything he has done. And glad to have some resolution for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 pm 
Acclaimed member

It's a good time to announce it in terms of the season. I think it was one or two years too late, but now that it's happening, the man is worth a few hundred tips of the hat.

Now let's see which of the players can be arsed to play for a manager who has achieved more than any of them (and has extended much generosity to some of their careers), as well as for their own Arsenal futures - and let's see if the board is capable of bringing in someone who isn't Brendan freaking Rodgers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:43 pm 

Legend. Thanks for the memories!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:43 am 

Now that Wenger has been pushed out of the club can we close this thread? :banana:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:05 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Sad times. :( :cry2: I was actually upset when the news broke. I'm sure you all know my sentiments about Wenger. Now there is closure on this issue we should just get behind the team and give the man a massive send off. It's the end of an era and we now move into the unknown. Time will tell if the board made the right decision.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:11 pm 

muckygooner wrote:
Now that Wenger has been pushed out of the club can we close this thread? :banana:

Don't be too hasty. I along with you and many Gooners wanted a change in managership but after 22 years he deserves respect until he leaves, some on this forum would want to make their comments so I believe the thread should remain until after his departure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:04 pm 

jimbo wrote:
muckygooner wrote:

Don't be too hasty. I along with you and many Gooners wanted a change in managership but after 22 years he deserves respect until he leaves, some on this forum would want to make their comments so I believe the thread should remain until after his departure.

Thread title - “Has Wengers tenure run its course?”

Answer - “yes”

Unless I’m missing something, what is the point keeping this open?

Perhaps I should start an “Arsene Wenger Appreciation” thread?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:07 pm 
Acclaimed member

We have like 3 active threads per subforum these days, it's not like there's any need for vigilante moderation. We'll say our pieces about Wenger, and soon naturally all the talk will be about possible new manager and new directions at the club, and rightly so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next