It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148
 Post subject: Re: Has Wenger's tenure run its course ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:55 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
muckygooner wrote:
Best Arsenal news for years! Feels like hope has returned.

Announcing this before we play Atlético is a very smart move, players will be more fired up, even the players who know their futures are now in doubt will raise their levels, the stadium will be full, everyone has a clear vision, get back in the CL and let the new man rebuild.

Huge respect for the man for what he did up till moving to the new stadium. It’s unfortunate that he has left a team in worse condition than when he inherited it.

I wouldn't say moving to a new 60K seater stadium, worldwide support, Invincible Manager (not even the mighty Man City or Ferguson could match this), Record FA cup winner in the history of English football is leaving the club in a worse position than when he inherited it. Yes, the season has not been great in the league but remember we are coming off the back of an FA Cup victory, reached a domestic cup final (Carabao Cup), semi-finals of a European trophy thus far. I wouldn't say that's a disastrous season. If we win the Europa League that would be another trophy added to the cabinet and i'm sure fans will still want change and moan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am 

Invincibles was for me his greatest achievement - most of the players were his players and I truly reckon that from 2002 to 2004 we were playing the best football in the world. He built a magnificent team - but this was 14 years ago and he has failed to build a top quality team since. Yes, we have won 4 cups in the time since - underlying this success has been a lot of decline. One can argue that not winning the CL despite qualifying more times consecutively is another sign of failure. Look at where ManU were when Ferguson took over, what he had done in that time, and more crucially where they were when he left - no comparison.

When Wenger took over Arsenal had not won the title for 5 years, and he had a good squad of experienced players , added great quality players and coaching techniques, taking the team to another level. The next manager Is inheriting a team that hasn’t won a title in 14 years and a squad that is the most disjointed undisciplined, and clueless for for nearly 30 years despite record spending.

Yes if you take the Stadium (and it’s revenue) and the overall financial position of the club yes we are in better shape. But the playing team - it’s an effing mess. The new coach is in a much worse position than Wenger when he arrived. I’ve been saying it for years... WAKE UP!

I really hope we win the Europa cup - not for some pathetic farewell for Arsene... for the new manager and the future of our club.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 am 
Acclaimed member

Yes, we know you've been saying it for years. :lol:

I'm too young to very closely compare the early 90s to now, but leaving that aside (it's a pretty pointless comparison anyway), the real question is how much of a shambles (or how much in good shape) the club is in behind the scenes to support the new manager and future success.

I think we'll start to get an answer on that a couple years on. Right now it's hard to say whether the coaching staff are all incompetent or Wenger is limiting them or some other combination, for example, but we could see the new manager arriving and marveling at the existing system, or saying alright all of you should have retired long ago, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148