It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: Has Wenger's tenure run it's course ?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:08 am 
Acclaimed member

There's a lot of exaggeration there, some idiots on MOTD and wherever might write us off but in general the media consensus is that we're a little bit short, nearly there but a little bit short - and most people would agree on that. Only a small minority here at AL ever predicted we'd be dumped out of Europe, as well. I agree we need to be patient and that talk of outing Wenger is ridiculous, but what is true is we are overdue this team coming good.

07-08 was the year we were meant to win the league, according to the Wenger Plan. We had the entire team made and ready to go; all the oldies gone and a new team around Cesc built superbly. We're 2 years from that now, but at least domestically, this is the best season we've ever had since the unbeaten run. It's all good as long as we keep improving...we didn't always do that season to season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:00 am 

I got to agree some real positive posts in here :thumbup:

What I'll add is I called for Wenger to step down last season if he didn't spend as many have in the past and thats exactly what this is about. With Wengers brains and co-workers, we can go sign players that are not known or are known but deemed not "Premier League quality" but then all of sudden theres a shocker, someone hits the ground running and starts pulling off wonders game after game. Now I'm not saying Wenger go out and buy someone for silly figures, I'll be pissed if that happens but he and his co-workers have it in them to find players in positions that will turn our squad into a real force and thats exactly what we're on the verge of becoming, its a fucking scary thought. This whole growth/development phase Wenger has allowed players to take part in is something that can only work in his favour with the quality he's picked out. During this whole development phase there comes a point were the team can actually challenge for honours which is "experience" gained and not confidence lost. People talk about us being weak when we're actually anything but weak, we could have easily crumbled but instead we come out fighting no matter what is in our way.
A few additions in different areas of the pitch and we could well be on the road of total domination like Barca but it all depends whether Wenger gets rid and adds in the transfer market. Spending reasonable fees for players based on their quality is something we would accept but writting silly figures on cheques is not the way to go having got this far based on living in the real world and living Wengers way of life.

Has Wengers tenure run its course? No as I can only see him going on a high. If he does whats needed, its just the beginning. The pendulum will soon swing in our favour but that doesn't mean it'll happen with the resources we currently have. With another season gone and certain players coming to an end of their Arsenal careers, we will have to buy. We can just hope Wenger does actually do the business this summer.

Having said all that, our season is not over, we will have to grind out 5 wins to have a possible shout of claiming the title which we're more than capable of doing but its up to players, they will have to dig deep within themselfs to produce performances that will allow us to claim 3pts game after game. Its incredibly important our players play as a team and make the right decisions and thats exactly what the media mean when they talk about Utd and Chelsea having the "experience" thats needed at this stage but theres always the moment of magic from an individual which is a bonus but that moment of magic is momentum, and with us normally having it in our favour, we're more than capable of achieving our goal of five wins. Whether or not the pendulum swings in our favour regarding other results is yet to be seen but the wins we need are ones that can only make us stronger. Just think about what this could do to us, the success would be far superior than picking up silverwear... building on it would then be vital which is where Wenger comes in and how he deals in the summer market.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:11 am 
Acclaimed member

This season has seen an improvement from nearly every single player in the squad, beyond perhaps the keepers, Eduardo and Rosicky. We have seen our squad decimated by injuries and in situations where it seemed where we out but we have a considerable level of depth and fight to keep a title challenge going. Our attack has flourished, we have scored goal after goal after goal, creating chances in most games, despite missing key strikers for considerable parts of the camapign. We have shown consistency against the "lesser" teams, rarely dropping silly points and not allowing ourselves to be bullied, what buys have been made have worked.

Certainly Wenger deserves another year at the very least. He has taken us to a certain level, the question is if he can take us one step further. Our flaws are there to all to see, we concede too many goals and in big games, though we perform fairly well, we lose while our injury list is, once again, heavy. He gambled on Almunia, which perhaps Almunia deserved the shot at it, but then didn't buy back up and has left Fabianski to stagnate when he needs games. He has gambled on Song being fit all season, mostly got away with it but would it have helped against Messi, if we could have thrown in a dm? Has gambled on Van Persie as our main striker, didn't work but we had enough quality to get away with it till Bendtner returned to valiantly lead the charge. He risked Gallas despite promising not to rush him back, yet he rushed him back and caused our best cb to break down injured, not learning from that mistake. Defensively, we are strong when under pressure, form a difficult unit to break down but we lack concentration and organisation when we haven't been under pressure, throwing too many forward and switching off at setpeices. Wenger doesn't seem to have spotted this till too late, now he has and we are improving but it is still a major weakness.

What we need doesn't seem to be too great. A world class keeper (and if Almunia leaves, a sub keeper as well), depth at dm, maybe an improvement in cb quality, maybe one more striker in terms of buys. Somebody to coach the team in the art of defending and the midfield in the art of pushing into their own box if need be rather then jogging back and halting on edge of box. Wenger not rushing players back before they are ready. Not allowing our cb's contracts to run out but singing them up quickly.

I do believe Wenger can take us to the next level with the budget he has. Is Wenger irreplaceable? No, he has been a fantastic manager for us but there are others out there but don't think now is the time to cut loose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:13 pm 

PG wrote:
I like Wenger and dislike him also. I understand he has information that we are not privy to. But to have a guy like Silvestre in against Barcelona, I cannot fathom the reasoning and why Lorik Cana was dismissed though he would have cost nothing. I still think that there are players out there who could improve the squad and they are overlooked. The fact that Lloris is at Lyon and not with us is inexcusable, Drogba at Chelsea, we turned him down at Guingamp, Ribery, judged not good enough at Metz. I repeat myself, but Wenger's eye for talent has not been what it was. Maybe he has too much on his plate but you can build a squad and not spend a fortune. I think the question is not how much you spend but on what you spend.

To be fair though, we don't know if those players would have been successful in our System. Sure, Drogba has been excellent at Chelsea, but would he have been as good at Arsenal? We don't know. Sure, some players (e.g. Christiano Ronaldo) would be good wherever they play, but that's not always true. Look at our own Eduardo. In the 4-4-2, even after his injury, he was very good, but now that we've moved to a 4-1-2-2-1 (or whatever it is that we play), he looks terrible. Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved for us to experimented with the likes of Ribery and Drogba but we will never know if they would have been a success at Arsenal and I don't feel it is entirely appropriate to blame Wenger for not buying these players...at least not blaming him to much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:43 pm 

Look, no one is really going to convince anyone of anything in this debate... given that we all seem to have already picked our "side" on this question.

But, I'll ask this: What hasn't been fun and exhilarating about this season?

I mean, we've been in a desperate fight where every game mattered and despite some huge setbacks, we're literally right in it to the very end. How much FUN has this season been? I think it's been immensely fun. Sure, I wish we were deeper at CB and Forward, but we're not... I expect that to change, but what offends you to be an Arsenal fan these days?

Secondly, what is so wrong with being a CL finalist, multiple-time semi-finalist, and competitive in the EPL, so long as a super-team isn't winning it? We've nearly won FA and Carling Cups.

Chelsea and Man United of the last few years have been more dominant than any winning teams in years past. Chelsea was a machine under Mourinho, highly paid and dominant. Man United were also very expensive, and outfitted with the best/second best player in the World for three years. So we couldn't unseat them? What's the loss in pride?

Would things be different if we had a Rooney, Drogba, or Torres? Probably. But is that what you're angry about? That a different manager would buy one of these for Huge amounts of money? That Robin van Persie missed most of the year and these guys didn't?

I'll reiterate: changing course from Wenger could open up entire cans of disaster. Liverpool right now is a disaster.

I may be a newer Arsenal fan then the rest of you, but as a non-Londoner my fandom comes from Wenger. It comes from a beautiful style of football, a commitment to growing young players out of the academy, and a system not dependent on $300 Million Cash Infusion.

Supposing a few things worked out differently this season and we could have eked out two draws with Man U or Chelsea... would this post still be here? We're talking about three points... and a very successful season up to this point.

Arsene Wenger has my complete support. I have faith he'll bring in reinforcements this summer, and I have faith that with so many key players locked up, we shall continue our good play next season.

And I'm thankful for such an enjoyable campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm 
Acclaimed member

ardyer wrote:
PG wrote:
I like Wenger and dislike him also. I understand he has information that we are not privy to. But to have a guy like Silvestre in against Barcelona, I cannot fathom the reasoning and why Lorik Cana was dismissed though he would have cost nothing. I still think that there are players out there who could improve the squad and they are overlooked. The fact that Lloris is at Lyon and not with us is inexcusable, Drogba at Chelsea, we turned him down at Guingamp, Ribery, judged not good enough at Metz. I repeat myself, but Wenger's eye for talent has not been what it was. Maybe he has too much on his plate but you can build a squad and not spend a fortune. I think the question is not how much you spend but on what you spend.

To be fair though, we don't know if those players would have been successful in our System. Sure, Drogba has been excellent at Chelsea, but would he have been as good at Arsenal? We don't know. Sure, some players (e.g. Christiano Ronaldo) would be good wherever they play, but that's not always true. Look at our own Eduardo. In the 4-4-2, even after his injury, he was very good, but now that we've moved to a 4-1-2-2-1 (or whatever it is that we play), he looks terrible. Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved for us to experimented with the likes of Ribery and Drogba but we will never know if they would have been a success at Arsenal and I don't feel it is entirely appropriate to blame Wenger for not buying these players...at least not blaming him to much.

Talent is talent no matter what, Im honestly believe that players along those lines would have improved the squad. As for Eduardo, he is nowhere near what he was, and Im not sure if he will get back to his old form, but we have to give him time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:27 pm 
Acclaimed member

AdmiringArsene wrote:
I'll reiterate: changing course from Wenger could open up entire cans of disaster.

Why would it open an entire can of disaster? The board would still remain and these are the guys who give Wenger money and control the finances, not Arsene Wenger.

AdmiringArsene wrote:
Supposing a few things worked out differently this season and we could have eked out two draws with Man U or Chelsea... would this post still be here? .

That really depends on if we won the league. We still can now but this post has still appeared.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 pm 

Tubzinho wrote:
AdmiringArsene wrote:
I'll reiterate: changing course from Wenger could open up entire cans of disaster.

Why would it open an entire can of disaster? The board would still remain and these are the guys who give Wenger money and control the finances, not Arsene Wenger.

AdmiringArsene wrote:
Supposing a few things worked out differently this season and we could have eked out two draws with Man U or Chelsea... would this post still be here? .

That really depends on if we won the league. We still can now but this post has still appeared.

Do you not see how upheaval weakens teams so dramatically? Real Madrid hasn't gotten past the Round of 16 for 6 years. Liverpool has been uneven and is now facing serious problems. Rafa Benitez, with the exception of Torres, has bought extremely poorly. He can't develop ANY young players; Babel and Reira hate him.

Spurs have been all over the place... Jol was doing fine until being fired. Ramos was all over the place and fired within weeks. Now they are back up in the top-4, but that kind of seesawing is dangerous.

The teams with stability (provided a strong manager) are the most successful teams long-term. They develop youth. They keep their youth and they built wisely. A system of unpredictable managerial change is dangerous. Not GUARANTEED to fail, but the possibility is out there. Hence, my phrase: "COULD open up cans of disaster." Not guaranteed, but certainly possible.

Second, if this post depends entirely on whether we draw one or two games or not (the potential difference between first or second), then this post is EXACTLY the definition of reactionary and knee-jerk. An intelligent long-term analysis would hardly factor the results of just one or two games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:50 pm 
Acclaimed member

AdmiringArsene wrote:
The teams with stability (provided a strong manager) are the most successful teams long-term. They develop youth. They keep their youth and they built wisely. A system of unpredictable managerial change is dangerous. Not GUARANTEED to fail, but the possibility is out there. Hence, my phrase: "COULD open up cans of disaster." Not guaranteed, but certainly possible.

On that very basis though, a change of manager and long term strategy (placing sporting objectives above financial ones) could well be the catalyst for rejuvenating the team if the right person is placed in charge. Arsenal are usually (Bruce Rioch aside) not reknowned for disgarding managers without giving them a real chance and I feel that unless Usmanov takes over or Kroenke shows a different face to his public one I see no reason why Wengers eventual replacement would not be given a decent amount of time to create his own team. But to be honest, the team doesn't need a lot of work and its conceivable that with 4-5 well targeted signings this team could become the best in the country.

Its about getting the right person. We may never find another Arsene Wenger for a long time but then I thought we would not find another George Graham for a long time and two years later along comes Wenger.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:04 pm 

Tubzinho wrote:
AdmiringArsene wrote:

On that very basis though, a change of manager and long term strategy (placing sporting objectives above financial ones) could well be the catalyst for rejuvenating the team if the right person is placed in charge. Arsenal are usually (Bruce Rioch aside) not reknowned for disgarding managers without giving them a real chance and I feel that unless Usmanov takes over or Kroenke shows a different face to his public one I see no reason why Wengers eventual replacement would not be given a decent amount of time to create his own team. But to be honest, the team doesn't need a lot of work and its conceivable that with 4-5 well targeted signings this team could become the best in the country.

Its about getting the right person. We may never find another Arsene Wenger for a long time but then I thought we would not find another George Graham for a long time and two years later along comes Wenger.

What you are proposing then is the following:

1) Arsene Wenger is not the man to make those 4-5 signings.
2) The odds of getting a superior manager are better than getting an inferior one, should Wenger be replaced.
3) That any risk involved of switching managerial paths and giving someone else a shot for 4-5 years is outweighed by the frustration you currently feel and the limitations facing Arsenal so long as Arsene Wenger is in charge.

Intellectually, I think all three of these calculations is incorrect.

Practically, Arsene Wenger is going nowhere until his contract runs out.... then we shall see if you shall get your wish. I very much hope not. Just as I hope that the current core of our team, which has expanded to include a talented, strong, young nucleus of players all signed to affordable long-term deals, will lead us to trophies. Potentially even this season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

AdmiringArsene wrote:
What you are proposing then is the following:

1) Arsene Wenger is not the man to make those 4-5 signings.
2) The odds of getting a superior manager are better than getting an inferior one, should Wenger be replaced.
3) That any risk involved of switching managerial paths and giving someone else a shot for 4-5 years is outweighed by the frustration you currently feel and the limitations facing Arsenal so long as Arsene Wenger is in charge.

Intellectually, I think all three of these calculations is incorrect.

Practically, Arsene Wenger is going nowhere until his contract runs out.... then we shall see if you shall get your wish. I very much hope not. Just as I hope that the current core of our team, which has expanded to include a talented, strong, young nucleus of players all signed to affordable long-term deals, will lead us to trophies. Potentially even this season.

Tubzinho wrote:
My hope and wish is that Wenger and the board realises that the sporting objectives must take higher priority and that they make winning the title their biggest priority. Because if they do that, I'm sure we will become the best again just as we did twice before. However I fear that is not what Wenger and the board is about anymore and perhaps we have reached a point where a change may well be a positive for the club in the long term.

I have quoted from original post because I think its puts my point across. My wish is that Arsene Wenger forgets about being a financial guru and refocuses his efforts on making Arsenal FC, the football club, great again. If he does that then I am sure the board will follow suit, grant him the resources he needs to reinforce the squad and we will do that. However, if Wenger continues to, in my opinion, prioritise the financial side of the club over the sporting side of the club then this constant revolving door we have had over the last 4 years or so in regards to losing at least one if not two key first team players each season and having to replace them will not stop and therefore I can not see how Arsenal FC can improve as a club and reach the heights we used to with such a policy in place.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:02 pm 
Managing Editor

One thing I will say.

If we are to improve the squad then you're looking at top draw players. That means £20m perhaps, unless you buy potential and be prepared to wait. £20m is a gamble and perhaps we were just not in a position for that kind of gamble to not pay off. Perhaps that has held Wenger back a bit. Our financial position required prudence over the last 5 years and that was certainly the right course. Everybody was spending above their means. Arsenal as well had huge debt associated with the new stadium and a lot of cash locked into the property sector which as well took a hit because of the market down turn.

I think the developmental policy has worked, it was right for the club financially, we could never compete with Chelsea and simply didn't have the money to buy new untouchables. More over we have a real mega asset in that squad value that we've paid a fraction for the value for. Take Cesc, Van Persie, Clichy, Song and consider the added value the list is endless. We're talking £500k, £3.5m, £500k, £2.5m in just those four purchases. Now they are worth let's say £50m, £20m, £15m and £15m. So that's £7m spent, current value £100m. You can extend that for 50% of the players we have.

Now we've developed a core we're in a new phase now of development. Adding quality to what we already have. I see Arshavin, Vermaelen as players who fit this new phase of buying ready made players. Now thanks to financial prudence we are able to act bigger from a position of fiscal strength. I expect Wenger will be looking for a keeper, centre back or two plus at least one front 6 player.

Also, we should acknowledge that buying top draw isn't easy even with the resource and will! Competition and availability of course are key considerations.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:40 am 

Corny wrote:
One thing I will say.

If we are to improve the squad then you're looking at top draw players. That means £20m perhaps, unless you buy potential and be prepared to wait. £20m is a gamble and perhaps we were just not in a position for that kind of gamble to not pay off. Perhaps that has held Wenger back a bit. Our financial position required prudence over the last 5 years and that was certainly the right course. Everybody was spending above their means. Arsenal as well had huge debt associated with the new stadium and a lot of cash locked into the property sector which as well took a hit because of the market down turn.

I think the developmental policy has worked, it was right for the club financially, we could never compete with Chelsea and simply didn't have the money to buy new untouchables. More over we have a real mega asset in that squad value that we've paid a fraction for the value for. Take Cesc, Van Persie, Clichy, Song and consider the added value the list is endless. We're talking £500k, £3.5m, £500k, £2.5m in just those four purchases. Now they are worth let's say £50m, £20m, £15m and £15m. So that's £7m spent, current value £100m. You can extend that for 50% of the players we have.

Now we've developed a core we're in a new phase now of development. Adding quality to what we already have. I see Arshavin, Vermaelen as players who fit this new phase of buying ready made players. Now thanks to financial prudence we are able to act bigger from a position of fiscal strength. I expect Wenger will be looking for a keeper, centre back or two plus at least one front 6 player.

Also, we should acknowledge that buying top draw isn't easy even with the resource and will! Competition and availability of course are key considerations.

Corny: I agree with what you say but for me and you, our expectations are not generally realised by Wenger.
How many times have we expected or hoped that he would sign certain players for key positions, only for him to say, "We are strong in that dept" when all the world and his dog can see that we have a problem.
No, I dont believe Wenger tenure as run it's course as I cant think of anyone out there, at this moment in time, who i would like to see as a replacement. But two things I would like to see come the end of the season would be Wenger stopping being so loyal to players who need replacing, and a kick up the proverbial to those that need it and secondly, has anyone thought that if he doesn't win anything this season, HE might wonder if he has gone as far as he can with this side ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:24 pm 
Managing Editor

jimbo, I think to an extent Wenger has to say that he believes in the current strength of squad even if he doesn't believe it. He cannot come out at the beginning of a season and say ow well we're short but we'll try to make do. We have a developing squad who can improve and in Song we've seen that hugely this season. Confidence also plays a big part in performance so I think he's right to back the players publicly, behind the scenes though you want him to be working on bringing in top draw additions who'll add to the team. With the £16m and £10m spent on Arshavin and Vermaelen we have done that quite superbly. Arshavin is a bit hit and miss but this league is a big cultural change for him and he's had to play injured and out of position a number of times.

On your point about loyalty that's a delicate one. Alex Song was persisted with and now at 22 he looks the business. Eboue has improved immeasurably this season as well. I believe continuity can be a strength, that said I do feel the time is right to make some changes.

Rosicky and Eduardo are the ones I am worried about because of their age and injury record. Eduardo doesn't seem to fit this current system whilst Rosicky cannot complete 90 minutes it seems. I would be more patient with Denilson and Diaby because at 22-23 you can still get improvement and they are adequate cover at the very least. Ramsey is the top draw player to wait for to surpass both.

Almunia I don't think we can persist with this one. Keepers are trickier because there arn't too many world class keepers period, let alone available. Neur, Akineev and Lloris looks good possibilities though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:56 pm 
Acclaimed member

Corny wrote:
One thing I will say.

This post really sums up my feelings on the subject to be honest. I think we're all smart enough to realise that the manager has had to operate under some pretty strict financial controls due to the route we've taken in aquiring a new stadium and moving the club forward without living beyond our means. I've always been in favour of the approach that we've taken, even more so when one only has to look around the league to see where financial frivolity can lead, and despite it being frustrating at times it is paying off in my opinion.

At times I think maybe Arsene Wenger has personally felt that little bit too much responsibility when it came to the purse strings, not surprising as at one stage he was operating as much more than a manager and having to think about more than just training with the squad. But since Gazidis came aboard the good ship Arsenal, Wenger has been free to do what he does best and not worry so much about the pounds and pence available to him. And as time goes on our financial position gets stronger as we're paying off our debts, I don't believe that we're as financially hamstrung as we were say a year or two ago.

There are still failings with our team, as Jimbo has put it somethings are still very obvious to all and sundry. With some fans it appears that Wenger is, at times, too loyal to his current squad and unwilling to majorly change things around to go and chase the glory. I say that this isn't the case at all, rather that the man can only fix so many problems at one time with the resources he has at his disposal. Of course some issues that this team has had actually didn't need much investment, merely patience and time. Such an area is central midfield, where once there was inherent weakness there is now (when everyone is fit and raring) acknowledged strength and depth. But Wenger has shown that he's willing to spend the cash on established players to slot in and strengthen the side, the only thing is that he might only be able to afford to buy one or two guys when maybe four or five players are ideally required. I believe he will strengthen our defence this Summer, and the attack if the signing of a certain Mr Chamakh does indeed happen, and he will be able to afford it. I think he would have strengthened the defence in January or the previous Summer if the money and the right targets were there to buy....

Arsene is still the right man for the job for me. Although the club hasn't won a trophy in a few years and is still somewhat in the shadow of the infamous Invincibles team untill they do, there has been progress made and the direction the club is going in is forward and not backwards; As long as Mr Wenger is still taking us forward then I am happy. This season we have moved forward compared to last and there's no real reason to think that this won't continue. Progress might not have happened as fast as we'd all have liked and Lord knows it's been testing at times, but I'm willing to be patient. Alex Song and Abou Diaby have taught me the value of that particular virtue. My criteria for this team at the beginning of every season is to compete with our rivals and that's exactly what's happening right now, in that sense I am happy enough. Besides, I really don't believe that we'll be waiting another five years for a taste of success. I'm sure we'll taste it sooner rather than later, and under Wenger's reign.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 148  Next