It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Strengthening - Your viewpoint and Wenger's likely moves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:00 am 
Managing Editor

Arsene has said he'll sign a maximum of three players, he also noted he would sign a centre back if Gallas left. You could read that as I'll sign two players, I'm sure a fair few would feel the team needs a bit more than that. Will two be enough? Where will those signings be?

Running it through -

GK - Must buy
FB - Fine
CB - Depends on Gallas
CM - Debatable
AM - Debatable
CF - Must buy

GK
No question, it's obvious. I think Wenger knows as well.

Verdict - Corny says buy, Wenger will buy

CM
Centre midfield I have also defined debatable, Ramsey, Cesc and Song have enough quality. But we're too reliant on Cesc, Ramsey is out injured and Denilson and Diaby have not proven themselves as dependable high quality replacements. On reflection of the over reliance on Cesc and how weak we look without him I think we do need have better next season. Wenger will probably back Denilson and Diaby as cover hoping for development in the relatively young pair.

Verdict - Corny says buy, Wenger won't buy

AM
Personally I think we need much more from our 'wingers' next season. Goals and assists have been far too low, we're too dependant on creativity and goals from central midfield. I would be tempted to see another player BUT I also feel Wilshere could be the man to push for that role. He'll bring some tenacity, work rate and possibly goals too certainly I expect assists.

Verdict - Corny says don't buy, Wenger won't buy

CF
If we lose Van Persie or Bendtner we're short, we lacked another spear head striker. Wenger has made no secret of interest in Chamakh so clearly he sees a need and his mind looks set. Guessing I think his two signings match my must buy positions keeper and striker.

Verdict - Corny says buy, Wenger will buy

Post subject: Re: Strengthening - Your viewpoint and Wenger's likely moves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:05 am 
Acclaimed member

Remember Wenger counts re-signing players as new signings, so Gallas to him could be one of those 2/3. I think he will buy a keeper, another Midfielder some who can be a consistent partner for Cesc and then Chamakh. I also wouldnt be surprised if we see Denilson/Diaby being sold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:27 am 

I would like to see, at least, five players signed. A keeper to replace Almunia, one or two centre-backs to replace Gallas if he leaves or a third-choice/pushing Gallas out if he stays. Campbell and Silvestre are uncertain to stay at the club and I hope Silvestre doesn't as he takes up a salary that could be used elsewhere. I would like a left sided winger with pace. I think Arshavin is edging towards a move elsewhere and I'd like to see a striker which looks like it will be Chamakh which is ok if Van Persie can stay fit for a reasonable length of time.

I'd like a defensive midfielder, too, and why not Etienne Capoue? It's just to cover Song and he's 21, captain of the u-21's. Wenger says that there is no market but you make a bid for him and the club will have to sell because the player will force them into it.

I fear what Wenger will do in the summer. Chamakh looks nailed on but for the rest I fear talk about killing careers. The keeper situation, I think Wenger is under an obligation to do something so I think two signings are certain but I'd want more than that. There are quite a few players that I'd like to see leave the club eg Silvestre, Diaby, Arshavin, Eduardo, Almunia. Not good enough or in the case of the Russian, don't care enough.

I don't want to see experienced players leaving but guys like Lloris and Chamakh have just as much experience and having experience is not always a benchmark. Almunia has experience and so does Silvestre.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:34 am 

Given the smalling interest was confirmed i think were in for a young center back in the 20-22 age bracket. And if Gallas leaves he needs to be replaced on top of that with a highly experienced defender. I think Gallas might sign again anyone else this late in the contract id be sure there leaving but Gallas is a strange character and i think going to a smaller club wont appeal to him now. And going to giant club might mean he is on the bench like at chelsea and at his age you need games to stay young. If he sees Almunia being replaced i think he'll sign. He'd stopped talking to Almunia before he got injured he just gave him cold angry looks.

After this years blunders i think wenger has no choice but to bring in a keeper both options failed so badly this season you felt any shot was going to be a goal. Szczesny can go on loan has all the ability and talks the talk, but he is heading for a slump like every young player after the hype starts to settle. Theirs always a dip in form they have to get over and id prefer if he did that somewhere else. In reality the transfer target that wengers talking about is probably a contract extension for Almunia its like a new signing only for it isn't.

Hazard could replace rosicky as wenger cant guarantee rosicky a first team place because he is not ideally suited to any role in the team anymore and at his age rosicky isn't gonna want to sit and watch. Rosicky seems to look much better in the national side when they play 5 across the middle instead of our 3 with the wide players further forward. Players are closer and his fast short passing suits that. he is probably worth a few pounds to but i think it will depend on Hazards availability.

To be honest i think a yaya or kompany style player that can fill in at defensive midfield and center back would be perfect.

Eduardo could go needs first team football and is falling down the pecking order. Vela could do with a loan until christmas to get some games.

Being 100% honest once the defense is sorted out i don't care if we don't sign anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:57 am 
Acclaimed member

As always we get this wide variety of views, it's quite surprising for me that some go as far to advocate 5 new signings. We were pretty damn close this year, after all.

For me we need a new goalkeeper, I mean, it's just so obvious. It's top priority and the bulk of our budget should go here. After that, I think centre-half is just as obvious, no matter whether Gallas stays or not. To me those two positions need great signings, and after that anything else is a bonus. As long as we don't get any weaker (i.e. unload Vela/Merida/Eduardo, buy nobody else), I think it's alright. I'd say it's important to hang on to Arshavin, I think we're a bit too quick to turn on him, quality is quality and we need to hang on to quality.

As for what Wenger will do, I think it's quite similar. A new goalkeeper, a new centre-half and then Chamakh the Done Deal (apparently). This will be offset by the departure of a goalkeeper, possibly Gallas, Merida, then possibly one of Vela and Eduardo. In other words, it's going to be another summer where we're wondering if the squad will end up stronger and bigger, or just rejiggled and rebalanced. I think the big worry is that Gallas might leave, then Wenger might supplement with just one centre-half.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 am 

Buy Goalkeeper.
Need a centrehalf. Gallas is 30 and he's beginning to pick up injuries, and not shake them off so quickly, so even if he stays....
Need more up front. Van Persie is injured half the season every season, mainly from international matches. Any decent goalscorer should be able to score plenty for us, even if they don't contribute too much in other areas, but every time Arsene buys one it doesn't work out (Jeffers, Eduardo) Wouldn't have minded Darren Bent even, got pace and power, and scores off beachballs. Would have given us something different. Too late now I think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:12 am 

Gallas is 32, so injuries are likely to be an issue.

Two centre backs, a decent keeper. Chamackh on a free, if we get these I'm happy, but I think we are neglecting to consider some players may go, which will bring in the need for replacements. If fast Eddie goes, which I could see happening, we are even shorter up front so may need to dip in and get another striker.

Surprised everyone sees a need for another holding player. Song is going to start every game hopefully, and Eastmond will only get better. Denilson plays it differently but does an ok job there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:54 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Beeergkaaaamp!
Ok, also don't forget he will count Djourou as a new signing as well. :lol:

Personally I think we need to buy a new keeper. I'd like to keep Almunia as number 2. I don't believe we can have a successful Carling or FA Cup run with Fabianski in goal. I don't see what everyone raves about in him to be honest.

I'd like to see us address our centreback position again. Silvestre needs to be let go, and I think we can let Gallas leave to. Resign Campbell if he wants and then bring in one (or two new ones). One of Subotic or Hangeland would do for me. Match some size with Vermaelen's speed and intelligence. Senderos will be released or sold this summer I guess (has he even played for Everton?). I don't know what future Nordhveit has with us, but Kyle Bartley may step up into the team at some point. He seems to have promise.

I also would like to see a reliable partner or deputy for Song. It's true that we are devoid of impetus without Cesc but we are fragile without Song. I think we can scrape wins with strong defense if Cesc is out, but when Song is not covering our line we are so exposed. I'm surprised Rosicky wasn't given a chance to fill in for Cesc instead of Nasri this season. It's a natural position for him, better than out wide.

For forwards, it seems like a done deal that Chamakh is coming and that will suffice.

So I make it 4 signings, but would settle for 3.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:34 pm 
Acclaimed member

I was hoping there would be more than 2 or 3 but I think that is because Wenger wants to give Djourou a chance.

We need a top class goalkeeper, no questions there. So I hope that is one of the players.

The second will more than likely be Chamakh. So that strengthens us offensively.

The third? I think that depends on William Gallas. If he leaves then I think Wenger will sign a centre half. Personally I want two top class centre backs because I think we will be left with Vermaelen, Djourou and Nordtveit come June time and that is not strong enough since I also don't rate Djourou and Nordtveit is an unknown quantity. My hope is Gallas stays I still hope we sign a top centre half to compete and also allow Gallas and Vermaelen to be rested.

I was also hoping we would sign a central midfielder but I think Wenger will still place blind faith in Diaby and Denilson, who will frustrate us forever more. One more in there as well wouldn't go a miss since we also now have the quandry as to will the unfortunate Aaron Ramsey come back to the standard he was at and progress or will he fall into the same sicknote bracket as so many others who play for this club nowadays. I so hope the former is true but the track record of players coming back from injuries nowadays at Arsenal FC is not good.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:17 am 

I think most of us can be in agreeance that a goalkeeper and a centre back are the more likely reinforcements.

However, I think that a combative defensive midfeilder as cover for Song is probably more imperative than either of those two at the moment.

Denilson and Diaby have both proven inept when it comes to tracking back and providing decent cover to the back four, and to me Song is our only defensive midfielder. You look at the likes of Chelsea who have Obi Mikel covering for Essien, whenever Song has been absent we've not had an adequate cover for his role in retrieving the ball and setting the platform.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Wenger - Midfield has not been the problem
By Chris Harris
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-midfield-has-not-been-the-problem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

Arsène Wenger is already assessing where his team went wrong this season and he does not believe Arsenal's problems stem from midfield. The Frenchman adopted a 4-3-3 formation at the start of the campaign and Cesc Fabregas, Alex Song, Abou Diaby and Denilson have made the majority of starts in those three midfield berths. That quartet have contributed 33 goals between them while Song has developed into an outstanding defensive midfielder, but some believe Wenger should strengthen his midfield options this summer.

As ever the manager is being urged to unearth the 'new Patrick Vieira'. However, Wenger thinks that might be an impossible task. "First of all I must say that no matter how much money you spend to find a Patrick Vieira [it is hard to do]," he said. "Since I am in England, I hear 'this is the new Patrick Vieira' when a guy is tall and strong. "But I believe strongly that our midfield are developing very well with Song, Diaby and Denilson because they are young, very young, but different to Patrick Vieira.

“I believe in them because if you compare them two years ago and this year they are tremendously improved and if they continue to play together, especially with Fabregas, they have a good understanding. "I believe the midfield was not a problem this year because we created so many chances from midfield and we dominated nearly all the games in midfield. I don’t think we had a big problem in there. I believe we had a problem of efficiency defensively."

So does that rule out the possibility of a midfielder coming in. I think Wenger may consider a move for a mdfielder if the price is too good to be true.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:43 pm 

Wenger has always said that if a good opportunity arises he will look at it.

Chamakh is great because he wouldn't command a transfer fee. I also feel that Wenger could go in for Joe Cole as he is free in the summer too. Can't see anything wrong with this and because he is a title winner he would definitely be beneficial to us. Obviously I understand we are armoured in these positions but lets not kid ourselves, mentally the Chelsea players are way better than us and I see no harm in taking players from a btter team.

That is two freebies. the problem would be that they are in the positions that we don't see as vital to improve.

I think most people agree that Song has been great but he needs support in defending the back four so get in the dog of war type i.e Scott Parker who covers plenty of ground and will spring into action only when we lose the ball. That is clearly our problem when we play against teams that can play half decent, we are not the best at pressing in midfield and up front. Chamakh, Joe Cole and Parker CAN do this.

However, I don't think Wenger will sign another attacking midfielder or a midfield harrier.

A goalkeeper is a MUST but I think equally our defense needs more support from midfield. For me its a tossup between a DM player and a centre back.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:27 pm 
Trialist

For me the prioirty is (in this order):

Goalkeeper (Hart or maybe Frey)
Centre back (Cahill or Hangeland)
Forward (Chamakh I suppose )
Def mid (Parker)

I would also be happy to see Micah Richards instead of Eboue and Joe Cole instead of Rosicky but neither essential

Take any reasonable offers for Eduardo, Rosicky, Sylvestre, Almunia, Denilson

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:53 am 

Goalkeeper - I'm not sure if the current situation where Almunia is 'out injured' while Fabianski plays indicates that Almunia's future at Arsenal is over or that Fabianski is placed on the shopping window. Almunia might not have been a world class keeper but i must say that his previous 2 seasons have been consistent if unspectacular. However his clumsiness has crept in occasionally this season and it has definitely costs us the vital points and Fabianski hasn't prove that he can be relied upon consistently. Wenger must have felt that he must act in this position if we are to get anything next season. I suspect one of them will be loaned out or sold in the summer. Based on what Wenger has said, it looks to me that he'll keep Fabianski, offload Almunia and get a new numero uno. Wojiech, the young Pole will probably be loaned out to a Championship side to get more experience before he comes back and take over the 2nd or 3rd slot.

Centerback - Silvestre will most likely go and i suspect Gallas might leave as well. Senderos is as good as gone when Sol was signed so i don't think he will be replaced. Sol looks like his love for the club has been rejuvenated and he has a purpose here. So all in all, 3 might be leaving but realistically it's only 2. With them leaving, we're left with Vermaelen, Djourou and Sol and i feel Wenger will buy a proven CB to replace Gallas and promote one of Bartley or Nordtveit to replace Silvestre with Song as the emergency cover. But with Djourou still trying to outdo Rosicky in the treatment room, we might be short once again if one of the first choice CB is injured. Really need at least a signing or two in this position.

Forward - Chamakh.

Departures - I don't think Wenger will allow anyone to leave other than a keeper and 2 CB simply because we were close this season and he will try to persuade the likes of Eudardo, Rosicky etc to stay and fight for one more season before deciding on their future.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:07 pm 
Acclaimed member

Glory.Gunner.au wrote:
I think most of us can be in agreeance that a goalkeeper and a centre back are the more likely reinforcements....However, I think that a combative defensive midfeilder as cover for Song is probably more imperative than either of those two at the moment.

Couldn't disagree more with this, we are in desperate need of some rebuilding to our backline in the form of defenders and also a new 'keeper and quite frankly a new center midfielder is lower on the list of priorities. That's not to say that I'd be against Wenger making an upgrade in this department if the right player was available at the right price but if we signed a midfielder ahead of any defensive signings then I would be most unhappy. One thing we've learned about this team in this season alone is that despite our ability to score goals we also have a major weakness in conceding them, therefore in my mind the only area Wenger needs to be majorly concerned with strengthening at this time is the defence. Pursuing a back-up midfielder can wait as far as I'm concerned, in fact I'm not yet totally convinced that one is even needed.

Assuming for a moment that Gallas and Silvestre will leave I'd be hoping that Wenger will sign a new goalkeeper, a replacement for Gallas in defence and hopefully another defender too on top of what looks to be the inevitable arrival of Chamakh. That to me would represent the ideal scenario in terms of Summer business. In reality I could see one less defender being bought in perhaps but I still think that the bulk of the new blood will be of a defensive nature, and if Wenger can get the right players in this department and improve the solidarity at the back then we'll have a very good side indeed for next season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next