It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gervinho
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:46 pm 

Well that was quite the impressive start from our new signing, 2 goals in 30 minutes against Cologne in a pre-season friendly.

Now of course we can't put too much emphasis on a friendly and it certainly doesn't give an indication on how he'll fare in English football, however what I did like about his goals was that they were strikers goals, one touch, after getting in behind the defence, he showed composure in his finishing.

I wonder if he might be able to cover for van Persie as well as playing on both flanks. One things for sure I'm looking forward to seeing what this boy can do when it matters.

Post subject: Re: Gervinho
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:04 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

Watching him play made me realise how much we miss a bit of direct pace on the wings. I'm not talking the shear speed of Walcott, or neither the acceleration of Arshavin or Nasri, but I'm talking that burst of pace in behind the defence that Ljungberg or Pires used to have.

Far too long we've had wide players who have been happy to drop deep and get the ball. Finally in Gervinho it appears we've got someone who is happy to make those runs behind the defence to score.

Hopefully he keeps it up :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:52 am 

-Jk- wrote:

Seriously, let's hope he doesn't burn out halfway through the season like Chamakh did. Although Chamakh probably had to play more games than planned, if the likes of Walcott and Arshavin stay fit, Gervinho won't need to play if he is exhausted. I am looking forward to the competition they will have for the two attacking slots. This is the situation we should have for most places in the squad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:54 am 

-Jk- wrote:
Watching him play made me realise how much we miss a bit of direct pace on the wings. I'm not talking the shear speed of Walcott, or neither the acceleration of Arshavin or Nasri, but I'm talking that burst of pace in behind the defence that Ljungberg or Pires used to have.

Far too long we've had wide players who have been happy to drop deep and get the ball. Finally in Gervinho it appears we've got someone who is happy to make those runs behind the defence to score.

Totally agree, I honestly don't think we've had a winger like Gervinho since Overmars if truth be told. He certainly has an eye for goal and has that 'poacher's instinct about him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:59 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

Jules wrote:
-Jk- wrote:

Seriously, let's hope he doesn't burn out halfway through the season like Chamakh did. Although Chamakh probably had to play more games than planned, if the likes of Walcott and Arshavin stay fit, Gervinho won't need to play if he is exhausted. I am looking forward to the competition they will have for the two attacking slots. This is the situation we should have for most places in the squad.

Personally I think Chamakh suffered mentally more than physically and I would like to think Gervinho will cope better.

Saying that however, we have got to bare in mind Gervinho will be off to the ACN in January and in 2013 with Ivory Coast. Annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:02 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Off the ball movement is exceptional from him. Always looking to get through on goal from wide positions. He is going to do that all season this season. I reckon he can hit at least 15 goals this season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:46 am 

Team South East wrote:
Off the ball movement is exceptional from him. Always looking to get through on goal from wide positions. He is going to do that all season this season. I reckon he can hit at least 15 goals this season.

Walcott is itching for that place up top. He still thinks of himself as a striker and with Bendtner gone he was one step closer. Now with Gervinho's arrival he has serious paceful (i know thats not a real word) competition for the center forward role.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:20 pm 
Acclaimed member

If a certain other player had not of been in such red hot goalscoring form, we could be a lot more critical of Gervinho's finishing in recent games. I admire that he keeps getting into those positions and hopefully its only a matter of time but he needs to be far more clinical in front of goal than he is and convert some of the chances he has been having because this could become a real issue if we lose Van Persie. Some of the chances have been very good chances as well that a top player should be sticking away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:09 pm 
Acclaimed member

Tubzinho wrote:
If a certain other player had not of been in such red hot goalscoring form, we could be a lot more critical of Gervinho's finishing in recent games. I admire that he keeps getting into those positions and hopefully its only a matter of time but he needs to be far more clinical in front of goal than he is and convert some of the chances he has been having because this could become a real issue if we lose Van Persie. Some of the chances have been very good chances as well that a top player should be sticking away.

At the moment I'm simply thankful that we have one advanced attacker on the flanks that is a constant danger to the opposing team, even if he doesn't always take the opportunities he creates for himself. With Walcott blowing hot and cold, and Arshavin unable to ever put a string of top performances together, it's good that we've one guy who is always a thorn in the oppositions side from that position. If he keeps up plugging away like he has been then I forsee he'll end up with plenty of goals and assists by the end of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:41 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Beeergkaaaamp!
Finishing has been off lately and he needs to take that up a notch. Maybe a confidence thing or something. Aside from that he's always dangerous running with the ball and opens space up for other players. I've noticed also that he is pretty good at tracking back which is nice especially when he's on the left in front of Santos.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:55 pm 

As dangerous as he is, he still smacks of being very Theo-esque. A point I made following his signature. He does seem very erratic in terms of technical ability and decision making and unfortunately he has done nothing to dispel that in his first few months.

It's such a shame too as off the ball he comes across as a very intelligent player, and is more than capable of beating a man. His willingness to take on a man shows signs of confidence in his ability to beat them too and is no coincidence as to why he's so good at doing it.

However between yesterday and now Norwich he doesn't seem to be willing to finish past the keeper, instead the intent seems to be to try and take it around him. You don't see him trying to open his body up and finish it beyond the keeper for example. That and his final ball are, at the minute, the real difference between him being 'Good' so far and him being 'Brilliant'.

I also think he's better when making split-second decisions than he is at making a decision having had time to make it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:08 pm 

I think the Criticism of Gervinho is fair but harsh. The positives he brings to the team far outway the negatives and don't forget he's new to the league as well. Personally I prefer him to Nasri, what did Nasri actually do in his time here?? Theirs no doubting Nasri's talent but Gervinho brings more excitement to the team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:16 pm 
Managing Editor

He's done well for me, more than well. Plenty of assists, brought a new dimension with his pace, flair and movement and has got in the right positions to score. Convinced goals will come.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:01 pm 
Acclaimed member

His assist rate is very good, and I saw a stat recently which showed his start to his Arsenal career destroys Nasri's. If we're comparing.

Like Corny, what he brings outweighs his flaw in finishing. It may cost us dearly in future, one on one in the last minute of a semi-final say, but even if this attribute remains inconsistent I'd still have him as my first choice wide-player (a position I think we need to improve however as we have question marks over Gervinho, Arshavin and Theo - who are only backed up by Ryo and Oxlade-Chamberlain - maybe Benyaoun?).

I have a hope though that his finishing will improve. One of the things I like about Wenger is that he somehow has the ability to turn an erratic finished into at least a good one - Henry and Cesc are both players I remember actually coming out and saying Wenger has improved this side of their game. For all his faults I still see Wenger as a manager who can mold a player, even late in their careers, to the point where the effects on the pitch are noticeable. Whether he does this psychologically or through intensive work on technique I don't know. I personally think Gervinho, like a lot of players, just needs to be a lot calmer in shooting situations.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:51 pm 

Corny wrote:
He's done well for me, more than well. Plenty of assists, brought a new dimension with his pace, flair and movement and has got in the right positions to score. Convinced goals will come.

I'm not going to argue there at all, I mean he's contributed to 7 goals (5 Assists, 2 Goals) in 9 Premier League outings which is a remarkable return for a player who is so new to the league. It's his movement which is the best asset of his game in my opinion. The timing of his runs are exceptional and the fact he's always on the move drags players left right and centre.

However for a player who has got himself into so many dangerous positions, I personally think that if had more composure about him you could easily double those statistics. His one on one against Norwich and his open goals against Chelsea and Norwich should see his goal tally at 5 and that's just adding what he should have scored in our last two League games.

I'm not slating the bloke by any means, as I'm a firm believer in 'You've got to be there to miss them', but when someone's doing so well to get himself in those positions or simply missing easy opportunities it's disappointing from a player doing so well every where else.