It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Carl Jenkinson
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
This guy is growing on me. Ever since the Liverpool game I have been thinking, yes, this is the real deal. He is going to be an exceptional full back as he gets older. England will be really disappointed they did not tie him down any earlier. Fantastic work from our scouts yet again. I just love his attitude, no nonsense and gives 100%. Good lad!

Post subject: Re: Carl Jenkinson
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

Still don't see it myself.

His positioning is still poor and he still chases the ball a lot. His technique and decision making still needs a lot of work as well.

I like his attitude though, he works hard and you can tell he's a team player. He's learning to do the simple things well rather than try anything too fancy ala Eboue.

He'll definitely improve but from what I've seen so far I certainly havn't seen anything to convince me he'll become a top class full back (apart from his good pace).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 am 
Acclaimed member

Works hard but so far seems to be a weak point that other teams are seeking to exploit, particularly his poor positioning. Still young but has a long long way to go and for now, will be concerned whenever I see his name on the team-sheet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 am 

His biggest problem will be his distinct lack of pace. In the modern day where wingers are generally so quick, he's already at a big disadvantage. If he plays Sunday (God forbid) then we'll see just how good he is up against pace possessed by the top wingers of the game. I've got a feeling he be beaten easily time and time again by pace. Unfortunately.

I don't think he'll ever make it as a top Full Back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Unbelievable responses. Anyone would think he was as fast as Teddy Sheringham. :lol: He was up against pace last night (Arnero) and he handled it pretty well. I just love his hunger though. He is always looking to do something positive. They tried to see him as a weakness but he held up strong. If you ask me they tried more to go down the side Sagna was playing on and saw more that side a weakness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:40 am 

It's not unbelievable. He's simply not that quick. As such, he ends up having to put the ball out of touch a lot when chasing back, as opposed to someone like Sagna or Gibbs who can track back, defend and retain possession as a result of their pace.

Fair point about Armero, but it's only know he's been asked to play as a Left Winger week in week out. Last year he was their Left Wing Back, so his attacking prowess is not going to be anywhere near as good as that as more established Wingers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm 

Location: Like Oscar Washington Tabarez - I won't be eating my christmas cake in Milan.
For someone who hasn't played above league 1 his performance last night at the very least shows he must have incredible mental strength - a quality we seem to be short on. many players of his age and limited experience would cack themselves making such a quick jump. He also seems to be pretty decent in the air which is not usually a quality our fullbacks possess. Technically there's plenty of room for improvement but he hasn't looked out of his depth.

I bet he'll get an England call by the end of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:54 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Still cant believe we didn't beat westham... in April... of 2007
Jenkinson was a bag of nerves in the first leg of the Udinese tie and seemed like an accident waiting to happen. He was immense against pool probably in part due to the level of expectations the first Udinese game set. Was good again yesterday in the second Udinese game impressing with his performing of attacking and defensive duties and work rate. Still not entirely comfortable with the idea of the lad starting the big games but the prospect is now much more promising than just a week ago.

Team South East wrote:
This guy is growing on me. Ever since the Liverpool game I have been thinking, yes, this is the real deal. He is going to be an exceptional full back as he gets older. England will be really disappointed they did not tie him down any earlier. Fantastic work from our scouts yet again. I just love his attitude, no nonsense and gives 100%. Good lad!

Jenkinson has not yet represented a country in the senior level and is thus free to choose between Finland and England. He is only counted as a finn now because the last time he represented a youth side was with Finland. He got a call up to the finnish national team during the last internationals but he declined citing both concentrating in his Arsenal career and weighing his options on the international side as reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:01 pm 

I think he'll do just fine. Yes he is caught out now and again but so was Clichy and he has been playing in the top flight for years. I like him , he's strong , not as slow as some are making out and he works his tail off. I'm not looking for flashy full backs , a couple of Sagnas will do me just fine and I think that in a year or two he will be just as solid. Feeling optimistic today , can you tell ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:07 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

Just watched the Udinese highlights again and I wasn't very impressed with Jenkinson at all.

There were numerous occasions where he lost his man from crosses into the box and some of his clearances were pretty shit. When he gets forward he doesnt have the ability to play a decent one two and often just passes it and doesnt move.

Obviously still very young and has potential but I would rather he was 4 choice than 2nd at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:14 pm 

I'm with JK. I wonder what the underlying motive everyone seems to have when praising Jenkinson so much. He simply hasn't done THAT much to warrant so much praise. Sure, he's not been a calamity, but isn't that the least we'd expect from a player so high up the depth chart? I don't mind playing youth and I agree young players need to play, but we're throwing in a lot of these lads in at the deep end at a very early stage. He hasn't been horrible, yet, but when (not if) one of his rookie mistakes cost us, what will our tune be then? Growing pains? I'm tired of that one, myself.

One for the future, probably, but I think he'll end up playing far too many games for us this season out of pure necessity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:23 pm 

I thought him and Miguel looked incredibly nervy in the Liverpool game and were rightly targeted.

Jenkinson did well last night against Udinese but whilst I am happy for him to play 10-15 games this season as needed, relying on him for the whole season is going to be really hard. And we will have to rely on him as he is second choice right back, and possibly left back too, especially given Gibbs' injury woes.

He's helped by Vermaelen playing so well so far as well, I doubt the leadership would be there at the back for Arsenal if Vermaelen was injured, and I think we would see a drop then from Jenkinson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:11 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

So, after that shambles yesterday, does anyone still think he has any place in this squad?

Did the scouts just pick this guy on the random chance he might be able to kick a ball?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:21 pm 

-Jk- wrote:
So, after that shambles yesterday, does anyone still think he has any place in this squad?

Did the scouts just pick this guy on the random chance he might be able to kick a ball?

Yes definitely. We were dog shit defending as a unit JK. Can't single out Jenkinson when our more experienced players were no better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:07 pm 
Acclaimed member

Team South East wrote:
-Jk- wrote:

Yes definitely. We were dog shit defending as a unit JK. Can't single out Jenkinson when our more experienced players were no better.

But TSE, Jenkinson got the basics of the game wrong, I mean things you just don't do as a defender. His positioning is dreadful, he's not intelligent, very clumsy, predictable going forward. The worst part was he wasn't willing to listen to more experienced team mates. You know a defender is awful when Walcott is telling him how to defend. I can't understand how he's meant to be a replacement for the more experienced Eboue. He may come good in a year or two but we cannot afford to give him games to develop, he needs a loan out somewhere before he can be considered back-up for Sagna.