It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sanchez / Ozil Contract Situation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:30 am 
Acclaimed member

So reports this morning in the rags that Arsenal and Ozil may have reached a stalemate in the contract situation where basically Arsenal won't pay what Ozil wants.

And yesterday there were reports that China were offering Sanchez up to 400k a week to move there and we were at a similar stalemate with him.

I think the odds of both leaving in the summer are getting shorter with each passing week. It would be a monumental blow to lose both, not just commercially but all around the club and again sends out that message that we can not compete with the top level clubs and essentially are a selling club.

And it would make me sick to think that next season Ozil and Sanchez could be in a Man City or Chelsea shirt.

Post subject: Re: Sanchez / Ozil Contract Situation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:01 pm 
Acclaimed member

The agents will try to drag this out somewhat to get as good a deal as they can for their clients and the players probably want to know who is going to be manager next season. Will it be Wenger, a superstar manager or someone they would rather not be under and so will want a transfer out quickly? For that last reason, I'm not expecting any deal till they know our future direction.

If one of our players goes to China then the backash will be against the player rather then us, goes to a big European club and it will send a bad signal about the club, the manager and our ambitions to the other clubs, our players, fans and players we want to buy. So it is concerning even leaving aside the quality of the two players but like I said, I doubt they will sign anything till they know who is in charge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:27 am 

The good thing about the pair of them is that they've already played for the biggest clubs (Barca/Madrid). They are kings here and adored. It looks like they both enjoy living in London too, especially Ozil.

I think Ozil is most likely to stay because of the above. There's only a select few clubs I think he'd consider (Madrid because of Zidane, and Bayern). Do either of those teams even need him? He's spoken about going back to Germany one day, but I see it as his final move when he's ending his career back at Schalke/Bremen.

I'm confident a winner like Sanchez wouldn't even consider a China move. He's played in Spain already and won there. The only destinations I can see attracting him would be City or perhaps somewhere like Juventus. I suppose Bayern is an option too. I can see Sanchez going in all honesty :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 am 
Acclaimed member

I can't see either going to China. I can see though Sanchez moving back to italy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:38 pm 
Acclaimed member

Tubzinho wrote:
I can't see either going to China. I can see though Sanchez moving back to italy.

How many Serie A sides can afford his wages when MLS has more six figure wage players then Italy?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:58 pm 
Acclaimed member

Magic Hat wrote:
How many Serie A sides can afford his wages when MLS has more six figure wage players then Italy?

Not many at the moment, Juventus probably only. However with the foreign investment at Inter and proposed Chinese investment in AC Milan, that may be about to change.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:03 pm 

The most likely scenario in my view is both Sanchez and Özil either going to Bayern in the summer, or seeing out their contract and ending up at City or Chelsea. I think neither will stay. :(

The main reason will be that we don't know who Wenger's successor will be.

I so hope I'm wrong. :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:33 pm 
Acclaimed member

I'm quite positive about the situation in all honesty.

Both players are playing extremely well this season as is the whole team so naturally the agents are doing their level best to ensure their clients get the best deal, and aside from the real big boys out there I'd say there are few clubs that can now match us financially....and one of those are suspended from buying players. The premier league is awash with money, we are cash rich, I don't forsee any issues in that respect.

The other side of the coin of course is the actual footballing side of things but again I'm not panicked in this respect either. Although it was HUGELY flattering to us we finished runners up last year and in the last few years we've won a couple of cups. This season we have performed very well and consistently, we've bolstered the team with some adept signings and generally the signs are all pointing towards an upturn. And both Ozil and Sanchez, importantly, look like they're enjoying their football in this team so why change that? Of course you'll always get that Chinese team or whoever throw trucks of gold at them, and any person on the planet would obviously listen to what was on offer, but I really do think that both will commit to Arsenal in the end. The caveat here being that the club are willing to do what's necessary to keep them, and seen as how we're no longer a side who HAS to sell their best players I can't see why we wouldn't do that.

For now at least this just seems like lots of agent noise and not much else.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:06 pm 

If they don't sign by the end of the season I see them both leaving for new clubs next year. Regardless of what Wenger said no way would they be allowed to run down their contracts. So you don't wanna pay them £200k+ a week but you'd be happy for them to walk away on a free transfer?!?

That would end up costing Arsenal at least £120mil in transfer fees.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:26 pm 

DUSTCORE wrote:
That would end up costing Arsenal at least £120mil in transfer fees.

Yep, and that's still conservative.

The whole situation is either going to turn out either absolutely wonderful or horrendous.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:58 am 
Acclaimed member

Given everything can anyone see Sanchez staying at the club beyond this season? By all accounts there was another outburst after the Bayern game and they have been more frequent this season. Is a new manager at the end of the season and a promise of change the only way we are going to keep him? Because I can not see him staying at Arsenal with Wenger as manager. And that's not because they hate each other, more Sanchez's ambition outweighs that of the club.

Personally I'm ambivalent. My opinion of him is that he is a superb player and a player that can lead from the front. However he is also a temperamental little shit and someone who won't look inwards when he is not playing well.

I think I am more concerned about the negativity that his sale will cause more than actually losing him. Again it will be a case that Arsenal can not keep their top players, which we can't. I am not saying we are a selling club because we are not, however we have a serious problem not being able to keep our best players. We have two world class players at the club in the public eye, the first time we have had that since we lost Van Persie and yet again we are at the same position that we were with with Van Persie where we stand to lose them for sporting reasons. Lesson's have not been learnt. The board will say "well we tied down Walcott and Ramsey down etc" but they are not major players in our team. Possibly only Koscielny is the only one that we have tied down but then with him I think he seems very happy here and happy to stay.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:42 pm 

Tubzinho wrote:
Given everything can anyone see Sanchez staying at the club beyond this season?

I cannot see him staying, no.

And I am very concerned about losing him. Him leaving will cause negativity, but it will also be a serious loss in quality for the squad, despite Sanchez being temperamental.

I think it's no coincidence that both Özil and Sanchez have been temperamental lately, looking either over- or under motivated. They are frustrated with how things are going, and you can tell that they are frustrated because they are constantly in the spotlight because we heavily rely on them. If we had a squad where they wouldn't be the absolutely decisive star players, Özil and Sanchez would have less weight on their shoulders and we could even afford to bench them after their outbursts.

I have the feeling that both Özil and Sanchez have been promised different things when they came here. While they - especially Özil - seem happy working under Wenger, they would prefer a team where there isn't such a huge gap in quality between them and their team mates.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 pm 

Jules wrote:
Tubzinho wrote:

And I am very concerned about losing him. Him leaving will cause negativity, but it will also be a serious loss in quality for the squad, despite Sanchez being temperamental.

I think it's no coincidence that both Özil and Sanchez have been temperamental lately, looking either over- or under motivated. They are frustrated with how things are going, and you can tell that they are frustrated because they are constantly in the spotlight because we heavily rely on them. If we had a squad where they wouldn't be the absolutely decisive star players, Özil and Sanchez would have less weight on their shoulders and we could even afford to bench them after their outbursts.

I have the feeling that both Özil and Sanchez have been promised different things when they came here. While they - especially Özil - seem happy working under Wenger, they would prefer a team where there isn't such a huge gap in quality between them and their team mates.

I don't buy all this Jules, didn't Sanchez leave Barcelona because he wasn't the main man, ditto Ozil constantly getting subbed at Real.

...and when they are playing as in their current form there isn't a huge gap between their team mates, in fact there is no gap at all, they are worse.

I have no doubt any delays are all about money even if they come out and say differently.

This team finished 2nd last year not mid table... maybe the pair of them should be dragging the rest of their mates up to finish first, as D.Costa has been, ditto Messi for years, Ronaldo, Aguero etc... making the difference not hiding when it's crunch time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:38 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
block132 wrote:
Jules wrote:
Tubzinho wrote:

I don't buy all this Jules, didn't Sanchez leave Barcelona because he wasn't the main man, ditto Ozil constantly getting subbed at Real.

...and when they are playing as in their current form there isn't a huge gap between their team mates, in fact there is no gap at all, they are worse.

I have no doubt any delays are all about money even if they come out and say differently.

This team finished 2nd last year not mid table... maybe the pair of them should be dragging the rest of their mates up to finish first, as D.Costa has been, ditto Messi for years, Ronaldo, Aguero etc... making the difference not hiding when it's crunch time.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:33 pm 

block132 wrote:

I think there's a middle ground between being subbed quite often and being one of the two pillars that are expected to hold everything together.

It's too easy to expect them to carry the team week in, week out, just because they may have wanted to play a more important role when they left their last clubs. I cannot imagine Wenger promising them "You are going to be our two main men, the course of our season will lie in your hands." Isn't it more likely that they were promised a more competitive team in which they are key players, but not the only two world class players? We have never built this competitive team.

As for the players you mention that dragged their teams: apart from the fact that two of them are the best players of their generation, your examples prove my point. All of them had a better team to fall back on, and to push them. Do you really think Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, ... - you name them - would play for Barcelona, Madrid, or even City and Chelsea?