It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sanchez / Ozil Contract Situation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:50 pm 
Acclaimed member

I don't think anyone should blame Wenger/Gazadis/Whoever for Ozil and Sanchez not signing a contract already. They can't force them to sign a contract. I don't blame the players for not signing one either, I wouldn't if I was them at this point in their careers.

I don't know them and have no window into their souls so I'm not going to say "they aren't signing becuase of this particularly reason" but there are a fair few reasons why they might be delaying. This is likely their last big contract before their peak and their last chance to make a big move, one would expect this to cause them to have a think about what they want. Possible reasons beyond that

1) Why sign for a club who might, for all they know, have the dream team of myself and John Carver as manager next season. :wink: Committing their key years to a club where they have no idea who will be manager next year does not seem intelligent. It could be Wenger, it could be a manager that they would love to stay and work with, it could be a David Moyes at which point they may want to take chance to flee.

2) Money. I don't mean they will sell their careers to the highest paid bidder, though always a possibility, but they have got to this point and can hope to extract some extra pay from us or a new club.

3) Ambition. I would be rather surprised if Arsenal are where they expected us to be at this point when they joined. Ozil and Sanchez have both taken us up a small level (we have closed gap a tad on leaders though not been competitive and won cups which we weren't before) but we have not been putting in league challenges. If they feel that Wenger or the board are at fault, if they feel the team isn't good enough and won't be improved by those in charge, clubs that seem better suited to winning titles and CL runs are going to be tempting.

It might be a mixture of all that and more (family and so on). Would we miss them if they go? Of course. Ozil gone might see us with three men in midfield in big games but has been topping lists of chances so often, we will have to find way of making up for that. It is unlikely to come with defensive rigour that means we need to score less. Sanchez strops and on pitch greed can be frustrating but he helps provide energy, the out-ball when team freeze and a lot of quality to the team. Let alone the bad image of us selling our two big name players and key attackers.

I don't blame them for our failure to win league titles or close gap a lot more, a player can make the difference in a title challenge team but if the team as a whole (whether player quality or mismanaged) isn't strong enough to get near then they aren't going to be able to overcome the gap against well managed, strong teams.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:14 pm 
Acclaimed member

So was Alexis dropped today? Wenger goes with he wanted better aerial players but is it because there was some truth in the rumour that Sanchez told him he wants out this week? Or is it because he is saving him for Bayern midweek as Wenger does think Arsenal can beat Bayern and this is essentially Wenger's biggest moment that will define if he stays at Arsenal for another year or two or not?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:46 am 

Rows with the squad and the manager, bad attitude, made it clear he wants to go, sulking, behaving like a spoilt child, turning down £180,000 a week.

So now we are getting above rumours on maybe why he was dropped. There was always going to be behind the scenes reasons. Whether he is justified in behaving in this way is debatable but you can't have one player getting away with this sort of thing if it's true. Emphasis on the if it's true part !

As for turning around the Bayern result as a reason you can forget that, never a chance in hell of that happening even if we had a fully fit squad that were all getting on together.

Let's hope we get a nice fee for Sanchez from PSG or Juve to re-invest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:18 pm 

Yeah, agree with all of what you've said, block132. No player should get away with petulant behavior, if that is indeed what happened.

(I don't think starting Sanchez would have had such a great impact on the final result anyway, but that's for another thread.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 pm 

Jules wrote:
Yeah, agree with all of what you've said, block132. No player should get away with petulant behavior, if that is indeed what happened.

(I don't think starting Sanchez would have had such a great impact on the final result anyway, but that's for another thread.)

My worry now Jules is whether the Ozil "illness" is true too, has he become jaded with life at the club that he and Sanchez are in some sort of cahoots because if that is the case that ends up transpiring we need to get rid pronto!

Something doesn't add up, hasn't Ozil also released a book this week but hasn't played a game for weeks because he hasn't been well or ill yet is still ok to be paraded in the papers with shots of him with his book.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:39 pm 

Jules wrote:

Yeah I agree, I feared the worst before the game had even started... I knew they would be up for it and we, as per usual wouldn't be but that's for another thread as you say, I haven't commented on that one because I didn't get to see any of the game (thankfully).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 pm 

swanny200 wrote:
Jules wrote:

My worry now Jules is whether the Ozil "illness" is true too, has he become jaded with life at the club that he and Sanchez are in some sort of cahoots because if that is the case that ends up transpiring we need to get rid pronto!

Something doesn't add up, hasn't Ozil also released a book this week but hasn't played a game for weeks because he hasn't been well or ill yet is still ok to be paraded in the papers with shots of him with his book.

My first reaction is to get rid of both and buy players who desperately want to play for us but then who exactly would that be? no-one that I can think of... It's all about the money now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:33 am 

block132 wrote:
Rows with the squad and the manager, bad attitude, made it clear he wants to go, sulking, behaving like a spoilt child, turning down £180,000 a week.

So now we are getting above rumours on maybe why he was dropped. There was always going to be behind the scenes reasons. Whether he is justified in behaving in this way is debatable but you can't have one player getting away with this sort of thing if it's true. Emphasis on the if it's true part !

As for turning around the Bayern result as a reason you can forget that, never a chance in hell of that happening even if we had a fully fit squad that were all getting on together.

Have you not considered Block, that him being pissed off is not necessarily about the money. If you were working your bollocks off week in week out, carrying people whose body language suggests they don't give a shit and who are of much lesser quality, wouldn't you be pissed off too and want to have a go at the rest of them. Any decent manager would be having a go at the squad and kicking their arses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 am 

manuhater wrote:
block132 wrote:

Have you not considered Block, that him being pissed off is not necessarily about the money. If you were working your bollocks off week in week out, carrying people whose body language suggests they don't give a shit and who are of much lesser quality, wouldn't you be pissed off too and want to have a go at the rest of them. Any decent manager would be having a go at the squad and kicking their arses.

Firstly, I detest anyone not giving 100% in every single game, that is the least I expect and I agree there seem to be some players not doing that.

Secondly, how do we know Arsene isn't "kicking their arses"? The problem would more likely be that he is but as they are all sitting pretty as millionaires and on lovely contracts they just don't give a shit.

Thirdly there is a way to call your team mates out rather than petulance, sulking on the pitch and then downing tools. I'd suggest in the dressing room.

They all need to be playing as they did last night up until the penalty for every single game. (bar Giroud who I thought was poor, but then I suspect the fact that he wasn't an intended starter last night and had to come in last minute was probably a factor, another throwing a strop?).

I would just ask them all what was different about last night for them to perform like that?

For me it's simple, everyone just needs to do their own job and do it at 100%, none of this waving around of arms etc...

For me this all started at Watford, can you imagine us having got beaten if they
had started like that against them? I can't. Why didn't they? Too easy to keep blaming the manager.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 pm 

I don't have a problem with players being dropped if their behaviour off the pitch demands it. What i would say is most world class players have that air of arrogance about them. Any manager who calls themselves top class has to know how to manage these personalities and keep unity among the squad. The problem is Sanchez is so far ahead of any other Arsenal player it puts him in a unique situation.
To some degree he will always come out looking like the good guy even when he's maybe not.
The fact is Arsenal rely heavily on Sanchez. Arsenal need Sanchez more than Sanchez needs us. Thats just a horrible current Fact !!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm 

DUSTCORE wrote:
I don't have a problem with players being dropped if their behaviour off the pitch demands it. What i would say is most world class players have that air of arrogance about them. Any manager who calls themselves top class has to know how to manage these personalities and keep unity among the squad. The problem is Sanchez is so far ahead of any other Arsenal player it puts him in a unique situation.
To some degree he will always come out looking like the good guy even when he's maybe not.
The fact is Arsenal rely heavily on Sanchez. Arsenal need Sanchez more than Sanchez needs us. Thats just a horrible current Fact !!

Agreed but maybe he should recall his time at Barca and the ridicule he suffered from the likes of Messi etc... and why he was so desperate to get away.

Having managed Henry, Bergkamp, Adams, Vieira, Pires, Campbell, etc... I think Wenger knows how to handle top class players.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:52 pm 

block132 wrote:
DUSTCORE wrote:

Agreed but maybe he should recall his time at Barca and the ridicule he suffered from the likes of Messi etc...

I hope so Block132

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:02 pm 

DUSTCORE wrote:
block132 wrote:
DUSTCORE wrote:

Agreed but maybe he should recall his time at Barca and the ridicule he suffered from the likes of Messi etc...

I hope so Block132

In truth I'm close to the point of caring less either way.

We have a board who are only in it for the money, ditto most if not all our players and then we have fans who have no idea of our history and think we were a title and European cup winning machine prior to Arsene. Then they think by removing the man who probably cares more about Arsenal than anyone else and who has actually led this club to titles and doubles we'll find a manager that will somehow do better. Good luck with that !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:27 pm 

On Sanchez,

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... al-problem

Not scapegoating him but interesting nonetheless.

Thought he played OK last night upto the pen/SO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:18 pm 

block132 wrote:
On Sanchez,

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... al-problem

Not scapegoating him but interesting nonetheless.

Thought he played OK last night upto the pen/SO.

I read that as well, quite interesting, that said it's the psychological affect (boost) it has on opponents when they see his name on the bench, because he does carry a degree of fear factor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next