It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sanchez / Ozil Contract Situation
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:17 pm 

I agree that it has to be affecting the club and other players, though it doesn’t seem evident on the pitch. Sure, you can blame whatever bad things you see on this stuff, but I don’t see clear evidence as with most want away situations.

Initially I was ok with keeping Sanchez and letting him go at the end of the season if he chose not to sign. That is until we panicked at the deadline and fucked up the whole Lemar/Sanchez to City thing. I also thought at the time we would sign Ozil and end one of the sagas. Now, though Ozil seems willing we seem reluctant.

A situation similar to either one of these could happen at any club. However, it is pure negligence to have two situations of this caliber at the same time here. Upper management has become a slow cancer killing the club. I have no hope of any clarity coming until February 1st arrives, and have the sinking feeling there will remain unresolved issues even then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 pm 

Its a real shame that we have 2 world class players that will start talking to other clubs in a matter of weeks. Yes upper mamagement has been a shambles - but i would call out Wenger as equally if not more culpable. He just signed a new contract knowing of this mess!

Ozil unfairly gets critisism - in the right team he is absolutely top class! But at our level with mediocre players in midfield this player is a bit of a luxury. We need players who work much harder off the ball and thats just not him.

Ill be sad to see Sanchez gone - he has carried the team single handedly on so many occassions he must be dying to get out. Such a professional - he still gives it his all - he will be massivsly missed.

Do I care that we didnt sell both of them in the summer and get some money? I wouldnt trust the club to reinvest the money wisely if we did - the board AND Wenger just want to line their pockets. Nothing is going to change until Wenger and Kroenke get out of our club.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:30 pm 

muckygooner wrote:
Its a real shame that we have 2 world class players that will start talking to other clubs in a matter of weeks. Yes upper mamagement has been a shambles - but i would call out Wenger as equally if not more culpable. He just signed a new contract knowing of this mess!

Ozil unfairly gets critisism - in the right team he is absolutely top class! But at our level with mediocre players in midfield this player is a bit of a luxury. We need players who work much harder off the ball and thats just not him.

Ill be sad to see Sanchez gone - he has carried the team single handedly on so many occassions he must be dying to get out. Such a professional - he still gives it his all - he will be massivsly missed.

Do I care that we didnt sell both of them in the summer and get some money? I wouldnt trust the club to reinvest the money wisely if we did - the board AND Wenger just want to line their pockets. Nothing is going to change until Wenger and Kroenke get out of our club.

It never struck me if this is why Wenger didn't sanction their sales.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am 

Nail on the head from arseblog today:

"As for Alexis Sanchez, whatever way you want to try and rationalise it to me, selling him to Manchester United would feel like a massive kick in the nuts. The sale of Robin van Persie there was somewhat understandable in 2012, before the financial situation improved and so on, but we were supposed to have gone beyond that.

We got three brilliant seasons out of him, but as we have done in the past, we’ve failed to capitalise properly on his talent, and that of Ozil too. I understand why people point fingers at players when they leave, and if they want to go that’s what they bring on themselves, but you cannot ignore the common thread that runs through so many of these situations.

Whether they develop into top class players from an early age, or whether we buy them as established stars, Arsenal have problems holding onto our most talented players. From Fabregas to van Persie, and now Sanchez, these players want to leave us. Not because they don’t like the club, not because it isn’t a nice life at Arsenal, but because their ambitions as players cannot be realised.

By all means talk about how they played their part in underachieving sides (or maybe sides which achieved about as much as they should), but when it happens again and again, you have to look beyond the individuals. It’s happening again, and it shows that we’re a club who simply do not learn our lessons. Or don’t care to learn them.

The Sanchez situation has been a hopeless mess. If Arsenal wanted to keep him, I had no issue with that, but be consistent. Tell him, ‘you’re staying’, end of story, and let him and his people work on a lovely Bosman move in June. Instead we fudged it, tried to panic sell him at the end of the summer, and since then we haven’t been in control of it at all, or seen to be in control of it.

You know, we could still keep him if we wanted, but we don’t. We’ve let a bad situation fester to the point where Arsenal think selling him to Manchester United and Jose Mourinho is an acceptable solution. It’s shambolic management to get to that point and if you want to look at dispassionately and say you don’t care where he goes, fine.

Personally, I think it’s the kind of mismanagement over which heads should roll. Wenger, Ivan Gazidis and Stan Kroenke are all culpable here. I cannot look at it outside the context of selling a brilliant player to a loathsome manager and a club who, already better and more competitive than we are, become even more so. In the meantime, we’ll panic buy and hope that a manager whose powers are on the wane somehow rediscovers some magic."
https://arseblog.com/2018/01/bournemout ... -required/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 pm 
Acclaimed member

Rumour mill says the Sanchez deal is dependent on a deal for Henrikh Mikhtaryan.

We sell them our best player and get a shit one in return. Great deal for all there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm 

Yeah Sky have been saying that all day. No fee involved, just a straight swap. We give them our best player to improve them and help them out by taking a cast off. You couldn't make it up, it's like (if true) giving your enemy your Ferrari and exchanging it for his Vectra.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 pm 
Acclaimed member

The laughable thing is that we stipulated clearly he would remain at the club and then tried to bum him out on the last day of the window. And now that we've kept him, we are reduced to potentially swapping him out for a Man Utd reserve rather than letting him see out his contract and at least try and make a fist of the remainder of the season - which would be the entire point of keeping him into the final year anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 pm 
Acclaimed member

I wish we just put our foot down, said 'you're staying', and then stuck to it. I realise this may never have been an option for the club, and the best we could do was pretend we're putting our foot down as a bargaining move. But we've never really been very good at that kind of game, have we?

Even if the most palatable of the scenarios comes to pass (35m + player, just 35m, etc), which I doubt, that would mean we lost 25m for six months of a not-quite-there Alexis, and the very fact that we're selling him shows that we can ill afford that kind of monetary loss.

It's ironic how Wenger is always criticised for not spending enough and caring too much about the bottom line, because I'm not sure how all this is going to end up looking not-awful for the bottom line, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:52 pm 

That's one gone. In the end, the contract situation for Sanchez was either resolved with a like for like or ended up being a costly mistake and/or gamble depending on your point of view.

Meanwhile, City tie up De Bruyne on a long term deal nice and early.