It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:35 pm 
Acclaimed member

LoneGunner wrote:
If we stick to the 3421, we have a really strong base to work from.

Forwarding this over from the Match thread.

Aside from the significant lack of knowledge who will be managing Arsenal next season and contracts permitting; we know our place, our competition, our situation. So what do we do over the summer to get the squad fighting-fit for the 2017-18 campaign?

Who stays, who goes, how would you like to see it shaped? It is something tangible to discuss amidst the next two months of likely nonsense.

Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:07 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Tough one this. We have a very good foundation to work from with this 3-4-2-1 formation. I can see Santi Cazorla (sadly) playing a 'lesser role' based on his chronic injury, similar to the role Rosicky played in his final years at the club. We may go for a younger playmaker who is similar to his style. I can see Gibbs and Monreal leaving, with the former going to Newcastle and the latter going back to spain. I can see a new LWB coming in (Kolasinac) and maybe Cohen Bramall making the step up as his understudy. I can also see Koscielny's role in the team winding down and us possibly going for another CB or promoting Calum Chambers. I can definitely see us going for a forward with Giroud leaving (possibly heading to Marseille.). I have no idea which forward we would sign though as there aren't that many decent forwards available on the market. Benzema? Lacazette? Bellotti? Morata? Werner?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:31 am 

According to Lyon, Lacazette has already done a pre contract with Atletico, means Griezmann is probably away then, no chance of getting him.

Shame we couldn't have snapped up Lukaku, on his day he is an absolute beast, with good service could turn on his day to every day!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:30 am 
Acclaimed member

swanny200 wrote:
Shame we couldn't have snapped up Lukaku, on his day he is an absolute beast, with good service could turn on his day to every day!

Wouldn't he just be another hugely talented yet inconsistent and expensive player? We have a collection of those at this club already, do we need another?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:44 am 

Goalkeepers:

Ospina to leave to get first team games. A shame as I always thought he was decent if not world class. A good pro as well, didn't moan about his chances when he would surely have been expecting to play more.

Martinez to be number 2 next season.

Sczeny to leave. A great season under his belt at Roma, but still can't see Wenger trusting him and wont be a number 2.

Promote a youth to third choice.

Defenders:

Gibbs will leave and as suggested above, expect Bramall to step up as a squad player.

Debuchy and Jenkinson both to leave, frees up space and for Dubuchy, some high wages.

Kolanisic or however you spell it to come in.

Chambers I expect to be a suqad member as he has done ok at Boro and seems like he would suit a back three more.

Can't see any other changes in defence.

Midfield

Too much press about Ox from his agent (?) so would suggest he wants out. How much is his fault and how much is Wenger's is a seperate debate, but he hasn't pushed on and I wont be that sad to see him go. He isn't a great wing back just because he runs a lot, and I don't think that's a long term position for him despite what some Arsenal fans suggest.

Ozil will likely stay as there are no other suitors for him that you can see in Europe. Wont be wanted in Spain by Barca or Real Madrid, Bayern is a tenuous possibility, and then it's only PSG or Premiership clubs who can afford him.

Expect one centre midfielder to come in, someone with more energy and a proper box to box player.

Midfield is a mess but I don't see anyone else wanting to leave as such.

Hopefully Crowley or Zemalen can try and get a few games, but doubt they will.

Forwards
Depends entirely on purchases, and would expect us to go big on a forward this summer.

Sanchez certain to leave.

Giroud I can see leaving if we got a sizeable offer.

Welbeck definately staying as versatile and Wenger likes that.

Akpom maybe out on loan again, same as Asano.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:47 am 

Forgot Perez, seems like Wenger isn't alone there.

He will leave and I can't help but feel he would have been a good option a lot more, even leading the line. His contribution when he has played has largely been excellent.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:38 pm 
Acclaimed member

My core would be:

Cech
Szczesny
Martinez

Oxlade-Chamberlain
Bellerin

Mustafi
Holding
Chambers
Koscielny

Monreal
Kolasinac

Ramsey
Xhaka

Sanchez
Ozil
Iwobi

Giroud/Welbeck

Queries
Mertesacker
Coquelin
Elneny
Cazorla
Wilshere

Out
Ospina
Debuchy
Jenkinson
Gabriel
Gibbs
Campbell
Walcott/Perez

Those players would represent my core for next season.

In sticks, I don't think we will sell Szczesny. I think it is a safe bet that the last two years have been about getting him to a point where he is a viable 1st team GK. The chaps on the European Football Show rate him the top GK in Serie A this season, even over Buffon, and with Cech approaching what should be his last year at Arsenal, I think the succession-planning takes hold - with the signs being that Ospina will leave. I am working on the assumption that both he and Cech will start pre-season with a 50/50 chance of the no.1 jersey.

In defence, Oxlade-Chamberlain would have to have rocks in his head to leave now. Seven years of generally pissing me off, yet leaves at a time when he has a defined position that actually suits his style of play and where he could make himself a no.1 if he performs. That would be a retrograde move imo, unless some top club happen to want him and are willing to offer him big £££. The two left wingbacks pick themselves, with Monreal covering the backline and offering a nice balance - our Azpilicueta if you will.

If you offered me a quality centreback I wouldn't say no, but I think it more likely Chambers is thrown a bone and comes back into a squad that will arguably start as Mustafi-Koscielny-Monreal, but with plenty of scope for both he and Holding to play a lot of games. I also wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Mertesacker remain, due to the demands of the system and Kosicleny's mounting injuries.

Two of the deep midfield pick themselves; 3421 gives Ramsey lungs and it also noticeably allows Xhaka to focus on what he's good at and to alleviate some of what he's not. After that is anyone's guess. Coquelin, Elneny, Cazorla and Wilshere are all queries for me. I would expect Cazorla in the squad, but there has to be reasonable doubt that this formation allows him the leverage to play regularly and whether he will indeed be capable of it. We ideally need another strong option to compete with the Xhaka-Ramsey axis and that player is represented by neither Coquelin nor Elneny in this style.

Two marquee players (possibly) in the deep-attack makes it difficult for anyone else to get a look-in. I'd certainly want/expect to see Iwobi at the club, as he has the game to fit in nicely as an option here. Possibly Wilshere may even be able to reclaim a jersey as a flexible player between the positions (ie Fabregas at Chelsea), but I just don't know what the intentions are here. Clearly Wenger doesn't see Walcott playing in this style, unlikely Perez, yet I do feel he would most likely want to keep hold of an extra player who could feature in his 4231 wide areas if needed to switch the play up - in addition to Welbeck/Iwobi.

The lone forward remains a bone of contention. I would still love us to acquire someone who is simply 'our regular' in the position, a proper frontman who we know will play, will score, will be on the pitch when it matters. Rotating Giroud and Welbeck doesn't work for me here, although it does for Wenger.

Certainly not all of the above will leave, it may even be unlikely we regularly use the 3421. However, that's where I'd realistically want to see it going into pre-season. A core of 17 players, with a couple of places up for grabs. Deeper midfield player, striker, arguably a centreback also needed. Basically the same 'spine' players that we've wanted for a few seasons, albeit in a different mould.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:58 pm 

We've taken up the option for Mertesakar next year, so don't see him leaving at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:51 pm 

Basically agree with LG’s assessments, only real difference is that I think Gabriel has improved and stays.

Cech
Szczesny - only 1 year left on his contract and needs to be renewed immediately. I don’t know why we let it run down so far as he has clearly improved and matured, is a lifelong supporter of the club and homegrown besides. It would be quite stupid to sell him and then try to replace when we will have so much else to worry about this summer.
Martinez

Oxlade-Chamberlain - only 1 year left on his contract, qualifies as home grown, or at least homegrown in the league. Hitting what should be the better part of his career and should be resigned. I would be open to an upgrade, but it unnecessarily adds to the moving parts if we do.
Bellerin

Mustafi
Holding
Chambers
Koscielny

Monreal
Kolasinac - kind of excited to see how this guy will do.

Ramsey
Xhaka

Sanchez
Ozil
Iwobi

Giroud
Welbeck

Queries
Mertesacker
Coquelin
Elneny
Cazorla
Wilshere - not so sure he is the silver bullet some think he is. Again homegrown, but in the last year of contract and though finally rather healthy for a season I would still consider him an injury concern. Does he even want to resign? Another potential moving part.

Out
Ospina
Debuchy
Jenkinson
Gabriel - I think Gabriel has improved greatly this season and will stay. We will need the bodies if we are staying with a back three.
Gibbs
Campbell - still think it is unfair he will be going and the new formation would have been good for him.
Walcott
Perez

Additional Out
Akpom
Sanogo

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:53 am 

Fair points Jase.

Personally, I would love to have a clear out, which I know wont happen.

Ospina
Debuchy
Gibbs
Jenkinson
Ox
Coquelin
Sanogo
Walcott
Campbell
Akpom
Wilshere

Walcott isn't getting much of a mention on here, or in the press, probably as he isn't a pressing concern due to his contract having a few more years.

But his stock has definately fallen in the last few months and Wenger doesn't seem to trust him in the 3-5-2 as he has no set position. Unless we switch back to 4-3-3 then I can't see him getting a look in for an extended run. This, and the fact he is in the twilight of his career, plus out of the England squad, would lead me to think we would take an offer if one arrived for him.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:28 am 
Acclaimed member

The problem is the formation. Are we sticking with this 3-4-3? Is Wenger fully confident with it if he stays? And is he going to do what he always does and pick one formation and stick with it for the foreseeable future?

Should we be discarding players and stick with one system? Walcott for example has no role in this 3-4-3 system as far as I am concerned but if we play 4-3-3 then he does have a role. I am all for keeping players who may not fit into the 3-4-3 but having them would mean we could change formation to a 4-3-3 for example if necessary. It is a squad game after all and you need different options in that squad. But there is no point in keeping players for the sake of it either and if Wenger is convinced that 3-4-3 is the future and is going to do what he normally does i.e. have one formation and stick with it forever then that may make certain players redundant.

That said, Ospina, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Sanogo and probably Campbell are all done if Wenger remains as manager and should leave for the sake of their careers. Its a shame in Campbell's case because I think he can offer a different option and also a shame in Debuchy's case because injury robbed us of a good player. But that is football.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:59 pm 
Acclaimed member

So, Wenger is staying. And I'm pretty sure we'll continue the 3-4-3. That gives us a little more to work with.

Personally, I'm fairly close to Wenger's comment that we need 'one or two' quality players if we keep the team. There have been seasons past where we needed more than that, but honestly, I think unless we somehow buy five Lewandowskis, it's less about buying numbers than actually getting the best out of the team. Wenger's failure this past season wasn't a failure to buy, it was a failure to use the player he has. And honestly, I'm more afraid that Arsenal cannot attract/afford a great signing, rather than being afraid that we won't buy enough players.

GK: I haven't watched Szcz at Roma myself, but am hearing that he's done enough to have another look in. I would like to see him and Cech compete on equal footing.

DF: The question marks over Koscielny's injury aside, I don't have huge concerns about our defence (for once!). Bellerin will get back to his normal levels, Monreal has continued to be excellent, and I believe Gabriel and Holding have shown they can be good in the 3-4-3. I'm happy with what we have.

WB: Ox, Bellerin, and presumably Kolasinac comes in here. It's a weird slot, though. Ox will flourish here, but his defensive abilities will be called into question in games where we really have to defend well. If Kolasinac can fit in like a glove to the left side, we probably have a good distribution of quality and styles to make it work.

MF: Perhaps Ramsey-Xhaka in 3-4-3 has finally allowed us to replace Santi Cazorla. But we're still carrying a CM lineup that involves two injury-debilitated players (Santi, Wilshere), one player who covers a specific, limited function (Coq), and one player who is fast becoming the next Park Chu-Young (Elneny). I can't see what kind of player we would bring in, since the formation change has decreased the need for an outright destroyer or Santi lookalike. But I do think we would benefit from a strong addition here, even a younger player, someone who's brought in to give us tactical flexibility and cohesion. Wenger shouldn't make the mistake he's made too often in recent times, of stumbling on a good combination then hoping it holds for all 60 games of a season.

OF: If we keep Alexis and Ozil, we have a really good lineup here - one which can potentially work with Giroud or Welbeck. However, I think an attacker is still our #1 priority. I've always defended Giroud, but he is getting older and I think our tactics and play have increasingly evolved away from his strengths. Welbeck had a great FA Cup Final, but I've never been convinced in his entire Arsenal career that he has an eye for goal. You can only go so far with a guy who plays well but avoids scoring like a Gervinho Mach II. If Wenger hadn't screwed up Lucas Perez so much, we might be OK here, but as it is, surely the answer is to look for a marquee attacker signing, a first team player, a goalscorer and a winner. Maybe that means letting Giroud go if he wants gametime, and/or bringing in a wide forward and pushing Alexis up front. But I think the bulk of our money and attention must go to bringing someone in here. (I haven't even mentioned Walcott: he's actually scored a lot of goals this season, but I think the formation really means the end of him.)

In short:
>The end of Gibbs and Walcott
>Reduced importance for Cazorla, Wilshere, Giroud, Coquelin
>If we keep Alexis/Ozil, we just need a great attacking signing and a solid CM
>If we lose Alexis and/or Ozil, equation changes a lot, i.e. all hands on the transfer deck

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:31 pm 
Acclaimed member

arcaliea wrote:
CM - I can't see what kind of player we would bring in, since the formation change has decreased the need for an outright destroyer or Santi lookalike. But I do think we would benefit from a strong addition here, even a younger player, someone who's brought in to give us tactical flexibility and cohesion. Wenger shouldn't make the mistake he's made too often in recent times, of stumbling on a good combination then hoping it holds for all 60 games of a season.

I've mentioned Naby Keita as a player that I think strikes a good balance between being able to play football, potentially link the two midfield strata, yet also offer enough on the other side of the game to impact.

The other player that has been piquing my interest is Lazio's Sergej Milinkovic Savic. I've watched a decent amount of Serie A this year as it has been such an interesting, entertaining league. He is a curious mix. Very good technically and his size makes him a big threat aerially in the opposition box. Usually plays a little higher up the pitch, but has the type of skillset to encompass a range of roles, whilst in possession he also somewhat mimics Xhaka's creativity. Not quick, but his size and strength makes him a force.

Those would be my two preferred options at the moment to really impact on the squad quality. If we weren't averse to signing experienced quality I'd also mention my usual Radja Nainggolan, but he'll be 30 by the start of the season, likely still pricy (even if Roma could be dealt with) and we missed the boat a couple of years ago here.

I think we have to look at a multi-purpose player who can do either of the two deeper roles comfortably and ensure we remain competent within all reasonable situations. A trio of quality also really frees up the manager to do what he likes with a fourth player; a relatively young player, a content squaddie like Elneny/Coquelin, or a player who can move between various positions and offer versatility. There are a number of options.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am 
Acclaimed member

How do we replace Sanchez and Ozil? It's a question we don't want to ask but we have to if they won't sign new deals.

Do we look at a central midfielder and move Ramsey forward into that space where he plays for Wales? Cazorla can play in that position but is injured, Iwobi can play in that position. Can Wilshere? Could Joel Campbell play there? Surely we need another in there? There are a lot of goals and assists being removed by Sanchez and Ozil so they need to come from somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:02 am 
Trialist

Tubzinho wrote:
How do we replace Sanchez and Ozil? .

Ozil ==> Mahrez

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next