It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:18 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 am
Posts: 763
Location: UK
Take Iwobi out of competent and that leaves 4. Shame to lose Giroud as he would have been a really good 3rd choice striker, e.g. squad depth. Akpom has gone on loan and St Etienne have confirmed the signing of Debuchy, so there's been quite the shift in the squad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:06 am
Posts: 724
Location: Holland
arcaliea wrote:
I cannot imagine Lacazette becoming a permanent benchwarmer. If we take a minute to take stock, we've actually lost Walcott, Giroud, Ox, Alexis, Coquelin, and Cazorla has been delayed further as well. We actually don't have a huge amount of bodies in the team!

Aubameyang, Lacazette, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Iwobi: we only have 5 competent players for the forward 3 positions.

And then, even in CM, we have Ramsey, Wilshere, Xhaka, Elneny - 4 players for 2 positions, and one of them I would struggle to label 'competent' at the moment.

In any case, Aubameyang is EL-tied. I've been relatively impressed by Lacazette until the last few weeks, and we'll need him to bring his qualities out in this team-under-transition if we're going to have a sniff at CL, whether by league or cup.


You are missing Welbeck and maybe even Nelson for the front three and I think Wenger will use Maitland more often in midfield and still having Cazorla in his mind for next season. And maybe Willock will get more game time, but I agree that we need in midfield one more body in. Should be a powerful defensive midfielder.
Also thinking that we need to have real winger like Chamberlain, Walcott with space and who can dribble. We have to many 'passing' wingers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm
Posts: 2568
--------- PEA

Miki ---- Ozil ---- Lacazette

-- Wilshere - Ramsey

Totally imbalanced but I love it. Desperately need some discipline from Wilshere and Ramsey but looks great on paper. Shame behind that we're looking at Welbeck and Iwobi, followed by Eleny and Xhaka.

Once again Wenger's heart being detrimental to the side in allowing Giroud leave, normally its his persistence with players. Gutted as I loved Giroud, deserves to become a starting fixture somewhere and hopefully he gets that at Chelsea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 am 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 am
Posts: 6060
Location: AL Fantasy League: 564725-182113
gunners1986 wrote:
arcaliea wrote:
I cannot imagine Lacazette becoming a permanent benchwarmer. If we take a minute to take stock, we've actually lost Walcott, Giroud, Ox, Alexis, Coquelin, and Cazorla has been delayed further as well. We actually don't have a huge amount of bodies in the team!

Aubameyang, Lacazette, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Iwobi: we only have 5 competent players for the forward 3 positions.

And then, even in CM, we have Ramsey, Wilshere, Xhaka, Elneny - 4 players for 2 positions, and one of them I would struggle to label 'competent' at the moment.

In any case, Aubameyang is EL-tied. I've been relatively impressed by Lacazette until the last few weeks, and we'll need him to bring his qualities out in this team-under-transition if we're going to have a sniff at CL, whether by league or cup.


You are missing Welbeck and maybe even Nelson for the front three and I think Wenger will use Maitland more often in midfield and still having Cazorla in his mind for next season. And maybe Willock will get more game time, but I agree that we need in midfield one more body in. Should be a powerful defensive midfielder.
Also thinking that we need to have real winger like Chamberlain, Walcott with space and who can dribble. We have to many 'passing' wingers.


I'm not missing Welbeck, I said "competent". I can see the qualities he brings, but like Sanogo or the latter day Gervinho, he himself more than cancels out those qualities. Nelson is a promising prospect but is not a competent option; you do not plan anything about your campaign with Nelson or Nketiah, you let them surprise you.

It would be like saying, a few years ago, that we have a very nicely stocked midfield with Wilshere, Ramsey, Diaby et al. No, you don't count them at all until they've shown themselves to offer regular availability (hence Ramsey, and even Wilshere, are obviously in the mix this season).

It is the same at the back: Wenger is so unwilling to use Holding and Chambers that we go for Elneny in the half-back role, or Mertesacker, or Monreal CB and AMN LB, etc. Who knows what the reasons are, but in that case, you can't really count them as fully reliable, competent members of the squad this season. We're essentially playing with a pretty tight squad on all fronts, although on paper we should be having a fair bit more flexibility.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11208
In regards to the defence, at centre back it literally is Mustafi and Koscielny. I'm really surprised we haven't made more of an effort to reinforce.

Mertesacker is done. Monreal is a left back in a 4. Chambers and Holding I think are decent prospects but they desperately need to be coached and this is not something Wenger is good at, coaching defenders. Those two are making the same mistakes and not learning / unable to learn from them and it needs some proper training ground time spent with them so they do learn. I think both have potential and in the right hands both could become very good defenders. Otherwise Wenger should just sell them and buy experienced already coached centre backs because we will have another Senderos and Djourou on our hands if we continue to let Holding and Chambers fester.


Last edited by Tubzinho on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 am
Posts: 763
Location: UK
Failed with a late bid for Evans allegedly but with a net spend of less than £10 million this window and a profit in the last one, I'd like to think that's where money will be invested in the summer, not on Evans necessarily, but on the defensive bones of the spine we need to strengthen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11208
Emperor wrote:
Failed with a late bid for Evans allegedly but with a net spend of less than £10 million this window and a profit in the last one, I'd like to think that's where money will be invested in the summer, not on Evans necessarily, but on the defensive bones of the spine we need to strengthen.


We simply have to, we don't have the right balance of personnel in there even now. We have a number one who is decent but fair to say past his best and a number two who will leave the club if Arsenal receive the right offer but won't usurp Cech long term, which is what we should be looking at from our number two now. We have no right back cover for Bellerin (in fairness we haven't done for a while). Only two real options at centre back, one of which is the wrong side of 30, beginning to lose his pace and carrying injuries, the other ridiculously inconsistent at best and also a player who potentially may wish to move on in the summer like he did last year (not sure if that is all resolved now?). Two decent but young and error prone backups behind them who really need to be loaned out and play every week and Mertesacker, who can't move anymore and will retire in the summer. And then Monreal, who again is the wrong side of 30, and Kolasinac who Wenger seems to have a reluctance to play. There is Maitland Niles but he is not a full back and should see himself playing in midfield. I'm also not counting the young Greek lad we just signed.

So potentially we should be looking at a right back and a 24-27 year old centre back with the highest priority, a goalkeeper and potentially a left back if Wenger does not fancy Kolasinac.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 11574
Tubzinho wrote:
We simply have to, we don't have the right balance of personnel in there even now. We have a number one who is decent but fair to say past his best and a number two who will leave the club if Arsenal receive the right offer but won't usurp Cech long term, which is what we should be looking at from our number two now. We have no right back cover for Bellerin (in fairness we haven't done for a while). Only two real options at centre back, one of which is the wrong side of 30, beginning to lose his pace and carrying injuries, the other ridiculously inconsistent at best and also a player who potentially may wish to move on in the summer like he did last year (not sure if that is all resolved now?). Two decent but young and error prone backups behind them who really need to be loaned out and play every week and Mertesacker, who can't move anymore and will retire in the summer. And then Monreal, who again is the wrong side of 30, and Kolasinac who Wenger seems to have a reluctance to play. There is Maitland Niles but he is not a full back and should see himself playing in midfield. I'm also not counting the young Greek lad we just signed.

That's an excellent assessment of our situation at the back of the pitch. We might have exciting options up front, but there are several gaping holes from midfield to goalkeeper. More evidence that our transfers in recent years have been led by coincidence and opportunities popping up, rather than strategic, long-term planning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:18 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm
Posts: 2568
Right now if we're to win the league we need;

A new number 1 - I don't care who. Commanding, inspires confidence, conviction in decision making.

2 x Quality CB's. One of whom is proven in the PL. I'd take Evans in a heartbeat. Available for £3m if WBA go down, probably £15m if they stay up. The type of unfashionable, proven Premier League player we're in need of. As for the other... that's what scouts are there for.

Radja Nainggolan. End of. Even if it's £60m.

Thomas Lemar. End of. Even if it's £80m.

Nabil Fekir


New GK / Ospina

Bellerin / NEW RB back up
Koscielny / Holding
Evans / NEW CB
Kolasinac / Monreal (he's getting on now - Wasn't for the overhaul he'd be out too)

Nainggolan / AN Other defensively capable CM
Ramsey / Maitland-Niles

Mhiki / Nelson
Ozil / Wilshere?
Lemar / Fekir

PEA / Lacazette


Cech - Chambers - Jenkinson - Mustafi - Elneny - Xhaka - Iwobi - Welbeck - Lucas - Campbell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:32 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 am
Posts: 763
Location: UK
No point in waiting until the Huddersfield game especially as the forum could be going soon :(

6th is as high or low as we will get, we're finishing with the worst away record of Arsene's tenure, the best we can get is 16 points out of the 19 away games; not sensational or unreasonable to point out that such a return over half a season is relegation form. We've conceded over 50 goals and right now have conceded more goals than Brighton.

On the other hand, we've scored more goals than anyone bar Liverpool and a record breaking Man City. We have 47 points at home which is bloody good and title form and have addressed the need for change. Whether we've addressed it with common sense and ambition, or with penny pinching and a flagrant disregard for the whole point of competition, is another thing.

So, have a look back through these 8 pages, whether it's to feel smug, count the 'I told you sos' or just to chuckle respectfully at some of the overly pessimistic or optimistic hogwash and have a think about where you stand now. We don't know if there will be a 2018-19 version of this thread so now's the time :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 am
Posts: 6060
Location: AL Fantasy League: 564725-182113
Yup. Aside from the questions over Wenger that seems to have dominated all analysis, it's been such a weird season. We know we're often great at home and dire away, but this kind of away form is so catastrophic that you have to wonder what's been going on there. Even when we do seem up for it and work hard, it seems to somehow keep the losing run going.

As for the squad, it's hard to say. Eventually, messily, some of the long-running issues have been addressed; we finally have a class striker (or two), and I would say that a lot of deadwood has been cleared out. But I have a feeling that for the next manager, the most complicated question will not be who he keeps and who he buys, but how he fights to keep players who may, with the change of seasons, start thinking about fresh pastures (Ramsey, Bellerin), and players who are too old/declined now (Cech, Koscielny, Cazorla).

Didn't seem so long ago when we got ourselves a new spine. Well, we're going to need a whole new one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 am
Posts: 837
Add Jack Wilshere to the list too - there is a strong possibility that he won’t take a pay cut.

In all, the new manager probably has to replace around 6 first team starters! That is crazy - and with the rumoured £50m budget just halting the decline will be miracle.

Makes me laugh when Wenger claims that the squad needs 2-3 additions to compete with the title...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:48 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:14 am
Posts: 6987
Location: Camouflaged
The first signing we should make is Aaron Ramsey to a new contract; that is imperative for me. The squad is much more capable than it seems, and a good tactician and capable recruiter could make a vast difference with the lot that we have. That said, I do not care one iota which of the current senior first-team squad remain at the club, bar four or five players. The new manager really does have a blank slate to start with and can mould this squad as he sees fit.

As for Wilshere, if he choose to leave so be it. If it's for 'footballing reasons' fair enough, if it's due to a quibble over pay then (unless we are truly lowballing him) he would do well to understand that many clubs would have scrapped him a long time ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:31 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 am
Posts: 837
LoneGunner wrote:
The squad is much more capable than it seems, and a good tactician and capable recruiter could make a vast difference with the lot that we have.


I’d like to agree with you however I don’t think the majority of the squad has it in them to raise the bar for more than the occasional game. Bearing in mind that Liverpool and Spurs are on the up, Man Utd already have a competitive squad (let down by a shit manager), and Chelsea will make changes to make them a top team, how on earth can we move up from from current 6th spot unless a top class new coach is given £150m in the summer?

Realistically the new manager has to be part of a long term strategy to rebuild the squad over 2-3 seasons before we can even hope to break back into top 5. Why would a player like Ramsey - at his prime age - want to stay this long to be a part of a team on the up with no CL football?

LG you were probably too young to remember what Wenger inherited in 96 - that team had a good core of winners/leaders that Wenger brought the best out of with new ideas, to which Arsene smartly added to with technically superb players. This great combination of players virtually managed themselves! Our current team has very few players with winning mentality, and it will take much more than adding a few hopefuls to turn the decline around. Big players are needed!

It’s a f**king mess, and as fans we need to be patient and supportive with the new manager. If you kid yourself and believe the bull that we are 3 players short of competing for the title, you will be bitterly disappointed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:14 am
Posts: 6987
Location: Camouflaged
muckygooner wrote:
I’d like to agree with you however I don’t think the majority of the squad has it in them to raise the bar for more than the occasional game. Bearing in mind that Liverpool and Spurs are on the up, Man Utd already have a competitive squad (let down by a shit manager), and Chelsea will make changes to make them a top team, how on earth can we move up from from current 6th spot unless a top class new coach is given £150m in the summer?


We always look at what others are and could be, but there's more flux in football than that. There's only one top team in the league and others are various shades of more competent than we are at the moment. You could as easily wonder what would happen to Spurs if Pochettino decides to leave - or any of their top players - than think about how they will improve. A year ago Chelsea were dominant, now they are barely better than we are - things change quickly.

A strong budget would be nice, but the biggest improvement we can make is shaking the squad out of their complacency, re-instilling a winning spirit and non acceptance of being average, and approaching games with a defined theme. Squad additions are then the icing on the cake, albeit we now look to need more than we did a year ago.

muckygooner wrote:
Why would a player like Ramsey - at his prime age - want to stay this long to be a part of a team on the up with no CL football?


Lack of Champions League football hasn't been a barrier to any rival clubs over the past half-decade, it's not the driving force it is - or was - meant to be. We brought in Aubameyang without any Champions League football, and he's top 8-10 in his position in Europe.

"Pay them and they will come".

You could spin this any way you want really. Going back to the previous example of Spurs; why would Ramsey be any more likely to leave after winning three FA Cups in four years - scoring the winner twice - even when we're shit, than the legion of top-rated Spurs players who haven't won a lottery ticket between them in the same period, despite being the great pretenders and every pundits new 'second club'. To the point where Hugo Lloris is trying to convince people that finishing 4th is more important than a trophy.

In the end, it will come down to personal contentment, the ambition the club demonstrate and economic factors - and perhaps which other clubs would want to sign him.

muckygooner wrote:
LG you were probably too young to remember what Wenger inherited in 96 - that team had a good core of winners/leaders that Wenger brought the best out of with new ideas, to which Arsene smartly added to with technically superb players. This great combination of players virtually managed themselves! Our current team has very few players with winning mentality, and it will take much more than adding a few hopefuls to turn the decline around. Big players are needed!


If only...

But yes, this is a problem. We need a keynote player(s) in the spine that we can build from, in the same way that Aubameyang is that player for us upfront.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: