It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
We always look at what others are and could be, but there's more flux in football than that. There's only one top team in the league and others are various shades of more competent than we are at the moment. You could as easily wonder what would happen to Spurs if Pochettino decides to leave - or any of their top players - than think about how they will improve. A year ago Chelsea were dominant, now they are barely better than we are - things change quickly.

I think your examples are to simplistic - if Spurs lose their manager they still have a good 1st eleven that a good manager can build upon. And Chelsea... well this is a unique example of a (small) club shoot themselves in the foot because of repeating internal infighting and power struggles... however they always have it in them to bounce back.

The difference in the quality and balance of the squads between us and the clubs above is too great - the league table proves that. Our squad is a mess - I’d feel more confident if either our defence or midfield was balanced and ‘complete’... we are short in both areas.

We are strong up front - however without a well balanced midfield behind them they are crippled. We need a back to basics approach and build the team properly. This is going to take years.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:11 pm 
Acclaimed member

Chelsea and United have both shown that wild rides up and down between title challenger and Europe qualification struggles are not isolated incidents, but almost routine. Neither of them have been consistently a level above us the last few years. What's different is that they ping up and down, while we're sort of stuck on the down.

Now, with Wenger gone, we shall see if we get our own wild rides up and down the top of the table... or if our own variance is going to be up and down the middle of the table.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:07 am 

arcaliea wrote:
Chelsea and United have both shown that wild rides up and down between title challenger and Europe qualification struggles are not isolated incidents, but almost routine. Neither of them have been consistently a level above us the last few years. What's different is that they ping up and down, while we're sort of stuck on the down.

Now, with Wenger gone, we shall see if we get our own wild rides up and down the top of the table... or if our own variance is going to be up and down the middle of the table.

We were hardly committed to Europa league - only taking it seriously when we had zero hope of finishing top 4. We would be where we are if we had no European football.

I think you are over-analysing here. Keeping it simple... right now based the most basic element - the players/squad each club has, if you had a choice out of ManU Spurs Liverpool Chelsea Arsenal... which team would YOU want to manage next season? I think we have the worst squad by a considerable margin, then think how much money our board are likely to make available. Not good

Let’s see how much money is made available to the new manager after Wenger wasted most of our so called warchest leaving us with a team that needs 4-5 good experienced players to just get some balance to halt the decline. I look at what Leicester did and have hope... however even their squad had better balance!

Be careful what you wish for...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

I think you're reading in something different from what I've said.

It's all very simple: our own troubles aside, Chelsea and United have had some wild swings recent years and have shown themselves capable of both a distinct level above us and a level below us.

Of course a manager would take United over us, for instance, given its historical pedigree and the boatloads of money they would get. (If Chelsea, the first thing I'd be asking is how much money... just like with Arsenal.)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:19 pm 

Forget the money, forget the history. We as a side have no spine and we lack leadership on the pitch, and have no cohesion.

The fact that you can consider some sides as 'not consistently better than us' yet consistently finishing higher than us is probably your own subconscious damnation of the quality of this squad.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:04 am 
Acclaimed member

Whoa there. I'm simply noting the actual fact that both of those sides have finished below us and out of the CL within the last 4 years.

Obviously, as a fan, you would take their overall results above Arsenal's all day long. I'm rather wondering how big the difference in attractabilty would be for a new manager. As I say, I think Uniteds pedigree and continued spending makes them far more attractive, and there are more question marks with Chelsea.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:46 pm 
Acclaimed member

Article today that we are hoping to bring in Lichtsteiner, which I found interesting as I was thinking that he might be a useful signing after learning a couple of weeks ago that he is impending out of contract.

It would provide solid competition for Bellerin and, perhaps, give him a well-aimed kick up the backside but, more importantly, he would add significantly to a squad shorn of character. He has the type of attitude we sorely lack, albeit often strays beyond the line to being an utter arsehole on the pitch. A personality with a raft of trophies on his mantelpiece - it would be a start, even if just for a season or two.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm 

Does anybody know whether Lichtsteiner has run down his contract, or whether he wouldn't get an extension from Juve, or whether it was something in between?

I am always slightly cautious with older players, but he made 27 league appearances last season so he could still be in good shape.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:03 pm 
Acclaimed member

He recently said it was to pursue a new challenge.

The truth may lie somewhere in between; Juve acquired Matteo Di Sciglio last season and he features regularly, and they also have Daniele Rugani who has been given some game-time at rightback too. Juve used to use a 532 with wingbacks, but more often than not this season when I have watched them, they are in a back four; Rugani has been viewed as the next great hope and the back four gives him less opportunity to play in the centre.

With Buffon gone, Barzagli on his last legs and Chiellini also out of contract, I suspect Allegri is looking to reinvigorate the backline next season and Lichtsteiner (probably on a decent wage) may be dispensable to free up some extra funds.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:48 pm 

Sounds good, thanks LG. Let's just hope he doesn't become another Silvestre.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 pm 
Acclaimed member

Lichtsteiner signed, sealed and delivered.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44374226

I'm not against this philosophy; players with experience who can help us now and can still do a job whilst not necessarily needing to break the bank.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:59 pm 

It's the sort of unfashionable signing we need that I talked about months ago. People who can come in, add quality but add vital ingredients to the squad we lack.

Our outgoings are going to be more important than our incomings this season because without the space we'll struggle to afford much needed new blood.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:26 pm 
Acclaimed member

So, fresh from the Lichtsteiner deal, Emery and his band of merry men have now sealed and delivered Bernd Leno. This is a interesting one; very reasonable fee for an International-level keeper, prime age, long-term possibility. I would suspect this signals the departure of Ospina, but equally I don't expect that a longterm-no.1 keeper has arrived to 'do a Szczesny' and take a year of splinters behind a former great. This to me signals the end of Cech as no.1, but will big Pete accept being a no.2/rotation?

So much talk about Lucas Torreira that you'd expect this one is going to be a definite. With Sokratis, that is a nice mix of game-ready players across the age range (22, 26, 30, 34) who can come in and give this club a solid foundation to build on for the new season.

Is this the doing of Mislintat? Is this at the behest of Emery? Is this further evidence that Wenger was reluctant to spend but this the will was there at club-level? Who knows. But a likely four signings barely a month after the season has ended is a bloody refreshing change!

It also signals that departures en masse of the 'lost souls' of Arsenal FC will be imminent.

Edit - aaand the first departure confirmed, Wilshere is leaving. Quote as saying he had agreed a new contract on reduced terms but Emery has told him that it would now also be accompanied by a reduced importance and playing time. That gives a strong hint to Torreira/an.other/more game time for Maitland Niles from the younger crop. Given that Emery favours a workaholic press, I think it's fair to assume he didn't feel Wilshere was up to the physical demands.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:56 pm 

It seems like we can only sign one more player after the signings of Sokrataris and Torreira.
I hope that will be a pacy winger.
Also we have now only 8 players that are homegrown so we can't afford to sell one of them without buying another player who is homegrown. Another reason why it was stupid to let Wilshere go.
We need to let either Cech or Ospina go and either Macey or Martinez. We also sell/loan out Mustafi and Mavropanos to make some room for other signings.

GK:
Leno
Cech/Ospina
Martinez/Macey (HG)

Defenders:
Bellerin (HG)
Liechtensteiner
Mustafi
Sokrataris
Koscielny
Chambers (HG)
Holding (HG)
Mavropanos
Monreal
Kolasinac

Midfield:
Xhaka
Ramsey (HG)
Elneny
Maitland (HG)
Torreira
Ozil

Forwards:
Lacazette
Aubamayang
Welbeck (HG)
Iwobi (HG)
Mikytariyan

Players like Nelson, Nketiah and Adelaide are younger that 21 so they don't to be registered.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:34 pm 

Who exactly is pulling what strings doesn't matter to me right now, I am just happy our management team is functioning, making the changes we have needed for some time. We are checking boxes up and down the line and look likely to hit everything on our list, or nearly so. Of course every move is not likely to work out as planned, but we at least have a plan.

Even our backroom staff appointments. I like how we have brought back Freddie and another experienced fellow who's name escapes me at the moment to help the, inexperienced in management, Mertesacker with our youth teams. Also, in regard to the youth setup our U21s will take part in the Checkatrade Trophy next season. Arseblog mentioned it and how "...it means our young players will play against seasoned professionals, away from home, in a truly competitive environment. The benefits to them are obvious, because there’s so much more you can learn playing football like this than at youth level against your peers." I have to say I'm quite interested to see how this goes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next