It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
We always look at what others are and could be, but there's more flux in football than that. There's only one top team in the league and others are various shades of more competent than we are at the moment. You could as easily wonder what would happen to Spurs if Pochettino decides to leave - or any of their top players - than think about how they will improve. A year ago Chelsea were dominant, now they are barely better than we are - things change quickly.

I think your examples are to simplistic - if Spurs lose their manager they still have a good 1st eleven that a good manager can build upon. And Chelsea... well this is a unique example of a (small) club shoot themselves in the foot because of repeating internal infighting and power struggles... however they always have it in them to bounce back.

The difference in the quality and balance of the squads between us and the clubs above is too great - the league table proves that. Our squad is a mess - I’d feel more confident if either our defence or midfield was balanced and ‘complete’... we are short in both areas.

We are strong up front - however without a well balanced midfield behind them they are crippled. We need a back to basics approach and build the team properly. This is going to take years.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:11 pm 
Acclaimed member

Chelsea and United have both shown that wild rides up and down between title challenger and Europe qualification struggles are not isolated incidents, but almost routine. Neither of them have been consistently a level above us the last few years. What's different is that they ping up and down, while we're sort of stuck on the down.

Now, with Wenger gone, we shall see if we get our own wild rides up and down the top of the table... or if our own variance is going to be up and down the middle of the table.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:07 am 

arcaliea wrote:
Chelsea and United have both shown that wild rides up and down between title challenger and Europe qualification struggles are not isolated incidents, but almost routine. Neither of them have been consistently a level above us the last few years. What's different is that they ping up and down, while we're sort of stuck on the down.

Now, with Wenger gone, we shall see if we get our own wild rides up and down the top of the table... or if our own variance is going to be up and down the middle of the table.

We were hardly committed to Europa league - only taking it seriously when we had zero hope of finishing top 4. We would be where we are if we had no European football.

I think you are over-analysing here. Keeping it simple... right now based the most basic element - the players/squad each club has, if you had a choice out of ManU Spurs Liverpool Chelsea Arsenal... which team would YOU want to manage next season? I think we have the worst squad by a considerable margin, then think how much money our board are likely to make available. Not good

Let’s see how much money is made available to the new manager after Wenger wasted most of our so called warchest leaving us with a team that needs 4-5 good experienced players to just get some balance to halt the decline. I look at what Leicester did and have hope... however even their squad had better balance!

Be careful what you wish for...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

I think you're reading in something different from what I've said.

It's all very simple: our own troubles aside, Chelsea and United have had some wild swings recent years and have shown themselves capable of both a distinct level above us and a level below us.

Of course a manager would take United over us, for instance, given its historical pedigree and the boatloads of money they would get. (If Chelsea, the first thing I'd be asking is how much money... just like with Arsenal.)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:19 pm 

Forget the money, forget the history. We as a side have no spine and we lack leadership on the pitch, and have no cohesion.

The fact that you can consider some sides as 'not consistently better than us' yet consistently finishing higher than us is probably your own subconscious damnation of the quality of this squad.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:04 am 
Acclaimed member

Whoa there. I'm simply noting the actual fact that both of those sides have finished below us and out of the CL within the last 4 years.

Obviously, as a fan, you would take their overall results above Arsenal's all day long. I'm rather wondering how big the difference in attractabilty would be for a new manager. As I say, I think Uniteds pedigree and continued spending makes them far more attractive, and there are more question marks with Chelsea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9