It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:35 pm 

I'd sell Cech before Ospina. Waste of resources IMHO. Very disappointed with Xhaka being given a new long term deal though and it'll be interesting to see exactly how Emery sets up and hopefully he gets the best out of Xhaka. Although Xhaka's downfalls last season were completely individual. Didn't deserve a new deal and it's shocking he has got one to be frank.

Will we see a trio of; Torreira, Xhaka and Ramsey for the tougher games with Ozil dropped or shifted out wide? It will definitely be interesting.

Ramsey with a license to roam behind the striker and press high up is easily his best position in my opinion and when he stays fit has far more consistency about him.

---------- PEA

Miki --- Ramsey --- Ozil

----- Xhaka - Torreira

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:43 pm 

One surprise to me in the management part of the squad was the retention of Steve Bould as an assistant head coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am 

Balboa wrote:
I'd sell Cech before Ospina. Waste of resources IMHO. Very disappointed with Xhaka being given a new long term deal though and it'll be interesting to see exactly how Emery sets up and hopefully he gets the best out of Xhaka. Although Xhaka's downfalls last season were completely individual. Didn't deserve a new deal and it's shocking he has got one to be frank.

Will we see a trio of; Torreira, Xhaka and Ramsey for the tougher games with Ozil dropped or shifted out wide? It will definitely be interesting.

Ramsey with a license to roam behind the striker and press high up is easily his best position in my opinion and when he stays fit has far more consistency about him.

---------- PEA

Miki --- Ramsey --- Ozil

----- Xhaka - Torreira

Does make me wonder if Emery rates Ozil, Ramsey in that role with Xhaka as a back up maybe, especially if he goes for Gelson Martins too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 am 
Acclaimed member

Rate or not, I doubt he'd be able to sell Ozil this window. Ramsey's contract situation makes him the likely departure.

With Leno, Sokratis and Lichtsteiner confirmed, and Torreira most probably coming in, I suspect that is the extent of our significant purchases this window.

Funny to see some 'fans' (i.e. angry idiots) wonder why Wenger couldn't buy four players in four weeks. Emery has gone for players that are not (yet?) top quality, players who may ultimately prove a little too old or a little too limited, but likely will make a reliable and positive contribution in the shorter term. I do think this is the right way to go for this season, though.

Certainly excited to see how Torreira will fare in particular, and to have a new face in the goalkeeping lineup that has proven dysfunctional for a decade.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:10 am 

Well documented he wants to build his team around Ramsey. Most likely thing is that he'll sign a new contract.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

After years of austerity and the end of the Wenger era, it seems incredible to think we haven't even reached our first pre-season friendly - in a tournament year - and have not only a new manager but five new signings right across the age profiles.

How Emery integrates these players and moulds the team will play a large part in shaping the season, but short of signing a player with star power this is about as positive a first month as we could have wished for. One more Welsh signing to make...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:28 pm 

Seems the only items left are to address the players we no longer want, Ospina, Campbell, Jenkinson, maybe Martinez and Perez. But yes, I love the way the club is operating currently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:06 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
So far it's been a good window. Any feelings of optimism at all or are we still all doom and gloom. Opening games against Man City and Chelsea will surely make it exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:48 pm 

For all the good work we have done we have also done two very bad bits of business in handing Xhaka and the impending Iwobi new deals. Lumbered ourselves with arguably our two worst performing first team players last season for god knows how long! :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:33 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Balboa wrote:
For all the good work we have done we have also done two very bad bits of business in handing Xhaka and the impending Iwobi new deals. Lumbered ourselves with arguably our two worst performing first team players last season for god knows how long! :headbang:

So you won't take into consideration they could thrive under a new manager with new coaching methods?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:56 pm 

If you put Lewis Hamilton in a Robin Reliant it would still be a Robin Reliant.

Xhaka was woeful for us last season and was woeful for Switzerland this summer. Iwobi was woeful for us last season and was removed from the Nigerian first team this summer. I hope both players thrive under Emery, but I'd rather them have done that and earned their contracts rather than have just been given them like they have.

Both have to make improvements of cataclysmic proportions in my opinion. Their decision making was League One standard at times. That's what concerns me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:55 pm 

Balboa wrote:
If you put Lewis Hamilton in a Robin Reliant it would still be a Robin Reliant.

Xhaka was woeful for us last season and was woeful for Switzerland this summer. Iwobi was woeful for us last season and was removed from the Nigerian first team this summer. I hope both players thrive under Emery, but I'd rather them have done that and earned their contracts rather than have just been given them like they have.

Both have to make improvements of cataclysmic proportions in my opinion. Their decision making was League One standard at times. That's what concerns me.

His signing Xhaka to a new contract may well be because Wilshere has gone, Ramsey hasn't signed a contract yet and AMN he might feel is another year away, Iwobi can still prove to be a useful squad player, someone off the bench to add a bit of pace.

I don't think Emery or to be honest anyone else realised how good Guendouzi has been since signing, I can seriously in a years time see a Guendouzi/Torreira partnership in Defensive midfield with Xhaka/Elneny being their back ups.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:25 am 
Acclaimed member

We also don't seem very close at all to getting rid on Ospina, Campbell, Jenkinson, or anyone really. I don't mind if Emery wants to keep both Perez and Welbeck (though I wouldn't do so myself), but these players were always going to be hard to offload - as has proven in the past.

As for incoming, I expect none and I'm OK with that. The question is how we handle Ramsey's contract.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:24 pm 

arcaliea wrote:
We also don't seem very close at all to getting rid on Ospina, Campbell, Jenkinson, or anyone really. I don't mind if Emery wants to keep both Perez and Welbeck (though I wouldn't do so myself), but these players were always going to be hard to offload - as has proven in the past.

As for incoming, I expect none and I'm OK with that. The question is how we handle Ramsey's contract.

Reports keep coming up that Ramsey is getting a lot of interest and that Emery could use a sale of Ramsey to get N'Zonzi, in other news he is also looking at another central defender and trying to get Mustafi out.

Welbeck is interesting Everton and possibly Fulham, Ospina and Campbell seem to be rumbling on and on, the situation I don't want with Ramsey is that the window shuts next week and he goes abroad before the 31st without us having an adequate replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:43 pm 
Acclaimed member

Those reports of interest in Ramsey though seem very loose, like an agent who is trying to create domestic interest in order for an offer to be increased. I have a feeling Ramsey wants and is waiting for a move to a top European team but none really want him or are genuinely interested.

I would love Ramsey to stay and be made captain. However, if he is not going to sign then he should be moved on, as much as I would loathe it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next