It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:35 pm 

I'd sell Cech before Ospina. Waste of resources IMHO. Very disappointed with Xhaka being given a new long term deal though and it'll be interesting to see exactly how Emery sets up and hopefully he gets the best out of Xhaka. Although Xhaka's downfalls last season were completely individual. Didn't deserve a new deal and it's shocking he has got one to be frank.

Will we see a trio of; Torreira, Xhaka and Ramsey for the tougher games with Ozil dropped or shifted out wide? It will definitely be interesting.

Ramsey with a license to roam behind the striker and press high up is easily his best position in my opinion and when he stays fit has far more consistency about him.

---------- PEA

Miki --- Ramsey --- Ozil

----- Xhaka - Torreira

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:43 pm 

One surprise to me in the management part of the squad was the retention of Steve Bould as an assistant head coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am 

Balboa wrote:
I'd sell Cech before Ospina. Waste of resources IMHO. Very disappointed with Xhaka being given a new long term deal though and it'll be interesting to see exactly how Emery sets up and hopefully he gets the best out of Xhaka. Although Xhaka's downfalls last season were completely individual. Didn't deserve a new deal and it's shocking he has got one to be frank.

Will we see a trio of; Torreira, Xhaka and Ramsey for the tougher games with Ozil dropped or shifted out wide? It will definitely be interesting.

Ramsey with a license to roam behind the striker and press high up is easily his best position in my opinion and when he stays fit has far more consistency about him.

---------- PEA

Miki --- Ramsey --- Ozil

----- Xhaka - Torreira

Does make me wonder if Emery rates Ozil, Ramsey in that role with Xhaka as a back up maybe, especially if he goes for Gelson Martins too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 am 
Acclaimed member

Rate or not, I doubt he'd be able to sell Ozil this window. Ramsey's contract situation makes him the likely departure.

With Leno, Sokratis and Lichtsteiner confirmed, and Torreira most probably coming in, I suspect that is the extent of our significant purchases this window.

Funny to see some 'fans' (i.e. angry idiots) wonder why Wenger couldn't buy four players in four weeks. Emery has gone for players that are not (yet?) top quality, players who may ultimately prove a little too old or a little too limited, but likely will make a reliable and positive contribution in the shorter term. I do think this is the right way to go for this season, though.

Certainly excited to see how Torreira will fare in particular, and to have a new face in the goalkeeping lineup that has proven dysfunctional for a decade.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:10 am 

Well documented he wants to build his team around Ramsey. Most likely thing is that he'll sign a new contract.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

After years of austerity and the end of the Wenger era, it seems incredible to think we haven't even reached our first pre-season friendly - in a tournament year - and have not only a new manager but five new signings right across the age profiles.

How Emery integrates these players and moulds the team will play a large part in shaping the season, but short of signing a player with star power this is about as positive a first month as we could have wished for. One more Welsh signing to make...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:28 pm 

Seems the only items left are to address the players we no longer want, Ospina, Campbell, Jenkinson, maybe Martinez and Perez. But yes, I love the way the club is operating currently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10