It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:10 pm 

Tubzinho wrote:
Those reports of interest in Ramsey though seem very loose, like an agent who is trying to create domestic interest in order for an offer to be increased. I have a feeling Ramsey wants and is waiting for a move to a top European team but none really want him or are genuinely interested.

I would love Ramsey to stay and be made captain. However, if he is not going to sign then he should be moved on, as much as I would loathe it.

I know, everyone from Liverpool to Barcelona are interested but no complete concrete bids for him have come out, as I said, we have less than a week to tie up our deals, other European clubs have until the 31st where they can still sign our players should they wish (and obviously should the club want to let them go). It would be the ultimate slap in the face from a player who I actually think can still improve at his age if he waits until after the UK window closes and moves abroad.

I would love for him to sign a new contract and be given the armband though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:41 am 

Not expecting anything from the first 2 games and certainly didn't think we'd get anything from the City game. We'd been going backwards for a while and now Kroenke can do what he likes, not sure we'll ever get back to being regularly at the top (unless he relocates us to the States). Some of the long term dross has been flushed but there's still a lot here. 2017/18 thoughts in blue, 2018/19 thoughts in green.

Emperor wrote:

Keepers
Cech Last season as 1st choice, looking a little shaky No change
Ospina Should be sold
Leno Welcome! Should start as 1st choice very soon and if not better than Cech, why sign him?

Defence
Bellerin Regressing so last season for me Not great but who else?
Koscielny
Gabriel never good enough and gone anyway
Chambers Sell OK, has new deal yet straight out on loan??
Monreal Last year and should never be centre back Did ok but we need new blood here.
xxxx (new central defender who is better than Gabriel so he improves the team rather than the squad)Still need this and still don't have it Sokratis has the experience. Maybe he will fit in?
Mustafi Not convinced but with Koscielny out, few options.
Lichsteiner Adds experience and desire.

Midfield
Elneny both he and Coq are underwhelming but who else? Never want to see Elneny in the back 3 again. Still unsure
xxxx x2 (never seen Xhaka play but at least we should make a bid for Pogba so that we’ve tried, rather than just watch others go for him. I don’t know how Carvalho has recovered from his injury – LG? I would also be pleased (hindsight is so nice) if we went for Kante as well)
Should have got Kante but will give Xhaka another year. Not convinced though. Get rid of Xhaka.
Torreira Love what I saw, admittedly in the World Cup only. Has to be 1st choice
Guendouzi Like what I have seen but the kid needs time

Attacking Midfield
Ozil He can go for free at the end of the season for me. We needed him in 2006-8 after Bergkamp but he isn't what we need now. Was initially glad he stayed but just not what we need right now.
Iwobi Final season if no progress. Does not look much of a player.
xxxx (would like to see a winger – who is that guy everyone loves? I’ve got Yarmolenko in my mind but I don’t think it’s him. Buggered if I can remember his name! Maybe it is Yarmolenko)Think I meant Konoplyanka! Still no winger but happy to see Nelson given chances.
Mkhitaryan A gift from Jose? I think not but will give him the season.

Strikers
Giroud (Good player but not world class. 3rd option for me in the same way Dzeko was for City. Same but maybe 2nd option now Would have liked him to stay as bench option only.
Welbeck Utd don't sell their best players. Good bloke but woeful striker. No change yet still here!
xxxx (In retrospect, glad we didn’t sign Benzema with his off the field issues, so Arsene couldn’t really win there. Higuain is another year older, while Ibrahimovich is amazing, but the Jose Mourinho of strikers. Not convinced by Lukaku to be honest, so maybe try for Dortmund’s I’ll-bang-yer-mam. Wouldn’t rule out Dybala or Morata but an upgrade is needed as Welbeck is also good but not frighteningly so. The problem is that everyone wants a great striker so this may be a tough one.) Well we got Lacazette but is he the answer? Lacazette didn't have a bad season so will see how he does this year.
Aubameyang Class and delighted to sign him. Expect lots of goals and hopefully more involvement when not scoring.

Jenkinson isn’t good enough in my opinion so he can go. Same for Ramsey – very glad he came back from thuggery, but no pace and other than a few goals in a streak style way, doesn’t offer too much. No change No change on either, yet we're fretting on Ramsey for some reason. Just get rid of both!

Joel Campbell. May have come off that eternal conveyor belt of world class Costa Rican players, but just not what we need. I feel bad about saying that, but would he really get into any of the other top 4 teams, either traditional or this crazy season? Tries hard but just not good enough. No change How is he still here??

Better than Walcott, but then that’s like saying I’d rather have a blister than athlete’s foot. I see nothing in him and never had, other than he’s a nice guy. Any time anyone talks about him, within 5 words, they talk about his pace – that’s all he has. So does Bolt, but no one has signed him yet at Old Trafford. No change Gone, thank fcuk

I’ve mentioned Southampton players away from their roots on another thread, so I would also say cheerio to the Ox. No change, ungrateful little shit

Lucas Perez has gone for a fee which reflects the shambolic recruitment of previous times while Akpom has also finally been released. I don't think we will regret Jack leaving bar one or two standout performances he will undoubtedly have (probably against us). Good luck to Santi, bless his little legs and heart.
Happy to see more of Nketiah and Nelson this season.

There's enough to keep top 6 but strongly doubt top 4.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:39 pm 

Granit Xhaka :headbang:

Bloke is an absolute joke. If he plays 30+ League games this season in the middle of the park for us even Top 6 will be unlikely. He was rubbish last season, he was rubbish in the WC but he's been given a new long term contract. :cry2:

Was shocking yesterday, surprise surprise.

Cech was a complete bag of nerves.

Our line up offered zero width.

Wasn't expecting anything from the game, but we were woeful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:20 pm 
Acclaimed member

Xhaka was anonymous. Can’t say he was terrible because to be terrible you have to do something to be terrible, not hide like Xhaka did. Guendouzi was poor but should have had help and Xhaka should have been that help. Instead Xhaka hid and left a kid to do a mans job. Can’t fault Guendouzi’s attitude, he tried but he is not at the level to be starting games here yet, particularly without proper guidance in there.

Torreira and Elneny must start against Chelsea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 am 

So what do we make of the Ramsey situation?

Emery plans to build the squad around him, a verbal agreement for an extension is finally in the cards when it is suddenly pulled by the club, but pulled by who? Talk of our wage bill makes it feel like management getting cheap, so Knonke? Or Emery deciding he is not needed, which is possible as it seems like one of Ramsey or Ozil. Two players for one central position, one will always be wasted on the wing and actually hurts our width. I think I would prefer Ramsey given a straight pick, but Ozil's contract seems to leave little choice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:28 am 

On another topic, Torreira. Powerful quick tight wound little player, DM we have been missing for what a decade now? Tremendous player, solid and disciplined without being afraid to get forward or flash a pass at the right time.

Covers up Xhaka's main deficiencies and has brought balance to our midfield. That said Xhaka has been playing better and not doing so many stupid things defensively. Emery clearly has no reservation in selecting him but is this a case of the best available option or because Emery sees him as integral?

At any rate, Torreira is a cornerstone player that you can build any midfield you like around. Hell of a buy whoever picked him to be brought in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:11 am 

I can only echo your posts here, Jase. Love the look of Torreira so far, seems like we finally found the partner that makes Xhaka look the player he can be.

I am gutted about Ramsey leaving. Brilliant player, and a great representative for the club. I remember defending him against Wilshere fans on here in a "Ramsey vs. Wilshere - who's the better prospect"-thread ages ago. :lol: It's a strange turn of events, and we will probably never now why we were negotiating for so long and then withdrew the offer when he accepted. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes, so my guess is it being some kind of power play.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:23 am 
Acclaimed member

Who knows what exactly happened, and who knows if any of the rumours we hear are even grounded in truth. Sports journalism and all that.

I guess the question is, was Ramsey worth the big wage increase, which would correspondingly put a big damper on funds for future signings? And if it were me, I would have thought -
  • -Ramsey and Ozil, it's hard to get the most out of both of them.
  • -And Ozil's already signed a big contract, there's no getting rid of him like it or not, that boat has already sailed.
  • -What does the team really need? The team really desperately needs a quality CB, it probably needs a true winger, and a deeper-playing CM, before it needs two expensive advanced central midfielders.

It's not really about choosing Ozil over Ramsey - it's just the refund window already expired on one of them, and then Emery/board had to make a call on the other.

I really like Ramsey and never understood the haters, but I can understand the logic if he was asking for a huge increase. Of course, what really needed to happen was to make this decision in May not October. What the hell is the point of getting rid of Wenger and ushering in a 'continental model' if you can't even sort this crap out in time? Giving Emery 2 months to decide if he wants Ramsey makes sense - if we are Manchester City. The money we lose from this will hurt us for years.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:56 pm 
Acclaimed member

It's a **** decision all-round. Yet another player who should never have been allowed to get down to the final year of contract.

Unless there is someone already in the squad ready to step-in, or a different modus operandi for how we play that doesn't accommodate Ramsey, how much are we going to have to spend to 'replace him' anyway? Limitations considered, he is one of the prime defence-breaking midfielders in the division. His off-the-ball runs and willingness to impact the final third are as good as just about anyone. Excellent player whose main limiting factor is his fitness (and that is shared equally by Ozil) and who doesn't get anywhere near the credit he is due, and also someone you can rely on to show up big when it matters.

Clearly this isn't an 'Ozil or Ramsey' situation; different timeframes, but if we were to offer a big contract to one of them, mine would be the Welshman over the German. He obviously doesn't want to leave Arsenal either.

Unless Emery simply does not want to make him a pivotal member of the team, this needs sorted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:28 pm 
Acclaimed member

Right - if Emery was the boss during a summer where Ozil and Ramsey are both 12 months till free, then perhaps a different decision might have been made. My point is that for Emery, Ozil is a lock-in like it or not, and the club now has to think of their future purchase plans with that in mind.

Nothing excuses not selling Ramsey in the summer past if they were going to do this, of course. I would have accepted selling him in July and using the transfer/wage $ on a new CM or winger. But this just seems to be proof that the days of Arsenal giving players away and throwing money down the drain isn't over yet. One can only hope we will stop doing this once the 'transition' is over.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:59 pm 

I'd rather give Ozil away and keep Ramsey. I'm not even joking.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:40 am 

Loved Torreira in the World Cup and love him even more now. Iwobi has surprised me and I would love to be wrong about him. Still not arsed whether Ramsey stays or not. A little disappointed that Nelson went on loan and would like to have seen more of Nketiah in Europe but I get what Emery is doing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:36 am 
Acclaimed member

Emperor wrote:
A little disappointed that Nelson went on loan.

As was I, although realistically he was only going to be given Europa League and Cup games. However, he is at the ideal club, playing under a young and progressive manager who will give opportunities to youth and endorses attacking football. A spell in a different culture is beneficial too, something more English players should have been open to years ago.

He scored twice against Nuremberg yesterday, four league goals in four games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11