It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Squad Analysis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:04 am 
Acclaimed member

Loan-to-buy was mooted a few days ago, but I'm not sure if this eventual deal includes it.

Geez, Campbell. He really can't find a buyer, can he?

And oh god, do we still have Debuchy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:56 am 

Well that's the summer transfer window done!

We keep Sanchez - i don't think we could have got another player that can contribute as much as he has so having him for another year I'd great news! He always gives his best, so let's hope he continues to do so.

As for the rest - well it's been a typical Wenger summer. We have lacazette and haven't lost too many players so not too bad I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:40 am 

Well I'd say it was a fecking shambles. What was all this bollocks Gazidis is spouted about catalyst for change??? Nothing has changed we have our usual shambolic window which leaves us still clinging to dead wood we can't shift and inevitably short where it's obvious we need help. Yes we end up keeping our one quality player who clearly doesn't want to play for us. It remains to be seen whether it will affect him or possibly more importantly the dressing room. We sell Oclafe Chamberlain to Liverpool of all people, I'm amazed we even answer the phone to them after fucking about with Suarez. So we are left with 2 centre backs, one of whom is out of favour for having the audacity to question the managers tactics (or lack of them) the other with a chronic ankle problem, the back up to which is a pensioner who frankly is passed it, a young kid who whilst promises much has also much to learn and Chambers who we clearly don't want but can't move on. At right back the only back up is someone who hasn't played for ages and most of us couldn't recall if he was still at the club. I suppose if you consider Kolasinac an upgrade on Gibbs and Lacazette an upgrade on Perez (although if anyone it would be better shipping Wellbeck out because at least Perez could finish) that is about as positive as it gets. The Sanchez Saga should have been dealt with early and decisively. He clearly wanted a move, don't penny pinch on getting your replacement do it and move him on. Getting a replacement at the 11th hour after our shit start to the season had allowed the shambles to develop was never going to happen. As it stands I personally have doubts about both keepers, we can't defend to save our lives, the defence has no shield which we've been crying out for since Gilberto left, but We're typically stacked out with attacking minded players. Whose fault all this is I don't know or care, what I do know is that it is the manager who insisted on playing an average left back at centre back (while probably our best centre back Sat on the bench) played a right back at left wing back (while the player voted the best left back in the bundesliga last season Sat on the bench) played Wellbeck who can't finish his dinner as a main striker (whilst a player we paid 50 million for as he can finish Sat on the bench). There was only one man culpable for all that. The team selections over the last couple of years seem to have gotten progressively more and more bizarre, but this one pretty much puts the tin lid on it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:14 am 

Keeping Sanchez was a massive win imo. Yes, financially it could have been much better and now it looks like he will go on a free (together with Ozil), but Sanchez is literally irreplaceable such is his contribution. I have confidence that he will give it his all. Who knows he may sign an extension!

Ozil might be a different case - he lacks effort and motivation at the best of times

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:11 am 

Have I read right this morning that the window effectively is not finished yet, and that if any of the Spanish clubs still want to buy they can do from British clubs until tonight.

So in other words we cannot buy anyone but yet Barca and the likes still can, I thought they all shut at once??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:40 pm 

I can see Coutinho going to Barca today however I don't think it will impact anyone currently at Arsenal.

Wenger and Stan must be pretty happy in the end as we still have our most important player Sanchez, and have made a nice £20m profit to boot.

I just hope that Sanchez gives 100% - we need him to get us back into the top club positions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:23 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
manuhater wrote:
Team South East wrote:
Emperor wrote:
Team South East wrote:

I still think the squad is good enough

When you say that TSE, good enough for what? Surely not the League?

This squad is good enough to sustain a title run. Just need the balance to be right. The only thing missing on Sunday aganst Liverpool was a holding midfielder. We lost control in the middle and didn't win the ball back enough. We went pound for pound twice with Chelsea recently and Man City. Once we find the midfield balance as we did with Coquelin and Cazorla we'll be fine.

Jesus mate I'd love some of what you're on. We can't defend, the managers selections are baffling, in all seriousness I'd say this squad under this manager is more likely to be relegated than win the league. The former is unlikely but less so than the latter. Let's be honest we should really be sitting will 0 points after 3 games but we got lucky.

Since the switch to 3 at the back last season we conceded 4 goals in 7 matches and looked solid against Man City and Chelsea in the FA Cup and Community Shield so we can defend. This season we have had Mertesacker out with a gashed eye, Koscielny Suspended, Mustafi not match sharp due to coming back late from Confed Cup, that's 3 of our arguably, first choice CB's that have been missing. Fair enough Koscielny was back for the Liverpool game but he clearly isn't match sharp yet. Even with the sale of Ox, on paper, the squad is still strong. The sale of Ox also allows there to be more balance with Kolasinac playing in his natural LWB position and we will see less of Monreal at CB. Once we get our settled back 3 playing again we'll be fine defensively. Also bare in mind we still have Rob Holding and Calum Chambers who can come in and do a job.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
swanny200 wrote:
Have I read right this morning that the window effectively is not finished yet, and that if any of the Spanish clubs still want to buy they can do from British clubs until tonight.

So in other words we cannot buy anyone but yet Barca and the likes still can, I thought they all shut at once??

That's correct. Spanish and German windows are still open today I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:27 pm 

arcaliea wrote:

Never understood the criticsm Debuchy gets. I've never seen him have a bad game. Guy was just unfortunate to get injured and Bellerin took his chance and leapfrogged ahead of him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 pm 
Acclaimed member

Team South East wrote:
arcaliea wrote:

Never understood the criticsm Debuchy gets. I've never seen him have a bad game. Guy was just unfortunate to get injured and Bellerin took his chance and leapfrogged ahead of him.

I think it's the dreadful attitude he's taken since losing his place TSE that gets people's backs up. He's not exactly looked or sounded like he wants to fight for a place, which has been a shame as he's not a bad player at all. Or wasn't anyway, know who's what he's like now because it's been an age since he played a game....

Amazed he's still here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:57 pm 
Acclaimed member

With Debuchy; he lost his place after two injuries and then decided he'd rather punt the club and go on loan to try and make the Euro squad, than fight for his place. If you prioritise perhaps making a tournament squad over making an impact for your employer, you are done.

Same reason Wenger may not be too enamoured with Wilshere, as imo he did exactly the same last summer. But fans wouldn't turn against Wilshere like Debuchy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:15 pm 

I know this is a unpopular view but i would've sold Sanchez, Ozil and Ox this window. They had more than enough opportunities to sign but they didn't. It's embarrassing, sad and desperate. Arsenal have been made to look pathetic. The horrible fact is we can't attract world class players anymore. I think the board and Wenger know it. Maybe that's why we're so desperate to keep these players no matter the cost.

Yes having Sanchez will undoubtedly make us a stronger but wait until we lose a few games. Will we see the Sanchez who likes to throw his arms about or the player who can win a game on his own.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:50 pm 

Regarding Sanchez, I'm glad he's here. He could down tools, but I don't think he will. It's not in his interests. He may want City now because of Pep but if City fail to win anything this year, then Pep may not be there in 12 months time. He'll represent Chile no matter what, but even though he trains at home and seems to be a very hard worker, all professional players say there's no substitute for match fitness than actually playing.

As for some of the players wanting him out, if that is true then fair enough, they have a right to their opinions. As long as they accept that in some cases there are tens of thousands of fans who would be equally happy if they sodded off elsewhere. If he has a tantrum on the pitch, so be it. No one else is telling the team that they need to get their heads out of their arses so let him do it.

Losing out on the transfer fee on this one doesn't bother me. It's not my money, plus, if we are to make the top 4 (and I really don't think we will) I believe we have a better chance with him than without. Not a perfect scenario, but if we lose out on a transfer but squeak 4th and get £30 million for CL qualification, it's better than nothing.

Copied this from my post on the Lemar thread, rather than rehash.

Not sure anyone would have been in for Ozil, that might change around January when he can start negotiating a freebie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:56 pm 

Looking at our squad as things stand our strongest 11 IMO is as follows:

========CECH========
Mustafi===Mertesacker===Koscielny
Bellerin===Ramsey===Xhaka===Kolasinac
===Ozil=============Alexis====
=========Lacazette===========

On paper that is actually not a bad team at all now for our backup options:

========Ospina=========
Holding===Chambers===Bielik
Debuchy===Elneny/Coquelin===Wilshere/AMN/Jeff-RA===Monreal
===Iwobi/Walcott========Welbeck/Nelson====
========Giroud/Akpom========

Again we have good options in reserve. That's not even including Cazorla who is not registered for this half of the season. The loss against Liverpool escalated the negative feeling amongst fans and the media have fed off that and caused even more controversy with the transfer deadline day drama. 3 games in and fans are carrying on as if we are on the brink of relegation. :lol: :lol: It really is laughable how our fans are wound up so easily by the media. That's a decent squad there, probably one of the best in the league. If we can find a good balance tactically to get the best out of these guys, which we are close to doing, then we can most certainly make that extra step up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:47 pm 

Team South East wrote:
Looking at our squad as things stand our strongest 11 IMO is as follows:

========CECH========
Mustafi===Mertesacker===Koscielny
Bellerin===Ramsey===Xhaka===Kolasinac
===Ozil=============Alexis====
=========Lacazette===========

On paper that is actually not a bad team at all now for our backup options:

========Ospina=========
Holding===Chambers===Bielik
Debuchy===Elneny/Coquelin===Wilshere/AMN/Jeff-RA===Monreal
===Iwobi/Walcott========Welbeck/Nelson====
========Giroud/Akpom========

Again we have good options in reserve. That's not even including Cazorla who is not registered for this half of the season. The loss against Liverpool escalated the negative feeling amongst fans and the media have fed off that and caused even more controversy with the transfer deadline day drama. 3 games in and fans are carrying on as if we are on the brink of relegation. :lol: :lol: It really is laughable how our fans are wound up so easily by the media. That's a decent squad there, probably one of the best in the league. If we can find a good balance tactically to get the best out of these guys, which we are close to doing, then we can most certainly make that extra step up.

You think a midfield of Ramsey and Xhaka will get you top 4? That's midfield got more leaks than a damaged bucket

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next