It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sead Kolasinac
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:17 pm 

What is going on with him? It's fair to say that he really impressed in his first games at The Arsenal. But he seems to be frozen out. What is Wenger's problem with him? Any ideas? Will he be able to redeem himself?

Post subject: Re: Sead Kolasinac
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 pm 
Acclaimed member

Ornstein recently suggested that he hadn't quite panned out the way the club hoped. But it's hard to say from the fan POV why. He certainly didn't seem particularly solid defensively at any point that we saw him, even apart from his masterful assist to the opposition. It's fairly typical for Wenger to give a new player a honeymoon period then take them out for a bit, and it is now compounded with the formation change and Monreal's fantastic form.

The question for me, though, is does Wenger really think Kolasinac is absolutely incapable of playing in a back 4? Or has he been so bad in training that AMN at LB was the better pick?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 am 

arcaliea wrote:
Ornstein recently suggested that he hadn't quite panned out the way the club hoped.

That's interesting, I didn't know about that. I wonder what exactly the club was hoping for then, but as you say, it's difficult to say from the fans' point of view what's going on here.

As you say, Monreal's stellar form doesn't help Kolasinac, but I wonder whether he was only bought for when we play with a back 3. Normally I am not one that is convinced of experimenting with players' positions, but if we still had some lower profile cup games this season, I would have been interested to see how Kolasinac does at the center of the defense.

Personally, I think that Kolasinac has so much to offer to this team - energy, strength, "bullishness", decisiveness - that it would be a real shame, not to mention another example of a non-existent transfer strategy, if he was just frozen out now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Beeergkaaaamp!
First of all, hi, it's been a long time since I posted here.

I wonder if he has not completely recovered, at least confidence wise, since his hip injury. He looks tentative and indecisive when he is on the pitch. Too soon to write him off, Bundesliga team of the year last year right? I think he'll come good, if not during the run in, then next season.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:20 am 

Anarion wrote:
First of all, hi, it's been a long time since I posted here.

Hi Anarion, great to see you! Hope all is well.

Yeah, the hip injury might play a role here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:57 pm 

I think it's fair to say Monreal has been undroppable. He's been by far our best defender of the past few seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm 
Acclaimed member

DUSTCORE wrote:
I think it's fair to say Monreal has been undroppable. He's been by far our best defender of the past few seasons.

Not recently though since we have moved to a 4, if he hadn't had scored a few goals I think his position would be more scrutinised than it is now.

That said, I think potentially that he needs to move to centre back alongside Mustafi or Koscielny because at the moment that partnership in the middle is not working. Since we decided not to seriously address this in the last window, we need an internal solution until the end of the season and really Monreal is the only viable option to move in there unless Wenger is going to put some serious coaching time in with Chambers or Holding.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 am 
Acclaimed member

One thing Monreal doesn't help us with is that he's a clever, nippy defender rather than a powerful aerial presence or tackler. I know we're sick of both our CBs diving in at every opportunity, but all too often Monreal lets people run/shoot past him because he's not able to really get stuck in or muscle them off. The fear is that as a CB in a back 4 he will be even more exposed, and then we're trading Mustafi's tendency to get others in trouble, with Monreal's tendency to not be able to handle the trouble others have given him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:03 am 

What we need to start doing is buying Centre Backs to play as Centre Backs. Centre Backs proven in this league not gambling. Koscielny was the last tidy player in that position Wenger bought. 8 Years ago.

We don't need to start shoe horning players into the side because X Y and Z are pants. Neither Monreal or Kolasinac are capable of playing Centre Back.