It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:12 am 

So what do we think guys, reports saying that Enrique is willing to come to us, but only if he gets the same wage as Wenger at £9m a season and only if he gets £200m money in the first window to spend with all positions bar the forward line at risk.

Do you think the board will relent and if so who do you think will be on their way out?

Obviously Cech, Ospina too with Leno having been scouted along with Navas
Defence could be wiped out although I would like to see Monreal and Kolasinac stay along with Hector.
Midfield could see us losing Elneny, Wilshere, Xsaka and dare I say it Ramsey.

Also talk that if Enrique comes we could sign a 33 year old Iniesta. Ozil, Iniesta, Mikhi and Aubameyang in a team together could be immense if he can still cut it, and cut it in the PL too.

Also rumours that we are about to sign Sokratis, so would this mean that we already have someone in play as surely there is a risk that if we were to go for him and the new manager does not rate him it would be a waste of money.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:57 pm 

Negotiation tactics, ask for the world and see what you can get. As for the wage I'm not even sure what the going rate is and not overly concerned if he is the right man. In principal I would be fine with Enrique.

However, £200m is exorbitant to expect after our recent outlays for transfers, and that is not accounting for the wages that would go along with it. We are a financially responsible club, we are not owned by an oligarch. Should we push the boat out somewhat over the muted £50m we have? Maybe, but I would prefer someone who thinks he can improve the current players with coaching, discipline, system, and tactical acumen, especially defensively. We need someone to instill the defensive solidarity and ability Atletico showed going a man down to us.

The age with Iniesta worries me, more because of the aging of our current squad as many players are 29+. I would also be loathe to lose Ramsey as consequence. At the reported £18m price tag I would be good with Sokratis though.

Where I feel we really need to invest is goalkeeper. Lose Ospina and push Cech to number two and I would feel much better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:27 pm 
Acclaimed member

Don't believe the papers too much. We aren't getting Enrique + Iniesta. It's just like that idiotic paper ramble somewhere about a Dembele-Bellerin swap deal.

As for Enrique as manager - any manager coming in should certainly push for more money and support from our board, and I suspect 200m isn't necessarily the number that he needs. But we're definitely going to need a fair sum, especially if we need to start replacing the likes of Ramsey.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:46 am 

arcaliea wrote:
As for Enrique as manager - any manager coming in should certainly push for more money and support from our board, and I suspect 200m isn't necessarily the number that he needs. But we're definitely going to need a fair sum, especially if we need to start replacing the likes of Ramsey.

100% this.

That's why we need someone who will say it as it is, rather than a young, star-struck person who will be so pleased to get the job that a transfer budget of a fiver will do nicely.

I don't want to turn this into a very premature wishlist, but if whoever comes in can't see we need a keeper, defensive mid and at least one centre back, then we may as well prepare ourselves for a spell in the doldrums. Maybe not 1953-1971 style but stagnation nonetheless.

We do need someone who can extract high performances from low quality players, but the defence does not qualify as part of that. Monreal is getting on, Koscielny is getting on and suffering, Cech is past it and Mustafi is shit. George Graham would need at least two players to sort that out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:20 am 

I agree with any manager pushing for as much money as possible to spend on players.

The problem is that under Arsène the club have already spent a huge amount of money in recent years. And the current situation is that a lot of those buys are not good enough going forward and we won’t recoup the money if we sell. The squad is ageing. And if we don’t win the Europa cup we won’t get the revenue and good players are less likely to come. Should have got rid of Wenger 3 years ago and saved the money for a new long term manager.

The very best managers in the frame will wait to see if we have CL football next season. If we don’t I think we would be better off with a short term appointment such as Benitez or Ancilotti to halt the decline and steady the ship with very limited resources.

Getting back in the CL is beyond crucial right now. Since Arsene’s sacking announcement we have seen a lift in on pitch performance and a lift in fans supporting the club - let’s hope it’s enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:55 pm 
Acclaimed member

Any new Arsenal manager will be expected to try and make players as well as buy ready made players and if it is all about buying players in then I don't think that manager will end up with the job. Mislintat's job is to go and find young players that can be developed - that is why he has been brought in - so it would seem strange if we then appoint manager who is not interested in bringing through young players.

We do need new players at the back (most pressingly a goalkeeper and a proper centre half) but I also think a good manager and good coaching staff can get more from what we have. We don't have a terrible squad on paper and I do think one of the criticisms of Wenger has been that he has not got the best from certain players in the squad or been able to develop certain players to elite level despite giving them game time. Game time is all well and good but if young players are making the same mistakes over and over without instruction and expected to work it our for themselves then they are not going to develop at the rate we expect, however many times you play them.

So perhaps a new manager and fresh approach may be able to get more out of Chambers for example, or Holding or the Greek lad who played today. Or get more out of Iwobi or Kolesinac. Or if they are really good perhaps make a defender out of Mustafi (wishful thinking though). I think thats certainly what we should be looking at when looking for a new manager but the current crop of managers led by Mourinho and Guardiola are all about spend, spend, spend so that may be harder than we think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:07 pm 

That's it though Tubz, apart from the likes of the smaller clubs that have only been here a few years, the big boys are spending big, either Kroenke and Gazidis have to prove that it doesn't have to be the case (which I hope is the case and needs the right recruitment and scouting structure, this could be what has happened behind close doors the last 6 months) or they need to give money to match the Chelsea/United budgets and hope that they get a manager who can spend it and not be a one season wonder or even worse a complete failure who had spent all our money on crap.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:15 pm 
Acclaimed member

I don’t know who would be the replacement for Wenger. Perhaps there is no one who can replace him.

His departure and thus the replacement of a successor equates to retirement of your long standing dentist whom you have trusted for major part of your life. You never know if you can trust the next one until you try him or her out. Can inexperienced guy learn on the job and given time will get better?

So how do you judge if the new manager to be appointed has the requisite skills? You don’t. Past performance is no guarantee for future success nor is promising past can assure a natural progression towards excellence. While you may pick and choose a candidate based on your opinion which was based on assessments done by various observers of the game, we all can agree we are going into the unknown. What we need is a name who will make us say- Arsene, who?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am 

The rumours on Arteta seem to gain pace. Allegri seems to be the only alternative left.

While I think that any new appointment deserves support and a chance to show what he can do, I struggle to understand the optimism. Would any other top team appoint Arteta? Would we appoint Arteta if he hadn't played for us? Everybody agreed that the problem was not (only) Wenger, but the people that hid behind him. Now they appoint the new coach, someone who demands little money and doesn't raise expectations, and suddenly we are supposed to trust the judgment of Gazidis?

I really liked Arteta as a player, and he may even become a good coach, but boy, this is would be such an underwhelming - and therefore: fitting - appointment.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:20 am 
Acclaimed member

Jules wrote:
The rumours on Arteta seem to gain pace. Allegri seems to be the only alternative left.

While I think that any new appointment deserves support and a chance to show what he can do, I struggle to understand the optimism. Would any other top team appoint Arteta? Would we appoint Arteta if he hadn't played for us? Everybody agreed that the problem was not (only) Wenger, but the people that hid behind him. Now they appoint the new coach, someone who demands little money and doesn't raise expectations, and suddenly we are supposed to trust the judgment of Gazidis?

I really liked Arteta as a player, and he may even become a good coach, but boy, this is would be such an underwhelming - and therefore: fitting - appointment.

This type of appointment, at least to me, says that a totally different tact is being taken all together in how the team is run and one could envisage that Arteta (or Vieira) would be working a head coach role rather than that of the traditional manager as we know it. In all honesty I have no idea if that line of thinking is to be applauded or not, on the one hand Wenger probably had too much control at Arsenal and it makes sense for a successor not to be bogged down in that type of environment when we've made changes behind the scenes to share the burden but then it's also a huge gamble to have a whole team who's inexperienced at dealing with managing a club together.

My personal preference is for a candidate with experience, someone who falls more into the 'safe hands' bracket than 'bold appointment' and I just don't see why on earth we'd entrust a candidate with no experience in this role with such a huge task at a club that has had more than its fair share of division and pressure. It's more than just a huge ask, it's quite probably an impossible task and certainly feels like an error to go this way. If I were Arteta, frankly I'd distance myself ASAP from the Arsenal job and look to kick-start a managerial career somewhere other than where the attention and media glare will be at an extreme....how easy is it for a new manager to disappear because one big job went wrong??

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:40 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
It would not surprise me one bit to see the club appoint Arteta. It's quite obvious that our current structure is pointing towards a young head coach, with the head of recruitment (Mislintat), Academy Manager (Mertesacker) DOFR (Sanllehi) managing all other aspects of the club to assist him. IMO it's a good long term move based on him knowing the club and their 'values', brand of football we play etc etc. Yes he does noty have experience but he is very highly regarded and he must have really impressed the board (Gazidis) and also Man City at the time of them appointing him. If he has the respect of the players at Man City why can't he have it with the players at Arsenal? Allegri for me would be a good short term solution but I just struggle to see him working under the new structure. I'm also wary of whether the brand of football will be what so many fans fell in love with during the Wenger years.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:01 pm 

F#%king hell - are we such a small club that at a difficult time of sustained decline we are looking to appoint an assistant coach of another club? First the Liverpool assistant. Then the ManUtd assistant.

Several people at the club are publicly endorsing Arteta - there must be something in this. I’ve got nothing against Arteta... however right now I just don’t think we should be gambling in such an important area when the squad is in need of major surgery! For me, an experienced manager like Ancilotti or Benítez would provide a strong figurehead to steer the club.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 pm 

FFS everything this club does is the cheap option. This group of players is utterly dysfunctional, can't defend and has nonleaders, so what do they think we need, a member of another club's coaching staff. This is a massive job, give it to someone with no track record and you're flirting with your Premier League existence. Wenger claims it's 3 players shy of title challengers, seriously, try about 8. The only player worthy of a title side is Aubameyang, if you can get Ozil to perform that's another. The defence and goalkeeper are a shambles, Cech is finished as is Koscielny, Mustafi is shit and Monreal is getting on. And they think someone with zero experience us equipped to sort this out, do me a favour. I badly wanted Wenger out but I was always sceptical about the ability of the idiots running the club to appoint a credible replacement

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm 
Acclaimed member

I'd prefer even the high-risk possible trainwreck of Arteta to a Benitez. If we're going to go for Benitez we might as well have kept Wenger.

Allegri has just declared his intentions to stay at Juve. If we should ultimately go for Arteta, I wonder what happened behind the scenes; I'm sure we spoke to Enrique and Allegri at least, even if Simeone or Tuchel might have been no-gos from the start. My money would be that we couldn't attract them, rather than us turning them down.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 pm 

arcaliea wrote:
I'd prefer even the high-risk possible trainwreck of Arteta to a Benitez. If we're going to go for Benitez we might as well have kept Wenger

I’m truly stumped by this comment. I don’t know how to respond :headbang:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next