It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm
Posts: 2580
If you manage on any level, ideally you want to choose your workers. My concern will be that it will never be 'Arteta's team' as such and he could end up with working with what he's given not who he wants.

Appointing a puppet sorry to say. Worst fears confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:45 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 am
Posts: 6067
Location: AL Fantasy League: 564725-182113
Uh, who wouldn't he be allowed to choose? Mislintat and Sanllehi? That's what a continental setup is - you don't choose those people, they're on the same level with you on the hierarchy (or above). If Arteta could hire his own Director of Football and so forth that just means a total manager like Wenger with extra assistants.

It seems like we're clearing deck of a fair number of coaches and staff and allowing Arteta to bring his own in, so that's one area where I don't see anything strange going on.

If we mean how we're allegedly trying to buy players before we have a manager, again, I think that's the ups and downs of the continental model. I think a lot of fans have become irrationally fond of it just because they were disappointed with Wenger, but we've seen many ways in which the continental model can screw with managers by taking transfer policy away from them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 am
Posts: 765
Location: UK
So is Allegri already working under the similar structure at Juve? If so, it's bullshit that he wouldn't work because of our model and probably becomes more to do with the money unavailable. No one knows how much is there but the £50 million suggested won't be enough for what we need and any manager worth his salt will know that. Not sure how anyone, papers or other 'sources' have arrived at that figure incidentally.

I think it will definitely be Arteta (even though we're apparently going to talk to Henry next week - the pundit, not the hoover, although whether Stan would know that is another matter) and it has been going to be Arteta for a long time. Smoke and mirrors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 am 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 am
Posts: 6067
Location: AL Fantasy League: 564725-182113
For anyone like Allegri, I suspect it's a question of, will I get a better platform to succeed than at Juve, will I get a fair shot at enhancing my reputation? He already has it good at his current club. Unless his working environment there is deteriorating, he has no urgent need to go to another club unless it's a clear step up.

Arsenal, at the moment, is none of those. So even leaving aside possible issues over the board, backroom situation or funds, I don't think it's a guarantee that an Allegri or even a Tuchel or Jardim would want to come.

But yes, it looks like such a wink-wink not-subtle-at-all full on push for a man who has never managed a team before. I am simply trying to empty myself entirely of expectations. Maybe, even as we half-relegate, we will at least get a few months of watching Aubameyang?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:29 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm
Posts: 2580
arcaliea wrote:
Uh, who wouldn't he be allowed to choose? Mislintat and Sanllehi? That's what a continental setup is - you don't choose those people, they're on the same level with you on the hierarchy (or above). If Arteta could hire his own Director of Football and so forth that just means a total manager like Wenger with extra assistants.

It seems like we're clearing deck of a fair number of coaches and staff and allowing Arteta to bring his own in, so that's one area where I don't see anything strange going on.

If we mean how we're allegedly trying to buy players before we have a manager, again, I think that's the ups and downs of the continental model. I think a lot of fans have become irrationally fond of it just because they were disappointed with Wenger, but we've seen many ways in which the continental model can screw with managers by taking transfer policy away from them.


Of course not Mislintat and Sanllehi, along with the new contract negotiator I see all these as past of the hierarchy. I'm talking about the players.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:34 pm
Posts: 4510
Location: Kent
Whatever the set up, appointing Arteta is the typical cheapskate Arsenal. An unmitigated disaster. And the thought that someone not responsible for picking the team decides what players come in or out is just nonsense. Fair enough have someone in charge of recruitment bit his job should be getting the deal done for players the man.picking the team wants, not deciding on the players, that is just unworkable. I wanted Wenger out probably more than most but always felt there was nobody at the club that I trusted to replace him.properly, I mean what the fuck does Gazidis know about football anyway. Still when the stadium is half empty hopefully the Kroeke's will decide to bail out. My apathy towards all things Arsenal is at an unprecedented level.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:13 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 3388
Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
manuhater wrote:
Whatever the set up, appointing Arteta is the typical cheapskate Arsenal. An unmitigated disaster. And the thought that someone not responsible for picking the team decides what players come in or out is just nonsense. Fair enough have someone in charge of recruitment bit his job should be getting the deal done for players the man.picking the team wants, not deciding on the players, that is just unworkable. I wanted Wenger out probably more than most but always felt there was nobody at the club that I trusted to replace him.properly, I mean what the fuck does Gazidis know about football anyway. Still when the stadium is half empty hopefully the Kroeke's will decide to bail out. My apathy towards all things Arsenal is at an unprecedented level.


I think you are looking at it a little too simplstically. The club spent a lot of money on the StatDNA company they bought, and they needed somebody who embraces and understands statistical data along with a good eye for a player. That is where mislintat comes in. I'm pretty sure the manager/coach will have the final say on who he wants and the criteria, and Mislintat will compile a list based on his requirements and ask the manager to choose who he wants. The likes of Mislintat and Sanllehi haven't put a foot wrong so far in getting deals done so surely Gazidis should take some credit for that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:25 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 am
Posts: 837
I have this strange feeling that the club are pursuing Arteta not in the role of head coach/ manager, but as an assistant much in the way he is now under Guardiola. I hear (very few) fans who justify his possible appoint as Wengers replacement by saying he won the league at ManCity. This is crazy - we just don’t know how much of City’s success is down to Arteta. I doubt Arteta could ‘teach’ much to Guardiola in either as a coach or as a former player. Guardiola has been given a blockbusting new contract - I doubt Arteta staying/going makes the slightest bit of difference.

As an assistant for Wengers replacement much like for Guardiola, he can offer valuable Premier League insight to a foreign manager and that certainly helps. I’m not ruling out Allegri or maybe even Simione being the big appointment. Heck - I can see a Benítez Arteta coach team working much better than Arteta being the main man in charge.

Let’s give this board a chance!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 3388
Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
muckygooner wrote:
I have this strange feeling that the club are pursuing Arteta not in the role of head coach/ manager, but as an assistant much in the way he is now under Guardiola. I hear (very few) fans who justify his possible appoint as Wengers replacement by saying he won the league at ManCity. This is crazy - we just don’t know how much of City’s success is down to Arteta. I doubt Arteta could ‘teach’ much to Guardiola in either as a coach or as a former player. Guardiola has been given a blockbusting new contract - I doubt Arteta staying/going makes the slightest bit of difference.

As an assistant for Wengers replacement much like for Guardiola, he can offer valuable Premier League insight to a foreign manager and that certainly helps. I’m not ruling out Allegri or maybe even Simione being the big appointment. Heck - I can see a Benítez Arteta coach team working much better than Arteta being the main man in charge.

Let’s give this board a chance!


I think the board will supplement him with a world class coaching team. This will surely be beneficial to him in the short-term. I personally am excited about his appointment. I want champagne football and everything i'm reading and hearing about him suggests that we are going to get that with him at the helm. There must be something people see in him for him to skip managing youth teams to becoming an assistant manager. I don't know him personally but surely people can read into that?? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:47 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 pm
Posts: 500
Location: Cooperstown
manuhater wrote:
And the thought that someone not responsible for picking the team decides what players come in or out is just nonsense.

Why? That is exactly how the NBA, MLB, and most of the NFL operate. A General Manager is responsible for player personnel decisions and the coach coaches. There is collaboration between the two, but the balance of power varies with each situation. There are also examples where the coach holds both powers, such as Bill Belichick of the Patriots, but generally this is reserved for well proven coaches. In fact, when unproven coaches or even some proven coaches hold both powers, most fail and more often than not disastrously so.
I understand you are used to the traditional Football Manager/European Soccer model, but that is just not how the rest of the team sports models work. So to say that it is nonsense, is nonsense.

manuhater wrote:
...appointing Arteta is the typical cheapskate Arsenal. An unmitigated disaster.

Now, the first part may be true, and the second may yet come true, but the more I know about Arteta as a coach the more I am convinced it has a real chance to work here. Sure I would have loved him to have a couple years as a head coach and prove something, but that is just not the situation. It would be best to get the new coach announced soon so that some collaboration can occur prior to player acquisition, but with the World Cup and shortened window that maybe a luxury.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm
Posts: 2580
The difference in US Sports is that they've got a squad of what seems like a 1,000 players so can always alternate if a dud is signed. We'll have some well proven duds already occupying our squad our 25.

I'm with manuhater. I not a fan of the route we've gone down.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:47 pm 
Offline
Acclaimed member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:56 pm
Posts: 11216
Reports now that it is Unai Emery who will be confirmed as the next Arsenal manager.

It's a step up from Arteta at least. Not whom I would have chosen and I still am sceptical of him but happier with this appointment than some of the other names linked.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:58 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 am
Posts: 837
Tubz - I agree with you that Unai is not a top tier manager. However, we are not a top tier team on the pitch. Unai is young, and has already had good amount of experience at the top level. I’m happy and hopeful if we get him.

Were we seriously in for Arteta? If so, we might as well have asked Pat Rice to take over! Crazy to think that one of the biggest global brands in football was prepared to take on a new coach who has never managed a team before.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm
Posts: 2580
I think Unai Emery would be a very good appointment and I think had he achieved more at PSG (i.e. Champions League) he wouldn't be available. Hypotheticals aside, he's pretty much overachieved every where he has gone and done very well in doing so, aside from his stint in Russia. At PSG he didn't hit the heights they wanted but still done acceptably.

Won the European Coach of The Year not along ago. Think it's as good an appointment as could have been made personally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 am
Posts: 765
Location: UK
Certainly more encouraging than what seemed inevitable. Wait and see I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron