It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Who Will Be The New Manager?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:10 pm 

Read that the thing that impressed our board was Emery having a detailed dossier on every current Arsenal player and a plan. And he noted Aubameyang and Ramsey as the two key players he wanted to build around.

We may not get everything we want or need in this transfer window with only 50 mil, but I am looking for rehabilitation of some of the players we currently have, in particular Mustafi. Kolasinac and Xhaka also spring to mind, though Xhaka seemed to be getting it together the last third of the season. I wonder how Emery views Iwobi and if he thinks he can get him out of his rut and back on the road of development. Where will Maitland-Niles be utilized, will it be in the midfield? What of our other young players like Nelson? I also look for improvement from Bellerin. And Ramsey seeing as he is named as a key player to build the squad around. Interesting times we live in now.

Right now my expectations are at the bare minimum 6th with visible improvement within the squad. I think we should have a reasonable chance of returning to the top 4 and making a significant jump in performance which might not take hold until the second half of the season though.

I have been critical of Gazidis and the board, but we have finally moved Wenger on, brought in Sven and Sanheli, acquired Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan, and hired a new manager that is a better get than I expected for us. Grudgingly good moves all.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:17 pm 

manuhater wrote:
At least it isn't a complete rookie. What concerns me is this deluded view that Gazidis seems to have sold him that this squad can be put right with a net spend of 50mil. Quite where we'll get 2 top class central defenders, a top goalkeeper, and a revamp of midfield for that money is beyond me.

There was this great piece doing the rounds which explained the 50m:

https://shewore.com/2018/05/19/arsenals ... explained/

Basically, the 50m are spread out - or: amortised - over the length of a contract. For example, if we buy Sokratis for 20m on a 4 year contract, it will cost the club only 5m per year.

From the 50m, we could buy a 50m player on a 5 year deal (10m/year), two 30m players on 3 year deals (2x10m/year), two 20m players on 4 year deals (2x5m/year) and still have 10m to spare for the next year. (And this doesn't include the money we might make from selling players.)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:40 pm 
Acclaimed member

Firstly, welcome to Arsenal Mr Emery!

Glad to have him here especially if Arteta was the other main front runner, he's got a good track record and I'm genuinely excited to see how he can change the team. And his first priority for me has to be changing from within - we have a flawed squad but his biggest asset will be to see how he can improve upon what we already have. Whereas Wenger had the approach of letting players work things out for themselves this guy seems to have more about him tactically and I think we can improve the team simply with better direction and instruction from the manager, if he can do that then we might even fid that the amount of additions required isn't as many as we all currently think. I can't possibly imagine wholesale changes straight away anyway, I think any manager worth his salt realises that's not realistic

In terms of the budget, transfers in etc I'm not too worried on that front, no-one can expect to build a team to win big trophies in just a season even with an astronomical budget and I think it's best to view it as an ongoing project over a few seasons. Anyone expecting more than that is, frankly, delusional so patience is required here. We're not paupers by any means (no PL is really) and if we're capable of getting a player like Aubamayang for under £50m then I think we can buy a few capable players for decent deals. Watch this space on that front I suppose.

Be very interesting though to see who the new man will deem dispensable from the current crop though. That part perhaps intrigues me the most at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7