It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GDPR - IS ARSENAL LAND CLOSING DOWN?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:09 pm 

I must admit that the forum has been very quiet of late and I have every so often logged in and found not much had changed, but that has not worried me, however this really does.

It isn't just here, a lot of sites that I frequent are saying the same things, these sites like this have been going for as long as I can remember in some way or another. It always seems that the big boys get away with murder and the small fry are left to die out in a corner, if there is a way round it then I would love this site to continue.

Definitely do not want to go to facebook, I do use it often but it would detract from my enjoyment when I'm here, I love the forum layout, forums give something way different to what facebook does, in my personal opinion.

A friend of mine owns a taxi company (only 4 cars) the work that he is going to have to do for GDPR means that he will not have any time to concentrate on his business as he cannot afford to pay anyone else to administrate it all, especially when it is the rules of his council's licencing that customer details need to be kept for 6 months.

The only way round it is the whole Brexit thing (not giving political opinions either way), surely this is probably another thing that would be "lost" after brexit, question is what does it get replaced by??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 pm 
Trialist

swanny200 - you are so right.

As a small business owner I am quite lucky as we do not have mailing lists, huge customer databases etc - I know all my clients by name and many of them I know where they live - but I run sites for people who do, they are jumping through hoops all over the place and FB can lose 57billion of the share value without it changing a thing.

BTW this is not a Brexit issue (not offering any opinion, let's not open that can'o'worms), leave or stay the GDPR still apply, the US also have to through the same hoops if they wish to trade with the EU or even have their site visible to the EU.

I get the point of it all, but it's so complicated - the rules are still being written, I called the ICO and asked for answers to some questions and they told me that the wasn't enough in place to let me know either way - helpful as the rules come in at the end of May...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:17 am 

We don't seem to be able to come up with a good enough idea.

Will be a shame to see AL closing. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:29 pm 

Sad times indeed :(

Any news on a final date?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:11 am 
Trialist

Is it possible to compose a message which explains that the forum is not GDPR compliant with an explanation of what that means.

Then
1. Send the message to current members offering the option to remain. Remove those who do not accept (and their posts ?)

2. Insert it in the registration process for new members.

Surely if you have a group of people who are happy to use the forum as it is how can there be objections.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:04 am 

Sounds reasonable. I hate it when some random nimrod makes changes supposedly for my benefit when all it does is affect me negatively.

There are other sites but while I would like a little more traffic here, I don't want to post something and then see I have 20 replies ranging from agreement to disgreement to abuse. I also like typing longer posts without being told I'm just writing essays.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 am 

norma wrote:
Is it possible to compose a message which explains that the forum is not GDPR compliant with an explanation of what that means.

Then
1. Send the message to current members offering the option to remain. Remove those who do not accept (and their posts ?)

2. Insert it in the registration process for new members.

Surely if you have a group of people who are happy to use the forum as it is how can there be objections.

I don't think you can just opt out of GDPR.

As a PhpBB-based forum, we are certainly not alone with our problem. There are people working on PhpBB extensions that comply to GDPR. See, for example, here: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2464776

Toby, I guess you are reading these threads yourself. Can you estimate how much time it would need for you to implement such an extension if it would be GDPR compliant? In other words, would such an extension help us if it was developed, or is Arsenal Land so outdated that it would be a much more difficult job than just one extension?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

Although I hardly post these days I do frequently drop in to read threads so I'd definitely be up for any options that would allow for the forum to remain open.

That said, I'd actually probably participate more frequently if that element were to transfer over to social media because I use it more. I know people would have reservations on that and rightly so but it is possible to have a community that thrives on the likes of Facebook etc, a fine example is the WFPI group which I read regularly and occasionally post on. It might actually be a good way to expand the readership and amount of participants too and although more isn't always necessarily better this community would benefit from thriving again.

Btw thank you Toby for all your efforts on this and know that it's appreciated. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 am 
Acclaimed member

If there are any trusted members resident in Asia, moving the forum to servers away from European jurisdiction might be a way out.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 pm 

Well, we don't seem to have any real solutions, so I assume the site will be closing? Do we have a final date? Please tell me if I am wrong.

If the forum is closing or moving to Facebook or a Facebook format I will be looking to try another forum. As someone suggested earlier we could collectively migrate to one of the other forums. I have tried looking recently at some. It felt like having a funeral before the person is actually dead. Anyway here are my 5 minute assessments.

Goonersworld - seems to be the biggest. There are a lot of members who have 30,000 posts and are yet to say anything of substance. The match threads are a disaster, consisting mostly of so and so sucks repeated over and over. Good news is there are threads with more substance, but depth seems lacking overall.

Onlinegooner (Gooner2Gooner) - quite active with fewer commenters than Goonersworld. Decent basic level of comment. This is probably where I would try moving to unless others have a better suggestion.

Arsenal-mania - had a constantly scrolling bottom banner that I couldn't stand long enough make any sort of assessment.

Goonersweb - probably the smallest of the sites I looked at, which if we all moved there we would have the chance make the biggest collective influence.

There were a couple others that though they still exist haven't had any active posts in a year or more.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:21 pm 
Acclaimed member

Arsenal Mania is awful.

Full of ads to the point where the site is so laggy its virtually unusable. Very active member base and with a lot of members, but it is low-grade.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:48 am 
Trialist

If the phpBB community come up with versions or extensions to allow compliance for NEW forums (which I would assume would be easier than for existing forums) could we remove all the data from this forum and restart it with the same structure (after notifying all current members that they would need to register again) ?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
norma wrote:
If the phpBB community come up with versions or extensions to allow compliance for NEW forums (which I would assume would be easier than for existing forums) could we remove all the data from this forum and restart it with the same structure (after notifying all current members that they would need to register again) ?

I agree, we've got to try something. I enjoy posting here and don't relly want to see it go. Surely PHPBB has GDPR Compliant modules.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 pm 
Trialist

Evening peeps,

I am just finish work for the day, sorry I have been quiet on this - far too busy (GDPR has the MD in after 10pm so it must be serious!)

You are right that you cannot opt out of GDPR (I wish we could, job done), also moving the servers would not make any difference as the server would then also not be allowed to be viewed in the EU (or the UK after next year)

There are so many things needed to be updated that it is incredibly hard to chop and change and so the potential closure of the forum as is sounds like the only option (sad)... But the ICO are being slow on the uptake, so we have a little while longer (yay).

We could look at killing off THIS forum and opening afresh with a brand new install of the latest version and little to no other formatting (to make it a quick update) - I don't have time to deal with it this week.

And TBH I haven't seen anything from phpbb showing me that their forum is compliant, other than a quick "yeah, we are" post. If I were them, I would be crying into my gin about now.

Chances are a new forum would have a few (not huge amounts) of adverts, as there are costs involved in GDPR compliance (not huge, but a small annual cost) - and would def have to include some social media stuff.

Woody (thanks BTW :thumbup:) is right that readership is down and FB could help this. This is true on pretty much every forum we/I have ever created once Facebook introduced private groups as it does cover much of what is needed. It is also now true that Facebook usage is down, so go figure!

I might see if I can nab all the emails tonight and send something out (before Friday).

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:01 pm 

Thanks for the update, Toby :thumbup: