It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GDPR - IS ARSENAL LAND CLOSING DOWN?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:16 am 
Trialist

OK, hopefully some more positive news... I have had a think!!?!

So if we are happy to kill off the current forum and start afresh with asking users to re-register, then there is the possibility that I could build a more simple forum (thread/posts etc) which misses out all the stuff which phpbb adds in which is so far for compliant (storing of un-encrypted user data, IP address and things like internal messages, which are rather dodgy from any compliance point of view).

A simpler life!

It would have links to Facebook et al, and users could log in with their FB accounts to try to make membership simpler and get new members, but you would not have to use FB and could create a Arsenal-Land.co.uk account directly through the new forum.

TBH if I wrote the code, then I know that it is compliant, so I wouldn't need to fuss so much 8-)

However, it will not be this week, eh?

The simple features I would suggest:

1. Post a thread
2. Comment on thread
3. Potentially up/down vote comments (I quite like the idea of "back of the net" and "own goal")
4. Tag a thread (eg "Match Day" or "FA Cup" etc to filter the forum
6. Some of you guys as moderators
6. Report/abuse
7. Block users
8. Simple users registration: Public Name, Username, email and password (double or single ended encrypted where necessary)

Everything linked from a home page.

Anyone think this is bonkers? Or have any other comments? The other solutions look terminal!

Bish bash bosh, I'm off down the pub (it's a bit early even for me!)

Mic drop?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:52 am 

That's a 'back of the net'-post, Toby! :chill:

But seriously, it would be great if you could just set up a new, very simple forum with the features you named. I would really appreciate that. I don't think it needs much more than what you have listed. Up- and downvoting posts is a great idea!

Personally, I am not in favour of integrating Facebook links: Even if you can log in if you don't use Facebook, there will still be cookies on the site.

Thanks for your work Toby, much appreciated! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 am 
Trialist

Quote:
Personally, I am not in favour of integrating Facebook links: Even if you can log in if you don't use Facebook, there will still be cookies on the site.

Cookies are less of an issue if we have control of the code, and giving people options is a good thing - you don't have to use FB to log in, it's just a way of getting more people involved in the debate(s)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 am 

Definitely up for that, at least we can get back to talking Arsenal rather than rules.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:25 pm 
Acclaimed member

Sure, I'd be very happy with that.

No need to do too much work on setting up features - I'd even say, personally, that the likes of #3 are a detriment on quality conversation, as people care more about how many likes/upvotes/retweets your message has rather than engage with the substance. But yes, no big fuss either way, a simple forum would do great.

Either way much appreciate it Toby.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 am 

Seconded, thanks, Toby.

Sounds really good. Only thing I'd change would be any links to Facebook or Twatter. I've just re read the 'Improving the forum/forum stats' thread from several years back and there seems to be a consensus that having a family, job or other responsibilities combined with clunky mobile access has led to a dearth of current and new members.

I'm very much in the minority here, as I screwed up my personal life many years ago and doubled up by losing my professional life, so I know I will have more time than others to read and respond. But when I wasn't a complete failure, I still managed to post and enjoy the contributions of others.

I'm pretty sure that most people have a family, job, endangered species to save etc, yet in an age where most people walk around staring at their hand like an adolescent who is worried his palms may get hairy, where people find the time to share pictures of their latest sprog with an ice cream on its head or can LOL at others and still find time to tell strangers they just ate an avocado brioche, I'm pretty sure most people would have the time to use Arsenal Land accordingly.

Only other query regards the moderating. Unless I'm wrong, the only mod here is Jules - he would know better than I, but in the short term, would we need other mods? We seem to be fairly self aware here, although that could obviously change and that's in no way meant to detract from the hard work Jules does here (please don't take it that way, Jules, you've always responded to my pms and helped me out :thumbup: )

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:41 pm 
Acclaimed member

Thanks for your efforts, Toby.

My only change would be not to have the 'upvote/downvote' as it's gimmicky and doesn't lead to content engagement. Although with our current userbase, that wouldn't matter either way.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:08 pm 
Acclaimed member

I echo the sentiments of others and say thank you Toby for coming up with a solution.

For what it is worth, I am also not a fan of option 3 on your list. But if it means keeping the forum then so be it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 am 

Emperor wrote:
Only other query regards the moderating. Unless I'm wrong, the only mod here is Jules - he would know better than I, but in the short term, would we need other mods? We seem to be fairly self aware here, although that could obviously change and that's in no way meant to detract from the hard work Jules does here (please don't take it that way, Jules, you've always responded to my pms and helped me out :thumbup: )

For the record: I am not moderating at all right now. :lol: We only have a handful of active threads and a couple of posts per week anyway, and, as you say, the remaining users a pretty self-aware and well-mannered. There's nothing to moderate right now.

The odd double post here and there would have to be deleted, but maybe that's even something the users can do themselves (if possible from a technical viewpoint)?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

Get in Toby! Love the ideas you've described. Assuming that this is the way to go and everyone agrees with that, when would you be looking to implement?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 pm 
Trialist

Hoping to have something soon... Next week?

I have built a basic forum, just sexing it up and adding boring functionality into it

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:24 pm 
Trialist

May be too late now but I see that Wordpress offers plugins to create forums and to provide GDPR compliance. Could that be an option ?