It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Improving the forum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm 

Hello mods et al,

Just wondering if you could provide any site statistics? The forum used to be fairly busy, now there are a handful of us posting. I don't bother much these days as its only a few of us repeating the same arguments again and again. Just wondering how this compares to say a year or two ago statistically?

Post subject: Re: Forum Stats
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:19 am 

I don't know whether site statistics exist, at least for moderators there are none we could access. Corny will be able to give a definite answer to this, obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:52 am 

robinyourpersie wrote:
Hello mods et al,

Just wondering if you could provide any site statistics? The forum used to be fairly busy, now there are a handful of us posting. I don't bother much these days as its only a few of us repeating the same arguments again and again. Just wondering how this compares to say a year or two ago statistically?

I think this is probably the reason for the reduction in site traffic. It's not because we're not winning things anymore but because its like Groundhog Day at Arsenal these days. Same problems drag on and on, same pale lifeless performances, same inability to defend or handle any pressure whatsoever and the same inactivity in the transfer market. There really isn't much else to say...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am 

I think the reduction in traffic has a little to do with Twitter. A lot more people are using twitter for their football news because it's quick, easy and portable. I think forums in general are falling away and eventually everyone will communicate via Twitter, Facebook and Blogs.

Follow me @matty_f :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 pm 

I think all the different media will serve their purpose. Maybe I'm too old (I'm actually not), but I find Twitter to be loud as ****. Everyone just shouting all over everyone else. Maybe it's a sign of the world we live in. I have two twitter accounts (personal and business) and I just can't be bothered checking it too often. There's far too much noise to sift through to get to good, quality information.

Even when you use hashtags, with all the retweets that people do, you end up reading the same message 20 times in 3 minutes. Also, the 140 character thing just encourages everyone to throw out little outbursts every 10 seconds.

I love the pace of the forum, though. It has slowed down recently, but I check in every day to see if something new's been posted.

Again, maybe I'm just out of touch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:01 pm 

Well I despise, with a passion, Facebook and Twitter and do not have accounts. Forums will have to do :D

The forum has slowed down a fair bit with certain posters (whose posts I did tend to look out for) for example Brian Badonde, prolific and AdmiringArsene as well as others MIA, for sometime now. As to why, I can only speculate. Maybe it is down to these other forms of social media, maybe its down to they way Arsenal are performing, maybe its because of posters here or maybe its just people are busier than me :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 pm 
Managing Editor

The forum is quieter for sure. I'm on a lot less due to work and I think Twitter has been another big factor too. Perhaps that the forum hasn't changed much in format has been another issue. I am thinking about offering the running over to other fans with more time. Perhaps a site merger or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:14 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

Corny wrote:
The forum is quieter for sure. I'm on a lot less due to work and I think Twitter has been another big factor too. Perhaps that the forum hasn't changed much in format has been another issue. I am thinking about offering the running over to other fans with more time. Perhaps a site merger or something like that.

As I mentioned I'd be happy to talk to you about taking it on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 am 

Corny, if my opinion is of any interest here, it's probably a good idea to offer the running to someone with more time. (What is a site merger though?)

-Jk- wrote:
As I mentioned I'd be happy to talk to you about taking it on.

-Jk- would certainly have my support as our new leader! :cheerer:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am 
Trialist

Morning everyone,

Apologies for being so quiet on the technical issues, I don't think the stats are as bleak as thought and I will try to give you an idea, if not of exact numbers, then the overall feeling.

I have to agree with the idea that other forms of media are more instantly accessible than forums, but the community is still the important part of Arsenal Land - which is something which the noise of Twitter and the clunkiness of Facebook do not always have.

I have noticed over the last couple of months (in Google Analytics) a slight decline in site visits - and this really does follow the trend of "bad results = bad hits". I think a feeling of "it's already over this season" may also be a contributing factor.

However, the site stats are still pretty "busy" and for a site of this nature are very positive reading.

Here's a exciting graph:

The site normally ticks along on the central line and is higher (or has huge spikes) when things are happening with the club. The results in January are typical of the site over the last 12 months, Feb is when the site seems to have slowed.

NB the was a Google update in Jan, but I don't feel that this was much of a factor to the core base of followers.

I believe that Corny and myself are in the same boat; I took on the rebuild and the technical side of AL when I was a lowly self-employed web developer and within months of launching the new look site my business exploded to a point where I am now an MD(!) and I found less time to help to run the site and create and major improvements.

If there is someone who is able to work with Corny and myself, then this could very well be an opportunity to inject some fresh blood into the site and move the site forwards.

Until then keep the faith...

Ta
Toby

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:50 am 

I might be playing Devil's Advocate a little here but could I also offer another explantion for the drop in activity. And by activity, I don't mean people logging in to read threads/posts as I do, but actual posting and involvement itself.

For a while now, this forum has been pretty over-moderated IMHO. A lot of the fun that folk would try to have in amongst the serious debates, would be removed. Any posts that strayed even ever so slightly off topic would be removed and you'd end up getting a PM by one of the moderators to let you know you've been bad.

"Industrial" language is a big no-no (unless it's in a matchday thread as a match is being played and commented on). Sure, I can string a sentence together without swearing, but I may not want to - I might want to throw a few "F's" into the fray, to express my feelings a tad more :)

Plus the attaching of a new thread to an older one for maybe the same player, so others do not feel they can start new threads. Eboue might have bought himself a brand new pair of shiny yellow boots, so that gets linked to the Eboue signing professional terms at 16 thread.

Be honest folks - it may be the right thing to do to keep the forum nice and sprightly etc etc (as I've had pointed out to me on a few occassions), BUT it still detracts from the total enjoyment and feel of the place.

Just my thoughts - anyone else wanna hold their hands up and express an honest view too?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:22 pm 

It hasn't been 'over-moderated' for a while now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:27 pm 

Dannyg wrote:
It hasn't been 'over-moderated' for a while now.

you're probably right Dannyg, and i'll hold my hands up and admit i'm no innocent party but have been 'over-moderated' in the past IMO, but maybe this was a bigger issue than many thought and it made a lot of forum members seek their Arsenal fix elsewhere because of it.

Just something else to throw in the mix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:52 pm 
Acclaimed member

I disagree that it has been over-moderated - since a couple of years ago when it was in my opinion over-moderated (which was discussed in a similar forum thread and I think I recall a compromise was met between forum members and the moderators), I have found the overall level of moderating better than that particular period.

Generally though, I think the problem is the catch-22 situation we have with quality of posts and how you resolve it I do not know. Discussions / arguments can get very in depth on here and sometimes quite heated, which is fine if you don't mind that but for some posters that can be a bit scary, particular when posts of a certain nature are getting pounced upon from a great height from other members, including myself. I think its a reason why some of the more light-hearted members have moved on and why there is a general lower proportion of new posters on here - you have to be prepared to defend your views otherwise you will get shot down, sometimes quite spectacularly. However, at the same time you have to maintain forum quality, it's the biggest strength of this place compared to other forums out there.

Of course, I am as guilty of this as anyone is of the above points but I want this place to be busy, creating debate and views and if that means compromising on some things then so be it, I'm willing to do that in order to create a better posting environment for new members. There is always a turnover of members naturally anyway since members have lives away from this place but I am all for encouraging new opinions on here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 pm 

Corny, perhaps you are closer to this. But do you know why the Honorary Members and the 'in the know' Acclaimed Members have moved on / don't post as often?

That was a major pull for me, I felt when I joined that I could come to the forum and learn through what read and debated. I don't see it that way anymore, and I think it was down to their participation.

I know this is retarded, but it was more of a saloon bar then, now it's a Slug and Lettuce... :drunk:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next