It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Benik Afobe [Loan to Bolton]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:07 pm 
Managing Editor

Benik Afobe has joined Bolton Wanderers on a season-long loan.
http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-ne ... the-season

The 19-year-old striker makes a return to the Championship having completed a successful loan spell with Reading at the end of last term, where he made three appearances as the Royals secured the league title and promotion to the Premier League.

The England youth international has since enjoyed a strong pre-season for both club and country.

He played a key role in this summer’s Under-19 European Championship in Estonia, scoring twice as the Three Lions reached the semi-finals. Benik also took part in Arsenal’s Asia Tour 2012, where he was involved in all three fixtures in the Far East.

In heading to the Reebok Stadium, the Barnet-born youngster follows in the footsteps of Arsenal team-mates Jack Wilshere and Ryo, who have both gained valuable first-team experience with Owen Coyle’s side in recent seasons.

Everyone at the Club wishes Benik well for his time at Bolton.

Post subject: Re: Benik Afobe [Loan to Bolton]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:14 pm 
Acclaimed member

He looked like a player who needs to really develop his game so he can make more impacts in game and be a bit sharper in his finishing at the 19 tournament.

There is quite a bit of potential in him, not just in terms of raw pace and power, so hopefully he can keep fit and Coyle can help mold him. Certainly with the current set of strikers, if he does well in training then he should get game time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:58 pm 

It's a good move for Afobe, what with Coyle being an ex-Forward and having very good pedigree in The Championship during which time he favoured a 4-4-2 with Burnley. It will be a good challenge for Afobe too as they have three good forwards who he'll have to try and dislodge.

Kevin Davies is a powerhouse and will thrive on The Championship. David N'Gog cost a fair few quid and I expect Coyle will be hoping a lesser league will help him kick start his career. Then there's Sordell whose fantastic exploits in The Championship led him to signing for Bolton.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:53 am 

Came on as a sub vs Tranmere last night and bagged a hat trick. Not a bad start!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:11 pm 
Acclaimed member

On the goal trail tonight, netting an opener for Bolton in the Cup away to Crawley.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:58 pm 

He has been called back to arsenal today. He can get some chances this half year to play. With Giroud only as a real striker, Afobe will be the best option as back up. Good choice from Wenger to bring him back. This half season will be a break or make for Afobe's career at Arsenal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm 
Acclaimed member

Not recalled, Bolton sent him back. Average performances and poor attitude apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 pm 

3 goals in 28 games for them. Why am I not getting excited about this lad. Keep him away from the 1st team, is all I can say.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:05 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
bengulnaci1 wrote:
3 goals in 28 games for them. Why am I not getting excited about this lad. Keep him away from the 1st team, is all I can say.

Harsh. He had a brilliant season last year on loan. This year he has a new team, new system, different teammates sometimes it just doesn't work. Doesn't mean he is not a good player because he had a bad loan spell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:42 pm 

Team South East wrote:
bengulnaci1 wrote:

Harsh. He had a brilliant season last year on loan. This year he has a new team, new system, different teammates sometimes it just doesn't work. Doesn't mean he is not a good player because he had a bad loan spell.

Maybe. Just not convinced he is good enough for Arsenal. I am of the opinion, if a player is not good enough however young, just let them go. T be honest, the way the Club has been working recently, it does appear that they are doing exactly that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:58 pm 

Not sure he is good enough but those stats are misleading as his starts have been very few. Its mainly Sordell's form keeping him out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:33 am 

Never heard of him having a bad attitude before, maybe lack of starts has frustrated him. They'll soon get to the bottom of it back at training.

These loans don't seem to be working at the moment, anyone seen Ryo lately too?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 am 

Wasn't Afobe loaned to a Bolton side managed by Owen Coyle? I'm sure the manager change must have hampered his chances somewhat- the new manager would need results and probably couldn't risk playing someone so young so often.

He is supposed to be very talented, though. I just hope something happens before his talent gets flushed down the plug-hole. Perhaps we could give him a run-out against Blackburn...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:02 am 

Dannyg wrote:
Wasn't Afobe loaned to a Bolton side managed by Owen Coyle? I'm sure the manager change must have hampered his chances somewhat- the new manager would need results and probably couldn't risk playing someone so young so often.

He is supposed to be very talented, though. I just hope something happens before his talent gets flushed down the plug-hole. Perhaps we could give him a run-out against Blackburn...

Yep and agree. Also, I think he was injured somewhere between the managerial changes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:56 am 
Acclaimed member

Afobe to join Millwall on loan

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... ll-on-loan

Benik Afobe has agreed to join Championship side Millwall on loan for the remainder of the 2012/13 season. The 19-year-old striker, who was part of Arsenal’s first team squad for the 2012 pre-season tour of Asia, spent the first six-months of this campaign on loan with Bolton Wanderers, where he made 23 appearances, scoring three times. An England Under-21 international, Afobe started for Stuart Pearce’s Three Lions in Tuesday’s 4-0 victory over Sweden and officially joins Kenny Jackett’s side on Friday, in order to gain further competitive first team experience.