It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: West Brom v Arsenal
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 pm 
Acclaimed member

Nobody had the stomach for this, huh? :wave:

Awful. Even when we were comfortable, we are a team with no plan, no tactics, and whoever doesn't have a broken leg just gets on the pitch somewhere. Not sure what space Walcott was meant to run into, or Welbeck for that matter, who spent the first hour entirely invisible except for all the times he missed the balls put through right to his feet. Nothing happens until Alexis tries something, gets fouled, then commentators congratulate on a 'very good foul'. There is no such thing as a 'very good foul', you unethical moron.

Then we took a time travel ship back to 2006 for some classic Arsenal corner defending. Third goal was amazing - Ramsey looks at his man and ignores him (again), Ox does the same, Bellerin does the same, and then there were so many Brom attackers heading that ball they were almost defending against each other.

Mustafi sees the through ball behind him and saunters back, if he was running he might have been able to block the rebound. Then he gets eaten for breakfast by Robson-Kanu to nearly give away a goal - and then almost gets it done to him again two minutes later.

Sigh. And where's Ozil, bird flu?

Post subject: Re: West Brom v Arsenal
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 pm 

Apparently this is the first time WBA have beaten a top 10 side all season! This would have been a good opportunity to stop the rot. I agree that there appears to be no plan tactics or desire - something I have seen bubble to the surface for a good 4 years or so.

I think something serious has happened behind the scenes - perhaps Wenger has lost the dressing room? If that's the case wenger needs to go NOW even if he is not to fault. Ideally if he can stop the rot in the next game I would leave want him to make it clear that he will not sign a new contract, and for the love of the club prepare the squad for a planned handover to his successor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:35 pm 
Acclaimed member

We've played similarly listless, horrible zombie football in previous seasons when we screwed up all of the horse races by march, but too many things have happened season - the weird shutout of Xhaka early on and then the complete inability to use him properly all season; the even stranger shutout of Lucas even though he has actually been good; Alexis' frustrations; Ozil's form and confidence and happiness in life falling off the planet like all of his friends died... there's just so much gone wrong.

Usually, an Arsenal season involves injuries and accidents to all the key pieces, while one or two players have a heroic season to make up for the gloom. This season, several players who haven't been injured has also declined in ability (Coquelin, Monreal), and one of the only positives has been frustrated all season.

I'm prepared for the Dark Ages when Wenger goes, since I have no faith that the club is able to replace manager, staff, and players with ruthlessness. It's not even "I prefer Dark Ages to more Wenger", there simply is no choice now but for him to go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:02 am 
Acclaimed member

Whoever it is setting up our defensive corner routines needs to sort their shit out. That was farcical and I'd like to hear an explanation from Ramsey what he was attempting to do on both of the corner goals, particularly the latter.

We had half a player on the pitch today and that was Sanchez in the opening 45 before he picked up an injury. The rest of them may as well not have bothered making the journey. Wankers. There are far too many players stealing their wages and whilst the ongoing nonsense over Wenger's future doesn't help, there needs to be a swift injection of character. At the moment they are as bad as the Leicester mob.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 am 
Acclaimed member

The players are not playing for the club anymore. Some players are self-motivated but most are just going through the motions. I do not see why any fans at the moment would pay for a ticket to watch this and we can't keep having fans going just to boo the team and hurl vitriol at Wenger either.

We need action at the club off the field. If Wenger is going to stay then just announce it. If not, announce it and get under way finding his successor. Stop this limbo rubbish because it is dragging the club down. We need someone to take control of the situation. Normally it is Wenger who sorts us out but this time he is the problem here so stop the mundane messages from our "chairman" and someone senior please clarify the position. It's the only way this situation will get resolved.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:56 pm 
Acclaimed member

I don't think morale in the camp is good, the limbo over the future won't help and when you need to be 100% at it nowadays, those things are going to hit hard. Nor does the team seemingly set up to play to West Brom strengths helping. We know they got six at the back against the big teams, pack the centre but we had the right idea on the left with Monreal and Sanchez till he got clobbered but Wenger probably should have taken off Sanchez earlier when clear he was becoming a passenger. We needed a similar combo on the right but for some reason, either player or manager, Walcott since his return to the flank has been alwayss drifting inside and playing to the right of the striker rather then as a winger. This was fine when he would also peel wide as it meant defenders didn't know where he would be but nowadays, he doesn't try to stick wide but does the same thing. Right into the packed West Brom centre, leaving Bellerin against two wide players. The one time Walcott went wide, he actually got in a dangerous cross then returned to the anonymity of the centre.

West Brom had two major routes to hurt us as they have a lot of teams this season. 1) Setplays. We had a week to prepare for this, work on our setplay defending but felt like we had practised "how not to defend setplays" and we took that into the game. 2) Counter-attacks, West Brom would sit deep then try to release their wingers or Rondon on the break. I imagine Xhaka, not a shield, was meant to be our shield out of the midfield three but whoever was delegated the task, didn't happen. Our fullbacks always flooded forward, our midfielders didn't drop in and so we were constantly facing counter-attacks with our exposed centrebacks high up the pitch and having to race back. Why against a strong counter-attacking team, leave yourself so open?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 pm 

It's the mixed signals that get me, Arsene Wenger has apparently told nobody of his decision, only he knows and he will not announce it until after the international break.

So a whole team of players, coaching staff and board have no idea of what he is going to do, the board seem gutless anyway that if he was to all of a sudden go "you know what.. I'm going to stay for another 10 years or until I'm carried out in a coffin" the board at the moment would happily hand him such a contract. That attitude in itself, the indecisiveness would probably be enough to affect morale, I just didn't think it would have affected it so badly, we also have the ego's in the dressing room, the whole Sanchez situation, he has on many occasions this season given attitude to force his way at times, would a different manager have sorted it out by now, I know the guy is passionate but risking making an injury worse surely shows bad judgement and a manager should manage, not let his team decide what to do, which is what they seem to be doing.

Case in point being players coming out saying that they were not doing what they were told to do on set pieces, if your players are not doing what they have been told to do, you don't continue to play them and look like you have just let them get on with it.

An interesting tweet was put up last night, surely his family can see the toll that it is taking on him now, why doesn't someone close to him say something, or is he that bullish?

The majority of the press and fans seem to believe that he is away, he has to be gone, surely it is time up.... But yet he is still sending his scouts out to sound out players for summer transfers. Surely if you are leaving, you wouldn't send scouts out and have scouts sounding out players if you had no intention of signing them especially when your potential successor may not have any interest in these players, Arsene Wenger's target list may be wholly different to my A.N Other's.

So many confusing signs, fans just want answers, some transparency, the fact that Silent Stan probably doesn't realize that this is our worst run since 1995, that we now have a club that is a laughing stock, players that have no faith in their team and a manager that seems clueless is even more damming.

This has been happening for weeks and of course it had to be Pulis and whichever Anti-Arsenal, Anti-Football team that he is managing that gets the victory.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:14 pm 

So nobody is going to mention the planes?

I laughed about Man Utd fans chartering planes to fly over Old Trafford to get rid of van Gaal. I was sure we would never sink that low.

It is obvious that Wenger has no control over what happens on the pitch anymore. Yet again, we had so much time to prepare for the game, and we end up being so vulnerable and clueless.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:14 pm 

Not matter how you feel about Wenger them players were a disgrace yesterday . No fight, no leadership and zero desire. It certainly looks like the players have stopped playing for him. Our remaining fixtures aren't to easy either. I can seriously see us finishing around 6th this season or 5th at best.

I don't think there's no quick fix to the situation we find ourselves in. We have to face up to the fact we're gonna have a few years of mid table football.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:47 pm 

Why are we so sure that we'll be mid-table?

On paper, this is the strongest squad we've had in a decade. We have a decent mix of true talent, along with experience and some grit. Wenger was able to eke out a lot more out of truly horrible teams in the past. At the very least, they seemed to buy into his philosophy and gave it all on the pitch. We weren't great, but we didn't constantly get beaten 3-1, 5-1, etc. We were getting to CL quarter finals, and even a semi-final back then, too.

He's definitely not getting the most out of this lot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:14 pm 

garthgooner wrote:
Why are we so sure that we'll be mid-table?

On paper, this is the strongest squad we've had in a decade. We have a decent mix of true talent, along with experience and some grit. Wenger was able to eke out a lot more out of truly horrible teams in the past. At the very least, they seemed to buy into his philosophy and gave it all on the pitch. We weren't great, but we didn't constantly get beaten 3-1, 5-1, etc. We were getting to CL quarter finals, and even a semi-final back then, too.

He's definitely not getting the most out of this lot.

This teams needs Major surgery and with all the uncertainty around our manager and not being in the champions league I can't see us having a good 2017/2018 season..

By my reckoning this is what we need.

New left back..
New centre half..
New right back to push Bellerin
New holding midfielder
New striker to replace Sanchez
New number 10 to replace Ozil.

Factor all this with a board that have no clue about football or appointing a new manager I'm worried.
Also Tottenham, Liverpool and even Manchester United are no longer teams we can laugh at. They have now surpassed us.

We already don't spend big on players so without champions league I wouldn't hold your breath on getting suitable replacements.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 pm 
Acclaimed member

It's not about the lack of talent - this squad has plenty of that. The question is whether players we can currently see can't be arsed to do the most basic things, can be made to actually perform according to their ability.

And you know what, if it turns out that they just didn't want to play for Wenger, and next season everyone starts busting a gut for John Manager, I will never respect any of these players, or sing their name again. With the fans, at least I can understand the frustration of watching us fail the same way for 12 years; with most of these players, you've been here one, two, three years and in most cases you'll have been treated very well by Wenger. To throw in the towel and play like a bunch of limp dicks is to piss on the Arsenal shirt and a manager that, for all his flaws, has done more for the club than most of these players combined.

That's what pains me about this meltdown process. OK, so Wenger's position seems untenable and he seems unable to turn it around, that's sad but we knew one day that would happen. But such is the incompetence and lack of commitment shown by many of the players and board, it feels like it's going to be difficult to support this Arsenal side when (possibly) a new manager's leading them out in September.

Time and again I've criticised people/media for making up wild theories about what's going on, so I certainly hope what I see with the players falls into that category, and that it's tactics and confidence and other such things that are stopping them from being any good right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:06 am 
Trialist

Has our season gone tits up since we started to have doubt about Sanchez's new contract?
Also we need David Dein back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:09 am 
Acclaimed member

It is probably not that payers have turned against Wenger and are downing tools, we aren't getting the briefings from the dressing rooms that Leicester, Boro and early Jose Man U got or the open criticisms. We have had a Sanchez row but one row is as far as it has got.

Nowadays it is about getting that extra few percentage points (so no more turning up drunk) and the tactics against West Brom clearly did not help. If the players are demoralized, if the negative atmosphere around the club is cutting through, that is going to have an impact on their performances. If the players are trying their best but no longer feel Wenger is the right man to lead them, performances are going to dip. Even if some (and only some remotely owe Wenger)feel an obligation to Wenger, if they don't believe he has what it takes then that is still going to hit performances. A new manager may well get a boost for awhile by being new, by the end of a negative atmosphere, by restoring a bit of hope.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 pm 

I couldn't bring myself to post on here until now. I was absolutely fuming.

These players of ours are doing a very good impersonation of a Ranieri led 2nd season Leicester. The utter ******* insert any number of abusive terms.

They come out in the press with their usual excuses and then go on underperforming and what is worse most of them are not even trying now.

Ox can F.O. right now, strolling around all game, he can certainly talk a good game.(please don't sign a new contract, you'd be doing us a favour!) ditto Walcott, his face when he was subbed was a picture as if to say why me? I'll tell you why, you were absolutely shit mate, he's just been dropped by England and what does he do to prove a point sweet FA is what? He wasn't alone, Ramsay did nothing all game, Welbeck precious little more, I could go on and on.

Theiry Henry summed it up perfectly after the match on Sky, forget the Manager for a second, just do what you are getting paid for by Arsenal football club and do your jobs.

I watched the game up to the second WBA goal even though I could see the writitng on the wall long before that, I was getting so annoyed that I could sense that the TV was in danger of getting kicked in so at that point I tuned into the Ireland vs England womens rugby game from the previous night, I can tell you there was more determination, fight, effort, guts, pride, leadership from all of those ladies then anyone of our miserable bunch.