All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Middlesbrough vs Arsenal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 pm 

Cech

Gabriel Koscielny Holding

Ox Xhaka Ramsey Monreal

Sanchez Ozil

Giroud

Last edited by DUSTCORE on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Middlesbrough vs Arsenal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:59 pm 
Acclaimed member

Just looks to me like Gabriel will stand in at rightback, as he did earlier this season.

Not sure what has pointed the pundits towards a back 3.

Edit - it is a 343. Everyone reacting to Conte this season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
Just looks to me like Gabriel will stand in at rightback, as he did earlier this season.

Not sure what has pointed the pundits towards a back 3.

Edit - it is a 343. Everyone reacting to Conte this season.

Def looks like we're playing with a back 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

Full time: Middlesbrough 1-2 Arsenal

Fuck me, we have won a game of football! And at a place we traditionally don't do well at.

Well we went 3 at the back. Did it work? I don't think so but I think Wenger will continue with this into the next game against Man City and that will be the acid test as to if this formation has any mileage or not. Difficult to gauge how good the performance was or was not because we played a poor side, a bit like the West Ham game in a sense. We still conceded and could have easily conceded a couple more. Offensively we have had the same problems as against Palace and West Brom, where we found it difficult to create real opportunities from a high amount of possession but this time were able to find a solution and not throw it away completely at the back.

The win is a positive and individually I thought Chamberlain was a positive down the right, for me he was our man of the match. Sanchez scored a nice free kick but second half was a liability with the ball and not sure how he got man of the match. Apart from that I suppose Holding held his own in there, I thought Giroud looked a threat and was unlucky on a occasion not to get a break and Ozil scored a goal which should help his confidence. But Middlesbrough are a poor team and I'm not really sure we can take too many more indivudal positives from it and really we have to see how the likes of Gabriel, Holding, Xhaka and Ramsey in the core area's of the pitch fare in this formation against better teams.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 am 
Acclaimed member

"Sanchez scored a nice free kick but second half was a liability with the ball and not sure how he got man of the match."

The same reason the media can never stop talking about Mourinho. Now that we've actually won a game, they can talk about how Alexis shockingly smiled and high-fived his teammates!

Clearly one of the massive A-grade handbrakes jammed some time ago and still hasn't released, but it was nice to see Ozil finish a tricky chance, Ramsey get involved in a goal, Giroud play 90 minutes, and so on.

As for the formation, we were just as clueless and messy as we have been recently with our usual formation, so.. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:14 am 
Acclaimed member

General rule of thumb, man of match goes to attackers. No matter how bad they have been and how well a defender has done.

Felt 3-4-3 seemed to benefit Ramey's ability to break into box and when Oxlade got wide, it meant we got numbers to attack the cross but players seemed a little uncertain, Monreal never seemed to get forward and Oxlade was lively but didn't get on ball enough while our central players struggled to make things happen in final third. When we conceded, team fell apart and thankfully Cech was alert to prevent Boro getting a goal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
A much needed win against a Middlesbrough team who are by no means poor. They just can't score. Most of their games I have watched this season, they have looked pretty solid defensively but lack a goal scorer. As for the change in formation, it was about time we moved to a back three. We have looked way too vulnerable defensively with both our attacking fulll backs so high up the pitch so going with three at the back made sense add a bit stability if our full backs were beaten in 1v1 situations. I felt it also gave us more attacking options. We seemed to have more players overloading the box when the ball was out wide. Ox was the man of the match for me. He was tirelessly up and down that right flank, made some nice crosses and was unlucky not to score at the end. Credit to Wenger for trying to change things up. It will take time for the players to get familiar with the new shape but i'm sure we'll see it come good over time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 am 

Great to win a game of football again. :thumbup:

Big fan of Adama Traoré, by the way. I've never seen a more enthusiastic and energetic player who is so average at football. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 pm 
Acclaimed member

Team South East wrote:
A much needed win against a Middlesbrough team who are by no means poor. They just can't score. Most of their games I have watched this season, they have looked pretty solid defensively but lack a goal scorer. As for the change in formation, it was about time we moved to a back three. We have looked way too vulnerable defensively with both our attacking fulll backs so high up the pitch so going with three at the back made sense add a bit stability if our full backs were beaten in 1v1 situations. I felt it also gave us more attacking options. We seemed to have more players overloading the box when the ball was out wide. Ox was the man of the match for me. He was tirelessly up and down that right flank, made some nice crosses and was unlucky not to score at the end. Credit to Wenger for trying to change things up. It will take time for the players to get familiar with the new shape but i'm sure we'll see it come good over time.

My impression of Boro is Karanka had them well drilled defensivly, a decent set of technical players in front of the backline but he smothered the attacking ability of the team+I'm not convinced by some of the creative players. When Agnew tries to rebalance the team, that lack of confidence and lack of balance hits. Negrado is a good striker but eventually his confidence took a thrashing, Traore is exciting but final ball? Rameriz has rarely cut it at Prem and Downing, now picked by default, looks past it.

I think there is merit to the new system. It leaves us three at the back which, once our players recover confidence, will help leave us less open on the break, Ramsey and Xhaka seemed to like it, we got bodies in the box when Oxlade crossed. Our wide players particularly need to adapt to the system for it to really work