It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arsenal v Leicester
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 pm 
Acclaimed member

4-3
Lacazette, Welbeck, Ramsey, Giroud | Some cocks

Ah, good old Arsenal. I had to watch in a cafe and now everyone thinks I have seizures.

Perhaps easy to blame the CB lineup for the farce but I don't think that was really the problem. Just terrible sloppiness from the entire team (Cech AWOL on Goal 1, all the freely given away possession) + tactical problems (never covering far post even after the 80th Leicester cross there, our legendary corner marking). Koscielny might have bailed us for one or two but I can't believe after having seemingly solved it we're on our way to Corner Relegation again.

On the upside good old "mental strength" in taking three points against decent opposition, some spells of very nice play. Welbeck looked a bit less awful in front of goal and even managed to score a tap in (not before using his right foot to assist his right foot). Kolasinac wonderful ball trapping, positioning for aerial balls, power, seems to make right decisions forward and back. Lacazette will need to get used to EPL thug life but the finish was foxy.

Since Alexis wasn't playing and they couldn't harp on all game about his contract the pundits went back to Ozil bashing, the guy only just recovered from a knock. Had some good moves, had some bad ones, wasn't even the worst at giving away possession with Leicester midfielders pressuring Xhaka into mistakes. Bellerin also looks 70% but some of the problems were Holding/Xhaka losing the ball after sending him upfield.

Walcott might have touched the ball, physicists will have to run some experiments to be sure.

3 points. Lacazette debut goal. That'll keep me positive for now.

Post subject: Re: Arsenal v Leicester
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 pm 
Acclaimed member

All the hallmarks of an opening day Arsenal performance; started positively and some truly shite defending threatened to undo all the good work in attack.

Sloppiness is exactly what derailed us. Leicester had clearly prepared well for our lax attitude to set pieces. It was no surprise that their very first corner was a short, or that their first freekick was also. We've been undone by a 2 v 1 on short corners last season, we were done on it in one of the pre-season games, and we've been done here again tonight. The second was also a gimme; sloppy play out from the back and then Monreal failing to take up the type of close-goal position that sees Mertesacker eat up those low crosses for breakfast. The less said about the third the better, although it shouldn't have stood as Okazaki was fouling Elneny on every set piece delivery, including that one.

Holding had a stinker.

On the positive, there was some great interplay at times in attack and Lacazette looks sharper than a steak knife, his touch and movement is in a different league to anything we've seen upfront over the last few years (discounting Alexis as it's not his position). He's a Defoe in a silk scarf and without the linear, head-down mentality.

Also noticeable that our decent deliveries only started once we had punted Bellerin out to the left and freed up Chamberlain to do what he does best. Dribbling and delivery are Bellerin's weaknesses, but it has surprised me how average he can look at wingback; Chamberlain really is in a different stratosphere to him here, and there isn't overly much in it defensively to particularly want to favour Bellerin. It's taken him seven years, but he's found his position. I hope the supposed ego of 'wanting to play central midfield' doesn't get in the way of a new contract (although I daresay that isn't a hugely defining factor). It's all on Chamberlain to keep a berth in the starting XI; for me he clearly has the upper-hand in this positional battle.

The sooner we get some centrebacks fit and able the better; Chamberlain and Kolasinac on the blanks is very dynamic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:15 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Good win that. We had to dig deep to get that result. As you guys mentioned already, the goals conceded were sloppy. That'll all change when we get our proper CB's back from injury. We look very good going forward. I reckon we might hit the 100 goals mark this season. Ox was MOTM for me. Looked the fittest player on the pitch and his powerful runs down the flanks caused Leicester problems. On the other hand Holding, Xhaka, and Bellerin were below par. I'll give them a pass though as it's the first games of the season. :D Now let's enjoy the rest of the weekends football!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:29 pm 
Acclaimed member

Some teams will take a few games to get ringrust out, get fit and organized. Getting the win under circumstances and with first day hoodoo, will lift moral of the team before some potentially tricky away games. I felt that never die spirit and Wenger's willingness to switch his tactics deserve praise for the manager (while Shakespeare's use of his second sub killed Leicester)

Going forward, a lot to like. Welbeck was bright and made things happen, Oxlade carried a threat despite playing on his wrong side which sometimes hindered him, Lacazette looked bright inside the box and looked decent when moved on left but could get overpowered at times (he will presumably learn from that), Ramsey created havoc off the bench, Giroud got a goal, Ozil had his moments. When we crossed or Eleny/Xhaka tried to clip balls in, we looked liked causing trouble.

All sorts of issues at the back, some will be fixed by time and returning centrebacks but wonder why Gabriel and Chambers were not used at centreback to release one of our left-wing backs? Sloppy play in midfield put us under needless pressure when we tried to break out, disorganized at corners, badly set at crosses, Cech had a shaky first half though recovered and became more assertive. I was furious at manner of their equalizer, Bellerin and Ozil did nothing to shut down crosses down their flank and their goal came from third such cross in the space of a few minutes.