It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Man City v Arsenal
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:08 pm 
Acclaimed member

Half time and it's not awful, which is more than I expected.

Missed it up to the inevitable City goal but I think the team selection is sound given what we've got and the players have carried it out reasonably well. Giroud or Lacazette up top will hardly get a touch so we get an additional man or two in defence and buildup, Iwobi and Ozil and Ramsey with some nice efforts to pass it around and bring it forward at pace while Xhaka is able to stay back and recycle. Alexis too but he's had some unbelievable passes cutting through every red shirt to find a blue, including our own corner. :roll:

Feel like one thing that could crack this frankly fantastic City buildup/attack is more physical superiority, to be able to win those 50-50s or intercept the ball darting in quickly, but we're not able to be better than them all over the pitch at it though we're not particularly worse either.

It's decent so far and we could hope to equalise, at least if we're being optimistic.

Post subject: Re: Man City v Arsenal
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:20 pm 

Despite Citys dominance they are only 1-0 up! City scraped a win against West Brom, and thoughts of what happened in last years FA cup semi could get them worried! If it stays like this an equaliser could be coming!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:22 pm 
Acclaimed member

Oh, well, there goes that. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:36 pm 

Expected a hiding so I would be surprised if it stops at 2-0. Lacazette not playing for some reason and apparently Coquelin is in central defence - is that correct?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:40 pm 

Didn't expect that though! Get in there Lacazette!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:40 pm 
Acclaimed member

We've continued to play to the plan regardless of scoreline and get our reward with Lacazette coming on and scoring. We have deserved a goal, probably no more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:50 pm 
Acclaimed member

Woop, there's that with an offside goal.

City are so good right now and they deserve the win, credit to the team for working hard and not letting heads drop but Oliver the rock star's decided he wants to wrap it up now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:11 pm 

Oh well. Dodgy offside apparently but all that matters is the score. Another international break before Spurs come to the Emirates. Could be strange atmosphere, somewhere between apathetic and toxic. Sounds like we played ok though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:14 pm 
Acclaimed member

I think Man City have been fairly average today. They have dominated the game and could have had 6-7 out there easily if they really wanted to but have been extremely wasteful or lacked the tenacity to really make it count. They haven't had to do an awful lot to win the ball back all game but were still complacent, letting us back in the game for about 3-4 minutes around the time we scored.

It just shows that even when they aren't that good, they are still miles better than we are.

Not even going to bother with Arsenal, we're that boring. It was like just waiting for a boxer that was on the ropes from the first second to finally fall - the only thing worth watching was how bad of a beating he was going to get so at least you could put it into some kind of context when everyone starts celebrating how wonderful Man City are once again. I said to someone yesterday if we kept the score under a 2 goal margin then it would be a good result for this team. They did manage that but how, I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm 

Man City were far and away the better side today. Agree with Tubz - tbey looked average today like against West Brom - sign of a good team that they manage a win even when form dips.

As for us I was rather impressed. Guys admit it... like many games against top opposition away from home you were dreading recieving a typical arse raping Wenger style. However it didnt come to that, and this is a definate plus. No shame losing to a top side as long as the effort is there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 pm 

Whilst I think it wouldn't matter much who played today but to play Francis Coquelin as a centre half is just unacceptable. Elneny has played there, Debuchy has played there and Holding is actually a centre half, so why Coquelin. And why are we paying 50 million quid for a striker and then not starting them against the best team in the league? The degree of mismanagement at this club knows no bounds. Where is Steve Gould.. ..come on Arsene Francis isn't a centre back all the time He's got a hole in his arse so why are you playing him there? It's almost scandalous!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:14 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
manuhater wrote:
Whilst I think it wouldn't matter much who played today but to play Francis Coquelin as a centre half is just unacceptable. Elneny has played there, Debuchy has played there and Holding is actually a centre half, so why Coquelin. And why are we paying 50 million quid for a striker and then not starting them against the best team in the league? The degree of mismanagement at this club knows no bounds. Where is Steve Gould.. ..come on Arsene Francis isn't a centre back all the time He's got a hole in his arse so why are you playing him there? It's almost scandalous!

To be fair, although seeing Coquelin at CB was a surprise for us all he did play OK in the CB role. I'm not quite sure of the reason behind this though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
This was the game I was waiting for. The acid test, us, against top class opposition. IMO we lacked aggression defensively. We need to be much more tenacious and agressive in these games when defending. The likes of Silva and De Bruyne had waaaaaaaaay too much time on the ball to express themselves and get settled into the game. Man City on the other hand were what we should have been defensively. They were also clinical when the opportunity arose. We really lacked that clinical edge when going forward. Ozil's shooting is absolutely powderpuff. Look at the difference between the chance he had and the chance De Bruyne had, and took. :headbang: :headbang: I think the decision to play Coquelin at CB could be tactical as he would be an auxiliary deep defensive midfielder when going forward. He didn't do too badly to be honest. I can't wait till we play Tottenham but now we have the frustration of having to wait for that game due to the international break. Positive news could be that KAne came off injure so could be a doubt if it turns out to be a long term injury.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:03 pm 

Not a bad performance against the league leaders. Had intent and effort, looked to attack. I have seen questions about Coquelin at CB, but I don't think he was a problem or did poorly. It does make one wish that we had some healthy centerbacks instead of having to be makeshift there though. As TSE noted Ozil tries the soft approach too often when shooting. Just haul off and kick it once and a while. The offside goal killed the match and we couldn't recover. I did agree with the commentators on my feed when they were talking about our tendency to expect the right call to be made and turn off instead of playing to the whistle. I don't know if it would have saved that goal, but it would save some. To me its just part of being professional instead of assuming you will get the call. I also didn't like the decision to start Iwobi and put Alexis up top. I think we did this in one of Alexis's starts up top early last season against City as well. Alexis is just better on the left cutting in and I am having trouble understanding Wenger's continued reluctance with Lacazette, both to start this match and finish games in general. Shades of his misuse of Lucas. Sorry to say City is just better, we look a 3rd to 6th place team, don't see that changing anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:12 pm 

Didn't get to watch the match due to being away on holiday but I think we have to accept we're no longer at that elite level. Even if we played the right formation and the right players in the right positions we would've still been the underdog. What's more upsetting is the club's tendancy to put their head in the sand and pretend everything is ok. Also the Sanchaz and Ozil situation is fine if you're winning but when we lose its creates another distraction we don't need.