It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tottenham vs Arsenal PL 12:30 @ Stade de Wembley
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:03 pm 

After a great performance against Everton (welcome Aubameyang!) we go into this game on a high. I don’t think it matters us playing at playing away at Wembley - we have a formidable front line to scare most defences.

I’m old-school... for me this has and always will be the biggest Arsenal fixture. I fancy us for this - play well and I reckon we can win 2-1.

With Chelsea stuttering, Liverpool and Spurs inconsistent. I also think the holy grail of top 4 is well within sight.

Post subject: Re: Tottenham vs Arsenal PL 12:30 @ Stade de Wembley
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

Location: Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Bergkamp! Dennis Beeergkaaaamp!
I wonder if at some point we can get both Aubameyang and Lacazette into the same team. Maybe a return to a 4-4-2 some day. I got a hankering for the days of Henry-Wiltord or Bergkamp-Anelka. Don't know that we have the personnel behind them to pull that off, but surely 2 dangerous strikers is better than one.

If we only had the central midfield to make that work...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
muckygooner wrote:
After a great performance against Everton (welcome Aubameyang!) we go into this game on a high. I don’t think it matters us playing at playing away at Wembley - we have a formidable front line to scare most defences.

I’m old-school... for me this has and always will be the biggest Arsenal fixture. I fancy us for this - play well and I reckon we can win 2-1.

With Chelsea stuttering, Liverpool and Spurs inconsistent. I also think the holy grail of top 4 is well within sight.

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:12 am 
Acclaimed member

We've had an excellent home record all season, no reason for that to change tomorrow :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:04 am 

LoneGunner wrote:
We've had an excellent home record all season, no reason for that to change tomorrow :wink:

In all seriousness we MUST treat this as a home game! Get at them from the first minute and not let them settle just like we did at Wembley against Chelsea and Man City. If we sit back we put our defence under pressure and we get murdered.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 am 

Team South East wrote:
muckygooner wrote:

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Why the surprise? We are playing at home and Tottenham aren’t as good as some make out they are. We can beat anybody - remember we beat City and Chelsea at Wembley.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 pm 

At least Iwobi isn't playing, downside.....Elneny is. Never confident about this game, anything but a loss please.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:59 pm 

Totally being destroyed and raped up in the 2nd half... but we are just 1-0 down. Still have hope as long as we don’t concede again

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:16 pm 

Tottenham have just been the better team. Our defensive play has been atrocious at times. Still need to find the right balance going forward but I think we have the makings of a good team. Still very disappointing today, Lacazette seems like his heads gone I still think he'll come good.

Last edited by DUSTCORE on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 pm 
Acclaimed member

Well, 0-1 loss is a steal.

Tightly organised midfield, attacks every single ball, they didn't even need to particularly muscle or play dirty. One team stands still, another team keeps moving for the ball, that means there's never anyone to pass to and there's never any kind of play to build.

It's just icing on the cake to see that passing back to the keeper is now one of our best ways to assist the opposition.

A 1-1 with the Lacazette chance would have been the heist of the century, I'm not too inclined to blame him for missing that. It's not like the new boys did anything more than him in 60/90 mins respectively. And I wouldn't blame Xhaka today, either - it's not his fault he has to play in a game absolutely unsuited for him because we basically have 4 midfielders for 3 positions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 pm 
Acclaimed member

It hurts losing to them regardless of circumstance. The final result was kind though so a big thank you to Spurs for that.

The first half performance was not great, certainly nothing to write home about but it was 0-0 and we were in the game, that was probably the most positive thing you could say about it.

But the second half was nothing short of a disgrace. The shambolic defending bit - it's clear Wenger is not coaching this part of the side because we are making the same mistakes we make each game. But I'm at ease with that now because that won't change until we have a new manager in.

But attacking wise - our passing has been sub-Sunday league standard and frankly, an embarassment. No wonder we didn't have a shot inside in the area when we can't even pass a ball 5 yards to each other. It was shocking how inept we were in that department and when your whole gameplan stems around attacking play and you get served that up, the team is never going to win.

No doubt there will be something to blame which will deflect attention away from how bad we were.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 pm 
Acclaimed member

Tubzinho wrote:
No doubt there will be something to blame which will deflect attention away from how bad we were.

Wenger interview: "I have seen the replay, it is no foul, just good centre-forward play. We can only look at ourselves."

He is a presently incompetent manager, not some kind of serial obfuscator rolled straight out of Trump and Satan's love-bed. :roll:

To pass to an actually important issue, the question is whether this first XI - which, more or less, is the team that will play every single remaining game this season (with Lacazette and Ramsey), is capable of turning around above all the idiotic away form. As we saw today, the new signings are neither the main problem nor solution. We have no coherent way to pass the ball from CBs to the front-line, and we can't fix it with one Wilshere slaloming around the web of opposing midfielders (if we had Cazorla on instead, again, one man can only do so much).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 am 

This defeat was a buttfucking just as bad as some of the monster defeats we have suffered over the years - the score line doesn’t reflect this as the scum were not good enough to finish us off.

We should have got at them from the first minute just like we did against Chelsea and Man City in the FA Cup. Attack is the best form of defence especially if we can’t defend! Yet Wenger in his wisdom decided to set the team to sit back and ‘attempt’ to defend - this just invited pressure. Last 10 mins when we decided to attack and put them under pressure they were worried. What utter tactical garbage.

As soon as we lost Sanchez and Walcott and signed Aubameyang and Henrikh I knew we would lose width. We used to play 4-2-3-1 with either Walcott, Iwobi, Sanchez, Chamberlain on the wings. But now we have to play 4-3-2-1 with Ozil and Henrick behind the striker with a 3 man midfield. This is hard core evidence that Wenger doesn't recruit players to fit a system, but he changes the system to fit with the players he signs. There isnt a plan with regards to transfers - its a scatter gun approach of getting whats available. Its a back to front way of doing things, and shows lack of control and conviction when a managers operates like this. Wenger isnt walking the dog, the dog is walking him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:55 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Rubbish!!! Nobody showed up. Attacking play was sooooooo slow.Defensive play ws even worse. Had a few dodgy offiside decisions against us but then again we did get the benefit of the doubt against Everton last week. Wenger seems fed up at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:41 am 

muckygooner wrote:
As soon as we lost Sanchez and Walcott and signed Aubameyang and Henrikh I knew we would lose width. We used to play 4-2-3-1 with either Walcott, Iwobi, Sanchez, Chamberlain on the wings. But now we have to play 4-3-2-1 with Ozil and Henrick behind the striker with a 3 man midfield. This is hard core evidence that Wenger doesn't recruit players to fit a system, but he changes the system to fit with the players he signs. There isnt a plan with regards to transfers - its a scatter gun approach of getting whats available. Its a back to front way of doing things, and shows lack of control and conviction when a managers operates like this. Wenger isnt walking the dog, the dog is walking him.

Sorry Muckygooner but I totally disagree with this. What width did Sanchez provide? He continually cut inside and Walcott, really? Please don't get me started on him. These transfers only happened because of the new recruitments behind the scenes. I for one am really happy with the business we done considering the situation we were in. The fact is we still have problems in defence and midfield. These can't all be dealt with in one January transfer window.