It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arsenal vs Man City
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:13 am 

Emirates Stadium Thursday 1st March 2018 @ 19:45

Adverse Weather latest update:

Arsenal are looking for volunteers to shovel snow around the stadium before Thursday's game.

Press officer, Mark Gonnella stated, "We are appealing to fans for help, if we can get enough snow brought in, there's still a chance we can get this game called off."

If the game does go ahead I see this as a great opportunity for the players and manager to bounce back and prove themselves. Despite Man City being poor, we managed to be even worse on cup final day. Man City might be a good side, but there was no excuse for strolling around and making it easy for them.

Positives:-
- Home form has been excellent this season
- Fan and Media criticism - should provide motivation to prove everyone wrong
- Its a dead rubber game for Man City - losing makes no difference to them
- Man City might not be focussed after the cup final celebrations

Get at them from the first whistle (as I hoped we would in the cup final) and City RIGHT NOW are beatable. I fancy a 2-1 victory.

COME ON ARSENAL!

Post subject: Re: Arsenal vs Man City
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:53 pm 

Hope it goes ahead just because I think we will have more chance in these conditions than when the weather improves. I don't believe the team or those managing them are capable of bursting back from defeat either tonight or against Brighton, so a draw wouldn't surprise me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 pm 

Cech, Bellerín, Mustafi, Koscielny, Kolasinac,Ramsey, Xhaka, Mkhitaryan, Özil, Welbeck, Aubameyang

Substitutes
Ospina,Holding, Iwobi, Chambers, Maitland-Niles, El Neny, Nketiah

Got to love the strength on the bench :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:56 pm 

Looking really good so far - the players look up for it!

Edit - Ouch! Undone by a bit of great play by Sane and Silva.

Edit 2 - Undone again by a good bit of play. Looks like the real Man City has turned up.

Edit 3 - They are having a blinder. I can’t really fault Arsenal’s effort.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 pm 

Surely he can't survive any longer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:33 pm 

manuhater wrote:
Surely he can't survive any longer.

Don’t be silly! He has turned the world down for us. We should be grateful for that and respect his decision to stay for however long HE wants to stay.

3 down and I can’t fault the effort - the players are having a go and as a fan that’s important

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:34 pm 

It comes to something when the snow has more chance of saving us than our bench.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:46 pm 

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up. Man City are not just another world from us their another universe. Amazing football. I remember when we use to be like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 pm 

Well mathematically, we can still take the title on goal difference, but sorry, TSE, we won't get more than 75 points despite there being 10 games remaining. :wink:

Hope all those who travelled (less than the 58000 official attendance apparently) make it home safe and warm. All we can do now is try and salvage enough points to either make the Europa or at least not be a too distant 6th.

Probably well off the mark here but I can't help wondering if there will be a yellow 'breaking news' banner on Sky in the next few days/hours. Least it didn't get any more embarrassing than 3-0.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:04 pm 

Emperor wrote:
Well mathematically, we can still take the title on goal difference, but sorry, TSE, we won't get more than 75 points despite there being 10 games remaining. :wink:

Hope all those who travelled (less than the 58000 official attendance apparently) make it home safe and warm. All we can do now is try and salvage enough points to either make the Europa or at least not be a too distant 6th.

Probably well off the mark here but I can't help wondering if there will be a yellow 'breaking news' banner on Sky in the next few days/hours. Least it didn't get any more embarrassing than 3-0.

I don’t think there were more than 20,000 in the Stadium- I’ve never seen so many empty seats.

Some of the football that they played in the 1st half was outstanding. We were lucky 2nd half as they backed off - they have one eye on far bigger priorities.

I can’t see the ‘I turned the whole world down for you’ narcissist ever stepping down for the sake of the club. Nor can I see anyone brave enough to sack our despot leader. We are stuck with him for a long time.

One thought - what the fuck attracted to Ozil Mhkitatyan and Aubamayang to sign contracts this year? What on earth persuaded them to waste their lives playing for Arsene?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

Pointless snark aside, I think we are now at a stage distinctly different from the Wenger Out protests last year. At least back then, there were such angry protests and arguments; this year, there is no need for that, because there is not a shred of doubt for most of us that (1) Wenger is done, and (2) this team is remarkably bad as well. It's sad. I don't think we gain a whole lot by sacking him now, but I hope (knowing how incompetent our board is, too) that we get the new person in as fast as possible in May.

I'm on a work trip, but in any case I didn't bother watching. Not too fussed about the result itself - this City team is currently on an amazing run of form and confidence and ability.

I wonder which players will distinguish themselves in however small ways, to ensure that the next manager looks on them favourably. The likes of Ozil and Aubameyang may bide their time, knowing the next coach will recocgnise their world class ability, but I wonder what Welbeck or Xhaka are thinking?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:29 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Hats off to Man City who played some interplanetary football. They were clinical and we were absolutely shell shocked following their goals. I can't fault our effort. I hope we can have that same intensity for the remaining domestic and European games this season. Really surprised we didn't score considering our posession.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 am 

Team South East wrote:
I hope we can have that same intensity for the remaining domestic and European games this season.

Not a chance mate. When was the last time we played a series of (let’s say 5) games where the team put maximum effort in? We have proven that we can play well at times (last season at Wembley and this season vs Spurs and Chelsea) but one thing we can be certain about is the lack of consistent effort.

There might be a good team in there - it’s just that Wenger is not good enough to bring it out

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:53 pm 

Team South East wrote:
Really surprised we didn't score considering our posession.

We had possession because City granted us a bit of the ball in the second half. They took the foot off the gas because they knew we wouldn't hurt them. Had we become dangerous, they would have been able to step up their game again.

That's how top teams with an actual tactical plan control games (and opponents): Score some early goals and then cruise home without wasting more energy than necessary. We wouldn't recognize this because we haven't controlled games (and opponents) on a constant basis for the last decade.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm 

Emperor wrote:
Substitutes
Ospina,Holding, Iwobi, Chambers, Maitland-Niles, El Neny, Nketiah

Looking at the bench might explain it, but I was really puzzled that Wenger didn't bother to make a single sub for the whole game. Extraordinary. :puzzled: