It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arsenal Vs Man City
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:36 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
I think we all knew it was going to be an uphill struggle with our opening game of the season agauinst the champions. A few obervations from me:

Positives:

:arrow: Guendouzi, he is going to be a good player going forward. He made some mistakes which could have been costly and he could have done better against Sterling for the goal but he never ever hid and showed great mental strength to working hard and always wanted the ball. He willl refine his game the more he plays.

:arrow: Mustafi/Sokratis partnership. I think these two can be solid together. Mustafi had a good game statistically, they both did well to keep City's threat at bay but city had way too much quality in the end.

:arrow: Our pressing game was good at times and we forced city into 2 or 3 mistakes. This will improve over time once we perfect it.

:arrow: Cech kept us in the game with some brilliant saves but he almost cost us with a bizarre pass which could have been an own goal. I think he'll improve on this though as we begin to perfect the playing out the back. City executed this perfectly.

Negatives:

:arrow: Not clinical enough. We really needed to work the keeper a lot more. City defended brilliantly at times but we lacked that sharpness when going forward. Ozil's first touch should have been better when we forced the mistake from Ederson. You have to make these opportunities count in big games like this or we will always be second rate in big games.

:arrow: Our 1v1 dribbing was awful. Ozil, Aubameyang and Mkhi should have done better in these situations with the technique they posess but failed to execute. Hopefully this is just down to match sharpness.

Post subject: Re: Arsenal Vs Man City
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:50 pm 
Acclaimed member

Not too fussed about being outclassed by City, but even if we write that one off as a loss, it should be giving us a platform for the next few games.

From that perspective the first half in particular was a worry. I don't think Cech was the problem, even if he made it worse; we just couldn't deal with the fact that City camped their attackers in forward positions, and we could never work out a proper passing lane forward. The difficulty of building out from the back was a key problem in late Wenger sides (remember that game against Dortmund?) and Emery has to find a way to make this new thing work.

Looks like, with that style, one of Guendouzi / Torreira / Elneny will be a must for every single game. Xhaka may yet redeem himself, but right now we're not even playing in a way that allows him to spray passes forward.

It was interesting to see just how Wengeresque the team remained; it takes time, but also, I think it goes to show a lot of it is down to the players. Just not enough movement, not enough players offering for the ball on the attack, always get the ball to one star attacker then he's basically stuck alone with one other heavily marked man to pass to.

Post subject: Re: Arsenal Vs Man City
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:08 pm 
Acclaimed member

It’s concerning to see some of the disjointed play in that game. City are better than us but I am deeply concerned about our attacking play, more so than our defensive play that so many seem to be talking about. There seems no plan to attack and we looked rushed and out of control once we went over the half way line.

Whilst Emery needs time to get the side playing how he wants, there also has to be an element of pragmatism on his approach to this - these players are not used to playing his way and he can’t expect Wenger players to change overnight. It will take time but if we don’t get points on the board, he won’t get that time. Losing is a dangerous habit to fall into and a battering next Sunday ciuld be catastrophic for morale already. There was a lot of questions asked of the team that we were unable to answer and some of those questions were basic. It’s concerning.