It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arsenal AGM 2017
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:41 am 

Sorry if this is in the wrong bit, Jules. Toyed between here and the Finance and Ownership forum.

What do the Arsenal Land collective make of last week's AGM? Points were made, such as the paper votes needed for Kroenke Jr and Keswick, there were more people than chairs and the meeting included the statutory management/business jargon such as 'objective metrics.'

Other than a chance for a few people to at least get their views across, was anything achieved? Will we really see any difference? Is it likely that any of the people at the front gave the remotest shiny shite?

Post subject: Re: Arsenal AGM 2017
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:42 pm 
Acclaimed member

I thought it was interesting to see the voting against the Chairman and Josh Kroenke's appointment if only in vain.

I don't understand why Kroenke can give a full interview to the Telegraph and yet not even utter a word to the people that his interview is supposed to be intended for!

But the real issue was our Chairman. He is a problem that the Arsenal board do not need, driving a wedge between the club and the fans again and again. Its one thing when Kroenke doesn't speak, it's another when our chairman decides that he is going to belittle shareholders with flippant comments. For all Wenger's and Gazidis' work to try and get the fans onside, Keswick has almost undone this in ten minutes of opening his mouth. Quite how Kroenke thinks that this man is the right person to be Arsenal chairman astounds me but I suppose this is the embodyment of the man in charge of the club.

Post subject: Re: Arsenal AGM 2017
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:28 pm 

I thought Keswick's comments were typical of his class and generation. He was extremely condescending and disrespectful to the very people who are Arsenal. With his 'read the Telegraph' or 'write a letter' comments, the only thing missing was 'if you can' which he was probably thinking.

Quite what anyone can do is another matter. The club clearly don't care about planes, banners and boos because they have the fans over a barrel. They know that no matter what, barring relegation (which is never going to happen)or something disgusting or illegal coming to light, the vast majority of fans will not give up their seat. They can't. It's not like a marriage which you can walk away from; these people have loved Arsenal longer than any partner they have ever known and some of them were born into it knowing nothing else.

So while the money rolls in, they can easily live with spending an annual hour among the little people before locking themselves safely away in their mansions to enjoy truffles and champers.