It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Liam Brady To Leave Arsenal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:54 pm 
Acclaimed member

Liam Brady to leave Arsenal youth academy
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... le-in-2014

Arsenal Football Club has announced that the head of its world renowned youth academy, Liam Brady, has decided to leave his current role by May 2014 after 25 years with the Club. Brady, 56, a former Republic of Ireland International midfielder who starred for the Gunners in the 1970s, has established Arsenal’s academy as one of the leaders in the game over the past 17 years. He has now given early notification of his desire to leave his role in order to help recruit a successor and ensure an orderly handover period. Brady had a glittering playing career, starring for Arsenal in the 1970s before moving to Italy, where he enjoyed spells with Juventus, Sampdoria, Inter Milan and Ascoli. He finished his playing career with West Ham United. He also had spells as a manager with Celtic and Brighton and Hove Albion, and more recently assistant manager with the Republic of Ireland.

During his time as Arsenal’s head of youth development and the academy, he has been responsible for developing numerous professional players including Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs. The Club will be discussing potential roles with Brady to ensure he stays involved. Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said: “Liam has a deep understanding of what it takes to discover and develop a talented youngster into someone who can perform at the highest level. He has made a massive contribution to Arsenal Football Club. It will be difficult to find a worthy successor but we will be looking for someone who can build on what Liam and his team have created.”

Post subject: Re: Liam Brady To Leave Arsenal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:12 pm 

Anyone heard / ready anything as to why? The article on the website is very closed...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:39 pm 

It does say that they want to ensure he stays involved, wasn't he quite poorly recently? Maybe thats behind it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm 

Talk about Bergkamp filling the role too...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 pm 

Just 'talk' though, isn't it. I would be genuinely amazed if this happened.

I jut can't see Bergkamp uprooting his family again, leaving his post as Assistant Manager, with his best mates, De Boer (Manager) and Overmars (DOF) being there. Makes no sense whatsoever. Nice story, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 pm 
Acclaimed member

Ready made role for Thierry Henry?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:59 pm 

Given the success of what Liam Brady has achieved I'd loathe to think they'd give the reigns to a rookie. Southampton have turned out some fantastic footballers in recent times, clearly they're doing something right. We need to appoint experience in my opinion in what is a crucial aspect of the club.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:03 pm 

Balboa wrote:
Southampton have turned out some fantastic footballers in recent times, clearly they're doing something right. We need to appoint experience in my opinion in what is a crucial aspect of the club.

I would agree with the experience point entirely. A side point on Southampton, they do benefit a lot from catchment due to the prominence of their academy in relation to the surrounding clubs. In essence they have the good grace of the South of England...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm 
Acclaimed member

Is Nicky Hammond still with Reading? I know we were looking at him for the Gazidis type role, might be a role for him?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:20 pm 

zog953 wrote:
Balboa wrote:
Southampton have turned out some fantastic footballers in recent times, clearly they're doing something right. We need to appoint experience in my opinion in what is a crucial aspect of the club.

I would agree with the experience point entirely. A side point on Southampton, they do benefit a lot from catchment due to the prominence of their academy in relation to the surrounding clubs. In essence they have the good grace of the South of England...

Fair comment but they recruited Bale, Walcott and Shaw from further afield that their own neck of the woods so if anything it's their recruitment network which is proving their best source.

It's definitely a case of experience on this one though and I'm sure Wenger will be of the same mindset.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 am 

Brady is on Talk Sport Radio today after 12pm to discuss his decision to leave etc... should be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 am 
Acclaimed member

block132 wrote:
Brady is on Talk Sport Radio today after 12pm to discuss his decision to leave etc... should be interesting.

Anyone listen to this? What did he have to say??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 am 

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... er-pl-1910

Not been able to listen to it yet as at work, but hopefully that is the one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:49 am 

Location: Any true Arsenal supporter should know that they were originally a South London Club!
Arsenal set to replace Brady as head of youth academy with Dutch boss Jonker
By Charles Sale
PUBLISHED: 22:00, 17 January 2014 | UPDATED: 00:07, 18 January 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2541511/CHARLES-SALE-Arsenal-set-replace-Liam-Brady-head-youth-academy-Dutch-boss-Andries-Jonker.html

Arsenal are set to appoint a Dutch football manager as head of their renowned youth academy to replace club legend Liam Brady, who steps down at the end of the season.

Hot favourite Andries Jonker, assistant manager at German Bundesliga side Wolfsburg, has had spells in charge of three Dutch teams - Volendam, Maastricht and Willem II.

But he is best known for working with the renowned Louis van Gaal, who took him to Bayern Munich, where Jonker was caretaker boss for five games at the end of the 2011 season after Van Gaal was sacked.
Experienced: Dutchman Andries Jonker is set to be appointed the new head of Arsenal's youth academy.

Jonker’s interest in academy football can be gauged from a controversial email he sent to the board of subsequent Champions League winners Bayern criticising their youth set-up for lacking a clear philosophy.

Bayern president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge responded by saying: ‘He should not have written this email, there are situations where you can have a bit of self-criticism. I think we can exclude that in this case.’

Arsenal, despite the impressive reputation of their academy, struggled to gain the top category one status under the Premier League’s elite player performance plan. Interestingly, chief executive Ivan Gazidis, rather than manager Arsene Wenger, has led the search for Brady’s successor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 am 
Acclaimed member

Andries Jonker to join Arsenal from Wolfsburg as head of academy
20 January 2014 Last updated at 21:14
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25819521

Arsenal have appointed former Barcelona assistant coach Andries Jonker as head of their academy. The Dutchman, 51, is currently assistant manager at German side Wolfsburg and will succeed Liam Brady as academy head on 1 July. He has also worked for the Dutch Football Association, the KNVB. "Andries helped develop the structures which are now producing such strong young players in Holland," said Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. After working as technical director for the KNVB, Jonker worked under Louis van Gaal at Barcelona and Bayern Munich where he later had a spell as interim head coach. "I am very pleased that Andries is joining us," added Wenger, 64. "He has a big reputation in the game. I would also like to thank Liam for his work which has been outstanding over many years."