It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Top 5
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:35 pm 
Acclaimed member

This was a very difficult category. Trying to put aside preference wherever possible, limiting it to one person per sport, these would be my five:

1. Thierry Henry - Ronaldo yes, Messi yes, baldy Ronaldo yes. None of those resonate as much as Henry because he is Arsenal. And the first two also suffer from spending their careers at Europe's two glory clubs, playing at a ridiculous advantage to every other club in Spain. That doesn't lessen their achievement, but makes me less inclined to include them. Henry isn't even my favourite Arsenal player (Pires), but it could be decades before we see a better player in an Arsenal shirt, if ever.

2. Phil Taylor - I have never seen another sportsman/gamesman like him. The titles, allied to a focus and intensity that in his prime frightened opponents off the oche. I spent his early career wanting Dennis Priestley to beat him, have spent the latter part of his career wanting allcomers to beat him. Yet they rarely could. And in what other competition does a 60+ year old still win and reach finals, let alone in a game where such pinpoint accuracy is required. He's a one-off and I'd be confident in saying his achievements will never be surpassed.

3. Nigel Mansell - a hero from my childhood. Just the right combination of raw talent, grit, work ethic and bravery that bordered on stupidity. Then he went to the US and smashed IndyCar too, and did so in simpler times when motor racing wasn't dissected to the Nth degree and the various modern driver aids had been developed.

4. Bill Belichick - a coach rather than a sportsman. I wanted to include a player, but actually this guy has had the biggest impact on American Football in my 25+ years of watching the sport. If people talk of the impact of Vince Lombardi, Belichick is the modern day equivalent. In a sport that, more than others anyway, promotes equality - whether through the salary cap or the reverse draft - his level of success has been unmatched. Five Super Bowl titles, making the playoffs season after season, even in adversity. And the mark of a great coach? Doing it at times with star players injured or with major squad problems. He is the master at turning an unheralded player into a valuable asset. I can only respect that.

5. Miguel Indurain - I wanted no.5 to be a cyclist, as it is a sport that I follow more than most, despite the ongoing doubt over who is actually clean and a valid champion or not. Over the last thirty years, Indurain has been the man - five successive Tour de Frances between 1991-1996, two Giro d'Italias. He was a dominant force prior to the druggie American hogging all the glory.

Notable:
Usain Bolt - I don't follow track and field bar the Olympics, but 9/9 Gold medals in addition to everything else he has done re: world records and promoting the sport. Monumental.

Last edited by LoneGunner on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:03 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
He was a dominant force prior to the druggie American hogging all the glory.

I also thought about cycling and nominating Armstrong for the best cheater of all time, but the best probably just didn't get caught.

Also spills onto Belicheck, stealing signals, spygate, running illegal plays and formations (referee's at fault for not calling things properly, but the Eagles' doing it back to them in the Superbowl was fun karma), and deflate-gate. As you say of cycling it is hard to know exactly, but since this topic was Sporting Hero's, 'Belicheat' is a no go for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:42 pm 

Can't believe I didn't include Phil Taylor in my mentions, especially as at one point he was in the top 5 :oops:

Possibly thinking about Top 5 covers next; LG, what did you think of Bad Wolves' cover of 'Zombie'? Personally really liked it.
Other update from past Top 5s, after obsessive searching, I have now found the girl of my teenage dreams on You Tube, in a car advert set to 'Something Stupid' but advertising the Citroen Xantia, not Peugeot :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jase wrote:
Also spills onto Belicheck, stealing signals, spygate, running illegal plays and formations (referee's at fault for not calling things properly, but the Eagles' doing it back to them in the Superbowl was fun karma), and deflate-gate. As you say of cycling it is hard to know exactly, but since this topic was Sporting Hero's, 'Belicheat' is a no go for me.

This is what made him a difficult choice, as ideally I wouldn't want to include anyone controversial; although as has been shown, there are a number of teams/coaches who are 'at it'. I had to look past some of the unsavoury aspects and respect the dynasty he has created, even though I dislike him personally (akin to Phil Taylor); the Patriots are a bit like what the Cowboys were in my early days. Or what I think the Cowboys were like anyway, as it is a very long time ago now.

Top 5 covers sounds a good suggestion Emperor. Heard the Bad Wolves effort fairly recently and it is solid. There are a few decent covers knocking around of that song, including one or two from various talent shows worldwide. Greatest damn song ever written.

I have a few ideas, but this one could take a bit of thought!

Emperor wrote:
I have now found the girl of my teenage dreams on You Tube, in a car advert set to 'Something Stupid' but advertising the Citroen Xantia, not Peugeot :cheers:

Was that Claudia Schiffer?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:15 am 
Acclaimed member

This is a category where on any given day I could think of twenty contenders, yet when it comes to the crunch the mind turns to mush. So, pending future changes, Top 5 covers:

1. Chris Cornell - Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
Apparently Michael Jackson once sung this.

2. Kobra and the Lotus - Black Velvet (Alannah Myles)
Silky smooth, yet whiskey-soaked, with a sharp kick of metal.

3. Us - In The End (Linkin Park)
It's too down-tempo for my usual sensibilities, but this is just too good to ignore. Timing, vocal blend and stripped-back musicality, impeccable.

4. Dean Ray - Better Davis Eyes (Kim Carnes)
Avoid talent shows like the plague usually, but this dude is ridiculous. This man knows his craft.

5. Placebo - Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush)
I'm not sure about this as no.5, as Placebo have at least twenty better songs of their own - and I'm biased as Brian Molko could make the phonebook sound appealing - but I couldn't immediately find a worthier alternative.

Honourable contenders:
Lacuna Coil - Losing My Religion (REM)
Shite video aside, that it is a fairly straight cover, and the sideline that is the male vocalist, it picks up dramatically when Cristina Scabbia starts hitting the big notes mid-song.

State of Mine - Rise (Katy Perry)
I like this a lot; vocal and atmospheric backbeat. Vocalist sounds very familar too but never able to place him (FiveFingerDeathPunch?)

To be revisited...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:28 pm 

Still doing mine (and constantly changing it)
Don't think it's Claudia Schiffer, LG, the girl in question is a beautiful brunette. I was in a church choir at the time and one of the little lads had an older sister who was a dead ringer for her. Way out of my league sadly :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:50 pm 

Not certain of my order but differs on how I'm feeling. I could have put 3 or 4 Metallica in but chose not to for variation and genuine love for some of the other songs.

1. Both Sides Now (Paul Young and Clannad, orig Joni Mitchell)

2. Ziggy Stardust (Def Leppard, orig David Bowie) The only Bowie song I've ever liked.

3. Mad World (Gary Jules, orig Depeche Mode) Beautiful and haunting version.

4. Sound of Silence (Disturbed, orig Simon and Garfunkel) Extremely powerful from clean singing at the start to guttural power at the end.

5. Breadfan (Metallica, orig. Budgie) Gets in ahead of 'Whiskey in the Jar' as I only heard the original for the first time a few weeks back and couldn't believe what the original sounded like.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:14 am 
Acclaimed member

Emperor wrote:
'Sven Gali' (Sven Gali)

Digging back through this thread to some of the earlier music-related goodies and spied this; what a great shout Emperor. Downloaded this album a month or so ago after picking it up from a certain YouTube channel I follow (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFEkMv ... IrQ/videos - well worth a look for hair-rockers)

Danny's channel, combined to the Goldenmp3.ru subscription is a dream for picking up music that would long ago have bitten the dust. I only recently realised the website has a free album request service too; usually fulfilled within a couple of days of making a request. Brilliant website all-round.

Anyway, two of my favourite 'new' finds from recent times:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:24 am 

Glad you liked it :thumbup:

Where are you, Jase?

Thinking about Top 5 vocalists (live or recorded) for both genders, Top 5 moments as an Arsenal fan, Top 5 things which piss you off (in tribute to a very old thread which ran alongside BR's 'It's great when...) and Top 5 Lyric (line, couplet or verse, up to you).

Edit: Do I mean 'lyric' or 'lyrics?' Can someone with better grammar than me sort that one out when needed? :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:33 pm 

Emperor wrote:
Where are you, Jase?

Do I mean 'lyric' or 'lyrics?' Can someone with better grammar than me sort that one out when needed? :oops:
I'm around. I would say use 'lyric(s)', then you're covered for both situations. :chill:

Really loved listening to the Laos pick LG. :thumbup:

In general I dislike covers, especially those of the singing competition variety from shows like The Voice, Idol, and X Factor. So this isn’t the best topic for me. Then again, I still ended up with way more than a top 5, so maybe I’m just a hypocrite. For almost every song on my list I was exposed to the cover before the original, so that has probably affected my perception of them as being covers, a Jedi mind trick of sorts.

1) All Along the Watchtower – by Jimi Hendrix (original by Bob Dylan)
Simply an amazing guitarist.

2) Walk This Way – by Run DMC (original by Aerosmith)
What seemingly brought a fading Aerosmith back to life intertwined with the dawning of Rap.

3) Killing Me Softly – by The Fugees (original by Lori Lieberman, then more famously Roberta Flack)
Love the slow roll and vocals.

4) I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll – by Joan Jett (original by Arrows)
Got to love a lady that can rock.

5) Blinded By The Light – Manfred Mann’s Earth Band (original by Bruce Springsteen)
I didn’t even know this was a cover until it popped up while making this list. Having the Boss write it does at least explain the screwy lyrics though.

Honorable Mentions
Tainted Love – Marilyn Manson (original by Gloria Jones, although my first exposure was from Soft Cell)
Cocaine – by Eric Clapton (original by JJ Cale, which is pretty damn good)
Poncho and Lefty – Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard (original by Towns Van Zandt)
And screw it, I'm including the acoustic version from the original artist.

Signs – by Tesla (original by Five Man Electrical Band)
Amarillo By Morning – by George Strait (original by Chris LeDoux)

And these last two have various iterations and uncertain authorship with folk roots, so its difficult to give singular credit as to an original artist. To me these are the definitive versions though.
Black Betty – by Ram Jam
Spiderbait has a nice cover though.
House of the Rising Sun – The Animals’
Five Finger Death Punch has a version for the young kids.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jase wrote:
Really loved listening to the Laos pick LG. :thumbup:

It's a cracking album; the rasping opener sets the tone and the album peaks at Jericho for me.

If it's not already on your radar, you may just also like:

Emperor wrote:
Don't think it's Claudia Schiffer, LG, the girl in question is a beautiful brunette.

I must have been thinking of the Citroen Xsara advert.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:44 am 

This is the link, not sure how to put the picture up sorry. Also apologies if posting the link is naughty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqmf41qilog

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:47 am 

Top 5 Moments as an Arsenal fan

1 Winning the 1987 League Cup (Littlewoods)[/b], the first trophy I saw Arsenal win.

2 Tony Adams' 2nd goal vs Everton which sealed the title in 1998. I was in a pub in Chester with someone I treasured and eventually lost (own fault!)

3 Winning the 1994 Cup Winners' Cup vs Parma. I'd fallen out with a mate who decided Italian football was the way forward and started following Milan. If Parma had beaten us (as their dominance suggested they should) I'd never have heard the last of it.

4 Becoming Invincible. Final match against Leicester, enough said. History made.

5 Anfield 89. This should be higher but I had to run home from choir practice to watch it, I was only 11 and therefore sober, not to mention the fact that I had no other Arsenal fans to celebrate with and fully expected Liverpool to win. Had I been older, this would be my Fever Pitch.

Honorable mentions:

Signing Dennis Bergkamp
Andy Linighan in 1993
FA Cup 2002 (It's only Ray Parlour)
The one and only time I got to the top of the steps and saw the green of Highbury

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 pm 
Acclaimed member

It's a bit after the Lord Mayor's show, but two covers that should have been in my selection and I've since remembered.

This is better than their Kate Bush cover and it's such a bloody good, iconic song too.

I have a fractious relationship with Jack White. I didn't like the White Stripes, his music borders on the genius (Lazaretto), the offbeat and the downright odd, and I don't particular like to listen to it either. But I've rarely had such a respect for an artist that I can't listen to for long, he's unique.

We need a new topic. Any takers?