It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Top 5
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 am 

Gives me a feeling of deja-vu so if I or anyone has done this before, apologies. Just meant to be something light, for now football free (!) and purely down to preference. Probably in the wrong forum too :yikes:

The idea is taken from 'High Fidelity' by Nick Hornby and I will try to generate a new topic every week or so. Feel free to PM me for ideas. It may end up NSFW if my mind gets a little smutty :oops:

Regarding posting links, that's nothing to do with me.

TOP 5 CHILDREN'S TV SHOWS OF YOUR ERA

1 Rainbow
2 Chocky
3 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
4 Dangermouse
5 T Bag

Post subject: Re: Top 5
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:02 am 

Thanks to Jules for moving this to Community rather than ODA :thumbup:

Well after the success of the first Top 5, I thought I'd check out people's literary preferences, but rather than go for specific books or genres I've gone for authors. While I loved 'Catch 22' I've never read another Joseph Heller book, so my criteria is that you must have enjoyed at least 3 books by this author.

TOP 5 AUTHORS YOU WOULD RECOMMEND AFTER ENJOYING THEIR WORK THRICEFOLD

1 Stephen Leather (Jack Nightingale series)
2 David Eddings
3 John Grisham
4 Peter James
5 Tim Weaver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:09 pm 

Cartoons (I know your title was Children's Shows, but screw the children's shows, something educational might slip through. Give me mindless cartoons any day.)
1 Johnny Quest
2 Transformers
3 Dragon Ball Z
4 He-Man
5 Scooby Doo

Numbers 1 and 5 were technically in reruns, but I don't care. TMNT probably should have made the list, but it came in at the tail end of my time. And not during my time at all, but nothing beats the original Looney Tunes. Foghorn Leghorn, Pepe La Pew, Sylvester, Tweety, Yosemite Sam, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Marvin the Martian, The Tasmanian Devil, Speedy Gonzales, Wile E Coyote, and The Road Runner.

Authors
1 George RR Martin -Fantasy
2 Terry Goodkind -Fantasy
3 Louis L'amour -Westerns
4 Terry Brooks -Fantasy
5 John Grisham -Legal Thrillers

I've included the genres for those unfamiliar. Lots of Fantasy, guess that's why I follow Arsenal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 am 

Thanks Jase :thumbup:

Mindless cartoons? Even with He Man's Jerry Springer style ending? :lol:

Can't believe I forgot Scooby Doo, one episode of which genuinely scared me when I was about 5. The less said about Scrappy Doo, the better.

I think I'm the only person in the world who has never seen (or owned) Transformers.

Love fantasy but have only ever read David (and Leigh) Eddings so will check out some of the others on your list, many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm 

I don't even remember the ending to He-Man. The mindless part applies more to the old Looney Tunes.

Robert Jordan is another if you like fantasy. Eddings is fine, but I would say the others I listed are all better, but that's my opinion. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 pm 
Acclaimed member

Cartoons; hmm, really had to stretch the memory for this one!

1. Scooby-Doo
2. The Hurricanes
3. Dangermouse
4. Inspector Gadget
5. Fraggle Rock

Noble mentions also to Fun House and Sabrina The Teenage Witch, which, to be fair, is probably stretching it a bit as a 'kids show' as I must have been about 12/13 when it was first aired and watched it solely for Melissa Joan Hart. I imagine I have left out one or two gems.

Authors is a hard one for me, as I almost exclusively read non-fiction (history and travel) and have very few multi-works by the same author. However, number one would be Tolkien by a considerable distance; simply, a genius. I also have a few of Colin Thubron's travel writings.

1. J.R.R Tolkien
2. Colin Thubron

I'll kick off another set with an obvious one for me:

TOP 5 MUSIC - BANDS OR ARTISTS

1. Alice In Chains
2. Placebo
3. Soundgarden
4. The Distillers
5. Garbage

My appreciation of artists rises and falls, but these five are the consistent names year after year. I struggled to leave out the little-known band The Mayan Factor, who would be number six and higher but for a stunted body of work.

Nirvana may have popularized 90s alternative and grunge, but they were a pale shadow of the two outstanding bands (and, I'd argue, vocalists) in the genre; Alice In Chains and Soundgarden. Crying shame that AiC were not able to release more music than they did, although they have made a strong comeback in recent years with William Duvall on vocals. I'd also suggest Placebo would be in any argument as to the most consistent band of the last twenty years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 am 

Thanks again, Jase

Classic list LG, really should have replaced T Bag with Inspector Gadget, although saying that, Fraggle Rock (with Porridge's Mr McKay!) made me recall Muppet Babies. Bugger.

Music is a tough one. For years Metallica would have been in there for me but even though they got me into rock and metal in the first place, I just can't justify them for the last 20 years. Haven't heard newer AIC; to be honest, after seeing the state of Layne in the 1998 photos as well as his dead eyes in the 'Unplugged' I find it hard to listen to their stuff full stop.

I've gone for bands whose work I've not heard in as much quantity as Metallica, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard etc but have consistently liked when hearing it.

1 Volbeat
2 Shinedown
3 Theory of a Deadman
4 Panic at the Disco
5 Halestorm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 am 
Acclaimed member

Emperor wrote:
Music is a tough one. For years Metallica would have been in there for me but even though they got me into rock and metal in the first place, I just can't justify them for the last 20 years. Haven't heard newer AIC; to be honest, after seeing the state of Layne in the 1998 photos as well as his dead eyes in the 'Unplugged' I find it hard to listen to their stuff full stop.

It's good and they haven't made a radical departure to their early 90s sound either, which I appreciate. William Duvall actually bears a passing vocal resemblance to Layne Staley, although they could have anyone on vocals really and I'd still listen to anything Jerry Cantrell produces.

Your view on Metallica echoes my own. I have all of the early albums, but anything after the 'Black Album' - one of two tunes on 'Load/Reload' excepted - is so poor by comparison. I purchased Death Magnetic, haven't listened to it more than twice. Not a fan of James Hetfield as a vocalist either, to be honest.

That might give rise to another future list; most overrated bands/artists. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:52 pm 

My personal Top 5
1 Tesla
2 Def Leppard
3 Firehouse
4 Great White
5 Slaughter

I love me some hair bands. I had a baker’s dozen more I had no place for since this is a top 5; Guns n Roses, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Van Halen, Poison, Kiss, Warrant, Skid Row, Nelson, Cinderella, Winger. When grunge came along I hated it, Nirvana can fuck off. I know I’m weird when it comes to music appreciation, how many people claim to love Classic Country and 80’s Hair as their favorite genres. I just hated the way rock went at the inception of Nirvana. Now Indie Pop and popified Country rule and can’t stand to listen to the radio anymore. I find the 70’s and 60’s offer more than most stuff in the last 20 years. I’m probably just old.

By the way, here is my Top 5 Country
1 George Strait
2 Alabama
3 Brooks and Dunn
4 Restless Heart
5 Garth Brooks

Funny, how Garth was basically the same herald of change for Country music that Nirvana was for Rock, yet I don’t hold the same ill will toward him that I do Nirvana.

Does anyone even listen to American Country across the pond? Is there some European equivalent I don’t even know about?

I find completely the opposite LG, if I like something its usually instant and forever and my appreciation rarely wavers. Though I do agree Metallica’s later work is a mess, that first half is just too good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jase wrote:
I find completely the opposite LG, if I like something its usually instant and forever and my appreciation rarely wavers.

Does anyone even listen to American Country across the pond? Is there some European equivalent I don’t even know about?

Funny, how Garth was basically the same herald of change for Country music that Nirvana was for Rock, yet I don’t hold the same ill will toward him that I do Nirvana.

I could have worded that better.

I wouldn't say my appreciation wavers, but more the rotation a band gets on my...err, ITunes. For example, a decade ago I was big into System of a Down and would still listen to them, but I don't think I've actually listened to one of their albums in the last five years. Same goes for Rage Against The Machine. Whereas those five bands named (and a number more) are on permanent rotation.

I don't even know what it is that I find so distasteful about Nirvana; they released some good tunes. I think it's probably the fact they seem to be rated as the forefathers of everything that is even remotely 'alternative' in the 25 years since, and the default name is 'Kurt Cobain'. In my opinion they don't have near the strongest back catalogue, not nearly the most talented musicians, rudimentary vocals. They are just hugely overrated, arguably because their songs tend to appeal more to/were aimed at the mainstream than some better artists. And there's nothing wrong with that; music isn't less valuable because it becomes 'popular', but the esteem in which they are held baffles me and is grossly overinflated.

I can't say I know any country fans personally. Like anything, I'm sure there are radio stations dedicated to it, but I would say it is a very niche market in the UK. Mainstream radio is a dead-duck for me. Even the stations that are dedicated to the type of music that I enjoy (or should enjoy) tend to play a very limited selection of artists and songs. You really have to go some way to find any real diversity.

Although my overall taste is firmly mired in grunge, rock (in its various forms) and a bit of metal, I have around 8000 songs on ITunes and a range of tastes from the obvious to an appreciation of obscure Soviet-era Russian artists. I've been enjoying a bit of hair rock lately, more than ever; W.A.S.P and Warlock have been on heavy rotation. I'd never actually known Tesla, so have been doing a spot of Youtubing this afternoon. Nothing better than finding new music. Bandcamp has been a real revelation to me over the last few months, fantastic site for sourcing new or unheralded artists.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:53 am 

If you want the synthesis of Tesla check out their Five Man Acoustical Jam (Live) album. Its a striped down all acoustic concert. I usually despise live albums, but these guys can flat play. Jeff Keith may not have the best voice, but his rasp is signature. Starts out with an original song sliding seamlessly into a cover of Jerry Garcia's Truckin', a cover of Signs and then Tommy's Down Home at 101:50, plus all the originals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 am 

LG, based on some of your listed tastes I'll recommend a short lived band around from 1999 to 2000, Doubledrive. Their big hit was Imprint, but I think their other stuff might suit you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:44 am 

Oh, and good call on Tolkien, every fantasy writer I've ever read is derivative of his work and most would tell you so.

For an obscure music recommendation, Drifting days by Pocket Submarine. It was composed specifically for a Corona Extra beer commercial. Pocket Submarine was a project by Australian artist Guy Brown whose main gig is as the front-man for Australian band "The Mammals". This was definitely love at first soundbite. A 30 second clip with no name for the song or the band, took a long time to find it. Its available on YouTube.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:40 pm 

Love a bit of WASP; the videos are a laugh as well, as long as your stomach can handle Blackie's bottomless trousers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:53 am 
Acclaimed member

Digressing from the topic somewhat, but I wondered what you guys made of this site:

https://www.goldenmp3.ru/

Russian online music store. Legit in the sense that it's professional-enough, but curious what your views are about picking up full albums for about £1? The site has everything I've yet searched for and I was contemplating trying it out, as a way to cheaply build up a library for artists I wouldn't necessarily spend ITunes money on. I can't discern much/any difference in the quality of the sound.

I don't have enough moral fibre to claim I've never ripped music for free from YouTube for example (although there are a host of artists I've found this way, who I wouldn't otherwise - enjoyed - that I've then paid into).