It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top 5
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 pm 
Acclaimed member

This is another of those frustrating categories where I am bound to miss something obvious!

1. Time Team
This had to be no.1. Although I am by now a long lapsed archaeologist, this was the show that fed my (already established) interest in the subject and the fact the show ran for a timespan of 20+ years is testament to just how successful it was developing the general public's interest in such a niche field. There wasn't a show like it when it began in the early 90s, and rarely has a show ever had such a motley selection of characters that developed that level of camaraderie.

I still have the repeats on series link, even if I have seen them five times already. It was the precursor to many of the historical education shows you see today.

2. Sharpe
Magnificent series; Sean Bean scampering around 19th century Europe to fight Napoleon and allies, with his small band of 'Chosen Men'. The creators could not have cast a more suitable actor than Sean Bean as Richard Sharpe, and it had a strong supporting cast. Even though you knew how every episode would end, it was brilliant entertainment. Super theme tune from John Tams too, who also played Hagman in the series.

3. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Mid-teen events are always memorable, and this show began when I was 15. I didn't start watching it until Series 2, but would keenly await Friday nights when it was on BBC2. Looking back, the show/props already seem so dated even though it only ended 14 years ago. It had everything going for it; attractive girls, fights and martial arts, magic and monsters, good balance of positive and negative characters. And Eliza Dushku (albeit too briefly).

4. Robot Wars
Apt that this follows next, as it was scheduled straight after Buffy on BBC2. I have watched the remake over the last two years and they were good, but the original had the magic as it was really the early days of robotics; who could forget Chaos 2, Hypnodisc etc.

5. X-Files
This is another series I didn't get in to until late; perhaps season 3 or 4. By that point it was a really slick production and very enjoyable. Sad times with X-Files, Buffy and Hornblower ending in the same year, and Robot Wars the previous year.

Honourable mentions:
Hornblower - the Sharpe of the high seas, just not enough episodes to make the top 5.
Game of Thrones - I'll say no more.
Merlin - only started watching this due to the other half. Badly let down by an atrocious final few episodes, due to the cancellation of the series.
Gladiators - prime Saturday late-afternoon entertainment as a kid, straight after watching Pamela Anderson and cronies rollicking around in the surf in Baywatch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:52 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
This is another of those frustrating categories where I am bound to miss something obvious!

Wait till you see the next one! :D

Can't believe I forgot Sharpe. The books are really good as well. Erika Eleniak was the main Baywatch babe for me. What with her and jet from Gladiators, I can't believe I'm not a shambling wreck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 pm 
Acclaimed member

Emperor wrote:
The books are really good as well.

I haven't read a single one of them, although coincidentally I've just been on Bernard Cornwell's website and I was pondering acquiring them. Other than Tolkien I just don't like reading fiction, but I might have to make an exception for Sharpe.

Aah jet. Last seen on one of her many appearances on Big Brother's Little Brother as the resident psychotherapist! She still looks good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:10 pm 

Best TV Series

The Wire
Iconic. The best fucking show I’ve ever seen, period. I could write and write about this show, but its better to just see it. Every great show has those who dislike it. Except, I’ve never met anyone who has watched this series and disliked it, some may not totally love it, but that’s still a hell of an achievement.

This is the first series that made sense all the way through. The writer took the time to map out all the story lines and their arcs before starting the series. I hate all the false leads and dead ends that make no sense in other shows. I find it totally distracting, but this is epic. That’s not to say that everything gets solved or that there are no loose ends, there are, but they make legitimate sense in the scheme of the show. The writing is just incredibly tight. To take a line from the show: “All the pieces matter.” Making things up as you go along is what killed shows like Lost and hurt The Sopranos for me. The Wire is a rich world, full of complex characters with depth and flaws, anti-heroes galore, and open moral questions. Great cold openings with a quote to ponder start every episode. There are story lines with long arcs and there are story lines with short arcs that all come full circle. This show forever changed the way television series are designed. And the quotes are fantastic, just take a look at some of them.

The Quotes:
“All, the pieces matter.”
“You come at the King, you best not miss.”
“You can’t even call this shit a war.” “Why not?” “Wars end.”
“The game is rigged. But you can not lose, if you do not play.”
“The King stay the King.”
“I’ll take any motherfucker’s money, if he just giving it away.”
“You happy now, bitch?”
“But The Game is out there, and its either play, or get played.”
“He was a dead man when he opened his mouth. He just walking around not knowing it.”
“Its all in The Game though, right?”
“Worrying about you, be like wondering if the sun is gonna’ come up.”
“Conscience, do cost.”
“Man, money ain’t got no owners. Only spenders.”
“We used to make shit in this country, build shit. Now, we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket.”
“So, one thieving politician trumps 22 dead bodies. Good to know.”
“You put fire to everything you touch. Then you walk away while it burns.”
“Thin line, between heaven and here.”
“Naw’ man, there’s games beyond the fucking Game.”
“No doubt.”
“Don’t matter if he said it or not. People think he said it. Can’t let that shit go.”
“This game is rigged man. We’re like them little bitches on that chess board.”
“This. Is bullshit.”
“Making robberies into larcenies, making rapes disappear. You juke the stats, and Majors become Colonels.”
“The bigger the lie, the more they believe.”
“It ain’t easy, civilizing‒this motherfucker.”
“Do the chair[person] know we gonna’ look like some punk ass bitches out there?”
"Did he have a face? Yes? Then it wasn't us."
“Look the part, be the part, motherfucker.”
“Never mind you, why. Why, ain’t in your repertoire no more.”
“You follow the drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But, you start to follow the money... and you don’t know where the fuck its going to take you.”
“The world is a smaller place now.”
"No one wins. One side just loses more slowly."
“You’d rather live in shit, than let the world get to see you work a shovel.”
“No offense son, but that’s some weak ass thinking. You equivocating like a motherfuck.”
"You want it to be one way. But it's the other way."
“If it’s a lie, then we fight on that lie.”
"Deserve got nothing to do with it. It's his time, that's all."
“He does not get to win. We get to win.”
“Shit never fucking changes.”
“Ain’t no shame in holding onto grief. As long as you make room for other things too.”
“My name, is my name.”
“There you go again, giving a fuck when it ain’t your turn.”
“A man must have a code.”
“Jesus. What the fuck did I do?”
“We ain’t got a dream no more, man.”
“Maybe, the whole thing is over, and no one thought to tell us. Maybe we won?”
“All in the game, ya’ll. All in the game.”

This series is what paved the way for shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, House of Cards, The Americans, Better Call Saul, Deadwood, and Vikings. Critics incorrectly give too much credit to The Sopranos for this. Granted, The Sopranos developed the anti-hero to a new level, but the writing was a mess, especially after the first couple of seasons, and the ending was poor.

Re-watching the series now is slightly dated, only because of the incredible pace of advancement in phone technology. And there is one scene that doesn’t pass the realism test thrown in at the very end of one episode. I’ll give you a hint: This individual may be a bastard, but there is no way he is a bitch. I admit I can be a nitpicker for things that don’t line up just so, and this is the only flaw I noticed during the entire series. Despite the passage of time this show still holds up with anything out there.

Miami Vice
Changed television similar in the way The Wire did, only 30 years earlier. It was ground breaking at the time, and on network television, where The Wire was an HBO subscription only which limited its initial exposure. There was nothing better than being allowed to stay up late at night to watch Crocket and Tubbs take down drug dealers in Miami Beach. Fantastic guest stars and yet to be stars. Set the style with an incredible soundtrack. It even had a pet alligator named Elvis. It took new angles questioning the morals in the fight between good and evil and the futility of it all. It had a little trouble the last two seasons, but the first three were 10’s. And nothing will ever be cooler than riding down Miami Beach on the way to take down a drug lord with Phil Collins In the Air Tonight playing as the soundtrack.

Cheers
Where everybody knows your name. Over 300 episodes, when that meant something. Just a really good sitcom. I’ll never forget hearing Cliff’s Buffalo Theory. It explains why you feel smarter when you drink, hell, there’s even a band named after it. I was young when this show started and I still got it.

Law and Order
Great crime drama. It followed a crime from action to resolution touching all the players involved while exploring social issues. Led to a host of spin offs.

Deadwood
Very niche, so I have placed it last, but I loved this show. It falls short only because the network cancelled it before it could be totally completed and the story and several story arcs remain unfinished.

Honorable Mentions:
The Simpsons
South Park
(I just couldn’t put cartoons in my top five.)
Mash
Tool Time
Roseanne
And I'll second Emperor's calls on The A Team, Knight Rider, and The Fall Guy. And I enjoyed Robot Wars in both iterations LG, just not to the level of other stuff.
Darn near forgot The Dukes of Hazard.

A couple of shows I’m watching now with promise are Legion and Better Call Saul. I also have Breaking Bad on DVD, just haven’t watched it yet. Someone else mentioned Lucifer, which I like, but I’ve missed a few episodes and haven’t been bothered by it, so its not quite good enough for me. I am holding off until Game of Thrones is complete, but I have read the books, and I know it will be great. I just hope I haven’t placed my expectations too high to end up somehow disappointed.

I can't stop editing this post!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:17 pm 

Dukes of Hazzard was one I never got to see, although I did have the little orange car. I haven't seen the US Law and Order but really enjoyed the UK version so will give it a go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:13 pm 
Acclaimed member

I'm gonna throw one out there, and hopefully it isn't too niche for you chaps:

TOP 5 GAMING

And I say gaming, as it covers consoles, desktop games etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm 

LoneGunner wrote:
The creators could not have cast a more suitable actor than Sean Bean as Richard Sharpe, and it had a strong supporting cast.

As I have only seen bits of this show I decided to look a little closer and found this from Wikipedia:
Initially, Paul McGann was cast in the title role; however, two weeks into filming of the first episode in Ukraine, McGann injured his knee playing football and was forced to withdraw. When production started again a month later, Sean Bean took over the role. Author Bernard Cornwell was so impressed by Sean Bean's performances that he dedicated one of the novels, Sharpe's Battle, "to Sean Bean".

So they don't deserve quite as much credit as you are giving them. I think there are some future topics in there, Best Performance by an Actor Not Originally Cast, Movies that Would Have Benn Totally Different With the Initial Lead.

LoneGunner wrote:
I'm gonna throw one out there, and hopefully it isn't too niche for you chaps:

TOP 5 GAMING

And I say gaming, as it covers consoles, desktop games etc.

Sorry, I'm not much of a gamer, other than FM. I've never even played FIFA. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:55 pm 
Acclaimed member

Jase wrote:
Initially, Paul McGann was cast in the title role; however, two weeks into filming of the first episode in Ukraine, McGann injured his knee playing football and was forced to withdraw.

Yeah, coincidentally I found that out yesterday when researching the Bernard Cornwell books.

Bouncing back to the Series Top 5 - and I knew I would forget one - Black Sails. My favourite modern series, even more so than Game of Thrones. Pirates of the Caribbean with more grit, more ships, more swords, more fights, more double-crossing whilst still retaining a healthy dose of humour (Jack Rackham is a superb character).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:46 am 

TOP 5 GAMING

By no means am I a serious gamer but will have a go. I like a game that's easy for me to grasp the basics of and doesn't require me to perform some sort of mindboggling act to uncover a special secret.

1 Super Mario Kart (N64 edition). Enjoyed all versions of this but had the most fun on this console. Turbo boosts round corners were easy enough to achieve with practise but were by no means guaranteed.

2 Super Mario Land. My first game (other than free Tetris) bought for me on the Gameboy and the first game I ever completed. Great music too!

3 ISS 64. I was almost untouchable on this at uni, especially as I had created my own team and due to a freakish circumstance had managed to create a player with stats of 99 across the board (the maximum). That, plus the commentator sounding like he was having an orgasm every time he said 'Norway' was just lovely.

4 The Footballer (Commodore 64). Could be a bugger to load, as were all tape games back then. We only had one TV so the only time I could play it was Sunday lunchtimes when Dad was having a cheeky beer and Mum was preparing the chicken. Therefore I never finished a season but it was my first ever experience of a football managing game and I loved it. It featured the unusual quirk of several Neil Aspins being available for transfer approximately once a fortnight.

5 Football Manager 2005. I have probably played this game longer than any other combined. Had a game where I cheated wildly and another where I played it legit. Loved it. I think my version needed patches but who cares?

Honorable mentions: Granny's Garden and Dinosaur Egg - the only two games we ever played on our yearly allocated slot on the one school computer.

Streets of Rage on the Megadrive and Game Gear because you could do a back suplex on the enemy.

Grand Theft Auto (the version before Vice City) on the PS2 for the music and the fact you could follow a map to complete your mission or just drive around causing mayhem.

Super Mario World 64. I was always more of a Nintendo guy, even though game releases took aeons and Yoshi was a prehistoric pain in the arse.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:28 am 

Thanks to Jase for the second part of TV and Film. Next category is:

Best Movies That Were Not Initially Hits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm 

I was just rereading some of the posts on this topic picking up some of the suggestions for listening material. I also picked out a few things to comment on.

Emperor wrote:
...and then totally disappearing, a little like Vanilla Ice.

Funny FYI on Ice, he's been the host of a home improvement show called The Vanilla Ice Project on one of the Do It Yourself/Home Repair channels here for the last few years, and stranger yet, is that its not a joke, he knows what he is doing. Even if he is the only contractor I have ever seen wear a flat brimmed hat. Weird world.

LoneGunner wrote:
W.A.S.P
This could be a trick of time, as they are well before mine, and a result of shifting music focus and hair rock going out of fashion. WASP are another of those bands, though, that never seem to come up in any discussion of classic bands from a previous era. I have six of their albums now and each hit the spot. And they/Blackie are still releasing quality material three decades after they were founded, music that puts most contemporary bands to shame.

Emperor wrote:
WASP
They seem to be regarded as a bit of a joke. I watched some bald guy with a little pony tail discuss the line up at Donington in '92. He almost dismissed WASP and he's not the first musical journo I've seen do that. Some awesome tracks, incredibly tight live in the early days and not many vocalists have the range of Blackie Lawless.

In the US they were virtually never played on the radio, so general exposure was a huge issue. By the same token, Metallica overcame the very same problem at their start to become a huge band, so I can’t only blame that. In search of an answer I took some time to listen to them for the last few days. Sort of rediscover them if you will. A few things pop out to me.

1) There is no intro or outro, or very minimal, at the beginning or ending of songs.
2) I’m not sure how to explain this, but there is seldom any story in the lyrics. They also don’t always fit or are disjointed for me.
3) There is a distinct lack any type of hook or beat to hang on.
4) In general, the songs are very much the same all the way through. This kind of ties back to the first thing. Add in there not being much for guitar solos, alternate choruses, or the need for a bridge within the songs, and, yeah, a lot of sameness.

They have the vocals (if not great, certainly unique and fitting to their sound). The band can play their instruments and the playing in general seems tight. They have a signature style. Altogether it seems like there is a great band there. I think they just don’t know how to fully craft a song to put them over the top. Without looking I’m guessing they write all their own material. It would be interesting to hear them cover some other bands tunes or see what they could do with some other material.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:33 pm 

Best Movies That Were Not Initially Hits

1 Dazed and Confused
"Alright, alright, alright!" Coming of age movie set in the seventies about the last day of school. Though it opened with great reviews it only managed to gross 8 million. Labeled a cult classic, I think it has out grown that. Quentin Tarantino included it on his list of the 10 greatest films of all time in the 2002 Sight and Sound poll.

2) A Christmas Story
A holiday classic. Received good reviews, but only made 19 million in initial release, though it did win some accolades and awards at the time. Now it is a holiday season staple, even airing for 24 hours strait on Christmas eve through Christmas day in the US.

3) The Usual Suspects
A great crime mystery. It sucks that the taint of of the recently exposed Kevin Spacey now pervades the film. Mixed reviews and only earned 32 million in its initial release. Gave us the myth of Keyser Söze.

4) Groundhog Day
Harold Ramis comedy with Bill Murray starring. Opened to mixed, but generally favorable reviews, but only ranked 15th in gross for releases that year. Has gone on to become a classic.

5) Caddyshack
And I don't even like golf. Comedy that opened to poor reviews, though it eventually grossed 17th for movies released that year. Mostly a slapstick comedy with some fun quotes crossing into the pop culture lexicon. Released in 1980, it has been named on lots of classic movie lists for sports and comedy since the 2000's. And another Harold Ramis movie with Bill Murray in it.

I'll save my honorable mentions to give everyone else a shot at their lists first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:26 pm 
Acclaimed member

I watch so few movies, let alone have a historical knowledge of them, to the point I can't contribute to the latest offering.

I am ready and waiting to jump on the next list though :thumbup:

In the meantime, I'll answer my own list that died on its arse: TOP 5 GAMING

1. Championship Manager/Football Manager
It had to be no.1 as it is the only 'game' that I can actually trace back nearly two decades. That in itself is ludicrous, but I'd be frightened to even contemplate how many hours I've dedicated to the cause. Within the series, the ones around 2000-2003 would have been the most played, back when I was late teens and/or Uni. FM15 is probably my favourite game of the series in recent years, alongside FM17.

2. Destruction Derby
I was the kid with an original PlayStation, Destruction Derby was the game that had me badgering the parents. Remember playing the demo of this back in Toys 'R' Us in '94 and couldn't get enough of it. Even though it didn't have many modes or tracks (by modern standards) I played it to death, a revolutionary game and my all-time most memorable game on any platform.

I even tried to emulate it on my PC a few years ago; it didn't work. :(

3. Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat/Dark Omen
Two successive titles earning equal status. I grew up on Games Workshop as my old man was a hobby painter; rarely actually played the games, but loved reading White Dwarf when it wasn't a toilet-rag. So to have two Warhammer Fantasy Games on PlayStation was a godsend. I 'completed' Dark Omen more times than I care to think.

4. Twisted Metal: World Tour
Unsurprisingly, another PlayStation offering. Again, a very limited game with only 9 'worlds'. But I had a mate who lived next door and we'd split screen this for hours.

5. Worms
The original one, before it got all Armageddon. Has there ever been a better - yet more simple - multiplayer game. Funniest game I've ever, or ever will, play. Whoever dev'd this, I hope he is rich, living like a king, driving a Ferrari and has three beautiful Swedes on his arm, because he deserves it.

Honourable mention:
Close Combat - my old man got me into this, but our attempts to play one of the originals were always thwarted by internet disconnection and lack of dev in the game. However, we bought 'Panthers in the Fog' recently and it runs like a charm. Who would have thought a 2d military game could be so much fun, in these days of ultra-realism. Flippin' love this game.

TOCA: Touring Car Championship - For its time, the graphics on this were superb, the first proper racing game I enjoyed. Again, had a mate who lived nearby, and we'd blast through this for hours.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:06 am 

Took me a while but here goes. Based on a mixture of box office failure for some and generally poor reviews - admittedly I had to do a bit of research to confirm this.

1 Shawshank Redemption

A film I first watched as a student in 1998 having recorded it on video and labelled it as 'Shankshawe.' I could watch this again and again; couldn't give a rats how the poster stuck itself back down, just a wonderful film.

"I read it...you know how to read? You ignorant fuck."

2 Scrooge (1951)

We watched this every Christmas Eve for most of my life. Only an opinion but the best version of the book ever, with the wonderful Alaster Sim and a very young Arfur Daley.

3 Teen Wolf

Not as good as 'Back to the Future' but that's a tough yardstick. Loved the film, soundtrack and the way that high school students look closer to 30 than 20. "Give me a keg of beer."

4 Friday 13th VIII - Jason Takes Manhatten

The very first Jason film I watched and very surprised to see it was regarded so poorly in reviews and the box office. It did enough to make me watch the rest of the series and for a franchise about an undead drowned child who wears a hockey mask and kills people, that was fine by me.

5 Tango and Cash

Lousy reviews but I enjoyed it. Good old FUBAR.

Honourable mention to 'Jaws: The Revenge'. Not sure what people expect from a film about a shark, other than some people getting eaten by said shark which is then destroyed at the end.

Guys, feel free to suggest the next Top 5. I'm thinking about a Top 5 of songs you would want to hear if they were the last you ever heard, but that's so bleak, plus liable to change depending on mood.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm 

Seems this one died a quick death. Before it goes completely I want to add some others to the list.

The Princess Bride - My toughest omission, campy and classic.
The Shinning - I didn't realize this wasn't initially successful. Shelley Duvall as the lead actress probably hurt it. For a fun diversion check out the re-cut made for as a trailer on You Tube called: The Shining Recut, HD.
A Clockwork Orange - Another Stanley Kubrick directed film like The Shinning.
Blade Runner - Haven't seen the 2049 sequel yet, but looking forward to it.
The Professional - Launched Natalie Portman.
Office Space - When you just hate work.
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - Stylized and a bit odd, but fun.
Event Horizon - Murder mystery in space.
The Wizard Of Oz - There's no place like home.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next