It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top 5
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 pm 
Acclaimed member

Emperor wrote:
Top 5 of songs you would want to hear if they were the last you ever heard

As I couldn't contribute to the film list, I'll take this on:

Five all-time favourite tracks comin' right up:

1. The Cranberries - Zombie
The greatest song my aural faculties have been blessed with. The lyrics, the emotion in the delivery, the building guitar culminating in that mesmeric little solo towards the climax of the song. Tremendous, hits like a train.

2. Alice In Chains - Rooster
Another story of conflict, this time seen through the eyes of Jerry Cantrell's Vietnam vet father. Meandering, at times menacing, and topped with Layne Staley's god-like vocal.

3. Pearl Jam - Black
Six minutes of anguished, unrequited love, culminating in a majestic final two minutes of guitar and harmony that tops even Zombie. So good I had to go and listen to it again simply writing about it.

4. Garbage - I Think I'm Paranoid
Shirley Manson in her heyday, spitting fire and brimstone. Nice guitar hook knits the song together around the verses, and it was supported by a strong, jagged, black and white video. Great song.

5. Tool - Vicarious
Maynard James Keenan at the height of his not-insubstantial songwriting powers, allied to a vicious vocal delivery and sound throughout this seven-minute opus. If you can rely on Keenan for anything, it is a take on human condition and the general fuckery of the world; this is Aenema, but even better.

Just missed the cut:
The Mayan Factor - Warflower
Bjork - Play Dead
Tool - Aenema
Placebo - The Bitter End
The Gathering - Amity

As an aside, my 'funeral songs' have been a long-running joke between myself and other half; Alice In Chains' Them Bones and Down In A Hole.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:36 am 

Pepper Keenan was awesome at Donington '95. Gave it everything for their half hour slot before Warrior Soul came out and clearly couldn't be arsed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:56 am 

This was tough and I suspect that it would be subject to change if I revisited. Some of my choices mean more than a song to me because of the lyrics or the time they remind me of, while some are just tunes that appeal to me.

1. Both Sides Now - Paul Young and Clannad
A beautiful song with lyrics that meant a lot to me as a teen and still do now, even the fluffy ones (no pun intended) about clouds.

2. For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
They were always going to be in here so it was a question of which song, almost definitely off the 2nd or 3rd album. Love the bass intro and the almost relentless thrash of the guitars.

3. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Structurally one of the most unique songs I have ever heard with a mix of rock, ballad and almost opera.

4. Would - Alice in Chains
Lyrics that are almost painful to listen to combined with a hauntingly hopeless melody which is beautiful at the same time.

5. Everybody Changes - Keane
Originally at 4 but knocked down and on another day could be out the top 5 but love the tune. It's incredible live and great for belting out while alone in the car.

Honorable mentions:

'Wasted Years' and 'Afraid To Shoot Strangers' by Iron Maiden
'My Immortal' Evanescence
'You Get What You Give' by New Radicals, which reminds me of a very emotional time at college
'Something Stupid' sung by Frank and Nancy Sinatra. Great song and the soundtrack to a car advert (Peugeot I think) from my teens which featured to my teen self, the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Buggered if I can find it on YouTube.
'Dream On' by Aerosmith - great song with a tonsil shredding climax.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:09 am 

1) Chariots of Fire – Vangelis
Really the only choice for me, and my list should probably just end here, but this is supposed to be a top five.

2) The Gambler – Kenny Rodgers
"And somewhere in the darkness, the gambler he broke even, but in his final words I'd found an Ace that I could keep."

3) Amarillo By Morning – George Strait
Great voice, vocals, arrangement. Quintessential country.
Reminds me of that exchange in the Blues Brothers film when the Blues Brothers band is stealing another band's gig.
Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Waitress: Oh, we've got both kinds, country and western.

4) Knocking on Heaven’s Door – Guns n’ Roses
Love the overlaid vocals. Fitting song to end with.

There were a multitude of contenders for number five, but ultimately I decided none of them were in the same class as my top four.
American Pie – Don Mclean
In the Air Tonight – Phil Collins
This Cowboy’s Hat – Chris LeDoux
A Simple Man – Lynyrd Skynyrd
Love Song – Tesla
Wildfire – Michael Martin Murphy
Highwayman – The Highwaymen (Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, and Johnny Cash)
Song and Emotion – Tesla
After All This Time – Rodney Crowell
The Dance – Garth Brooks
Drifting Days – Pocket Submarine
Hotel California – The Eagles
Nights In White Satin – The Moody Blues
Don’t Fear the Reaper – Blue Oyster Cult (Mostly because of the SNL skit.)

When looking up stuff to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious song this one came up a lot, just too sappy for me though:
What a Wonderful World – Lois Armstrong

I'd like to add a little humorous Top 5 Most Ironic/Irreverent To Hear If They Were The Last You Ever Heard
The Final Countdown – Europe
Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
Highway to Hell – AC/DC
Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked – Cage the Elephant
Always Look at the Bright Side of Life – Eric Idle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:45 am 

Love it! :lol:

Top 5 Most Ironic/Irreverent To Hear If They Were The Last You Ever Heard

All I can hear right now is the John Denver (RIP) song from one of the Final Destination films.

1 A Tout Le Monde - Megadeth
2 This Was My Life - Megadeth
3 Down In A Hole - Alice in Chains
4 Digging The Grave - Faith No More
5 Fade To Black - Metallica

Chris Rea nearly got in there with 'Road To Hell.'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:41 pm 

Let's think about happier times.

Top 5 Cup Finals You Watched Or Went To

All of mine were viewed on TV.

1. 1987 Littlewoods Cup Final vs Liverpool. First trophy I saw Arsenal win, first game they lost when Rush scored first and a classic 1-0 down and 2-1 up.

2. 1998 FA Cup Final vs Newcastle. I was working in a bar in Chester for this and trying my best to serve customers without missing any of the match or even worse, making it clear I didn't want to serve them so that I could watch it uninterrupted.

3. 1994 Cup Winner Cup Final vs Parma. An unbelievable defensive display in a final in which were dominated, had Wright suspended and a ref who allowed 52 minutes in the first half and 49 in the second. 24 years ago, seems bloody incredible.

4. 2002 FA Cup Final vs Chelsea. Another Double and 2 fantastic goals from Ray and Freddie.

5. 2015 FA Cup Final vs Aston Villa. For the fact it was so easy, I could actually relax during a Cup Final.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 pm 
Acclaimed member

It's testament to what we've achieved under Wenger that I struggled to immediately remember each over the last twenty years (apparently we played Southampton in 2003?!)

1. 1994, Parma
They had an outstanding, explosive team at the peak of their powers and we were the underdog. The only European trophy I have seen Arsenal win. Although I remember the '93 League Cup final (younger me falling asleep during extra time and missing the Linighan goal), I don't really remember the FA Cup final. But I remember the Parma game all too clearly, watching it at my grandparents whilst staying overnight as per usual on a Friday after school. That was a good year, with the '94 World Cup.

2. 1998, Newcastle
First FA Cup of the Wenger era, against my home-town club that had Shearer.

3. 2002, Chelsea
"It's only Ray Parlour". Enough said.

4. 2014, Hull
For the way we managed to haul back from a rotten start, where we should have been 0-3 down.

5. 2004, Man Utd (Charity Shield)
Purely for a 16 year old Cesc Fabregas taking the piss out of Utd, by some distance the best kid I'd seen at the Arsenal.

-------
I really wanted to add 2005, Man Utd, not for the game, but solely because we were shite and should have lost by a cricket score, yet somehow managed to keep a clean sheet and win it on pens. But I couldn't shift Fabregas.

Outside of Arsenal, 2001's epic Liverpool 5-4 Alaves (aet) stands out.

Last edited by LoneGunner on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:38 pm 

The Linighan goal was the FA Cup final - with a broken nose following the most blatant elbow ever by Mark Bright. Steve Morrow and the broken limb was the League Cup.

It never even occurred to me to put down a non-Arsenal final. Everton beating Man Utd in '95 was pretty funny and although it's not a Cup, I loved watching my dad's team, Bradford get promoted from League 2 against Northampton (I think).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

Emperor wrote:
The Linighan goal was the FA Cup final

Yes, of course, so it was :lol:

Here's a shout for a new topic: Five favourite current Premier League players (non-Arsenal)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:17 pm 

Great shout :thumbup:

1. Sergio Aguero - Fantastic striker and liked him when he was at Atletico.

2. David De Gea - Thought Fergie had another Taibi when he signed this thin little guy but what a keeper.

3. César Azpilicueta - Instead of square pegs in round holes, this guy really is versatile and extremely consistent.

4. Seamus Coleman - Should have been snapped up by bigger and better than Everton, now coming back from horrible injury.

5. Yaya Toure - no longer the force he was but Vieira-esque in the way he would slalom through midfield like he had a force field round him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:50 pm 
Acclaimed member

A great question!

Roberto Firmino - Probably the forward I most admire in the PL right now. He’s a fantasticly hard worker and has adapted to his role in that Liverpool side so very well. Coutinho was a star for Liverpool, Mane has had his shining moments and Salah is a player on fire but Firmino makes it all happen. Brilliant player, the type of player you wish Welbeck could be...

Cesar Azpilicueta - Is there a more consistent defender in this league? Or one as versatile? Easily one of the best signings for Chelsea this decade.

Kevin De Bruyne - Words can’t do justice with him, just watch him and that paints all the picture you need. Having him and David Silva in the same side must be like having 20 Christmases all at once!

David De Gea - Best keeper since Schmeichel in this league for me and the epitome of the wisdom that a class keeper earns you 10 points a season. He’s probably earnt much more than that already.

Christian Erikson - A delightful playmaker thoroughly underrated despite his S*urs affiliations. Amazing they got him for the price they did, and one player I REALLY wish we’d signed instead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 am 
Acclaimed member

Mine:

1. Heung-Min Son
If there was an award for 'most underrated' player, Son would be in the mix. Scores for fun, assists for fun, two-footed, one of the best dribblers in the league, hard-working and goes past defenders like they are treading in treacle. Yet is still just really a squad player and the name most likely to be benched. Misses the odd easy chance but, other than that, brilliant player.

2. Roberto Firmino
Huge fan of Firmino as an attacking midfielder/support striker in the exciting Hoffenheim side with Volland. If you looked up the term 'false 9' in a footballing dictionary, you'd see Firmino grinning back at you.

3. Kevin De Bruyne
He's just disgusting. Awesome in every phase of the game.

4. Cesar Azpilicueta
The round peg for every round hole, can't dislike a guy who can play all along the backline or wingback and excel everywhere.

5. Harry Kane
Right foot, left foot, head, volley, power shot, kneecap, deft flick, arse-cheek - the shitbag scores every type of goal a striker can. Then you watch the game against Huddersfield and he puts in a pinpoint cross for Son to score like it's nothing, exactly as Shearer used to do. The closest equivalent to the baldy Geordie since he retired.

----
Outside of the top-end, my under-the-radar pick would be Jamaal Lascelles. A young man Captaining his side in difficult circumstances, a shouty type of leader who organises and is composed. And Manuel Lanzini; clever little playmaker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:04 pm 

De Gea

De Bruyne

Azpilicueta

First three already covered.

Antonio Valencia - amazingly consistent for someone who has been basically ignored for his entire United career.

Willian - glue guy that keeps things turning over, love him even though he is used like a squad player at Chelsea.

Good shout on Lanzini.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:52 am 

I was thinking about this before the sad deaths of Ray Wilkins and Eric Bristow and I was reminded to do it by a line in one of the papers yesterday; can't remember which but it was along the idea of, if you are sad, reflect on the fact there's x billion people in the world and you get to be alive at the same time as Messi and Ronaldo.

So with that in mind, whom, from the vast world of sport, do you feel blessed to have seen in your lifetime?

Top 5 Sporting Heroes Of My Lifetime

I will start by admitting my list is flawed as it doesn't have Ronaldo there but I don't care; it's my list and I don't like him.

1 Usain Bolt - I remember watching Ben Jonson do 9.79 in 1988 and after the subsequent scandal thinking I would never see the like again. Yet Bolt burst on the scene and not only set a freakish time for the 100m but the 200m as well. Can't remember who, but one commentator said after his 9.58 in the 100m that 'the person who will beat that hasn't even been born yet.' Unbelievable.

2 Lionel Messi - I'm just old enough to remember the handball by Maradona, seeing the real Ronaldo, etc. He's the best player I've ever watched on TV and considering the reported medical issues regarding growth is all the more phenomenal. Ridiculous goal scoring record.
If I ever see another player in my lifetime better than him, I hope like hell he plays for Arsenal.

3 Steve Davis - along with Jimmy White, he is the main reason I keep an eye on snooker today. Funnier than anyone would ever think and other than Liverpool at the time, he was the main person you would expect to win. Considering his stay in the upper echelons after a last World Championship win and remaining competitive, he is a true snooker great.

4 Ronnie O'Sullivan - I was in my room at college trying to write an essay when he did the 147 against Mick Price in 5 minutes and a bit. I don't believe I will ever see that time beaten purely because of the accuracy required. I actually think that record (timewise) will last longer than Bolt's 9.58 in the 100m although it won't get the same attention.

5 Andy Murray - Purely for the fact I never thought I would see a Brit win Wimbledon, not considering the other majors. I watched Jeremy Bates, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman (as well as an awesome match between Ivanesevic and Chris Bailey, can't remember the year) and each time it was a Britless final. To then do it again, as well as in the US and the Olympics makes him an easy final pick.

Honorable mentions: Roger Federer, Jonathon Edwards, Brian Lara and Mo Farah.

Mention which may be scoffed at: The Undertaker. I know it's not a sport but when someone who laughs at wrestling and those who watch it say, 'Oh I've heard of him,' you know someone has done their job correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:08 pm 

1) Michael Jordan - Maniacal will to win. The gulf between him and anyone else is pretty big for me.

2) Barry Sanders - Football is supposed to be a team sport, but this guy did it all on his own. Quickness, agility, balance, vision, the most elusive guy I ever saw.

3) Bolt - I'm not much of a track and field guy, but yeah.

4) Messi - Proves you don't have to be the biggest or the fastest to be the best.

5) Jerry Rice - By some margin is the all-time leader in most major statistical categories for receivers. And he did it in an era before the rules coddled receivers.

Honorable Mentions:
Bo Jackson - Two sport star (Football and Baseball) who could have been a great professional athlete in about five different sports if he had chosen, the modern day Jim Thorpe.
Tiger Woods and Wayne Gretzky - I don't even like golf or hockey.

Last edited by Jase on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next