It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FM17
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:54 pm 
Acclaimed member

Beta out today.

Just fired it up and let one match run-through to get a feel for how it plays. Looks promising, with a nice fluidity to the engine, good and varied interplay, the odd pass going astray.

Main negative is the insistence on changing screens around so everything feels unfamiliar and not a huge fan of the two-tone green-tinted squad screens, not the easiest on the eye.

Still, looking forward to playing this in a couple of months once the community have sorted out some kit, logo and facepacks, the first patch has been released, and someone has sorted out a team name fix.

Post subject: Re: FM17
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:59 am 
Acclaimed member

Normally the facepacks and logos etc can be imported if you create the relevant folder in FM17 and move across, might be worth looking at. I have been able to import stuff fromFM14 to FM15 and FM15 into FM16 successfully in the past.

For the first time in years I am not sure if I am going to purchase it straight away, I probably will buy it at some point though if I see a good deal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:04 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

I'll get it when the actual version comes out - the features and match engine look great though.

Quite enjoying my Inter game on FM16 at the moment. Won the league in first season, was third by about 17 points in second season and now top again half way through third season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:04 pm 
Acclaimed member

The addition of variant forms of Brexit adds a whole new dimension to a UK save.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:48 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

LoneGunner wrote:
The addition of variant forms of Brexit adds a whole new dimension to a UK save.

And also a masterstroke of PR!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 pm 
Acclaimed member

Been playing the beta a bit and feels fine, the logo and facepacks etc. import well from FM16 so I'm decently sorted until someone puts out a nice, clean skin. Mostly feels like a slew of quiet improvements, they've said transfer AI will be better but will have to play a few years to find that out.

Keepers seem less idiotic than before, though I had an apoplectic moment when we were up 2-1 to Chelsea, Cech insisted on dribbling the ball outside the box before kicking it, it hits the onrushing Costa, ball bobbles towards empty net.... and hits the post... then Cech, rushing back to get it, hits the ball back towards the net... then recovers.... then clears the ball away, only to hit Costa who is now 3 inches away from goal... before it goes out! :lol:

Wingers 'shoot-crossing' from a million miles away still happens, but as much as before.

Delighted that players will actually square the ball for a tap-in now, instead of shooting from narrow angles every single time.

Having fun experimenting with some of Wenger's controversial tactical choices in the past; Alexis as false nine and Ramsey on the right letting Bellerin ovevrlap is interesting, and they've definitely reflected Iwobi's rise in ability.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:44 am 
Marketing & Enhancement

I've gone for a very challenging game starting as my home town St.Albans in the Conference South. It's good fun but tricky at that level and it's hard to get any consistency. Tactics go out the window a lot of the time and mistakes are so common you wonder why you bother spending hours trying to tweak changes.

As a game I think the improvements have all made it an improved experience. I don't care much for the social feed and I think some of the comments on there make a mockery of the game, but I can see why people would like that feature.

How's everyone else getting on?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:11 pm 
Acclaimed member

-Jk- wrote:

I have started with Parma in Serie C. I always tend to play career games and start lower level and work my way up but in this case, it is the fallen giant challenge.

They have gotten rid of the Steam Hero achievements, now just having one solitary Hero achievement rather than English hero, Scottish hero etc. I used to play for them, may make me though try different things.

I like the game, it is smoother than FM16 and I think plays better. Don't really care for the Social Feed but it is nice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:16 pm 
Marketing & Enhancement

Tubzinho wrote:
-Jk- wrote:

I have started with Parma in Serie C. I always tend to play career games and start lower level and work my way up but in this case, it is the fallen giant challenge.

How's it going so far?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:25 pm 
Acclaimed member

Got them promoted to Serie B as Champions, eased to the title really. I have a decent 4-2-3-1 tactic that I am using which I got online and I seem to be doing OK with it. Now currently going into my favourite part i.e. the summer where I can build my new squad for the coming campaign. Parma have a decent reputation so can attract some half decent players so it won't be as bad as going up through the divisions with a team like St Albans. However I do need to clean out the side, as there is a lot of aging players and rubbish players taking up resources.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:09 am 
Acclaimed member

I've gone all South American.

Started a game with Argentinos Juniors in the 2nd Division. I've thought about an Argentinian file for a while, and with the new version and getting the kits sorted out, I couldn't resist the club who produced Maradona and Riquelme. There are some cool little sub-plots within the club too; Riquelme's younger brother is within the U21s and there are three offspring of Carlos Javier MacAllister within the youth ranks too, a former Argentinos leftback and who played in the qualifiers of the '94 World Cup.

I've also started an online game in the Brasileiro with the old man too, convincing him to get away from the big leagues. Gremio and Botafogo respectively. The amount of young talent within the Brazilian divisions is disgusting!

Using a 3-2-2-2-1 'box' midfield with wingbacks, fancied developing something different after mainly sticking to the 4123 and 4141 in FM15.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 pm 
Acclaimed member

How are people's games going?

I've been trying a Leicester save, plucky old Felix Pulverkast on a mission to turn a one-hit wonder into a lasting powerhouse. It's actually a nice setup from a gameplay perspective - you start with some good players that can easily be unsettled and think they're too good for the club, you have to deal with the mostly overpriced duds Ranieri has brought in for the new season, and you've got a lot of aging players to replace on a good but not unlimited budget.

First season, finished 7th but that was flattering, with only 3 points separating us from 12th. (Missed out on UEFA Cup though, as Sunderland won the FA Cup - which, to be honest, is a relief.) We did manage to reach QF in Europe, then to be flogged by Barcelona. Jamie Vardy carried the team from start to finish with a ridiculous shot-to-goal ratio, bagging the Golden Boot; we typically played a disciplined counter-attack 4-4-2, relying on the team's exceptional work rate to cover ground and Vardy to get on balls into space.

One piece of drama was Nempalys Mendy, Ranieri's signing to replace Kante. Not only was he rubbish, he got himself sent off 3 times in 5 games across 3 different competitions! :lol: When I fined his sorry ass he dared to complain to the media, at which point I flogged him on January 1 and spent big to bring in Danilo Pereira (Porto, 25m). I was delighted to see him bring back some defensive stability to the team - and even more delighted to see Mendy, now at Southampton, utterly tank his career. :wave:

Really began the surgery from second season, often bringing in young players not given a chance at bigger clubs - the likes of M'Baye Niang (Milan, 14m), Angel Correa (A.Madrid, 13m). Funds were raised through the sale of Riyad Mahrez (R.Madrid, 45m) - good money, I thought, and obviously he became the new Hleb over there - while I managed to resist Vardy's efforts to force a move. Also gave a chance to one local boy in left-back Ben Chilwell, who seems to developing decently. Luckily, perhaps reflecting last season, FM17 seems to show the bigger teams to be more prone to occasional collapses - Chelsea or United at midtable - leaving plucky little Leicester with a shot at returning to the Champions League. With more heroics from Vardy, we just squeeked into 4th place - as Arsenal won their second title in a row. Hey, if this is the only place we can do it... :lol:

Champions league money provided impetus for further reinforcements, especially to upgrade the aging team for consistent European finishes. (With Leicester, 4th place really is a trophy.) With players often tapped up by big clubs some departures were inevitable: Danny Drinkwater left for Monaco, and Danilo Pereira, after only 18 months, wouldn't shut up - and was flogged to Bayern at a very good price (42.5m). Now the squad looks quite very different, and the team is having to transition from a defensive, counter-attacking underdog to a team that has to handle the challenges of having more possession, higher expectations, and diversifying beyond "hope Vardy scores today".

Current Squad

GK: Schmeichel took his place back from Zieler, recovering from a broken hand - and surprisingly they are both quite good enough for the Champions League.

DR: Elseid Hysaj (Napoli) is the upgrade from Danny Simpson, though the latter remains a very serviceable backup.

DL: There's a real shortage of proper left backs for sale, and Faouzi Ghoulam (Lazio) has once again proven an expensive mistake-ridden flop for me. Local boy Ben Chilwell is looking a promising prospect.

DC: The big buy here was Stefan de Vrij (Lazio), who helped steady the ship and introduce more pacey, ball-playing elements. Morgan and Huth are still around at age 35, but now I am getting real joy out of 20-year-old Argentinian wonderkid Maximilian Ruiz (Some Argentine Club). 8m pounds and straight into the first team.

CM: Following Danilo and Drinkwater's departure, the preferred duo is now Corentin Tolisso (Lyon) and Sergey Savic (Lazio). The latter's 20 strength, and decent defensive stats all round, help as they constantly run about screening the defence. Andy King is still around, and again, surprisingly good whenever called upon. Currently breaking into the first team is a certain Fran Villalba (Valencia), 20 years old but already a fearless and creative No.10.

MR/L: Demarai Gray and Marc Albrighton remain stalwarts from the Ranieri days, now supplemented by Angel Correa (A. Madrid), with whom I did the 'No.10 into inside forward' Wengerish move, and Son Heung-Min (Tottenham). For me Ahmed Musa was an absolute flop.

ST: I consistently made heavy investments here, especially to make up for the lack of any midfield creativity in the early days. Jamie Vardy's lost none of his pace at age 32, and is now accompanied by M'Baye Niang (Milan), youngster Fabricio Colidio (Some Argentine Club) - and the real star, Miguel Borja. He was a 24-year old scoring big in the Colombian league in 2018, and so I thought at 500k he would be a cheap backup. It turns out he is a fantastic all-rounder far outperforming his stats: a target man who thinks quickly and releases the ball cleverly, as well as finishing well himself. He will constantly pick up forward balls in air or on ground, putting in gentle first-time passes to the onrushing Vardy, then making himself available for the return. Real quality player, at least in this save.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 pm 
Acclaimed member

FM17 has been my favourite iteration of the series.

I've been running two files. In my main game I have taken over Diego Maradona's boyhood club, Argentinos Juniors, who start in the Argentine second division. After earning promotion in the first season with an experimental 32221, I spent two years playing second fiddle to the grandees of Tevez-led Boca and River Plate, before winning a maiden title in my fourth season.

That has been on temporary hiatus as I've been taking part in the Sigames forum's 'Formation Challenge' thread, where users are allocated a default formation at random. We are all playing as Sassuolo and I've just finished second in Serie A with a 4312, outperforming expectations in a very interesting league tactically.

Sassuolo are a really fun team to manage, they have one of the tightest first XIs I've managed at any club. Also scored one of my favourite FM goals ever; Andrea Belotti in the left-side channel does a Cuauhtémoc Blanco bunny hop over a defender's outstretched leg, charges into the box and then produces a Payet-style rabona cross for Domenico Berardi to tap in. I didn't even pick it up until the replay, 10/10 for style points!